TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #211
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

This problem has happened to me twice recently. Once was with a hockey game, which didn't surprise me since isn't on an alternate regional station. But last night it happened with L&O:SVU. Grrrr...

lal
Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #212
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoNeri
I've read through several threads on this issue, most pointing back to here, and I didn't see anything about tracking what shows are dropping. Is anyone tracking to determine any commonality in the shows?

Also, has anyone noticed any patterns in what episodes are deleting? Last night I noticed that Jeopardy and General Hospital (_very_ important for my wife) had dropped this weeks (1 Jan-5 Jan 07) episodes but not the episodes of the week of 8 Jan. However, all episodes of Top Chef had been "lost". I just thought it odd that data on future episodes of some shows would be okay....
I haven't noticed any rhyme or reason to the dropped shows. I have both Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption scheduled daily. Last week ATH was fine but PTI was missing.

I've been hit too many times to count with my two boxes. The only solution I've found is to check the To Do each morning and see if things are ok. If not, I try to force a reindex with a phone call or reboot. For me, reindexing solves the problem. Until it comes back, of course. I'm wondering if DTV is trying the same temporary solution by triggering spontaneous reboots on our boxes?

I spoke to a Tier 2 support CSR yesterday. They are clearly aware of the problem now. One interesting twist is that my CSR was absolutely insistent that DTV now does all the coding for software updates on DTivos. That exactly the opposite of what someone reported here earlier, quoting a Tier 2 rep as saying they passed the problem to Tivo and Tivo had to provide new code within 14 days.

I could tell how many calls they were getting by the fact that I didn't get any freebies from my complaints. Not even free Showtime! You get free Showtime if you call and whine about the weather. They must be getting so many calls that they can't even afford to give freebies.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #213
esteeze

no upcoming shows

I had the problem where all of my 10+ Season Passes were showing "No upcoming shows" on 1/1/2007 (I figure the year rollover triggered some problem). It appears to have "fixed itself" by the next day (1/2) after the indexing process completed (noted this in the System Info screen); I didn't even have to restart the system. I'm on software v 6.3a.

This forum has been very informative regarding this issue.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #214
Jared52

I'm on this list now. I got back from being out of town to find missed recording due to the "Changed Season Pass" issue. Reboot didn't fix it, but it might have been indexing. We just going to have to wait this out?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #215
Chandler Mike
Lost

This just started happening to me this week too.

Noticed Scrubs, Office and 30 Rock recording last week for tomorrow night.

I looked again a few days ago, and The Office was the only thing recording. I go to look WHY and I get that same message. When I look at the season passes for upcoming episodes, my 12-1 station isn't even listed as having an episode this week.

I had to go manually add it.

What gives.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #216
marrone
Phased Member

I gotta check my SPs as well, then.

I've been having problems too, but I thought it was only isolated to one of my kid's shows.

*SIGH*
(Oh, my DSR6000 has been rebooting a lot recently, too)

-Mike
Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #217
daperlman
check the rhime

This is getting totally ridiculous and to top it all off - erasing and re-adding season passes not only does NOT fix. But creates a whole new set of problems.

There is the obvious issue of having to reorder them- but also there are some unexpected results. For example I erased and readded Hannity and Colmes (choosing the 9:00pm first airing) version and setting for max of 1. So I expect it to record every airing (assuming nothing of higher priority is to be recorded). Yet it is 9pm and NOTHING is recording. For some reason it does grab the one from yesterday at 3a????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #218
rb5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperlman
I erased and readded Hannity and Colmes
finger far down throat!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #219
bookends

Well thank goodness I'm not the only one having these problems. I just about had a heart attack the first time I looked in my "upcoming wish list items" and found there were no programs. None at all. And since I have something like 30 wishlists set up, with many generic things like "Roberts, Julia & Movies" (who ALWAYS has at least one sappy movie on Lifetime or Oxygen) I thought my four year old S1 Phillips D*Tivo had finally bit the dust. Or that it was somehow getting infected by my crappy R10, which has the black screen & lockup issues on a regular basis. Thanks to this board I know I'm not going insane, and I'm running the hardcore Clear & Delete Everything on the R10.

Last night when I checked, I was all set up to record All My Children today at noon on the good old S1 DTivo (a manual record, as it hasn't been "seeing" my season pass items consistently for the last two or three weeks). At 1 PM I turned on the TV, and it wasn't there. Tivo tells me it tried to record at 10AM (!) on ABCE (east coast feed, which I do not get) and couldn't get a signal on sat ln 2. In the immortal words of Mr Hat: "You go to hell! You go to hell and you die!" I sighed, set it up to record on soapnet this evening, and then found this board. The thing that kills me is that I did NOT set it up to record at 10AM on the east coast feed. I set it up for noon, channel 7.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #220
r_wolfcastle

More data points on this problem

1. In addition to Season Passes and Wishlists, I look ahead at program data and set up individual movies to record as much as 10 days ahead. Right now my Season Passes and Wishlists are in tatters like everyone else's, but my hand-picked movies are all still in the To-Do List, all the way through 1/11. So if you absolutely want something to record that would normally be recorded by a Season Pass or Wishlist, and it is worth your trouble, go find it in the Guide and set it up to record from there.

2. The other day, things were so screwed up that I went all the way to Defcon 2 and restarted using the option to wipe out the program data and the To-Do List. Luckily, I didn't trust the idiots at DirecTV or Tivo, so I first copied down all my Season Passes and Wishlists, even though the only restart that is supposed to wipe them out is the "Clear & delete everything" option. It is a good thing that I did so -- the "Clear program information & To Do List" blew away 2/3 of my Season Passes and 3/4 of my Wishlists, seemingly at random. I set everything back up, and now 4 days or so later I'm screwed again. Moral of the story: Don't bother with this invasive reboot, as it has no effect on the problem.

3. This is not so much a data point as an observation. As someone who was in the software industry for 25 years building, for the most part, mission-critical software for the enterprise (big business) market, I can tell you without any reservation that this is one of the most major screwups I have ever seen. One of the main reasons it is so serious is that it was so very preventable, and that says very bad things about DirecTV's entire development and certification process.

All they had to do was set up a few Season Passes and Wishlists and let a box run for a week and they would have seen this problem. This is not rocket science, it is standard procedure when testing major new revisions of software. You want to know if a bug takes a few days to evidence, if you've forgotten to clean up files and are filling up the disk, if you need to sanity-check and repair the database more often, etc. There is no (let me repeat that: NO) excuse for this magnitude and breadth of problem.

In addition, the fact that they still say, after 3+ weeks, that they have no clue as to even the nature of the problem, tells me that not only do they not have proper QA procedures and oversight, they also have not taken the responsibility to set up debugging environments that let them find and fix problems in a timely manner. They have failed all of us, and I for one am pissed off (can I say that here? I guess I just did).

Heads should roll in DirecTV development and/or QA management, DirecTV should be made to suffer financially, and if any of this is Tivo's fault then DirecTV should pass the pain on as they see fit. But this is DirecTV's product, and therefore DirecTV's responsibility even if Tivo screwed up, and as far as I am concerned they had better fix this very very soon.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #221
MonyMony

Misery loves company

I feel better knowing it isn't just me. Somehow, I mostly avoided the issue until this week. Well, I did miss a couple of 90210 recordings on the old series1, while I was out of town, that I chalked up to a full harddrive.

I have an old series1 Sony SAT-T60, and two series2s: a Directv DVR R10 that's experiencing no issues, and a Directv HD DVR where the season pass mgr/to-do list has gone all to hell. Of course, that's my main unit. I've manually added recordings for my shows over the next two weeks. Damn, but they better have it fixed by then.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #222
ensor999

Fixed for me

This problem appears to be resolved on my machine (Philips series 1). If you're still having problems, you may want to try rebooting and forcing a phone call. If you happen to have telnet or console access, I suggest cleaning up any large logs (in /var/log) and recent temp files (in /var/tmp), perhaps reboot, and then force a phone call.

I suspect that goony's message (this thread, last week) is correct in that the problem stems from the arrival of 2007 guide data--or more specifically, from the presence of both 2006 and 2007 guide data. 2006 guide data has now expired from my unit and tvlog is no longer growing by leaps and bounds. (The kernel log did grow very large last night with a lot of "DISCARD AudioPES" messages but this eventually stopped.)

I had originally noticed the problem on my system because the todo list suddenly became rather empty. It appears that the guide indexing process uses a fair amount of temp space in /var/tmp, and with the large tvlog this filled up the filesystem before completing. The index is apparently critical to actually using the guide data.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #223
KellyJef

Add me to the list of people having problems.

I have The View and the Price is Right on Season's Passes. Well, today, The View taped twice and the Price is Right not at all

And several other programs on SP's didn't tape today either.

This sucks
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #224
JasonNY

For the past 2 weeks it was only my SAT-T60 that was affected. Today my HR10-250 got hosed. No wishlists. No Season Passes. I found that if you go to search for a program: search by Title, select 1 character (A, for instance), the right side of the screen populates with the shows it has in its Guide database. On my HR10-250, there were only about 20 shows listed instead of the usual hundreds.

Forced a dial up and restart, which has worked on the SAT T60 (although for only about a day at a time before I'd have to do it again).

To r_wolfcastle's point, being a software man myself, this almost has the feeling of being deliberate. There was no way we as developers would ever let a bug this disruptive get this far downstream. If a bug was introduced in a release, it was "all hands on deck" to get it resolved ASAP. I'm certainly not getting the "warm and fuzzy" from DTV that they are pusuing a resolution as diligently as they should be.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #225
carinstaller

I have an R-10. I'm not too happy. Maybe we need to talk to a law firm. A big one that does class action lawsuits!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #226
Bill99

I'm assuming this is a software problem rather than guide problem because of all the reboots. That said, what SCARES me is why are they jacking around with the software... no new features are coming I'm sure. So what kind of "surprises" are they putting on our DTivos? I'm afraid that this is probably not the "ultimate" surprise.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #227
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill99
I'm assuming this is a software problem rather than guide problem because of all the reboots. That said, what SCARES me is why are they jacking around with the software... no new features are coming I'm sure. So what kind of "surprises" are they putting on our DTivos? I'm afraid that this is probably not the "ultimate" surprise.
no commercial skip could be one of those new features(wasn't this rumored awhile back?). imagine how many regular users(not Tivo loyalists) would flock to the R15 if they were told that only it offers commercial skipping.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #228
ozlifter

I just got off the phone with a representative.
She knows about the problem, but only had one piece of advice for fixing it.

1st, with a pen and paper, write down all your season passes and wish lists.
2nd, manually go through and delete every single season pass and wish list.
3rd, unplug the receiver from the wall.
4th, after waiting several seconds, plug it back in.
5th, give it several hours to reboot.
6th, Finally, reprogram your season pass list and wish list.

Will this work? Or will this be a big waste of time for me?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #229
John T Smith

That would probably work... but what I have done is to simply go to the 2nd option (not at that screen, so will most likely garble the option title) to clear thumb ratings and do a restart

Other people have just done option 1, a restart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Old 01-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #230
goony

I'm not convinced that a software download has caused this issue - my DTivo boxes are not connected to the phone line and have the flag that controls software updates DISABLED. Still, I had two boxes with minor problems (they did not record a couple of requested shows).

I have had no instance of spontaneous reboots.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #231
mwarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonNY
...this almost has the feeling of being deliberate. There was no way we as developers would ever let a bug this disruptive get this far downstream. If a bug was introduced in a release, it was "all hands on deck" to get it resolved ASAP. I'm certainly not getting the "warm and fuzzy" from DTV that they are pusuing a resolution as diligently as they should be.
Well, I don't feel it was deliberate. The bug may have been unknown until either: 1) the year 2007 guide data starting coming down or 2)directv tweaked the guide data for some other reason and discovered this unknown problem with TiVo units.

Either way, I agree this is an 'all hands on deck' moment for DirecTV and TiVo. But, let's look at the timeline. Around December 15-17, DirecTV starts receiving calls about this problem. It's gonna take them several days before someone notices a pattern ("Wow.. a whole bunch of TiVo units are reporting problems.. must not be user error"), go to their test boxes and see if they can replicate the problem; find there is a problem; notify TiVo .. oops.. Christmas and New Years holidays are approaching... lots of people out on vacation, etc..

DirecTV and TiVo may not have been running with all hands on deck until this week. Even so, they have to test the solution on a subset of boxes to make sure it doesn't break anything else. That may take a week or more .. I would expect something from DirecTV by the middle of this month -- as long as no other bugs were introduced during testing. Maybe I'll be surprised with something sooner.. But just imagine if they by error sent down an update that broke their ability to update software in the future...

My $0.02 worth....

-Matt
Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #232
tv_watcher

ozlifter: They had me do that before Christmas. They also had me clear out my recorder (all season passes, to do list, with history, but kept hard drive). It worked for about a week. The last time I called (two days ago), they had me do the "Clear and Delete Everything". It wiped everything and made it just like a new install. I really didn't want to do it because I had a lot of items on the hard drive saved, but they acted like they wouldn't help me until I did it. I hadn't found this forum yet so I didn't know others were having the problem. DirecTV acted like my R-10 may just have gone bad and if the clearing out didn't fix it then they would get me new equipment (on the new lease program, of course). Everything is still working but I'm just waiting for it to fail since now I know there is a bigger problem. If it happens again I am going to call and request my Tivo fee be credited back to my account. I shouldn't have to pay for service I'm not getting.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #233
lew

I'm now in a reboot loop. I'm not sure if that's a result of an overnight D/L of service data. I guess I'll have to pull the drive tonight.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #234
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I created a season pass for Knights of Prosperity and In Case of Emergency. Both were on the To Do List when I checked Tuesday night. Wednesday at 9:15pm I turn on the TV and Knights isn't being recorded because "someone changed the season pass." Luckily, it is being rebroadcast Friday night. Emergency recorded without problem.
Now it seems that checking the To Do List isn't enough. It can be there one day and not the next. Wednesday night my Thursday recordings of Earl, 30 Rock, Office and The War at Home were all on the list. Will they be recorded Thursday night? Who knows.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #235
MacQ2

Deleting/re-adding SPs may not be possible

I don't see how I could possibly re-add all my Season Passes if I deleted them as one poster was instructed to do. Many of my SPs are not currently showing. The only way I've ever added programs to SP list was from the current guide data.

I suppose I could add them as Wish List/Title items, but, that would be very very time consuming. I wouldn't be willing to do that based on a DTV tech's suggestion, only if dozens of people here found that to be the only solution.

That all said, after forcing a Daily Call and then power-off resetting several days ago we haven't had any further problems. I had a problem originally on 2 Tivos and both were "fixed" by a reset only to have the problem recur. I'm monitoring them daily just in case.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #236
Gblech

Force a daily call. It works.....no resets, no rebooting, no clearing and deleting everything.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #237
rb5505

you need to email and/or call directv, and tell them what you're saying here. these notes are good for us, but directv needs to hear from you!

email: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/howToReachUs.jsp

home service: 1-800-494-4388
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #238
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

my question on this situation is this, if they made some type of a change which started this why haven't they just rolled back to when the problem didn't exist? I can't imagine they made 100's of changes and they don't know which one it was.

I still think DTV is hoping for a lot of customers to switch from the Tivos to their own DVR by leaving this issue without a fix. I already have an S3 and a DTS2 on their way to me which will be used with Comcast if they don't get this fixed very soon.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #239
Sheowens27

Oy.

I am having problems with my season pass manager and wish lists also. Tivo isn't recording SEVERAL shows I have in the season pass manager, even though I have it towards the top of my list and I have chose it to record 'All with Duplicates'. I get that same excuse, that someone in my household changed the season pass manager, which is NOT true.

I LOVE my Tivo, but it also gives me such a headache!!

I wish I wasn't so addicted to TV.

I'm so glad I found a message board on Tivo (I'm new here). I'll have to read all the suggestions and try them when I get home from work, hope DTV gets this fixed soon.

I feel better just knowing it's not my fault and that others are having the same problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #240
John T Smith

>hope DTV gets this fixed soon

Send an email to DirecTv... the more complaints, the faster they
will work on a solution (well... maybe... who knows with DirecTv)
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/howToReachUs.jsp

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith