TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #181
lmk911

The R10 and HR10-250 that were having problems now seem to be working. However, the R10 that missed the bad data update and was working great is not recording some of my season passes because it is not picking up the information from the guide. Go figure! Now I have to baby-sit three TiVos.

AU9 5-LNB Slimline Dish
2-HR21-700, HR20-100 & HR20-700 - All HDMI
2-Unhacked Sony SAT-60, 2-R10, 1-HR10-250 retired
Sony RDR-HX900 & RDR-HX715 DVD Recorders
Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 PM   #182
Dawghows

FWIW -- Last night the TV was on even though we weren't really watching. At one point I noticed there was a spontaneous reboot. Shortly afterwards, we left for dinner at the neighbor's, so I don't know how this affected anything right off the bat. However, when we got home a couple hours later, everything was back to normal. So far (~22 hours later) everything still seems to be okay.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, none of this seems to be happening on the R-10 unit in our bedroom. It's only on the 80-hour Samsung in the den.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #183
mitchb2

I tried forcing a phone call last night, like someone else suggested. As of this morning, the To Do List seems to be properly populated. But then, it also became 1/1/2007 overnight...so who knows.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #184
newsposter
Poster of News

my wife had a bunch of stuff on the to do list...some didnt record and said 28 day rule...how could it be 28 day rule if it shows up on the to do list?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
Old 01-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #185
cara

Got up this morning, check my to do list. As of last night it was still messed up. This morning though it seems that it may have fixed itself like someone on this thread was told by direct. I really hope so! At least by having this forum I knew it wasn't my tivo.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #186
Cudahy

The wishlist reappeared on our HDtivos a few hours before year end. Have no idea what happened.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #187
mitchb2

I'm sure it was just a great big bunch of user error. :-)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #188
Hexerott

I just got off the phone with DirecTv about this. They said this is a problem they are aware of and they are "actively" working on a solution. It only occurs to Tivo units as most of us seem to be aware.

He didn't have a time frame for a fix but said they know it is a problem and they are working on it.

I imagine the more people that call and complain, the quicker they will fix it.

Sorry no amazing information here but I figured I would let you know what I found out. We have called on this 3 times and the first 2 times DirecTv acted like our Tivo was broken and that we should consider replacing it.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #189
MBfromMI

Mine was screwed up last week, a phone call and a reboot fixed it for a couple days, then today it was all screwed up again with almost all of my season passes removed from the todo list saying someone modified them. I know it wasn't the dog cause he was by my side all day.... I sure hope they fix this. After destroying my hdtivo with 6.3 and now my regular one with this, I'm losing all patience. I've been looking for a reason to cancel and they are really making it an easy decision.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #190
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

My SD HDVR2 box today lost *part* of it's To Do list, with no upcoming programs scheduled for one season pass, even though it was in the guide. I rebooted and a couple of hours later everything is back.

This makes 2 out of 3 boxes that have had this problem within three weeks ... and so far, each has been fine since the reboot.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #191
Hyperion

What CSR/Tech/Supervisor said

I've held off on calling DTV until tonight. After all, this is a well-known issue affecting the entire panoply of DTV-TiVo PVR's and what BS am I going to have to listen to after waiting 20mins + on the phone?

So, what did I hear that wasn't helpful? "Re-enter SP's"; "This is not a problem with DTV units, only TiVos" (no kidding, where do my SP and wishlists get entered into my R15 PoC?); "If this was a problem with our DTV PVR's we could just upload the software modification via satellite and not over the phone" and "this is an issue with customers".

What did I hear that I didn't know? DTV has requested a software update to address the issue from TiVo. Apparently, the master agreement between TiVo and DTV requires TiVo to supply the software programming, and DTV doesn't have anyone who can debug or rectify the problem. So, DTV is waiting on a programming change request that was submitted to TiVo shortly after DTV learned of the problem. I was told that DTV learned of the issue on December 22, 2006. Which, I believe, means that DTV tried to deflect customer complaints for at least 4-5 days before acknowledging that they had a problem. I was informed that TiVo has (typically) 14 days to respond to the programming change request from DTV.

Seems like this would be a case for a good class-action lawsuit. I've sold off my GMH / DirecTv stock in anticipation.

That's the hype anyway.

Weakneed DSR6000R
R15
Old 01-02-2007, 03:07 AM   #192
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion
(the CSR said)"If this was a problem with our DTV PVR's we could just upload the software modification via satellite and not over the phone"
Just for the record of those here that might be new to DirecTivos: DirecTV can roll out software updates for DTivos via satellite too... that is how the SD DTivos received (then new) V6.x of the software initially. The download from the satellite was stored on the box and when the box did one of its "phone home" calls the other end told it to go ahead and install the new version.

After a long while when it appeared that most of the DTivos had received the new version they removed it from satellite distribution and switched it to downloading over the phone.

If there is a new version of software for the DTivos to fix this issue it will be interesting to see how it is distributed. Those of us running "enhanced" DTivos (via the Zipper or other methods) usually have the auto-install of new software disabled so as to prevent any overwrites of local customized files... if there is a new version there will have to be a huddle to decide how to perform the update.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #193
mahyde

My R10 is not recording SP's.......it worked on and off the last couple of weeks.....now back to not working!! I have reset, etc.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #194
Bob Coxner

So much for the "2007 bug" theory. My R10 was working ok yesterday (although it was hit by the problem a couple of times last week). Today, January 2nd, it's back to the standard problems of some items missing from To Do and showing no upcoming episodes for items that are visible in the guide.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #195
mxyztplk

D* rep: problem NOT yet diagnosed, NO estimate on when it will be fixed

This problem affected all of my season passes yesterday (for the first time), on one of my two R10's.

I called D* last night, and the rep said it was a known problem. The rep was knowledgeable about a number of the symptoms/manifestations of the problem.

The rep said unequivocally that they had NOT as yet identified the specific cause of the problem, nor even the general area causing it. I.e., they do not know whether it is related to software or guide data or even something else.

The rep said that, since they had not even identified the cause, they have no estimated date for it to be fixed. I pointed out that this has been happening since mid-December, and keeps recurring, so how are we to be informed when D* purports it to be fixed. I asked if it would be posted on the D* web site somewhere. The rep said it would not, so the only way one would know if it had been purportedly fixed would be to call D*, or if one simply found things to be working well again (presumably for an extended period of time).

The rep did NOT attempt to ascribe the problem to the R10 that was failing, and did NOT ask me to perform any form of test or attempted remedial action on the unit. My description of the problem was sufficient for her to identify it.

I pointed out that some poster(s) had stated that D* rep(s) had earlier stated that the problem was known to be caused by bad guide data or whatever, and that the problem would be gone within a few days. The rep unequivocally stated that, if any such statement was made, it was incorrect.

A clear statement by D* that they know of the problem but do NOT as yet have a handle on it appears to me to be quite credible, inasmuch as it is much easier to deny the problem exists, or to say that everything is under control than it is to admit that it is not.

And so it goes...

Last edited by mxyztplk : 01-02-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #196
Cudahy

A number of different problems are being discussed here. The fact that our wishlists returned as the newyear hit tells me that at least that particular problem may have been a yearend bug.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #197
balboa dave
well rounded

Whatever "it" is, it's still broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner
So much for the "2007 bug" theory. My R10 was working ok yesterday (although it was hit by the problem a couple of times last week). Today, January 2nd, it's back to the standard problems of some items missing from To Do and showing no upcoming episodes for items that are visible in the guide.
I have the same problem. Again. I first got it, like others, in the second week in December, it then fixed itself over a few day period. This morning, it's back. Most of my To Do list is empty again, and this is after checking it carefully last night.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #198
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudahy
A number of different problems are being discussed here. The fact that our wishlists returned as the newyear hit tells me that at least that particular problem may have been a yearend bug.
Not exaclty. Mine disappeared again today. Again, only on my Samsung 80-hour unit, not on my R10.

Regarding the phone vs. satellite updates:

My R10 is not connected to a phone line, and has not exhibited this problem at all. My Samsung is connected to a phone line, and has lost data twice now. Does this match anybody else's experience?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #199
DemRoyer

Possible temporary work-around (at least it's working for me)

I've been following this thread for the past week or so, since I noticed my R10 unit began displaying the same symptoms everyone has described (ToDo List empty, Wish Lists not working, etc.). Recreating Season Passes didn't help at all, since the programs/airings could not be found through the SP or WL interface (although I could see them in the guide). Based on an earlier posting, I decided to try restarting my unit (just restarting it, not deleting my programs or SPs). As the posting had said, resetting didn't initially seem to help, but an hour or so later my unit performed a reindex, at which point everything came back again. My ToDO list was repopulated, my WLs showed results, and my SPs showed all airings of my programs, not just some of them.

Since everyone has mentioned this problem coming back, my wife and I have been watching our ToDo list like hawks, and sure enough some shows began dropping off today. When checking the System Info, we saw that service data had been downloaded early this morning, and that the unit had reindexed this afternoon. Going on the assumption that this process borked my index database again, I tried a different tack - forcing my unit to connect to the DVR service via my phone line. This process went through successfully, and triggered another reindex about an hour later. After this reindex, the shows that had dropped off my ToDo list came back again.

I've only tried forcing a reindex twice, using a different method each time (restart one time, phone call the next), so this may not be a sure bet - it seems like it's helping for now though. My plan is to check my ToDo list daily, trigger reindexes as necessary, and maybe disconnect my phone line for a few days to see if it helps to stay "off the grid" (I'm not real hopeful about this though since most of the updates come over the satellite). I have not contacted DirecTV yet, although I plan on doing that tomorrow, espeically since a number of people have mentioned getting rebates from them for this issue.

The real question now though, is how long before someone actually fixes this damn problem?

Last edited by DemRoyer : 01-02-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #200
lmk911

Tonight my HR10-250 states it deleted Cold Case on TNTH early to make space for another program. The kicker is, it did not record the program is supposedly deleted and the only program scheduled to record was Cold Case.

AU9 5-LNB Slimline Dish
2-HR21-700, HR20-100 & HR20-700 - All HDMI
2-Unhacked Sony SAT-60, 2-R10, 1-HR10-250 retired
Sony RDR-HX900 & RDR-HX715 DVD Recorders
Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #201
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows
My R10 is not connected to a phone line, and has not exhibited this problem at all. My Samsung is connected to a phone line, and has lost data twice now. Does this match anybody else's experience?
I have had the problem 2 times only, once each on a separate box. Neither of the have a phone line connected. Two other boxes have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #202
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemRoyer
...My plan is to check my ToDo list daily, trigger reindexes as necessary, and maybe disconnect my phone line for a few days to see if it helps to stay "off the grid" ...
Good catch DemRoyer - maybe you can dodge the bullet until they get a fix.

Quote:
The real question now though, is how long before someone actually fixes this damn problem?
I hope their plan isn't to wait until there are no DTivo users left.

----------

I actually had a manager (at the now-defuct computer company) complain: I wish these damn customers would quit bothering me so I could do my job!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #203
Hexerott

Quote:
I hope their plan isn't to wait until there are no DTivo users left.
The question that I ask myself is, how many people have they had switch over to their DVRs because of this problem?

They told my wife they thought our Tivo unit was bad and we should probably update our equipment. Oh, and we have our own DVR now. It has excellent features... blah blah blah......
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #204
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexerott
The question that I ask myself is, how many people have they had switch over to their DVRs because of this problem?
IMHO, it's a false economy for DirecTV to switch users over to another box: (1) It costs money to have a tech drive out to the house, or to ship someone a DVR and (2) The customer may outright reject the replacement on the grounds of it "not being a Tivo" or "this thing has bugs too" and just up and leave DirecTV altogether. Moral: Don't promise a fix and then put something inferior in its place.

I know if I were enticed to give away my Tivo-based unit I would be pretty upset. People aren't dumb - the DTivos have been very, very stable for a long time... but I guess if you didn't talk with other users (as we are doing here or on other boards) then you might become convinced by their wooing to take a substitute box.

They would be better off convincing the customers that a fix was on its way and then back it up with a real fix.

With as many people that are reporting the problem they should be able to reproduce this issue pretty quickly in the lab - they also know what they (probably) did to the guide data that set this mess into motion and should be able to consult with Tivo Inc. (assuming their code is involved) and get a resolution... it could well be that they have already identified the problem and are in testing now to ensure that they don't break anything else with the fix.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #205
HofstraJet
Member in Hiding

Swanni has taken up our cause: http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvtivo010307.htm
Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #206
RossoNeri
Tech Geek

Quote:
I've only tried forcing a reindex twice, using a different method each time (restart one time, phone call the next), so this may not be a sure bet - it seems like it's helping for now though.
Are both methods guaranteed to force the databases to reindex? I'd rather force the phone call than reboot but wasn't sure if it would have the same effect.

Quote:
My plan is to check my ToDo list daily, trigger reindexes as necessary, and maybe disconnect my phone line for a few days to see if it helps to stay "off the grid" (I'm not real hopeful about this though since most of the updates come over the satellite).
Good call. I've actually already set up some forced recordings from the Guide to cover this for my wife's "critical" shows. I'm hoping to catch the need for a reindex by monitoring the ToDo List.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #207
RossoNeri
Tech Geek

What shows are dropping? All episodes?

I've read through several threads on this issue, most pointing back to here, and I didn't see anything about tracking what shows are dropping. Is anyone tracking to determine any commonality in the shows?

Also, has anyone noticed any patterns in what episodes are deleting? Last night I noticed that Jeopardy and General Hospital (_very_ important for my wife) had dropped this weeks (1 Jan-5 Jan 07) episodes but not the episodes of the week of 8 Jan. However, all episodes of Top Chef had been "lost". I just thought it odd that data on future episodes of some shows would be okay....
Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #208
dscott72

I have just noticed that several of my season passes when I go to the "To Do List" are showing "None Scheduled". Even when I go to the guide and see that yes new shows are scheduled. My wife notice this when her soaps that she records off of Soap Net weren't set to record in the middle of the night. The recorder is recording if I manually set it, and a few season pass programs are scheduled, but I went through and checked most of them have none scheduled set.

HNS GXCEB0T
HR10-250
DSR 7000
Old 01-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #209
krk502

I had the empty To-do list just before Christmas and then it filled up again, so I thought things were better. Few new shows on over the last two weeks, so I didn't watch very closely. I forced a call yesterday around 4:30, I'm not sure if that did a reindex or not.

I have a season pass for Stargate SG-1 at 6:00pm on Sci-Fi. Set to Keep until delete, and keep 5 episodes. There are no episodes in the NP list.

Plop down at 6:30 to watch, no red light. Check history and get the "someone in your ..." message. Look at To-do list, it has one listed for Wed and Friday and some next week, but not Thursday. Back to history, and Thursday will not record because "reached the max number of recordings...yada yada." Set for 5, would only be 1, skipping Thursday, but gonna record Friday no problem. Yikes.

I think I would rather have an empty To do list, then I know its not working. I guess I have to check to do every night and add the things that are missing.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #210
Meinrad
dumdiddydum

One of mine dropped everything right before New Years. On Monday afternoon everything had repopulated again. But last night my wife sat down to watch her soap and it hadn't recorded. Checked the list and all had dropped out again. It was in the guide but wouldn't show up in upcoming episodes. I rebooted and forced a call. In about an hour everything was repopulated again. I don't know if either of those things did anything though. I checked the list this morning before leaving for work and all was ok. Hopefully it still will be when I get home.