Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #811
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop View Post
Survivor was in the to-do list yesterday in the afternoon. Didnt record because someone changed the season pass.

When I catch that @#$@#er that keeps changing my season passes, I'm going to have to empty a clip into him...
I'm starting to think it's Earl. I think DTV has given him special access to their mainframe to mess up people's TiVo's in order to push them over the edge into dropping TiVo for DTV DVRs!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #812
snoop

Earl? Is it you?

Can you stop by sometime this week and relate to my wife whats happened on Survivor the last few weeks?

All will be forgiven.

I'm still changing out my tivo's for HR21's though. Then from now on when I call with a bunch of random weird problems, I get to hear different excuses other than why its all Tivo's fault.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #813
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Mine seemed to be getting it about 50% of the time. Perhaps its a matter of the guide data update, indexing and updating its to-do list all being in the right karmic order sometimes and not in others.
would adding/deleting stuff from Todo cause reindexing. My disabled wife is a very heavy tivo user and is always doing something. So if adding or deleting from todo causes indexing, we are probably jump starting the machine

however i always thought indexing just occurred at maybe 1-2 x a day intervals per the system screen.

And while i'm sure ive had at least 1 modified SP issue, i dont think i've ever had much more than that one. Whereas some of you have weekly issues. I just dont think you guys can have that bad a luck every week is my point

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
Old 03-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #814
snoop

I have no doubt as to the depth of my potential bad luck.

Seems to me the worst problem is survivor, but we at this point seem to be getting less than half of the episodes and havent gotten the last 3. I think maybe once a month I've noticed that some other show didnt record and go to see that Earl modified the season pass remotely for me. There may be a bunch that do it and I just dont notice because they're shows I dont care that much about.

Not sure about which activities would kick off the box to run its scheduling. Maybe reprioritizing the season pass list. Maybe a phone call.

Only other thing I can throw out is that we're recording it with a wishlist (survivor and reality shows), not a season pass, so we dont have to spot the new seasons and add them to the season pass list. Yet, it shows up in the to-do list with the generic "contestants vie for prizes" or whatever the heck it is, and its in there as that at least a day or so in advance. Then no-go on the record on either of the two boxes we have, so I strongly doubt its a problem with a box that affected both of them in exactly the same way.

I can see it being a sync issue with both, since I almost always reboot both boxes at about the same time.

Interesting that...I had been presuming that the "someone modified" problem went away with the release before this one that caused all the random reboots, but maybe the regular reboots were resolving the problem of shows with changing descriptions getting re-injected into the to-do list.

In any case, wont be my problem anymore in about a week. Very disappointing. We've been with tivo and directv a long time, almost since their respective inceptions. If comcast didnt completely and totally stink we'd probably have just gone back to cable, particularly since they're supposed to have tivo on their box sooner or later.

Terrible shame. Tivo has good technology that other companies cant use due to the patent restrictions and tivo struggles to market themselves, yet they also seem to have an excellent partner prevention team ready, willing and able to stomp out productive and profitable relationships.

I'd hoped for the last few years that the two companies would patch things up and figure out how to best service their mutual customers, but I've turned as blue as I can from holding my breath. I'll take the unknown, inferior product to eliminate the finger pointing at this point.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #815
newsposter
Poster of News

i forget what problem i had, but there was a point where i rebooted every sunday and it did seem to cure it.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
Old 03-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #816
Romantic

Trust me to those thinking about switching to the DirecTv brand DVRs, I would not advise it! I have tried 3 and all of them had bad problems! 1st was DOA, next 2 kept rebooting and not recording 50% of my SP's. My HD DirectTv TiVo so far has only let me down this one time with Survivor.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #817
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic View Post
Trust me to those thinking about switching to the DirecTv brand DVRs, I would not advise it! I have tried 3 and all of them had bad problems! 1st was DOA, next 2 kept rebooting and not recording 50% of my SP's. My HD DirectTv TiVo so far has only let me down this one time with Survivor.
I have an HR10-250 and am planning on adding HD channels to my service.......but how many will I NOT be able to get if I don't get one of their MPEG4 DVRs?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #818
Jayfore

I have this same problem, but use DVR other than Tivo

I have an 8300HDC, I think it's Scientific Atlanta. I have the same problem w/ Survivor -- most of the time it does not record, though I see that it's sitting there, set to do so. Tonight was yet another example, though for some reason it worked last week. I had to set this up as a manual recording, which totally defeats the main advantage that DVRs were supposed to offer.

I think the problem is CBS. They just suck for things like this. Amazing Race had issues too, where football would push it back at least 30 minutes every single week, and the DVR wouldn't know to compensate for it because they never updated the schedule to compensate for the pushback. Every single week this happened, so we'd have to set the DVR to record Without a Trace (show following Amazing Race), so we could get the entire Amazing Race episode.

I never have this problem with any other shows that we record. Only CBS shows have given me problems. There are plenty of threads out there on this same issue, I realized tonight, after finally getting mad enough to Google it.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #819
shoegazer72

I think you may be right about the issue being CBS-related. I'm losing shows at random with the same bogus message (Survivor, Dexter), and they're all CBS shows. ugh....
Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #820
Jayfore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegazer72 View Post
I think you may be right about the issue being CBS-related. I'm losing shows at random with the same bogus message (Survivor, Dexter), and they're all CBS shows. ugh....
The last link I found was from users complaining about this on CBS's own Survivor Micronesia message board. It's a widespread problem -- different users on different service and different equipment, from what I've seen in my searching tonight. Unfortunately our only option (at least for the problem that Survivor has) is a manual recording. Burns me up!!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #821
snoop

I tried creating a season pass to go with the wishlist for survivor. Didnt record again last night.

So back to manual recordings. And while I was doing it I did say to the wife that we were now making the giant step backwards to the days of VCR's.

Now I just have to hope they dont change nights, have a 90 or 120 minute version that I dont notice in advance, etc.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #822
Jayfore

Quote:
I tried creating a season pass to go with the wishlist for survivor. Didnt record again last night.

So back to manual recordings. And while I was doing it I did say to the wife that we were now making the giant step backwards to the days of VCR's.

Now I just have to hope they dont change nights, have a 90 or 120 minute version that I dont notice in advance, etc.
Yup -- this sure blows! The main advantage of a DVR is negated. Thanks, CBS!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #823
LacyinTX

A new problem....

Guiding Light... which I have set at number one to record all eps, wasn't going to record on Friday. Also, Beauty and the Geek wasn't going to record next week. I set both to "record this episode also". I am going to have to keep a close eye on the To Do List.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #824
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

My episodes of Big Brother were not set to record for next week.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #825
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat74 View Post
My episodes of Big Brother were not set to record for next week.
Next week's all messed up thanx to March Madness.

Survivor is on Wednesday so Big Brother probably isn't.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #826
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
Next week's all messed up thanx to March Madness.

Survivor is on Wednesday so Big Brother probably isn't.

phox
Big Brother comes on after Survivor on Wednesday.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #827
snoop

I think I've got a perfect solution for this apparently unresolvable mess. Well, other than fixing the guide data or the code that handles it, that is.

Just stack up four 400 hour dual tuner tivos, and record all four major networks and four other key channels of your choice 24x7.

Problem solved! Why didnt I think of this sooner?!?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #828
DougF

It's back! My wife has a SP for "Friends" reruns on TBS on the HDVR2 in our Bedroom. It hasn't recorded in a week or so and this was the reason why. I also checked my SP for "The Office" on TBS and got the same thing. I recreated both SPs and deleted the corrupt ones, but I didn't have time to check any other shows.

Anyone else seeing this?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #829
The Flush
Anonymous User

I am seeing this problem now. I have very little showing up in To Do List and recording history shows a lot of someone changed the season pass message. I tried deleting and recreating some SPs, but it has not helped yet. I changed my Around The Horn and Pardon the Interruption SPs to ARWLs and it did not help either. Most SPs show no recordings scheduled in the To Do List. Rebooting has not helped.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #830
TV addict

I started seeing the problem with Thursdays Jay Leno show.

My understanding is that each show is assigned a number. The Season Pass looks for these numbers and not the actual TV show name.

It looks like DirecTV is modifying the guide data, by assigning new episodes of the TV shows different numbers. So, my existing Season Passes find repeat episodes, or episodes where the description is "generic". But when the episode is updated with a description that is specific to the episode, DirecTV is assigning the new number.

I had to create duplicate Season Passes for episodes that the old Season Pass did not find.

This is a big problem. How can we get DirecTV to stop doing this?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #831
Melissa
Go Pitt!

It's happening to me too. ESPN and FX. How do we get Direct TV to fix this soon???
besides not recording some of my shows it is also only recording 3 to 5 minutes of others AGHHHH!
I've restarted, i've made a phone call (after 300 some odd days, wow it's nice to not have the nag message LOL!) So what can be done??
-M
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #832
jim_arrows
Member since 12/2000

My PTI & Around the Horn SPs stopped recording last Wednesday (8/27) on both a Hughes DVR40 & on my HR10; Sports Reporters and several other shows also failed to record over the weekend all with the "someone modified" explanation in the recording history; even deleting and re-adding the PTI & ATH SPs hasn't worked, I had to start recording them with my HR20.

Initially while reading this thread I thought it was the Tivo's telling all you people to stop recording crappy reality shows, but now it's serious... how lame.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #833
bengalfreak

I recommend everyone that is having a problem report their Tivo model #, what software version they are on, and whether the unit is hacked or stock. I'm thinking this is only happening on units with older software.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #834
The Flush
Anonymous User

Mine was on a Zippered HDVR2 running 6.2a.

I don't see how the software should have anything to do with it when creating a new SP does not help. It has to be a guide issue.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #835
jim_arrows
Member since 12/2000

That's Plausible

It could be a guide issue that only affects Tivo's with older software because the older software doesn't know how to handle the info in the new stream, whereas the updated software handles it without a problem.

My HR10 is running 6.3(c) & my DVR40 is on 6.2(a), I believe; the last time I updated both of them was for the DST patch in Spring of '07, so I would fit that profile. I did not have a problem during the prior incarnations of this issue earlier in the thread, this is the first time I've seen it, fwiw.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #836
Melissa
Go Pitt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_arrows View Post
It could be a guide issue that only affects Tivo's with older software because the older software doesn't know how to handle the info in the new stream, whereas the updated software handles it without a problem.

My HR10 is running 6.3(c) & my DVR40 is on 6.2(a), I believe; the last time I updated both of them was for the DST patch in Spring of '07, so I would fit that profile. I did not have a problem during the prior incarnations of this issue earlier in the thread, this is the first time I've seen it, fwiw.
I have a HDVR20 running ??? when the problem first showed and on 8/30 got 6.4a. i put a larger hard drive in for more hours a year or two ago, but no other modifications.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #837
bcbeatty

I have an DirecTV Tivo, but I haven't updated the software in about 3 years, since I switched to Vonage...
All my season passes have been forgotten since 8/30/08. I've had to re-create them. After that they "seem" fine.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #838
tward_biteme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbeatty View Post
I have an DirecTV Tivo, but I haven't updated the software in about 3 years, since I switched to Vonage...
All my season passes have been forgotten since 8/30/08. I've had to re-create them. After that they "seem" fine.
This is happening on a lot of DirecTivos..... There are several other threads here about it.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #839
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward_biteme1 View Post
This is happening on a lot of DirecTivos..... There are several other threads here about it.

I believe its only happening on units with older software. if I have to recreate all my season passes to keep my 6.2a, I will. No problem. As long as there are no other glitches.

Last edited by bengalfreak : 09-08-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #840
LI-SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I believe its only happening on units with older software. if I have to recreate all my season passes to keep my 6.2a, I will. No problem. As long as there are no other glitches.

I have a stock HR10-250 running the latest national release software. It has always been connected to a phone line. For this season I moved 30-Rock from LIL NY4 to channel 82. Last weeks episode was in the To Do List for channel 82. It didn't record and I had the "someone in your household..." message. It did record on the HR20 LIL WNBC 4 HD as scheduled.