TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #781
newsposter
Poster of News

my 3.1 machine has never missed survivor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #782
plateau10

Is there hidden in this monster of a thread somewhere an answer to why this happens? Missed Idol last night because of it.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #783
newsposter
Poster of News

not that i remember....but i find it interesting that the posts have died down. Either it's fixed, there arent many shows because of the strike, or people just are tired of posting about it.

!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #784
rescuefire

DTV hasn't given me any explanation yet. The latest tech I talked to said that it is probable that since Tivo and DTV don't have a contract so to speak that it's taking longer to get these hardware update problems worked out.

I got the impression that he was trying to blame it on Tivo and not take on the responsibility for DTV.

My R-10 still has issues. I'm so sick of this crud!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #785
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

They still have a contract into 2010, according to the TiVo site.

Mine missed American Idol Wednesday night too, but only on 2 (HR10's) of my many IRD's. Really bizarre. Nothing else was recording on those units at that time to conflict.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #786
rescuefire

They have a contract to keep the programming updates and such but no contract directly with Tivo for specific Tivo based units. In other words DTV will not be selling or leasing or installing for free any Tivo units at all. Only their own version of Digital Recording equipment.

Last edited by rescuefire : 02-03-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #787
bengalfreak

My family room DTivo missed the new Paula's Party on Friday night. It also missed the rerun of the same episode at 1:00AM. What's funny is that the 'ToDo List' doesn't mention the episode at all. Like it doesn't exist. Really weird.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #788
LacyinTX

I just realized last night that My DTivo missed Survivor last week. The Survivor that aired last night began with "previously on Survivor"... I was like... HUH? Previously??? Then I searched my history and sure enough.."Someone modified the season pass" and it didn't record last week's Survivor Micronesia Premier. UH.. .no they didn't! I am the only one allowed to mess with Season Passes at my house. GRRRRR!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #789
Plugplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyinTX View Post
I just realized last night that My DTivo missed Survivor last week. The Survivor that aired last night began with "previously on Survivor"... I was like... HUH? Previously??? Then I searched my history and sure enough.."Someone modified the season pass" and it didn't record last week's Survivor Micronesia Premier. UH.. .no they didn't! I am the only one allowed to mess with Season Passes at my house. GRRRRR!!!
Same thing with both my HR-250's
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #790
cmeinck

This always seems to happen with Survivor. I happen to have an HR-20, so used that for my season pass. I'm jumping to TiVoHD next week, so hopefully it doesn't have an issue with Survivor. I cannot believe DirecTV hasn't fixed this issue yet. It always happens with Survivor.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #791
ozlifter

Missed Survivor

My DirecTV Tivo as well as my friend's DirecTV Tivo both didn't record last week's Survivor!

How frustrating!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #792
LacyinTX

GAH!!! *stomps feet and pulls out hair*

Again!! It missed Survivor again! I even checked the To Do List before I left for work. I don't know what to do about this, because I am often not home by the time it start, to be sure it it recording.

I tried two things... I cleared and re-added my SP and moved it to the top of the list, even though there are not enough conflicts in my list to matter. It should record two things at once. *sigh*

Also for good measure I set my R15 in the bedroom to record it as well. Hopefully that will get it from here on out. Until this season I never missed a Survivor. And now this is twice already. GRRRRR.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #793
graniteRich

Angry

My old stock hughes gxcebot missied surrvior last night, no conflicts, This is the first time in 8 years that Tivo let me down!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #794
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyinTX View Post
Again!! It missed Survivor again! I even checked the To Do List before I left for work.
Same here.

R10 got 6.3f last week.
Last Thursday and last night it wasn't going to record Survivor due to the "someone in your household. . ."
Had to do a manual record both days.

At least it's stopped rebooting itself every day.

HR10 seems to be behaving itself in this regard.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #795
Alztybrn

My R-10 did not get Survivor last night either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #796
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I've had to set a manual recording for Survivor the last 3 weeks. I deleted and recreated the Season Pass today, but that didn't help.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #797
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

Last night, I luckily caught Survivor not recording. Yup, apparently "someone in your household"... blah blah blah. This is quite annoying...
Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #798
LacyinTX

Mine actually worked last night. I don't know if it was the delete and reset of the SP or the fact that I moved it to the top of the priority list. *shrug* Next week it probably won't work.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #799
Brainiac427

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
Last night, I luckily caught Survivor not recording. Yup, apparently "someone in your household"... blah blah blah. This is quite annoying...
Happened to me, too. No reboots on the DirecTiVo all week, as the clock and 30-second skip are still intact. On the other hand, the Survivor season pass did not record Thursday night. (I set it as a backup to the HR20, which recorded it fine.) The explanation? Something to the effect of someone in the household modified the season pass. Not true. Never touched it. I don't know if this is a 6.3f snafu or not.

The bottom line is that the DirecTiVo simply cannot be trusted anymore. It's such a shame.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #800
fasTLane

Interesting it is always a Survivor problem.

Tivo having good taste. Who'da thunk. j/k
Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #801
snoop

Both of mine are failing to record Survivor about 50% of the time, same "someone modified the season pass..." issue.

Seemed to me that this went away prior to the last software release last year that fixed the data stream problem, then its come back since the release last month that fixed the crash problems that we werent really having. Maybe someone forgot to include the prior fix.

So far just Survivor thats not getting recorded, but I havent been eyeballing the to-do list very much lately.

I do note that survivor starts off in the program guide with a generic description and in the last day or so before airing it updates with an episode description. Maybe thats whats throwing it.

Hmm...time to call directv and ask for a credit again.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #802
JohnDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop View Post
I do note that survivor starts off in the program guide with a generic description and in the last day or so before airing it updates with an episode description. Maybe thats whats throwing it.
That is an EXCELLENT observation. Also, if you go into your history for programs that were successfully recorded, you sometimes notice that -- when the program guide data is changed for a show -- the old description's program is listed as a "did not record due to..." while the new description's program is successfully recorded.

One theory would be that there is a lag between the program description update, which removes the show from the "to do" list, and the new indexing of the Season Passes, which adds the program with the new description back on. This theory also fits with reports that forcing the TiVo to "reindex" the guide via reboots, forced calls or reordering the Season Passes gets the programs back into the "to do" list.

I guess a bruit force fix for this would be for the TiVo software to automatically force a reindex whenever there is a program guide update.

jdg
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #803
snoop

I called up and ended up with retentions. Decided to give up on the tivo and go to the directv dvr's. I'm sure I'll swap out one set of problems for another, but directv made it right for me financially.

JohnDG - the problems source should be evident...we had the problem after the first major upgrade a little over a year ago, it went away for a while and was replaced with the rebooting problem, then when that got fixed the SP problem came back...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #804
bengalfreak

The Survivor issue would seem to be one of incomplete guide data and not necessarily a hardware issue.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 AM   #805
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
The Survivor issue would seem to be one of incomplete guide data and not necessarily a hardware issue.
how can my tivo be getting different guide data than everyone elses? My machine always picks up survivor

!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #806
LacyinTX

Luckily I was home early last night. It had dropped Survivor sometime yesterday afternoon. I think next I will try to set up the SP with "All Episodes" rather than "First Run Only". I don't know if it will help... but we will see.

So far I haven't noticed this with any other program. If it is the Survivor guide data rather than a hardware/software problem, I still want to get it resolved.

Until next week....
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #807
snoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
how can my tivo be getting different guide data than everyone elses? My machine always picks up survivor
Mine seemed to be getting it about 50% of the time. Perhaps its a matter of the guide data update, indexing and updating its to-do list all being in the right karmic order sometimes and not in others.

We've had other shows do the same thing, but it seems to me in retrospect that the offenders were all shows that changed their description at the last minute. I think we had a few american idols and whatnot.

I also had a few outright failures to work properly. We missed the episode of House that aired right after the superbowl because I failed to add 500 hours to the end of the recording of the superbowl to get it : so I set up a wishlist to get that show with the title word and a 'record all'. I happened to note the episode in the guide, but saw it wasnt in the to-do list. When I checked it said it wouldnt record it because it had been recorded within the last month. I guess the "record all with duplicates" means "unless you dont feel like it".

All of this seems tied to this new guide data stream. I really had no problems ever with the "old" data stream. I hope whatever goodness its bringing to directv is worth the customer dissatisfaction.

Or maybe they're just trying to nudge us away from bad programming...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #808
bschroed

It's not just the latest software

I have survivor set to record on my old Series 1 DirecTivo and it has been failing to record most of this season as well. Same "someone in your household..." message. Last night, it was in the ToDo list just hours before starting, but then didn't record.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #809
JRAllas
Spoiled by Tivo

What ever the problem is, I doubt DirecTV wants to fix it. Look how many people are willing to give up the HR10-250 for the new P.O.S. HD Plus DVR. I subscribed to DirecTV because the receiver had a built in Tivo. If they take away the Tivo, I leave DirecTV.

Hughes SD-DVR40 (6.4a)

Hughes HR10-250 (6.4a)

Tivo THR22-100
65" Mitsubishi rear-projection HDTV
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #810
snoop

Mine screwed it up again last night. When I was on the phone with the first directv rep the other day, she said it was something she'd never ever heard of before and there were no notes in their database about it . But she said there was something not set properly on my account with regards to the dvr. Sounded totally unlikely to me that was the problem since the only shows we're not having recorded are a couple of ones with changing descriptions. But she said she was very confident that the change she made would fix the problem.

Survivor was in the to-do list yesterday in the afternoon. Didnt record because someone changed the season pass.

When I catch that @#$@#er that keeps changing my season passes, I'm going to have to empty a clip into him...