TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #541
doconeill
Unix Guru

I have three hacked TiVos, and was having the tvlog issue on all three, but not identifiable reboot problems.

This morning, my 6-year-old can running out to say the "TiVo was powering up" while she was trying to watch something. I checked my other two...one (which on I was testing what would truly happen if the tvlog filled /var - see this thread) rebooted almost two hours previously, and all three are no longer logging the errors in tvlog that was causing it to grow so fast.

Not sure why only 2 of the three have rebooted, but all three are not logging errors.

Retired:
HDR312 Standalone (128 hour, on loan)
SD-DVR80 (Zipper/160GB), DSR708 (Zipper/120GB), HDVR2 (Zipper/80GB)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #542
goony

wild guess theories

Since there were some people reporting that it was going to take a while to fix this issue I suspect that they changed something in the data stream to the "old format" to get this problem to cease.

I suspect in a while we may see a software update that can accommodate the "new format" of the data stream... after enough units have the new version then they will change the data stream to the "new format". At that point only boxes that don't have the fix installed will be exhibiting the symptoms.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #543
tv_watcher

So, is it fixed now??? Can we stop reseting, forcing phone calls, etc?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #544
John T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_watcher
So, is it fixed now??? Can we stop reseting, forcing phone calls, etc?
EARLY indications are DTV did "something" to the data stream to remove the logging problem... must have been a data stream change, since nobody has reported a software update

Nobody knows right now if this is a permanent fix... or if there will be a software update in the future to then allow DTV to change the data stream again... or what will happen long term

Keep watching, and report back if you continue to have SP losses or restarts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #545
Cudahy

Because of the nature of the recurring problems it'll be a few days without complaints before we know.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #546
togjab

Just got off the phone

I just got off the phone with DTV and they said their is no fix yet. They said they will send me an E-mail when it is fixed.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #547
disco
Father of Sam.

If there is a fix from DirecTV (by way of simply fixing the data stream), I'm not sure if I want to turn error logging back on. I mean, what's to stop them from messing with the stream again in the future??
Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #548
starbuck

ZDNet has a news article on this problem. It quotes a DirecTV spokesman as saying the problem should be fixed by Friday evening, January 12.

Link: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6150142.html
Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #549
globalgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by togjab
I just got off the phone with DTV and they said their is no fix yet. They said they will send me an E-mail when it is fixed.
Those reps are complete idiots. I really don't expect them to know if this problem has been fixed or not. Most of them didn't even know it existed.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #550
syngefan

Reported to DirecTV today

I too have been having this problem since Dec. 18. I have exchanged several emails with DirecTV and finally called to report it today - received a $20 credit for the next 6 months. I also talked to someone in customer service. She said that DirecTV and Tivo are working together on the issue - that they identified the problem on 1/11 but do not yet have a fix. She said it did have something to do with the last update though.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #551
stretchpants

So Far So Good

Keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 01-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #552
Delta13
Missed left turn

I forced a reboot on mine, and the problem SPs are all fine now. They show in the To Do List just like they're supposed to. I did not modify any of them, just forced the reboot.

On a side note, nice to see TivoCommunity mentioned in a news article. Though it rather feels like bing in a car accident that gets reported on the news ...

I could tell you what's happening, but I don't know if it would really tell you what's happening.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #553
starbuck

I did a manual restart today just to clear out any old junk in the /var directory that was there before DTV made the reported fix yesterday.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #554
charlienewton

Question Is is fixed or not?

I just got off the phone with a DTV "Advanced Technical" Rep. (Sat. 1/13 @ 2:30 PST) He told me that Tivo and DTV are currently working on the problem, but there is no ETA for when it will be resolved.

Should I reboot? Or just wait?

If this thing screws up my the 24 premiere, I'll be really angry. And sad.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #555
globalgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienewton
I just got off the phone with a DTV "Advanced Technical" Rep. (Sat. 1/13 @ 2:30 PST) He told me that Tivo and DTV are currently working on the problem, but there is no ETA for when it will be resolved.

Should I reboot? Or just wait?

If this thing screws up my the 24 premiere, I'll be really angry. And sad.
Then set 24 up to record manually just to be safe.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #556
Meinrad
dumdiddydum

It's 4 days without an issue for me now and that's the longest in a month. So if it really is fixed, it's great news. I'm still watchign it very closely but I'm feeling a bit better now.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #557
dgreenbe

My DTivo just rebooted during the Eagles vs. Saints. 11:10pm EST or so.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #558
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenbe
Are you an Eagles fan? Maybe you just went into denial.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #559
MacQ2

That's a feature, not a bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenbe
I think that would be called a "feature" - saving you from watching the agony of defeat

Interestingly, all 3 of my D*Tivos did their GC (Garbage Collection) at about 10:30pm eastern and indexed then and Saturday morning. All my ToDos are good. This pretty much coincides with the DTV spokesman from that article saying things would be resolved Friday night. Previously, the GC/Index dates on the Sys Info page would rarely be similar between these units.

That said, I agree with a previous poster that this "feels" like a temporary work-around pending a software update from TIVO so it can deal permanently with whatever change DTV wants to make to the guide data. I/we could easily be wrong.

I'm doing a manual date/time record for "24" Sunday and Monday just to be safe.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #560
bengalfreak

According to the article posted in the other sticky thread, this is a workaround on DirecTV's part, not a fix to the problem. Everyone should continue to babysit their season passes for the time being. DirecTV says the workaround should eliminate or greatly reduce the problem until a software update can be released.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #561
MacQ2

Not entirely true

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
According to the article posted in the other sticky thread, this is a workaround on DirecTV's part, not a fix to the problem. Everyone should continue to babysit their season passes for the time being. DirecTV says the workaround should eliminate or greatly reduce the problem until a software update can be released.
That's not true. The first paragraph of the article is - I quote:
"Complaints of the problem first surfaced in early December, but DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer said Friday he didn't know the exact cause of the glitch. The company "is aware of the problem and should have it fixed by this evening," Mercer said. "

The complete article is linked below. Robert Mercer had nothing further to say in that article.

One poster was told by some other DTV person that this Friday fix was temporary until a permanent solution can be developed and that is being repeated as fact. But, it's hard to know how credible this is given how much bad info DTV provided all of us during this fiasco. I believe that is probably true, but, I am just speculating.

http://news.com.com/Customers+miffed...l?tag=nefd.top
Old 01-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #562
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

This morning my To Do History was showing some shows not scheduled to record on one of my DVRs, when they were there yesterday. I recommend everyone do one more restart to force an indexing... Per my System Info page, the date of my last indexing was Friday, when it should have showed a more recent date/time. I restarted all of my DVRs just to play it safe ... everything looks current again.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #563
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
That's not true. The first paragraph of the article is - I quote:
"Complaints of the problem first surfaced in early December, but DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer said Friday he didn't know the exact cause of the glitch. The company "is aware of the problem and should have it fixed by this evening," Mercer said. "

The complete article is linked below. Robert Mercer had nothing further to say in that article.

One poster was told by some other DTV person that this Friday fix was temporary until a permanent solution can be developed and that is being repeated as fact. But, it's hard to know how credible this is given how much bad info DTV provided all of us during this fiasco. I believe that is probably true, but, I am just speculating.

http://news.com.com/Customers+miffed...l?tag=nefd.top
The article is incomplete ... as you should trust the other poster (Earl), who has inside contacts at DirecTV. A fix was put in place Friday/Saturday, but it is only a partial fix. What they did was temporarily change the data stream back to what it was in early December, but they want to use the new stream again, which requires TiVo to send software updates to make sure the new stream can be processed.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #564
VidiotDave

I'm about to give up on DirecTV

Everything was fine last week, and even last night, but at 3 am this morning my Tivo did a service download, and now has lost almost all the guide data again...
Old 01-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #565
fasTLane

What version are you at?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #566
Jumi

I noticed this afternoon that the "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams" had no scheduled episodes on my SP and thought the problem was back. Upon closer examination it appears they changed the show name to "NBC Nightly News" and now my new season pass picks up the show for all 7 days per week. Could NBC be smart enough to rename the show so that weekday and weekend versions will be captured by one SP? It would be nice to think that TiVo is getting some respect from the folks who title/describe shows!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #567
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, it happened again. Desperate Housewives was scheduled to record yesterday, but when I looked at the TiVo at 8:15 my friendly red light was NOT on.

I just got off the phone with a second tier person who told me blah blah blah* to which I told her that blah blah blah did NOT work. I asked to speak to someone else and she said they would tell me the same thing. I then asked to speak to her supervisor. When the supervisor came on the line, I told him that the "blah blah blah" that she was using as a resolution was not a resolution at all and I had a problem with her arguing with me. I also asked him if all the customer service reps really didn't like each other and never spoke to one another. He assured me that they did and they were searching for a resolution and he apologized for the answers I received from the previous representative.

He did mention that I will have to have my phone plugged in when the fix does occur because that is how it tells the update to happen.

* blah1 = reboot your system (my system is rebooting on its own and causing this problem, so I don't find that to be a "fix")

blah2 = delete and replace your season passes (if my program data is missing, this is impossible to do... thus not a "fix")

blah3 = do the 5-6 hour reboot process (to me this sounds like, "get off my back and leave us alone for a day or two" which is not a "fix" at all)
Old 01-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #568
daperlman
check the rhime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH
Well, it happened again. Desperate Housewives was scheduled to record yesterday, but when I looked at the TiVo at 8:15 my friendly red light was NOT on.

I just got off the phone with a second tier person who told me blah blah blah* to which I told her that blah blah blah did NOT work. I asked to speak to someone else and she said they would tell me the same thing. I then asked to speak to her supervisor. When the supervisor came on the line, I told him that the "blah blah blah" that she was using as a resolution was not a resolution at all and I had a problem with her arguing with me. I also asked him if all the customer service reps really didn't like each other and never spoke to one another. He assured me that they did and they were searching for a resolution and he apologized for the answers I received from the previous representative.

He did mention that I will have to have my phone plugged in when the fix does occur because that is how it tells the update to happen.

* blah1 = reboot your system (my system is rebooting on its own and causing this problem, so I don't find that to be a "fix")

blah2 = delete and replace your season passes (if my program data is missing, this is impossible to do... thus not a "fix")

blah3 = do the 5-6 hour reboot process (to me this sounds like, "get off my back and leave us alone for a day or two" which is not a "fix" at all)
did you try these steps hopping on one leg? If not they recommend you go back and do it that way before calling for support again

Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #569
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by daperlman
did you try these steps hopping on one leg? If not they recommend you go back and do it that way before calling for support again
Heh! I'm a couch potato... that would be more exercise than I get in a year.

Won't happen! However, they could send a hot tech out to do that for me if they wish.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #570
daperlman
check the rhime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH
Heh! I'm a couch potato... that would be more exercise than I get in a year.

Won't happen! However, they could send a hot tech out to do that for me if they wish.
a hot tech you do watch a lot of TV

Seriously there is hope - I think all 3 of mine are working now (finally)