Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #421
Tburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent
I am getting this on my S1 DTiVo.

I found the first episode of the first season of Amazing Race on GSN that I never saw and picked up a Season Pass.

Now only one episode is set to record (and I already missed two).
The guide data is there if you scroll to it.
If I go to the episodes and select Upcoming Episodes, it only shows the one season finale on 1/7.
If I do a search by Title it shows only the one.
If I do a Wishlist it shows none - not even the one on 1/7.
If I select one of the upcoming shows it says Record This Episode Also (or something like this).
I am going to be really ticked off, if when the new season kicks off for all my shows and it does not record them. I have most record even reruns, and so it has still been recording them so far. (crossing fingers for now) I will not know for certain until the new season starts up for all my shows.

At least I am not having the rebooting problems so many have reported. (knocking on wood)

So far I am still pleased with DTV and DTIVO. We will see soon though. Dish compresses their signals too much, and TimeWarner Cable's outages are horrible.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #422
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoo23
I don't know if I am convinced that having your unit connected to a phone line matters for this. I have one that is connected and one that is not and both have experienced this problem.
Exactly the same for me. R10 (connected) and DVR40 (never connected) both have the same problem once or twice a week since mid-December. The workaround of forcing a phone call or rebooting, then wait for reindexing, works for me. Until it happens again.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #423
Sartori

Hehe, its already starting. Wait till more people find out that Lost, 24, Heroes, Battlestar, Eureka, etc. etc. are not getting recorded.

Directv won't know what hit them......
Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #424
robert1010

I bought a HR10-250 so that I could get HD, but of course after having the new dish put up on the roof I find out that I can't get local channels in HD. What a waste of $1000 x 2 (I have 2 HR 10-250). I called Directv and told them what the problem was and there answer was to purchase there new DVR. Well I just spent $2000 on the HR10-250's so I could get HD, now I suppose to buy there machine. After a long time on the phone with Directv they said they would give me free Showtime for 6 months and $10 of a month for 12 months. It still didn't fix the problem but what can you do. This was about 5 months ago. Everytime I get a bill it is wrong. They have overcharged me everymonth and when you call they say I can't fix it right now but it should show up on your bill in the next couple of months. I just talked to them 2 days ago because it's still not fixed and they owe me money back. There response is that they can't give a full credit right away but will have to do it over the next 9 months. What a joke, if they can overcharge me they can credit my bill right away. So if I want to cancel and go somewhere else I lose the money they overcharged me and I have 2 HR10-250 that i can't use. Bottom line, don't trust them when they say they will give you all these discounts.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #425
Sartori

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert1010
I bought a HR10-250 so that I could get HD, but of course after having the new dish put up on the roof I find out that I can't get local channels in HD. What a waste of $1000 x 2 (I have 2 HR 10-250). I called Directv and told them what the problem was and there answer was to purchase there new DVR. Well I just spent $2000 on the HR10-250's so I could get HD, now I suppose to buy there machine. After a long time on the phone with Directv they said they would give me free Showtime for 6 months and $10 of a month for 12 months. It still didn't fix the problem but what can you do. This was about 5 months ago. Everytime I get a bill it is wrong. They have overcharged me everymonth and when you call they say I can't fix it right now but it should show up on your bill in the next couple of months. I just talked to them 2 days ago because it's still not fixed and they owe me money back. There response is that they can't give a full credit right away but will have to do it over the next 9 months. What a joke, if they can overcharge me they can credit my bill right away. So if I want to cancel and go somewhere else I lose the money they overcharged me and I have 2 HR10-250 that i can't use. Bottom line, don't trust them when they say they will give you all these discounts.
What does this have to do with the current subject?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #426
fasTLane

$1000 for a Directivo? Talk about time shift.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #427
cinderella

Arrow

Tivo people can correct me if I'm wrong, but
I don't believe directv is providing the tivo dvr service, they have their own dvr service now and that's just how it works, it doesn't.
I haven't found anyone who hasn't had problems, most started at the first of the year or end of last year. They are also trying to get everyone to upgrade to their boxes. All boxes new and old are having the same problems.
In the mean time demand credit for dvr service fees, the people in the credit dept are pretty familiar with the issue by now. If they play dumb and say it's your box, remind them that it's not just you.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #428
jmahone

So, I too have had this problem with the SP/Wishlist recording issue. We noticed it on either the 22nd or 23rd of December, when our late night news SP didn't fire. I've been monitoring the problems through this thread, and thought I would offer up our experience so far:

DTiVo Problems? Phone Connected and Last Successful Call
GXCEBOT no problems no last phone call: 450 days ago
Philips 7000 no problems no last phone call: 47 days ago
R10 problems yes last phone call: 2 days ago

I have not attempted to fix the R10; instead, I have attempted to not break my other two DTiVos by leaving the phone cord unplugged and just wait for the fix on the R10.

My .02.

Jerry
1 - Philips DVR7000 DirecTiVo (unmod) (6.2)
1 - DirecTV R10 DirecTiVo (unmod) (6.1)
Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #429
Jasonf

I guess then I need to check mine out, maybe mine has been screwing up and I never noticed. I did have the main living room one reboot a few days ago, only way I knew was the time wasn't on the bottom right screen.....argh
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #430
fasTLane

With 3.1 software no reboots, no SP issue, no nothing. Working fine since day one, a year ago.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #431
Win Joy Jr

Well, I have a FIOS video install scheduled for the 28th...

DirecTV has until the 27th to fix or I am pulling the plug and the DirecTiVo's go up on E-Bay...

Sorry, this is a CRITICAL bug that needs to be addressed, and they SHOULD warn the customer community to babysit their systems until the fix gets rolled out.

Win
Old 01-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #432
ESPalmer

SP's Are fine still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
Reboot - Then wait 2 - 3 hours.

or....

Force daily call - Then wait 2 - 3 hours.

Either of the above will always fix it. Either of the above actions will force the unit to do a complete re-indexing, which will get rid of the problem, but the indexing takes a while to start and then to finish. Hence, the 2 - 3 hours before the "fix" is seen.

However, after you do the reboot of force daily call, be prepared to do it again 2 - 3 days later. The problem will be back.
Fishman,

I waited to see if the issue would return, it has not. My Battlestar SP has even caught the new season. Maybe the adjustment of the cancelled/deleted program record causes a reset?
Hope this helps others.

Just in case, all Battlestar fans should note the new day and time of airing
Sunday Jan 21st at 10p (eastern) 9 (central)

1- Directv-Tivo HDR THR-22
Old 01-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #433
robert1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartori
What does this have to do with the current subject?
My point was alot of people were talking about discount and stuff that Directv was giving them. I just didn't want them to get to excited about it because it may be there next issue with Directv.
Also, my Tivo is doing the same thing. One day it will record everything fine and the next day it will miss 1/2 of the shows.
So sorry if I wasn't suppose to post my thought here.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #434
starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69800
I am on the phone with dtv NOtechsupport. she tells me she has been there for12 years and this is the first she has heard of this problem. I tell here 500 more people on this web site. she says must be my r-10 and she would like to send me a new but can't. I hope I wake up from this nightmare soon.

mark
It is a real shame that DTV doesn't have some simple communication plan in place to send a flash email to all CSRs that describes the issue, provides the latest status on the issue, and informs CSRs what they should communicate to customers. It really reflects badly on DTV management that they don't have an effective process in place to communicate and educate their CSRs to widespread problems like this. It would be simple to setup a process to send emails to CSRs or have supervisors educate CSRs at the beginning of each shift. Really sad that CSRs are put in a position to be the customer interface for the company but CSRs are not provided with information they require to effectively do their jobs. I work for a very large services company and we are always very concerned about our corporate image and how every person represents the company.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #435
hudis

I just talked to DVR support and I now have a couple questions that directv is useless in answering. Maybe someone here knows. I am running a HR10-250 if it matters.

1. CSR wants me to remove all SP's and then schedule manually. Does removing the SP's buy me anything?

2. CSR would not cough up a rollout schedule whenever they decide to fix it. Anyone know what the normal software rollout schedule looks like? I assume it takes forever due to the risks involved with so many units all breaking at once.

3. We talked about credit of the $6/mo, and it was a no go. She was willing to cancel my DVR feature - nice huh? We had a little disagreement on if I was receiving the service that I am paying for. If it was canceled she says I can't record anything. I thought I could still do vcr style, meaning record between 8 and 9 on thursdays. Any confirmations? Oh course I will really just call cust retention and have it out - but I just love canceling services in this type situation.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #436
starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance31xx
I contacted Directv tonight and there prepared response was this is a TIVO issue and not a Directv issue. Gotta like the ability to pass the buck. Can tell the lady was reading from a prepared statement.
It was just a couple of years ago when this forum was visited on a regular basis by TiVoPony, TiVoBill, and the other TiVo employees. You remember them, right?!? It was great!! We had a direct line into TiVo and these guys were open and honest about issues and what was being done to resolve issues. It was a great communication mechanism between TiVo and many of their serious TiVo customers who are members of this forum. But it appears that the latest contract between DirecTV and TiVo put an end to these guys ability to respond on this forum since it probably puts the ownership of DVR issues with DTV even though the TiVo guys know more about the internal workings of the TiVo units. Unfortunately, widespread problems like this (and comments where the buck is being passed back and forth) reflect poorly on both companies at a time when they both need to have a positive image to maintain their competitive position.

I sure do miss TiVoPony and TiVoBill on this forum.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #437
John T Smith

>running a HR10-250

First, the hr10-250 has a different forum
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=36

Second, LOTS of previous discussions of these problems
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=332166
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=332358
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333005
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333247

The "general" solution (if there is such a thing, on an open forum) is to do a restart... which forces the software to clear the log file (may be the cause of the problem) and index the data stream so information is current... takes several hours, so do this well BEFORE you have something you want to record

What DirecTv ADMITS knowing
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=334572
Technical Linux discussion of problem
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=332340

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #438
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck
It was just a couple of years ago when this forum was visited on a regular basis by TiVoPony, TiVoBill, and the other TiVo employees. You remember them, right?!? It was great!! We had a direct line into TiVo and these guys were open and honest about issues and what was being done to resolve issues. It was a great communication mechanism between TiVo and many of their serious TiVo customers who are members of this forum. But it appears that the latest contract between DirecTV and TiVo put an end to these guys ability to respond on this forum since it probably puts the ownership of DVR issues with DTV even though the TiVo guys know more about the internal workings of the TiVo units. Unfortunately, widespread problems like this (and comments where the buck is being passed back and forth) reflect poorly on both companies at a time when they both need to have a positive image to maintain their competitive position.

I sure do miss TiVoPony and TiVoBill on this forum.
First, CES is going on right now so they're a bit occupied.

Second, DirecTV muzzled TiVo; TiVo can no longer talk about the DirecTV units. That all happened at the same time as DirecTV took over account management from TiVo and our TiVo service fee went down from $9.99 to $4.99 and the lifetime service option went away.

The good ol' days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #439
jca
Designer

Thumbs down American Idol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca
I have three DirecTivo boxes, and the only one affected (so far) with this problem is the one that is able to phone in. The other two boxes are not hooked up to the phone line and have never shown the bug/problem/etc.
Ok, I just checked and after first showing the bug in late December, the problem has returned to the DirecTivo that is hooked up to the phone line. It completed a call yesterday, and now the problem has returned today. The two other DirecTivos that aren't plugged into the phone line are still unaffected.

Here is the interesting part:

Among the missing shows on the ToDo List is the season premiere of American Idol, despite it being in the guide and a Season Pass. Given what's been discussed in this thread, no one show/channel is affected across the board, but what about this: Even if only the smallest fraction of DirecTivo owners were to miss the premiere of "the most popular show on television" because of this bug, that would still be a large number of customers, no?

Can you imagine the fallout for DirecTV if that happened? It's almost like we all see this big train bearing down on them that they haven't gotten out of the way of yet.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #440
John T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca
RE Americal Idol
Can you imagine the fallout for DirecTV if that happened? It's almost like we all see this big train bearing down on them that they haven't gotten out of the way of yet.
Over in one of the other threads about this I said it is time for everyone to start writing letters to news organizations to bring this matter to the public's attention (or, at least the part of the public with a DTivo but no knowledge of this forum)

So far, I have written to...
email 1/10 to cnn
email 1/10 to skynews
email 1/10 to Cavuto @ Foxnews (business reports)

If you can think of any other news outlets... find an address and send a note

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #441
dlmerchant

This situation is totally unacceptable. I have two HR10-250's, both of which are no longer reliably recording season passes. I have tried rebooting the machines, restoring them to factory default (clear and delete everything) and rebuilding all my season passes. All the fixes are just temporary, so don't bother. Based on all the problems, I moved the new "flagship" DirecTV HR20-700 to my primary TV. It has been freezing at least once per day, and needs to have the reset switch pressed in order to become response to commands once again.

The bottom line is I no longer have a working DVR from DTV. Since the DirecTiVo's no longer have a working season pass capability, and the new HR20-700 is unstable, I will likely cancel my DirecTV service. I have been a customer since 1997, but this in untenable.

In contrast, all of my Series 2 stand-alone TiVo's work flawlessly.

Last edited by dlmerchant : 01-10-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #442
jca
Designer

Arrow Digg This

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Smith
You could always try "Digging" the link to this tivocommunity.com thread to the front page of Digg.com.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #443
j0hnW
is uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudis
I just talked to DVR support and I now have a couple questions that directv is useless in answering. Maybe someone here knows. I am running a HR10-250 if it matters.

1. CSR wants me to remove all SP's and then schedule manually. Does removing the SP's buy me anything?
It's been my experience that the only thing this will buy you is a big headache trying to re-create all your SPs. In other words, I've found it totally unnecessary. And I can't believe that the CSRs are still telling people this. Maybe they're just hoping you'll create fewer SPs in the process and notice the missed programs less All you really need to do is force a Daily Call and/or reboot and then wait a couple of hours for the program data to be re-indexed.

Quote:
2. CSR would not cough up a rollout schedule whenever they decide to fix it. Anyone know what the normal software rollout schedule looks like? I assume it takes forever due to the risks involved with so many units all breaking at once.
I don't see how they could make the situation much worse. Seriously thought, it should be pretty straight-forward to create a patch -- this is not a new feature release -- do the regression testing, and then release. I'm surprised it taken as long as it has. My guess is that they haven't decided that this problem is important enough to warrant the attention/investment. That calculation may change if they start getting bad press about this issue, once the new season of shows hits.

Quote:
3. We talked about credit of the $6/mo, and it was a no go. She was willing to cancel my DVR feature - nice huh? We had a little disagreement on if I was receiving the service that I am paying for. If it was canceled she says I can't record anything. I thought I could still do vcr style, meaning record between 8 and 9 on thursdays. Any confirmations?
On DirecTivos, I don't know. On the stand-alones, you used to be able to use them as manual recorders (putting up with "nag" screens). But I don't know about DirecTivos, particularly since they use a programmed access card. I don't know if they go into "boat anchor" mode. Maybe someone else can jump in with an answer here.

John
Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #444
harpegw
Occasional Poster

FYI, I made the change to /etc/syslog.conf and commented out the local0.info;local0.!err -/var/log/tvlog line on my two symptomatic directivos. Obviously, you have to have a hacked unit to be able to do this, but both tivos are fully functional and have had no reboots or misoperations since Sunday when I made the change. The tvlog file was filling up /var very fast on both units, more than once a day before the changes, when one of the units ran indexing with /var at 100%, the unit lost episodes on the to do list, and other things stopped working (ncid wouldn't log calls or display caller id info, among others), and the unit was unresponsive/slow (busy logging so many errors to the log file, I guess). Directv needs to be on top of this, people aren't going to put up with this issue, I risked the edit to get my wife's tivo working properly, she has no patience to babysit something that has worked so well for so long.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #445
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartori
I do not believe that rebooting or forcing a phone call has any effect on indexing, I think that indexing happens when it happens and nothing short of using the "Clear program info and to do list" forces reindexing.
Yes. re-indexing does indeed happen when it happens. For example, for most of us, it happens within a couple of hours after a reboot. So you're mistaken that nothing short of "Clear" forces re-indexing, as ample testimony in this contradicts you.

I have a feeling you're just very justifiably frustrated, and are getting annoyed that others are benefiting from the temporary fix (reboot/force-call), while you aren't getting the same results.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #446
MacQ2

Season Passes cannot be re-entered

For those of you considering re-entering Season Passes, it probably is impossible. To enter a Season Pass it must be listed in the current live guide (or found via search or similar). I have plenty of SPs that aren't currently scheduled so it would be impossible to add them as SPs.

I could add their titles as Wish List/Title search items. But, this isn't quite the same thing (and very time consuming). WL items are recorded on any channel they appear on - SPs only on the specific channel chosen.

For example, if I have Heroes as a SP on my local network channel, changing it to WL would bring in the episodes showing on SciFi - not what I want.

If DirecTV suggests this as a solution, tell them they've suggested an impossible task.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #447
MacQ2

Enough with the phone line speculation please

And, please, can we stop posting our results as to whether being plugged into a phone line matters. There's plenty of people with problems that don't make regular daily calls and those that are making regular calls. It clearly is not the definitive answer or even marginally relavent.

It might be interesting to note those that have really old versions of the software to see if they are not affected. But, I"m not sure how this would help put further pressure on DirecTV to get us a fix. The vast majority of us have current software and resorting back to several versions ago isn't an answer.

If you do make contact with DTV, call them if your time allows. Emailing them gives them an easy out - they just send out a canned email - takes 2 seconds. It's far more expensive for them for us to tie up a tech or a few on the phone and keep their phone lines busy. The bigger problem it is for them the quicker we'll get a response. Their rep is more likely to spend time with you if you're polite and ask pointed questions than being abrasive - just my experience.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #448
starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Smith
Swanni at TV Predictions has the info on his site and hopefully the info was sent out to his newsletter list of 10,000 subscribers.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvtivo010307.htm
Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #449
jca
Designer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ2
And, please, can we stop posting our results as to whether being plugged into a phone line matters. There's plenty of people with problems that don't make regular daily calls and those that are making regular calls. It clearly is not the definitive answer or even marginally relavent.
So are we to take it you know what the definitive answer is or what is marginally relevant?

It's not necessarily to tell people what information is "relevant" at this point until we know what the answer is or at least a better idea of the problem.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #450
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

I'm just moving as many local network SPs to my S3 for now. I'm about to buy an S2 on ebay to hook up as well so I can MRV with my bedroom DTS2 so I can eventually move over all my SPs from the DTivos to the standalones. its a shame that I have to do this and DTV is pushing me towards cancelling their service more and more every day.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR