Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #391
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs5694
As far as I can recall, you're the only person who has reported in this thread that this procedure doesn't work. Judging by the responses here, this procedure does seem to work (as a temporary fix, not a permanent fix) for most people. Although this is cold consolation for you, it still appears that forcing a call or rebooting the DirecTiVo is the only known way to (temporarily) correct the problem, short of hacking the DirecTiVo, so the advice is still good advice.

As a matter of scientific/technical interest, of course, I'd like to know why the procedure isn't working for you. I have four hypotheses, but the only way to test them would be to examine your TiVo's hard disk:
  1. You might have other cruft in /var that's mostly filling the partition, causing the problem to recur before (or very soon after) the re-indexing fixes it. Alternatively, perhaps your /var partition is unusually small, with similar effects.
  2. Your /var/log/tvlog file could be filling unusually fast for some reason -- perhaps whatever is causing the excessive logging is worse for you than for others. The result would be similar to #1.
  3. You might be experiencing a problem with an unrelated root cause but similar symptoms to what the rest of us are seeing. This could be in addition to the problem most of us are seeing -- a "double whammy," as it were.
  4. The hypothesis about the cause being a /var/log/tvlog file growing out of control being the root cause could be completely wrong. Unfortunately, this explanation would detract from our understanding -- we'd be back to square one, if it were true. (That doesn't mean that it's not true, of course; it'd just be annoying on an intellectual level if it were true.)

Have you ever hacked your DirecTiVo or expanded its hard disk? What model do you have? If you're running anything other than a stock DirecTiVo, the method and tools you used to hack it could be a clue to understanding why the workaround that works for most of us isn't working for you.
An additional data point:

Patience can be a virtue.

Up until now, a reboot always "fixed" mine within 2 - 3 hours.

Last night, mine was showing the problem again and the reboot fixed it, but it took about 5.5 hours, a new record for my unit.

Of course, if previous patterns hold, when I return home from work tonight it has about a 50/50 chance of being screwed up again, and if not, close to a 100% chance of being screwed up tomorrow night.

No one says a reboot or forced call is a solution, but for me, it has always provided "temporary relief".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #392
mitchb2

I guess I'm going to call DTV tonight and get on the list "officially."
I've seen some mention here about $5.99 refunds. My entire DTV service is WORTHLESS at this point. I don't watch live TV and I haven't since 2000. If my shows aren't recording, then my service is worthless not to the tune of $5.99 / month, but $60 per month.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #393
DanB

So for us lazy SOBs, what's the current thinking on this problem?

I checked all my current SPs and if they show any upcoming shows they're only for this week (even though there are others). This is on a series one DTV unit (both of mine have this problem).

Seems like DTV or even TiVo should jump in here and get this problem resolved since it makes the unit/service worthless.

If they dont maybe we should form some kind of class action -- not for us to get anything from it but to either convince DTV to fix the problem or make them suffer from the legal fees.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #394
Bob Coxner

A few numbers. According to Motley Fool, 63% of Tivo's 4.4 million customers are with DirecTV. That means about 2.5 million D-Tivo units in operation. Based on complaints here, and on DTV's own tech forums, it appears that probably all of us are being hit with it. That's 2.5 *MILLION* boxes! Imagine the number of service calls being made.

For the conspiracy theorists, there is no way on God's green earth that DTV is trying to hose 2.5 MILLION customers so they can push their own DVR. They don't have 2.5 MILLION R-15's in the warehouse and it would take their installers a couple of years to replace all the D-Tivos.

Another factor to consider is that their BEST customers (who spend the most) are the ones most likely to own D-Tivos. For example, Wilbon on Pardon the Interruption is always going on about DirecTV and his Tivo. I'm guessing there are a large number of other celebs and rich folk who own and use them. Not to mention DTV execs. You would hope that when those people get mad that DTV takes notice.

I'm hoping that the sheer number of service calls will eventually get them moving.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #395
Rae

Add me to the growing list of Directv w/ TiVo customers w/ problems. I noticed a problem last fall with a SP pass for House Hunters....the new shows weren't recording and the To Do List reported that someone in my household had cancelled. NOT. I blew it off until last week, we've lost CBS evening news, Jeopardy and our local news from Philly. I reset the machine, deleted the SP's and 4-5 hours later all was well, or so I thought. More shows dropped off the To Do List and now we are stinking annoyed.

Last night I called Directv. The first customer service agent acted like he was surprised to hear that I was having trouble. I told him I had checked on the user forums and that it appeared to be a widespread problem, he then acknowledged that yes it was a problem and a fix should be out soon. I asked for a credit which he did not want to issue, he said my Directv service was still working, true, it is, but my TiVo service is not, he finally offered me a $5.99 credit and sent me off to someone higher up on the technical support chain. The next agent was reading from a computer, suggesting I do all the things I tried already. She said the problem was with TiVo and said Directv will send me an email when it's fixed.

The most annoying part of this for me is the inability to search for upcoming shows and wishlists that don't work. I did a search for ER and nothing turned up....ER is always, always, always ON.

Most annoying!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #396
llurgy
Yorkshire Lass

Me too.....I have had several programs over the last month that have disappeared before recording. Same message...
"this program did not record because someone in your household...blah, blah, blah....
Looking at the program recording list....that is a joke sometimes....only 20 programs listed under 'N' when searching through 'all' programs!!!

This problem is getting rather old now.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #397
j0hnW
is uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner
A few numbers. According to Motley Fool, 63% of Tivo's 4.4 million customers are with DirecTV. That means about 2.5 million D-Tivo units in operation. Based on complaints here, and on DTV's own tech forums, it appears that probably all of us are being hit with it. That's 2.5 *MILLION* boxes! Imagine the number of service calls being made.
<...snip...>
I'm hoping that the sheer number of service calls will eventually get them moving.
It wouldn't surprise me if a majority of these 2.5 million DTivo users ( @ 16% of all DTV subscribers, I believe) haven't recognized the problem yet. DirecTV has been extremely luck so far in that this problem hit while most shows were on hiatus or in re-run hell. Plus many folks were busy with the holidays.

However, I think that's all going to change in the next week or two, as the new seasons start up. Can you imagine the uproar when folks start missing new episodes of their beloved "24", "Lost", "American Idol", etc ? I expect to see mentions on CNN, etc, once enough people start miss season premiers/new-shows.

It will be interesting to see if that "motivates" DirecTV to actually do something (ie. fix the problem with software update; revert the causal data change; and/or make substantial credits for customer retention).

Waiting for the fireworks,
John
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #398
twobeards

On one hand it is nice to know that I'm not alone with this problem. On the other it is a really annoying *bleeping* problem.

I checked ahead on some of my SPs and a fair number of my personal favorite shows are all having the problem. Hell I missed House tonight because of this.

There is no way in hell I'll switch the Directv DVRs. My roommate bought one and that thing sucked. He promptly boxed it back up and went and got a Tivo Directv box.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #399
llurgy
Yorkshire Lass

Well I think Directv is rather clever...Well look at it this way.
They have a guide/software problem that can be temp fixed by a reboot....well coincidentally they also have a problem where the receiver randomly reboots!!!
Now if they could just get both problems working together we would all have properly working Directivos again
Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #400
twobeards

My roommates Directv Tivo unit is not hooked up to the phone line and there doesn't seem to be any problems with his SPs. There are a few shows that we both Tivo and on mine they were not recording the new episodes while his were being recorded. The more I read and research the angrier I get.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #401
lance31xx

I contacted Directv tonight and there prepared response was this is a TIVO issue and not a Directv issue. Gotta like the ability to pass the buck. Can tell the lady was reading from a prepared statement.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #402
mstbone67a

setting up the cron job to wipelogs.. seems to be working for my 3 r10's, fingers crossed..
DUB-E100 Network adapters for all,I am using Dlink DUB-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #403
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

a question - I remember it was mentioned about the errors/reboots possibly being caused due to corrupt local network data. has anyone tried removing all local channel season passes from their unit to see if this stops the rebooting?
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #404
llurgy
Yorkshire Lass

If I removed all of my local channel seasons passes I would have no season passes left.
Ergo....no need for the Tivo then

Mandy
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #405
Colin650

Grrrrr. Count me in as one of those with useless Season Passes. Restarted and forced a daily call but so far most of them still show "no upcoming episodes." Totally unacceptable for us not to get a message from Tivo acknowledging the problem.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:14 AM   #406
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin650
... Totally unacceptable for us not to get a message from Tivo acknowledging the problem.
Why would you expect TiVo to say or do anything. The DirecTV receiver with TiVo is completely supported by DTV not TiVo.

While DTV may ask TiVo for help and there may even be a contractual requirement for TiVo to provide the help it is DTV and DTV alone that has the responsibility for this.

On the issue itself: My series 2 has not had the problem repeat for over 4 days but my 2 series 1s both had the problem repeat twice in that period.

The last time they both had the problem happen within a hour of each other do I rebooted one and left the other one untouched.

They both resumed normal operation within an hour of each other so I conclude that rebooting made no difference.

I do not believe that rebooting or forcing a phone call has any effect on indexing, I think that indexing happens when it happens and nothing short of using the "Clear program info and to do list" forces reindexing.

Of course the one thing that restarting will solve is when the DTiVo os stuck in the middle fo something like one of mine was about two weeks ago when it was stuck after a phone call in loading data for almost 20 hours/ A reset cured that.

IF the TiVo is stuck in something that is preventing the indexing subroutine from running then a reset would cure that.

From all the varying reports here I believe that the problem is triggered by something new in the data stream and the exact behavior we see is dependent on exactly where the TiVo is in various subroutines and processes at the time it hits the problem. The problem can be anything from full log files (maybe causing a reboot) to, what seems to be the most common problem, loss of all or part of indexing into the program info.

Unfortunately all the speculation we can do will not help get the problem resolved. This is exactly what many feared when the tech was handed over to DTV as they have no one familiar with the internal details of the TiVo software and therefore no one that is truly qualified to support the TiVo platform or diagnose any problem or even fully test data modifications.

I guess all we can really do is wait and baby-sit our DTiVos until DTV stumbles on the fix.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #407
Sartori

I do not believe that rebooting or forcing a phone call has any effect on indexing, I think that indexing happens when it happens and nothing short of using the "Clear program info and to do list" forces reindexing.

Well glory hallelujah
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #408
dleithaus
DanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance31xx
I contacted Directv tonight and there prepared response was this is a TIVO issue and not a Directv issue. Gotta like the ability to pass the buck. Can tell the lady was reading from a prepared statement.

Huh? So what does that mean? Does it mean we have to call Tivo to be referred back to Direct TV? Does it mean that Direct TV is not taking responsibility for the equipment many of us PURCHASED DIRECTLY FROM DIRECT TV?

For a problem like this to continue over a month is unacceptable.
To have Direct TV CSR's act like they have not heard of the concern (or for Direct TV management to not have communicated this to ALL CSR's makes them look unresponsive and maybe even like idiots.) Then it makes the CSR's look dishonest when they have to fess up when confronted with the fact that some Direct TV Tivo users actually participate in known discussion forums and that WE are aware there are problems.

A much better approach--on the front end.... "yes we acknowledge we have a problem right now. We are working to fix it" Even better, add a DATE when the problem is expected to be fixed. All I want is acknowledgment and when I can expect a problem to be fixed (for now....!).
Old 01-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #409
dbish

I finally called last night just to add another to their list. As usual, the first rep was clueless but she transferred be to the HD/DVR group which was a little better but not much. They told me to do the following:

Clear all wish lists
Delete all Season Passes
Reboot
Wait 24 hrs to get guide info

I have no confidence this will work but I wanted to post what they said. I think it is a stall tactic to kill a few days before I call back. I have deleted season passes and re-added them. I have also tried most of the suggestions in this thread. Sometimes the recordings get scheduled and then go away after a day or so. Sometimes they don't get rescheduled. I have 3 SDTivos and 1 HDTivo and they are all having this issue.

Let's hope they fix it soon!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #410
mitchb2

We have over 100 SP's. There is no way I'm going to do that without definitive proof that it permanently fixes the problem.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #411
jca
Designer

Note Phone home

Just wanted to add (again) to the thread:

I have three DirecTivo boxes, and the only one affected (so far) with this problem is the one that is able to phone in. The other two boxes are not hooked up to the phone line and have never shown the bug/problem/etc.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #412
sweh

Quote:
Originally Posted by llurgy
Well I think Directv is rather clever...Well look at it this way.
They have a guide/software problem that can be temp fixed by a reboot....well coincidentally they also have a problem where the receiver randomly reboots!!!
Now if they could just get both problems working together we would all have properly working Directivos again
I'm not convinced it's a coincidence. The theory that /var filling up matches my observations.

Yesterday evening I noticed House wasn't scheduled for recording and didn't show in the "Upcoming episodes" list, but it was in the guide. I telnet'd in and saw /var was 100% full. This probably stops the index process from working properly. I set a "record this also", cleaned up the tvlog file and rebooted, then went out for dinner.

When I got home, House was being recorded and this morning the ToDo list now also correctly showed Smallville and Supernatural, so cleaning /var and rebooting seemed to let it rebuild the index properly.

I'll probably comment out the tvlog entry in syslog.conf since I obviously am not good enough at rotating the log file manually!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #413
Jasonf

I have 4 boxes and have not had this problem. However, I haven't plugged them in to the phone line for over 2 years....so I guess I'm glad that I never have.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #414
sandoo23

I don't know if I am convinced that having your unit connected to a phone line matters for this. I have one that is connected and one that is not and both have experienced this problem.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #415
dbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoo23
I don't know if I am convinced that having your unit connected to a phone line matters for this. I have one that is connected and one that is not and both have experienced this problem.
Agreed. I have 3 of my 4 zippered using fakecall so they never call out. The 3 zippered and the 1 un-zippered (phone plugged in) have the same issue.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #416
kayest

dvr problems

i have noticed the same thing happening to me with my season passes being done away with. but there is one thing you can go in and change your records to date/channel records. i know this is a pain but it will record them. i have contacted directv via email. i have one of there boxes and i have loved it until now. i only noticed this happening since the new year. seems ya'll have had it a while longer. but maybe this will help a little.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #417
Win Joy Jr

Well, add in another instance here. One DirecTiVo (Phillips DSR7000) is missing a bunch of recordings for this week. Wierd thing is that they are correctly scheduled for next week. This unit phones in.

My HDVR2 that does not phone in is fine at this time.

Just talked to my wife, and she said go ahead an schedule FIOS video install even if it costs more. So I mave have 2 DirecTiVo's available in a week or so...
Old 01-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #418
Win Joy Jr

Another data point (and I did not review the entire thread), but my last call was 1/2/07 with the next call scheduled for 1/11/07. The interesting thing is my last Service Data Download was 1/9, and the Last Status is "None Available". First time I have seen that message...
Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #419
Hobgoblin42

Same Issue here. Last night I forced it to call! The loading data was still going when I went to bed last night 4 hours later. This morning all season Passes, To do lists and wish lists were correct.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #420
allan
I survived the Mayan

I just discovered this bug! As crappy as TV has been in December, it's quite possible that it's been doing it all month without me noticing it. I just happened to have my TV on last night and I noticed that House wasn't recording. I checked to see why, expecting that it was that 28 day thing, but instead it gave that "someone modified the SP" bull. I also noticed that the upcoming 24 isn't on my ToDo list.

BEEP