TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #361
DemRoyer

Update - Problem averted for the time being?

I posted a note last week about this issue, saying that the problem with my SPs and WLs was fixed by forcing a reindex by either restarting my R10 or forcing a phone call to the DVR service. In addition, I decided to unplug my phone line to see if any of the random phone connections to DirecTV were prompting my problem to come back. Maybe it's too soon to tell, but the problem hasn't come back since I unplugged my phone line (6 days and counting). The problem had come back within a day or 2 previously, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the problem stays away for the time being. Of course if what the DirecTV CSRs are saying is right, I won't get the fix without plugging my phone line back in (Catch-22 anyone?).

Whether this is wishful thinking on my part or not, the problem was definitely temporarily fixed for me by forcing a reindex, so I would recommend that anyone try that route first before doing anything drastic like deleting their SPs or wiping out their recorded programs.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #362
xtivoox

update in progress...?

tried to force call > "you cannot begin a new connection... see system information for status of download." great the fix must be eminent... only system info. does not indicate anything is downloading?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #363
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendyer
Reboot+Force call are the work-around. Switching to a new unit is not a work-around given my Lifetime TIVO subscription + Upgraded Dual-Sat T-60.
You realize that the lifetime service is part of your DirecTV account now, and not tied to the specific receiver, right?

Granted, I wouldn't want an HR20 either, but I just wanted to make sure you weren't basing your decision on erroneous info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #364
biker
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtivoox
tried to force call > "you cannot begin a new connection... see system information for status of download." great the fix must be eminent... only system info. does not indicate anything is downloading?
That happen to me. I rebooted and was able to call in.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #365

customer service

I am on the phone with dtv NOtechsupport. she tells me she has been there for12 years and this is the first she has heard of this problem. I tell here 500 more people on this web site. she says must be my r-10 and she would like to send me a new but can't. I hope I wake up from this nightmare soon.

mark

keep it simple
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #366
Gordon Gekko

Same thing happened here. Two weeks ago had the problem with certain season passes not being recorded, gave it a couple of days and it fixed itself. Then tonight I saw that the same thing was going on, I specifically checked the to do list and Two and a Half Men was listed to record. I went to check it 5 minutes after it started and it was not recording.

So I came back here and read all of the baloney that Directv was telling everybody, I decided to call to add to the list of disgruntled customers. They bumped me up two levels, the rep said that I could either do a reboot, if that didn't work I could erase all of the SP's and then put them back in. He took down my email address saying Directv was actively trying to fix this and they would email me when they solved the problem.

I'd like to call into retention and get some sort of a credit but I doubt I will considering I am already receiving a credit from another screw up and I don't think they allow 2 credits at once.

At this point I don't know what to do, the bad thing is even shows that say they will record don't record, so you can't even manually put something in to record.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #367
srs5694

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
If you have access to telnet into your TiVo (or have Hackman installed on TiVoWeb), try doing this (as posted by dave7101 on "the other forum"):
Quote:
Try this for a temp* workaround that is far better than wipelog etc etc

Edit /etc/syslog.conf and make the change below, reboot. Bob's your uncle.

local0.info;local0.!err -/var/log/tvlog

To:
#local0.info;local0.!err -/var/log/tvlog
FWIW, I just went to do this on my unit (a Series 1 Sony SAT-T60). It seems to have a slightly different log file configuration compared to what you've listed. Instead of the single line noted in the message you quoted, this is what mine has:

Code:
local0.=info    -/var/log/tvlog
local0.=notice  -/var/log/tvlog
local0.=warn    -/var/log/tvlog
Going on the principle of "it's better not to log anything than to have these problems," I've commented them all out and rebooted. Now I just have to wait a few days to see if it helps any....

On another matter, I called DirecTV when this problem recurred this evening. The first rep was clueless and connected me to the DVR group. The rep there tried to point the finger at TiVo, implying it was their fault and that TiVo was falling down on the job. When I (admittedly angrily) told her that I paid my money to DirecTV and it was therefore a DirecTV problem, I was put on hold and the call was ultimately dropped. I called back and talked to another first-tier rep, who this time put me on hold to "research" the issue rather than transfer me to the DVR group. When she got back, she at least didn't try to pass the buck like a politician, but she did say that a fix was due "in a few weeks." When I demanded a refund of my DVR fee, she said that she couldn't do that, but she could give me a $5 discount for three months. I took that, but reading recent posts, it seems I might have been able to hold out for more. Oh, well....
Old 01-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #368
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs5694
When I demanded a refund of my DVR fee, she said that she couldn't do that, but she could give me a $5 discount for three months.
Doesn't it make you wonder why the CSR's can behave like such mathematical idiots? You asked for the $5.99 fee to be refunded for a month. They say that's not possible. So instead, the offer you $15 spread over 3 months. Purely on a revenue basis, the CSR should have their pay docked for the difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #369
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Doesn't it make you wonder why the CSR's can behave like such mathematical idiots?
Must have been one of them on the NBC primetime gameshow "1 -vs- 100" the other night.

The contestant was asked "How many six-packs of beer would you need to have the number of bottles in the song 99 bottles of beer on the wall?"

A. Less than 15
B. 15
C. More than 15

The contestant knew that 10 six-packs would be 60 bottles, but then decided to "punt" and use one of the 'lifeline' type things to help them answer the question. Is this what our education system turns out these days?!?!?

Last edited by goony : 01-09-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #370
Harleypeyton

Same Problem here

Started on one box. Then moved like a virus to two more. Made the tech support calls, and the best I got was "this is a known issue." Garsh. Thanks.

Manual record still works. But Season Pass is not worth the risk at the moment. Here's hoping that fix arrives soon. Unless of course this is just a little intentional Tivo-killing designed to sell a few more of DirecTV's own awful DVRs.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #371
goony

Quote:
DirecTV's own awful DVRs.
I just finished a thread in another forum where people were speaking of class-action lawsuit against DirecTV due to R15 freezing, bugs galore, etc. along with their being hung up on by support people after 45 minutes of hold and then reporting their problems.

They must have a real quality control issue as some people claim there are no issues with their R15s whatsoever.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #372
Harleypeyton

Yep

As bad a new product rollout as I can recall. They've made some excuses and some promises. (It's all about a software upgrade, etc.) But bottom line, the boxes are a disaster. Which is why I stocked up on a couple extra Tivo/DTV boxes from Ebay. But now, interestingly enuf, even those aren't immune to screwups.

And rebooting is only a temporary fix. Best to simply record using the manual date/time function.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #373
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleypeyton
As bad a new product rollout as I can recall. They've made some excuses and some promises. (It's all about a software upgrade, etc.) But bottom line, the boxes are a disaster. Which is why I stocked up on a couple extra Tivo/DTV boxes from Ebay. But now, interestingly enuf, even those aren't immune to screwups.

And rebooting is only a temporary fix. Best to simply record using the manual date/time function.

FYI: I'm having the exact same problem discussed in this thread on all 3 of my TIVO/DIRECTV boxes
Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #374
mcollett

Season Pass issue

I want to add my name to the list of those affected by the Season Pass issue. It started about 1/1/07. I am running a HR10-250, had little or no problems until I noticed nothing being in the ToDo list after 12/31.

I had it cleared up until this morning when I rebooted the box, and now upcoming shows like "House", "Scrubs", and "Las Vegas" are no longer in the ToDo list. I forced it to make a call after the reboot, but it hasn't fixed anything. It did do an indexing at 11:53am this morning, but we still have issues.

My mom (running some SD Tivo) definitely has seen the issue as well, and my sister is complaining that she might have it. 3 different hardware types, so definitely a software issue.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #375
Sartori

Just some more info too those guys that suggested that rebooting and or forcing a call fixes the problem.

It didn't fix it, I rebooted it last night before I went to bed and ER was on the to do list for this week, this morning gone......

So...... let me make this clear....

Rebooting and or forcing a call does not, I repeat, does not alway fix the problem in peoples cases. So let me make this clear

Quit saying that this will fix the problem, It doesn't!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #376
sandoo23

Here's the Only (temporary) Solution That Worked for Me

First, thank god for this forum. If I hadn't read this thread, I probably would have let them talk me into their piece o' crap, non-tivo dvr.

The fact that DirecTv has known about this issue since mid-December and has failed to:

1) properly notify their tech support reps
2) fix it

is completely ridiculous.

Experiencing the same problems...shows dropping off the "to be recorded list", checking the season pass for upcoming episodes only to have it say "none" when a check of the onscreen guide shows episodes coming that should be recorded, typing in names of shows that are airing in the next few days only to not have them appear on a title search, etc.

After 45 minutes last night with a well meaning but clueless, first-tier tech person I was still solution free.

Tried deleting and redoing a season pass...no go.

Rebooted machine....no go.

Forced a call...no go.

Only after I did *all* of that, did I try something on my own. Instead of deleting a season pass, I went into a season pass and said I wanted to change a recording option. After getting to that screen I didn't change anything and had it resave. Only then did I see that it started finding shows and adding them back to the "to be recorded" as they should have been in the first place.

I fear this is only temporary and am now continually checking my "to be recorded" several times a day...ocd style.

I hope this is a successful "work around" until they get off their DirecTv duffs and actually fix this glitch.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #377
tv_watcher

This all started for me around the 22nd. When I first few times I called DirecTV, they had me do the reset, then delete the season passes with reset, and then the delete all DVR related items. None of that worked for very long. The last time I called (on Jan 1st), they didn't let me know this was a problem for everyone and I hadn't found this forum yet. They told me to do the "Clear and Delete Everything" option because my Tivo was likely bad and this was the last option before buying new equipment, so I did it. So after several hours, my receiver came back on like when you first hook it up. It is now 8 days later and I have not had the problem again. All of my Season Passes are working.

I have another R10 which I did not do this with and it still has the problem. I reset and call in everyday and it fixes it for a day or two.

Anyway, I can't say the "Clear and Delete Everything" will work forever, but it has outlasted a lot of the other temp fixes so I thought I'd mention it. I did lose a lot of programs on my hard drive when I did it and I'm not sure I would have done it if I'd known it was a universal Tivo problem, but those that don't keep shows may want to try it.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #378
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtivoox
set-up a season pass for this old house on wycc-20 (chicago pbs) FROM THE GUIDE. then view upcoming showings from the season pass manager > all 17 episodes listed were on diy (230), none for wycc-20.

what is happening in east boston, guess i will never know.
Look for east boston under " This Old House Hour".
Old 01-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #379
rescuefire

I have recently had some of the same problems. My R10 is resetting itself and in the Season Pass manager there are no "upcoming showings" listed. Although when I use the guide and go day by day I can choose the programs to record and it does add them to the "To Do" list. Not sure if they are actually recording yet or not, I just did that last night.

I called DTV and got a tech that actually was honest and knew a bit about this problem. She stated that it in fact is a software problem and that "they are working on it". She couldn't give me a definite date as to when this problem will be solved all she could say was that they are working on it and it should be resolved soon (sure sure).

I also explained that my R10 is useful as just a DVR now and not a TIVO machine and that I'm a little pissed that I'm paying for the Tivo service. By the end of the conversation I had a $100 credit on my account and numerous apologies about my inconvenience. Love the credit HATE that I have to keep checking the guide just to get my shows recorded!!! So, hang in there, is about all I can say. Lets see if DTV really gets this resolved quickly.

Just to add a quick note here. I was told that DTV and Tivo are not "under contract" anymore but DTV will still be supporting the Tivo service since so many of us still have the Tivo service and not the Direct TV version of Tivo. No clue if it's true or not.

Last edited by rescuefire : 01-09-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: New information
Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #380
mitchb2

Almost every day for the past week, my 30-second skip has become disabled...which tells me the Tivo is rebooting almost every night. Why?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #381
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

I have THE only fix that will work for everyone.

what you do is this, buy yourself a new DTS2 or an S3(or both ) and then call your local cable company and subscribe. this way you'll still have Tivo but not DTV and their crappy service.

**NOTE**

you will then of course have a completely different company giving you crappy service but your Tivos will atleast function properly.
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #382
mwarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartori
let me make this clear....

Rebooting and or forcing a call does not, I repeat, does not alway fix the problem in peoples cases. So let me make this clear

May not fix the problem for you, but it has fixed the problem for me 3 times now.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #383
srs5694

Quote:

As far as I can recall, you're the only person who has reported in this thread that this procedure doesn't work. Judging by the responses here, this procedure does seem to work (as a temporary fix, not a permanent fix) for most people. Although this is cold consolation for you, it still appears that forcing a call or rebooting the DirecTiVo is the only known way to (temporarily) correct the problem, short of hacking the DirecTiVo, so the advice is still good advice.

As a matter of scientific/technical interest, of course, I'd like to know why the procedure isn't working for you. I have four hypotheses, but the only way to test them would be to examine your TiVo's hard disk:
  1. You might have other cruft in /var that's mostly filling the partition, causing the problem to recur before (or very soon after) the re-indexing fixes it. Alternatively, perhaps your /var partition is unusually small, with similar effects.
  2. Your /var/log/tvlog file could be filling unusually fast for some reason -- perhaps whatever is causing the excessive logging is worse for you than for others. The result would be similar to #1.
  3. You might be experiencing a problem with an unrelated root cause but similar symptoms to what the rest of us are seeing. This could be in addition to the problem most of us are seeing -- a "double whammy," as it were.
  4. The hypothesis about the cause being a /var/log/tvlog file growing out of control being the root cause could be completely wrong. Unfortunately, this explanation would detract from our understanding -- we'd be back to square one, if it were true. (That doesn't mean that it's not true, of course; it'd just be annoying on an intellectual level if it were true.)

Have you ever hacked your DirecTiVo or expanded its hard disk? What model do you have? If you're running anything other than a stock DirecTiVo, the method and tools you used to hack it could be a clue to understanding why the workaround that works for most of us isn't working for you.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #384
lew

Quote:
Just some more info too those guys that suggested that rebooting and or forcing a call fixes the problem.

It didn't fix it, I rebooted it last night before I went to bed and ER was on the to do list for this week, this morning gone......

So...... let me make this clear....

Making a phone call, assuming your unit isn't hacked, and then rebooting will clear your logs and re-index your unit.

That combination seems to, at least temporarily, solve the problem for most customers.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #385
baseballmom

I have been reading these posts and also having similar problems. I too have contacted diret tv and have had several different explanations. One that no one has shared yet. I also contacted tivo regarding the problem. I have been told that direct tv and tivo no longer have an agreement to work together. I was told my last tivo update with current software was in 2005. Updates from direct tv are current for what they do but no current software updates from tivo . That it has finally caught up that the last tivo update can no longer support what is happening with the direct tv updates and basically our boxes are confused. I was told there were no notices sent to customers regarding no longer being affiliated with tivo and we wouldnt be receiving updates from tivo because they no longer offer tivo services. Has anyone been told this. I basically had to get them to fess up due to the fact that I got this information from tivo when I called them and then confronted diret tv. They did not deny that they no longer work with tivo. Again, this is a different story and have been told different things and this could be misinformation but was told this from tivo and then confirmed by a supervisor.
Can anyone else verify this?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #386
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmom
I have been reading these posts and also having similar problems. I too have contacted diret tv and have had several different explanations. One that no one has shared yet. I also contacted tivo regarding the problem. I have been told that direct tv and tivo no longer have an agreement to work together. I was told my last tivo update with current software was in 2005. Updates from direct tv are current for what they do but no current software updates from tivo . That it has finally caught up that the last tivo update can no longer support what is happening with the direct tv updates and basically our boxes are confused. I was told there were no notices sent to customers regarding no longer being affiliated with tivo and we wouldnt be receiving updates from tivo because they no longer offer tivo services. Has anyone been told this. I basically had to get them to fess up due to the fact that I got this information from tivo when I called them and then confronted diret tv. They did not deny that they no longer work with tivo. Again, this is a different story and have been told different things and this could be misinformation but was told this from tivo and then confirmed by a supervisor.
Can anyone else verify this?
While DirecTV has chosen not to use TiVo for their new line of DVR's, they have continued to renew their contract to continue supporting the existing DVR's and that includes software updates. Put simply, the CSR you spoke to is pretty much just making things up as s/he goes along. Par for the course, unfortunately.

The problem appears to be affecting all software versions of all TiVo models that are DirecTV receivers. That most likely means something on the server side changed that either is now not correct or has exposed a long-existing bug in the software on the receivers themselves. Either way, TiVo will be involved in creating the fix; either through telling DirecTV what they've done wrong in the datastream, or in providing fixes to DirecTV for the receivers currently in use.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #387
markz
Hilarity Ensues

So, just to be clear...

Am I supposed to reboot AND THEN force a call?

Or force a call AND THEN reboot?

This is happening on my R10, not my GXCEB0T, both of which are stock.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #388
ILoveCats&Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew
Making a phone call, assuming your unit isn't hacked, and then rebooting will clear your logs and re-index your unit.

That combination seems to, at least temporarily, solve the problem for most customers.
Apparently I am missing something here. If something isn’t fixing the problem permanently, than it isn’t fixing it (in my opinion). By telling people that it is fixing it, this is perhaps giving people false hope that their season passes will be recorded. This may or may not be true since the problem seems to be coming back for a lot of you.

My unit seems to be picking up shows ok since Sunday (I did not reboot or force a call or anything like that). Sunday morning my list was messed up, so as I stated in an earlier post, I went through the guide manually to find my season passes and added a lot of them back. If they were already in my to do list like they were supposed to be then I changed them to a single check, thus disconnecting them from the season pass feature. Obviously, if you have a ton of passes, this probably won’t work for you.

Over the last couple of days, my TiVo has once again started picking up other miscellaneous season passes that I have, and as they do, I just change them over to a manual so that they won’t disappear from my list.

Good luck everyone.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #389
lew

Some posters think part of the problem is caused by growing logs. Hacked units can try other solutions. Un-hacked units can either force the phone call and reboot as necessary or just do it every day or two.

We're playing with words. It doesn't fix the problem but, at least for many of us, allows us to use our tivo until DTV and/or tivo come up with a real fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveCats&Tivo
Apparently I am missing something here. If something isn’t fixing the problem permanently, than it isn’t fixing it (in my opinion). By telling people that it is fixing it, this is perhaps giving people false hope that their season passes will be recorded. This may or may not be true since the problem seems to be coming back for a lot of you.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #390
baseballmom

I am trying to make sense as well as everyone else and its hard when direct tv reps are all on a different page . Are we sure that direct tv is still be supported by tivo. My units are all in one , manufactured by different companies and the only common denominator is the fact that my service is with direct and the tivo features are affected. I was told if I want the problem corrected I would need to get the new dvr because the updates for tivo were not coming anymore. Again, I understand everyone has been told something different but how do we know for sure that this is not the case? Isn't it odd that some are being credited,some are not, some are trying to be "upgraded" to the dvr and some are not, some are told there receivers are bad, cables loose. ........ And yet I have been told all of these things and more and no exact explanation. I have believed everything I have been told and continuously let down . I hope they, tivo and supervisors at direct, have been misinformed and then misinformed me and so on, about the software updates from tivo that we need for our units to work properly and the fact that they(direct) say we wont be receiving them .