TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 AM   #331
disco
Father of Sam.

Yep, my two zip'd D'TiVo's are experiencing this now, too....missed the news at 10pm last night (it NEVER missed it before...) and now a Season Pass for Sopranos on A&E shows "no upcoming episodes", even though it IS upcoming, this Wednesday @ 8pm CT....damn frustrating....
Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 AM   #332
mitchb2

Here we #$%@$ go AGAIN!
No "Today Show." Apparently someone in my household modified the Season Pass...NOT!

Last edited by mitchb2 : 01-08-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #333
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartori
Well I tried what you said to do, force daily call and wait 2-3 hours. Well guess what, didn't change a thing. So what made you so sure of yourself that this will fix it?? Do you work for Directv?
I most certainly do not work for DirecTV!!

It's simply that, for me, rebooting and waiting, or forcing a call and waiting has always fixed things up (several times now). But then, the problem returns a couple of days later. (This is why I know it's worked "several" times! )

I do not find this acceptable and am thoroughly annoyed with DirecTV!!!

I posted a personal observation about the bug and get accused of being a shill.

I understand this is frustrating. I'm very frustrated myself. But, taking your frustration about this bug out on other forum members who are simply reporting observations so that we can help get to the bottom of the problem is childish and counter productive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #334
mahyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man

It's simply that, for me, rebooting and waiting, or forcing a call and waiting has always fixed things up (several times now). But then, the problem returns a couple of days later. (This is why I know it's worked "several" times! )

I understand this is frustrating. I'm very frustrated myself. But, taking your frustration about this bug out on other forum members who are simply reporting observations so that we can help get to the bottom of the problem is childish and counter productive.
I have been forcing a call every night or every other night and it seems to be working like you said it would.......so thanks...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #335
Meinrad
dumdiddydum

It seems that when I notice the season passes disappearing I do a restart and within 2 hours everything is back again. What makes it double annoying though is that I usually lose my season passes around 11 am. So my wife misses all her afternoon and early evening shows. But once I get home and restart I get everything before the nighttime shows.

At least it's only hitting one of my two machines for now. The HDVR2 is fine while the GXBOTD is having all the trouble.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #336
daperlman
check the rhime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man

that's it, we are disabling your use of bold face fonts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #337
Steganos

I am wondering if it is guide data for specific channels that may be causing the problem. I removed all channels that I do not regularly watch from the "Channels I receive" list and forced a re-index of the database by making a daily phone call. Everything has been working great since last Friday. I know that others have had it work for a few days before going bad again, but it might be worth trying.

If somebody that has telnet access to their tivo would be willing to try this and then watch /var/log/tivolog and see if it is still getting errors, or getting errors as fast, that might help to confirm my theory. It looks like people are getting several errors per second right now. Do you only get these errors while the index process is running, or do you get them the whole time the tivo is running? I don't have telnet access, and i don't want to pull the drive to look at it if there is somebody who is willing to look at their log with telnet. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #338
disco
Father of Sam.

The same two lines get posted to the /var/log/tvlog:
Quote:
Jan 8 20:47:52 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[226]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 8 20:47:52 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[226]: DoEvaluate() returned err = errDbNotFound, setting result to zero
The time changes, but it posts this to the tvlog every one-hundredth of a second!!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #339
smak
TV MA SLV

I had a really weird thing happen this weekend.

i have 2 season passes, one with a keyword of "poker", and one for "vegas"

I also have the same 2 on my standalone Tivo, that controls a directv receiver

On my directv tivo, the poker one came back with 105 entries, and vegas 32, and on the standalone, poker was 105 and vegas 130.

Now the first time i noticed this guide data problem, is when my wishlists were screwed up, but it's very weird that one wishlist which spans a lot of channels comes in ok, and the other is missing a lot.

And some of those channels are the same, like ESPN or Fox Sports West.

I rebooted, and i think it's temporarily fixed, but it's strange how only certain data is missing, and what is missing changes.

-smak-
Old 01-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #340
Gblech

FYI...came up with a work around not to miss any shows until problem gets resolved. Its a little time consuming but you wont miss any shows.

1. Make sure To-do list is correct and make sure View Recording history there are no "Someone modified the season pass" errors.

2. Select a show in the to-do list with the double check marks and then when the show comes up under Record as planned select options and then just select record episode with these options.

3. Return to To-do list.

You will now see only one checkmark. This indicated a manual recording and wont get deleted by a season pass rule.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #341
DougF

This happened on my SAT-T60 again today. Forced a daily call and rebooted earlier and all seems to be good for now.

My DVR40s are still unaffected. They are not making Daily Calls, though.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #342
disco
Father of Sam.

Hmm.....the theory on "the other forum" is that the logs in /var (particularly tvlog) are getting so big that TiVo needs to reboot to wipe them and reboot. The same lines of error seem to be posted every hundredth of a second or so (see post #338 on this thread). If you have access to telnet into your TiVo (or have Hackman installed on TiVoWeb), try doing this (as posted by dave7101 on "the other forum"):
Quote:
Try this for a temp* workaround that is far better than wipelog etc etc

Edit /etc/syslog.conf and make the change below, reboot. Bob's your uncle.

local0.info;local0.!err -/var/log/tvlog

To:
#local0.info;local0.!err -/var/log/tvlog

*not really 'temp' per se, as it is a persistant fix. But i expect that DTV/TIvo will have an official fix at some point, and this will do till then.
It basically turns off logging to the tvlog file (dangerous if trying to debug), but may stop reboots and odd guide data problems.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #343
harpegw
Occasional Poster

From reading the other forum, my impression is that /var fills to 100% with the errors, sometimes causing spontaneous reboots, but if the tivo tries to index while /var is full, somehow it is corrupting our index of channels/things to record, at least this is my understanding. One would think that Directv would test changes in the satellite stream against every type of receiver they have, they've got tons of different stuff in the field, and something like this can screw up a good chunk of them.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #344
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Here's the response I received from DirecTV after emailing them my concerns.

Quote:
Thanks for writing and for being one of our valuable and loyal customer. I'm sorry to hear about the technical problem you're having with your Tivo season passes and wish list. Since it's difficult to troubleshoot technical issues by email, please call our technical support center and discuss the problem with one of our technical representatives. To reach them, just call 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for technical assistance.

Thanks again for writing and I hope we're able to fix the problem quickly.
Instead of calling, I replied that they could just read this thread and learn what the problems are.

I may still call just to complain again.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #345
gwuinsf
Clueless Member

This just happened to me last night for Desperate Housewives, and I caught it early enough that I could go back and have it record the episode.

I went to the Season Pass and looked at Upcoming Episodes, and it didn't show that evenings episode in the list anymore. But the episode was most definitely on. It did list episodes later down the road, however.

For some reason, guide information for certain airings are getting forgotten.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #346
Adv1sor

I called DTV. They said it was a known problem with TIVOs and that a software patch was coming, but they didn't know when.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #347
disco
Father of Sam.

CSR's are notoriously the last to know what's going on.

If nothing was wrong before, and it's affecting hacked TiVo's who's software doesn't get updated, then it's not the software that's buggy, it's something that changed from DirecTV (i.e., the guide data). I would hope that they look at that before looking at pushing a software update that may be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #348
xtivoox

Arrow this old house in east boston

set-up a season pass for this old house on wycc-20 (chicago pbs) FROM THE GUIDE. then view upcoming showings from the season pass manager > all 17 episodes listed were on diy (230), none for wycc-20.

what is happening in east boston, guess i will never know.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #349
deaklet
Gemütlichkeit

CRAP. This has just happened to me, and I thought the SPs were corrupted, so I deleted the SPs to re-enter them. I missed 2 NBC shows last week, and a CBS this week.

I restarted the box and forced a daily call, and now I can't even get the shows (Office, Earl, Scrubs, etc) to even show up in the title listings to re-enter the SP.

THIS IS NOT MAKING ME HAPPY.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #350
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Try going to the guide and select the show from there to record.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #351
amcanzo

I just cleared my tvlog:
as seen here:

Why does it now say it is JAN 9!!! I have future errors?????

Log cleared on Mon Jan 08, 2007 by TivoWebPlus
Jan 9 01:20:24 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[234]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 9 01:20:24 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[234]: DoEvaluate() returned err = errDbNotFound, setting result to zero
Jan 9 01:20:27 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[234]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 9 01:20:27 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[234]: DoEvaluate() returned err = errDbNotFound, setting result to zero
Jan 9 01:20:28 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[234]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 9 01:20:28 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[234]: DoEvaluate() returned err = errDbNotFound, setting result to zero
Jan 9 01:20:28 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[234]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Old 01-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #352
disco
Father of Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcanzo
Why does it now say it is JAN 9!!! I have future errors?????
Times/dates posted are GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). It's tomorrow already in England.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #353
amcanzo

Oh...

But...........................

Then why is the log clear date correct????
Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #354
JimSpence
Just hangin'

TiVoWeb knows what your timezone is maybe?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #355
ILoveCats&Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblech
FYI...came up with a work around not to miss any shows until problem gets resolved. Its a little time consuming but you wont miss any shows.

1. Make sure To-do list is correct and make sure View Recording history there are no "Someone modified the season pass" errors.

2. Select a show in the to-do list with the double check marks and then when the show comes up under Record as planned select options and then just select record episode with these options.

3. Return to To-do list.

You will now see only one checkmark. This indicated a manual recording and wont get deleted by a season pass rule.
I did this too. I went into record by channel. Since most of the shows I tivo are on less than 10 channels and fall between 8-11 every night, this didn't take too long. I added back the new episodes that were missing, and the ones that the season passes were still picking up, I changed to a single check. My daughter tivos a lot of shows on nick and disney though, I didnt mess with that. Last night I peeked in my list and a slew of her shows were back in there, so I single checked those too just in case.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #356
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaklet
CRAP. This has just happened to me, and I thought the SPs were corrupted, so I deleted the SPs to re-enter them. I missed 2 NBC shows last week, and a CBS this week.

I restarted the box and forced a daily call, and now I can't even get the shows (Office, Earl, Scrubs, etc) to even show up in the title listings to re-enter the SP.

THIS IS NOT MAKING ME HAPPY.
if you give DTV a call they'll give you this amazing new dvr that blows tivo out of the water for free.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #357
deaklet
Gemütlichkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
if you give DTV a call they'll give you this amazing new dvr that blows tivo out of the water for free.
You are not funny, mister.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #358
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Add me to the list of people this is happening to. A couple of times in the last week or so my TiVo just rebooted while I was watching it. And then tonight it recorded HIMYM as it should have and then did NOT record The Class. I started checking the To Do list and have all kinds of shows that are not going to record because "someone in your household...blah blah blah".

So, this has been going on since before Christmas and they still haven't fixed it?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #359
deaklet
Gemütlichkeit

Oh, yes, we also had a random reboot this week. What the heck is going on!?!?!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #360
kendyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaklet
You are not funny, mister.
Nor is he helpful at all. He should enjoy his new unit while we all wait for the right thing to happen.

Add me to the long list, I have a SAT-T60 and and only some of my Season Passes are working. Daily show and Rome are OK, however the rest are blank. Local news I can Season Pass 5pm but no other timeslot.

Wishlists are blank, however I rebooted and forced a call and everything came back for about a day. Now things are messed up again.

Reboot+Force call are the work-around. Switching to a new unit is not a work-around given my Lifetime TIVO subscription + Upgraded Dual-Sat T-60.

Ken