TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #301
Cudahy

So some people are losing Season Passes but not Wishlists while others are losing Wishlists but not Season Passes. I wonder if there's a virus in the Tivo system.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #302
hondagrl

I am having the same problems as the rest. My season pass keeps missing shows due to ... blah blah blah.

My question is ... I dont know much about wishlists, however I am going to go and try it out. So, if I make a wishlist for "Melrose Place" it will record all shows .. correct. Granted this only comes on soap channel at 4pm daily there isn't much searching it will have to do. But is this better than my season pass .. which keeps getting messed up???

Last edited by hondagrl : 01-06-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #303
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudahy
So some people are losing Season Passes but not Wishlists while others are losing Wishlists but not Season Passes. I wonder if there's a virus in the Tivo system.
Did you see my earlier post w/questions for you? Define "losing" season passes and/or wishlists.

If the the season passes are disappearing from season pass manager or previous wishlists are disappearing from Search using a Wishlist (Tivo + 3), then you have a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ISSUE than what I and many others on this thread are experiencing.

My DirecTivo seems back to normal again. Indexing occurred at 1/6 8:43 am for me and my keyword==Star Trek wish list is correctly returning 89 hits instead of 0.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #304
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondagrl
I am having the same problems as the rest. My season pass keeps missing shows due to ... blah blah blah.

My question is ... I dont know much about wishlists, however I am going to go and try it out. So, if I make a wishlist for "Melrose Place" it will record all shows .. correct. Granted this only comes on soap channel at 4pm daily there isn't much searching it will have to do. But is this better than my season pass .. which keeps getting messed up???
It's unclear if the latter will help. As I stated in my earlier post, my keyword==Star Trek wishlist (it is NOT set to be an auto-record wish list) was erroneously returning 0 hits instead of the usual 80 or 90 when my unit got into this bad state. If I were to make it an ARWL, it seems logical that nothing would get recorded until the # of matches/hits became correct, at an indeterminate time.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #305
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
I was just gonna say that if you complained, they'd probably give you Showtime free for 6 months or something. No need to credit the DVR fee itself.
I actually told him that I was reading a tivo forum where someon had received Showtime and Starz for three months free and he said because he couldn't see their issue/complaint, he couldn't offer me that.

He thought reimbursing me for 6 months of the service I was complaining about was more than fair. Since I actually have a lifetime subscription (and don't pay the $5.99 monthly charge), I figured I should take $30 and run.

I really wasn't upset over missing any episodes until all my Thursday evening shows didn't record. Before that, my only problem was trying to find things in the "Pick Programs to Record - Search by Title" area. Seems that the data was just not there.

Everything seems resolved now, but I'll keep checking.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #306
treq

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardad
I haven't posted in a while but came here because of the same problems everyone else seems to have with season pass and deleted recordings by "someone in your household." I still get audio drops for a few seconds at a time and sometimes the HDMI acts strange.
The TV comes on and all I get is colored horizontal lines. I go through the selected input to the TV and when returning to HDMI 1 input it is all normal. I am suspicious of my RCA DLP TV. Has anyone else had this issue on other Brands? It doesn't seem to happen on the other HDMI Toshiba TV sets but they have only one HDMI input and the RCA has two HDMI inputs.

I had the same problem with my sony tv. Only on the RGB inputs. I have both hooked up to the tv. I think it only effects the current input. Just like yours, changing inputs fixes the problem. It only happened 2 or 3 times.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #307
beardad

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Smith
Don't know if it will help, but you might read this
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333631
Thanks, I read the link. I will follow the tips nest time it acts up. For Now it is working well.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #308
beardad

Quote:
Originally Posted by treq
I had the same problem with my sony tv. Only on the RGB inputs. I have both hooked up to the tv. I think it only effects the current input. Just like yours, changing inputs fixes the problem. It only happened 2 or 3 times.
Well I guess I can't throw all my rocks at RCA.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #309
newsposter
Poster of News

speaking of indexing..why would it be 2 days behind?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
Old 01-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #310
Sartori

Hello

First off all you guys that were discussing inputs need to start a different thread.

Once again today my season pass for Cold case messed up and deleted the upcoming episode tonight so had to re enter that one too.

This is starting to get old.......
Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #311
builtfa

OMG...I thought it was just me!

I'm ashamed to say I have not been to this forum in over two years (since I first got my TIVO I've had pretty good luck with it (except for an unfortunate, and very early, failure on my original Toshiba TIVO unit (since replaced with an R10)), and decided to surf on in after having the same problems that (I found) are described by all of you good people in this thread.

I will read through the thread to see what's up, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU, because even though I do not know if there is a resolution (nothing seems to work on my end, so far), it is nice to know I am not the only one having this problem.

I, too, have been noticing my Season Pass programs NOT recording, and NOT showing in the program directory. I have been recording The People's Court religiously since the day I got the unit (R10), and now it only records intermittently. For example, the program is on twice a day, Monday through Friday, and right now, the Season Pass says the program does not exist until 1/11!

I tried a reset. Didn't work. New service data downloads do not work. Nothing works.

I'm on hold right now for Directv Tech Support, and I'm sure they will give the same song-and-dance that they are aware of the problem and are awaiting a fix.

Last edited by builtfa : 01-07-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #312
ESPalmer

Question What I did seems to have worked

I too had this problem but seemed to have solved it. Steps I took:

1. Reboot - No joy
2. Force Daily Call - again no joy
3. Rebooted again.
4. Checked recording history, noticed the modified issue so I changed a few back and bam all my SP's seemed to respond.

I can not say for sure what solved the issue as I noticed an indexing was taking place while I was playing with step 4, so it could have been the prior steps.

My point is that it is a solvable issue, seemingly from the users end. Hope it helps.

This is on my Phillips unit, my SAT60's seemed not to have been affected.

Later,
Scott
1- Directv-Tivo HDR THR-22

Last edited by ESPalmer : 01-07-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Mistype
Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #313
Sartori

Just wait a day or two and it will be messed up again....
Old 01-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #314
tedder
Irregular

Can people post case numbers, their email to DirecTV, etc?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #315
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPalmer
I too had this problem but seemed to have solved it. Steps I took:

1. Reboot - No joy
2. Force Daily Call - again no joy
3. Rebooted again.
4. Checked recording history, noticed the modified issue so I changed a few back and bam all my SP's seemed to respond.

I can not say for sure what solved the issue as I noticed an indexing was taking place while I was playing with step 4, so it could have been the prior steps.

My point is that it is a solvable issue, seemingly from the users end. Hope it helps.

This is on my Phillips unit, my SAT60's seemed not to have been affected.

Later,
Scott
Reboot - Then wait 2 - 3 hours.

or....

Force daily call - Then wait 2 - 3 hours.

Either of the above will always fix it. Either of the above actions will force the unit to do a complete re-indexing, which will get rid of the problem, but the indexing takes a while to start and then to finish. Hence, the 2 - 3 hours before the "fix" is seen.

However, after you do the reboot of force daily call, be prepared to do it again 2 - 3 days later. The problem will be back.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #316
Cudahy

Rebooting didn't bring back my wishlists.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #317
Sartori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
Reboot - Then wait 2 - 3 hours.

or....

Force daily call - Then wait 2 - 3 hours.

Either of the above will always fix it. Either of the above actions will force the unit to do a complete re-indexing, which will get rid of the problem, but the indexing takes a while to start and then to finish. Hence, the 2 - 3 hours before the "fix" is seen.

However, after you do the reboot of force daily call, be prepared to do it again 2 - 3 days later. The problem will be back.
Well I tried what you said to do, force daily call and wait 2-3 hours. Well guess what, didn't change a thing. So what made you so sure of yourself that this will fix it?? Do you work for Directv?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #318
tward_biteme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito the TiVo
That's a good question. I have two zippered tivos and knew nothing of this problem until last night when "Earl" simply didn't record. Dual tuner and nothing recording on either one of them. I checked the history and it quoted the 28 day rule for a brand new episode with a brand new 2007 airdate.

Related? Who knows.
Now it is happening on my zippered one... My R-10 Seems to be ok at the moment although last week it had the problem...
Old 01-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #319
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartori
Well I tried what you said to do, force daily call and wait 2-3 hours. Well guess what, didn't change a thing. So what made you so sure of yourself that this will fix it?? Do you work for Directv?
The group experience so far in this thread (and several others) has been that a reboot/re-index or phone-call/re-index fixes the problem where your wishlist is failing to return hits and your To Do list is missing shows and reporting no upcoming episodes, even though you can see them in the guide. After the re-index, the To Do list repopulates.

You may have an entirely different problem than the rest of us, but since you didn't post what "didn't change a thing" means, it's hard for us to help you diagnose your problem.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #320
Sartori

To Do list is missing shows and reporting no upcoming episodes, even though you can see them in the guide.

Thats what it didn't fix. It was showing upcoming episodes just fine on Friday in the to do list and this morning about half of them we're missing.

So I did exactly what he suggested forced a phone call and waited 3 hours. The to do list did not repopulate with the episodes that it was missing.....

Its the same problem everyone is reporting on here, so I thought it was pretty obvious when I said it didn't change anything.....
Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #321
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
To Do list is missing shows and reporting no upcoming episodes, even though you can see them in the guide.

Thats what it didn't fix. It was showing upcoming episodes just fine on Friday in the to do list and this morning about half of them we're missing.

So I did exactly what he suggested forced a phone call and waited 3 hours. The to do list did not repopulate with the episodes that it was missing.....

Its the same problem everyone is reporting on here, so I thought it was pretty obvious when I said it didn't change anything.....
Sartori - try the reboot. I've never tried the phone method, so I won't say that's not going to work. Many other people HAVE tried it, and it worked for them.

All I can say is what's worked for me: All three of my DirecTiVos have been hit by this bug, and I've simply restarted each one to get the lists back, each time within 2 hours after the restart. (The first time I did this, the list was back within an hour, but the last time I did this it took an hour an a half. Your times may vary.)

You can tell the time of the last index by scrolling to near the bottom of the System Info page.

The one drawback from the restart is you lose use of your DVR for about 5 minutes, but I find it's actually faster than a phone call, and on top of that, I save 10˘ by not having to place a call each time!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #322
Sartori

Okay I'll try the reboot before I go to bed tonight and see what it looks like in the morning....

Do you do the reboot/restart from within the menu or do you power it down and back up again?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #323
harpegw
Occasional Poster

I don't post often, but both of my zippered directivos are exhibiting the problems talked about in this thread. /var/log/tvlog is showing the error messages, and it is filling up /var to 100%. You can actually watch the log file grow... this is pretty discouraging, it seems like they broke compatibility with directivos, and we're left hanging out in the wind. I don't know how this will end up, but I don't look forward to having to pull my drives from my tivos, restore the original software to get an update, rezipper, or whatever is going to be required because of this.

By the way, rebooting seems to clean up the tvlog file, it starts out at about 50k after a reboot, then grows until it fills up /var on my two directivos.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #324
ForrestB

The workaround is simple on zippered Tivo's because they're running TivoWeb Plus. Simply log into the Tivo with your favorite web browser, click 'logs' and on the tvlog line, click 'clear'. I've been doing this on a daily basis and haven't seen a reboot.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #325
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpegw
...I don't look forward to having to pull my drives from my tivos, restore the original software to get an update, rezipper, or whatever is going to be required because of this.
Until we see the fix we don't know what will be involved. It is possible that only one program is changed, thus we may be able to simply replace a single file (on our enhanced boxes). How's that for optimism?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #326
BenArk

I have two zippered series 2 units.

One of them started to display the problems reported on this thread tonight. My wife noticed that none of the wishlist programs were being recorded, the wishlist "show upcoming episodes" were blank, and doing a title search for a show that is in the guide returned nothing.

The other unit seemed to be fine. This one was rebooted a few days ago.

Going from what others said, I checked and the tvlog on the 1st unit was huge (over 100MB) and had filled the /var partition. I ran df /h to show the free space. I removed the tvlog (rm /var/hack/tvlog) and rebooted (sync;reboot).

The 2nd unit's tvlog is also huge but hasn't yet filled the partition. I just deleted it to be safe.

It looks like filling up the /var partition is ultimately what's causing the WL and/or SP recordings to disappear and the searches to return nothing. Perhaps the TiVo uses the /var partition while rebuilding the index and that's failing? In any event, this is a rather intolerable situation.

I've modified my cron schedule to wipe the logs nightly rather than just on Sunday:
  1. rw
  2. root
  3. find the line that has the call to /busybox/wipelogs
  4. change the last number to * (in my case 18 9 * * 1 was changed to 18 9 * * *)

Update:
I've also forced a re-index (google: tivo mojo reindex). You should use the "manual" method (looks like the other way doesn't really work). It forces the unit to do garbage collection and rebuild indexes. It took forever but eventually finished and my To Do list was once again accurate.

Last edited by BenArk : 01-08-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Incorrect information
Old 01-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #327
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Okay I'll try the reboot before I go to bed tonight and see what it looks like in the morning....

Do you do the reboot/restart from within the menu or do you power it down and back up again?

Thanks
I always go through the menus:

DirecTV Central > Messages & Settings > Restart or Reset System > Restart the Recorder > [Enter]
Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #328
mstbone67a

ok got 3 r10's

2 of them done with s*patch and stuff
1 done similarly but more recently.

noticed lost sp for multiple shows tonight.. Desperate housewives. and others.

Looking and yep my /var is full.
bedroomtivo-TiVo# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda7 248M 104M 131M 44% /
/dev/hda9 124M 122M 0 100% /var

Noticed that my other 2 r10's the service connection status last update was from a long time ago... 1-may 1- october
LivingroomR10-bash# df -h
/dev/hda7 248M 100M 135M 43% /
/dev/hda9 124M 31M 86M 27% /var

BasementR10-bash# df -h
/dev/hda7 248M 100M 135M 42% /
/dev/hda9 124M 36M 81M 31% /var

the broken r10 bedroom (missing sp) has a service connection of today.

basement-uptime 49days
livingroom-90 days
bedroom-3days (one with missing sp)

guess I need to review my cron's to see which machines are rebooting. obviously it should update the uptime if it reboots right.

I know that my fakecall wasnt setup to work on my basement machine. as once before after 90days it stopped working.. but that was also when bedroom r10 stopped working.. (this was pre hack on the bedroom r10)

This isnt only happening to modified Dtv tivo's and standalones is it.

Going to have the bedroom r10 clear out the logs nightly until something is resolved on this..
DUB-E100 Network adapters for all,I am using Dlink DUB-
Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #329
mstbone67a

wife went to the living room and basement r10's and setup sp for the shows missing from bedroom. They all are showing up.

So something has to be common.

What info would someone need to know how these were hacked. Sure there is someone thats a guru on this.

lol noticed i dont even have crons on the basement and livingroom r10's
"/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root" new file
I don't even have /var/spool/ directory.

Here is my bedroom cron

PHP Code:
bedroomtivo-TiVo# cat /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
# Sample below creates a test file and updates it with current time and date
# every 5 minutes -- use this for troubleshooting.
# m h dom mon dow       command
*/* * * *     date >> /var/log/cron.test.out

# stop Tivowebplus every night at 3:14am cst
14 9 * * * wget -"http://127.0.0.1/quit"; echo "`date` TWP stopped" >> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Start Tivowebplus every night at 3:15am cst
# TWPrun.sh created on the fly by enhancement script
15 9 * * * /enhancements/TWPrun.sh; echo "`date` TWP started">> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Wipe the logs every Sunday night at 3:18am cst
18 9 * * /busybox/wipelogs; echo "`date` logs wiped" >> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Run fakecall every night at 10:20pm cst
20 4 * * * tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl

# Delete the crond log files every 3 months
22 9 1 */rm /var/log/cronlog-main; echo "`date` cron logs wiped">> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Delete cron.test.out every night at 3:24am cst
22 9 * * * rm /var/log/cron.test.out; echo "`date` cron.test.out deleted" >> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Weekly reboots.  Cleans things out for better performance if you have several hacks running
# Also restarts logs, and allows fakecall to reset the last successful call indicator,
# so your Tivo won't call home (fakecall doesn't update mfs entries without a reboot).
# This allows you to keep your phone line connected for callerID and PPV ordering.  
# Run safereboot, so reboot only happens when nothing is recording.
25 9 * * 1,echo "`date` SCHEDULED REBOOT"tivosh /enhancements/safereboot.tcl  >> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Display 0n-screen warning messages before scheduled reboots

# Tarball the logs before deleting them, every Sunday night at 3:16am cst
16 9 * * 1 rwtar -czvf /LOG_ARCHIVE.$(date +%m%d_%H:%M).tgz /var/log/* >> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Delete the LOG_ARCHIVE files every month
18 9 1 * * rm /LOG_ARCHIVE*; echo "`date` LOG_ARCHIVE deleted"; ro >> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Make a backup of season passes and wishlists every Sunday night at 3:30am CST
31 9 * * 1 cd /tivowebplus; sh backup_run.sh; echo `date` season pass backup made >> /var/log/cronlog-main

# Delete season pass backups every month to save on space
29 9 1 * * rw; rm -r /seasonpass_backups; ro

# End of crontab 

DUB-E100 Network adapters for all,I am using Dlink DUB-

Last edited by mstbone67a : 01-08-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #330
tward_biteme1

What is even worse, one Season Pass had all the episodes last night. This morning that one had no episodes and another one had its episodes back... Seemed to happen after it indexed last night at 11:00 pm.