Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #271
daperlman
check the rhime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito the TiVo
That's a good question. I have two zippered tivos and knew nothing of this problem until last night when "Earl" simply didn't record. Dual tuner and nothing recording on either one of them. I checked the history and it quoted the 28 day rule for a brand new episode with a brand new 2007 airdate.

Related? Who knows.
The Earl last night was a repeat I think
"Our Cops is On"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #272
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

For the second time in two weeks my HDVR2 lost half the programs in its To Do list. I forgot to look at the Sys Info page to see when it last indexed, but restarted it at 1:50 PM, and after it came back up a few minutes later, SysInfo shwed last indexing completed only three minutes before I restarted it!

I just checked my To Do list and it's fully populated again, and the SysInfo page shows Indexing completed at 2:16 PM. That took 1 hour and 26 minutes after the restart.

So the "automated" daily indexing is occasionally not working, even though it appears to be current, and the indexing after restart is doing the trick.

I highly recommend that anyone having problems try the restart method, and forget about messing with your season passes.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #273
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperlman
The Earl last night was a repeat I think
"Our Cops is On"
No. Last night's "My Name is Earl" was definitely new.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #274
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2k
For the second time in two weeks my HDVR2 lost half the programs in its To Do list. I forgot to look at the Sys Info page to see when it last indexed, but restarted it at 1:50 PM, and after it came back up a few minutes later, SysInfo shwed last indexing completed only three minutes before I restarted it!

I just checked my To Do list and it's fully populated again, and the SysInfo page shows Indexing completed at 2:16 PM. That took 1 hour and 26 minutes after the restart.

So the "automated" daily indexing is occasionally not working, even though it appears to be current, and the indexing after restart is doing the trick.

I highly recommend that anyone having problems try the restart method, and forget about messing with your season passes.
Forced phone calls seem to trigger reindexing for me. The reindex always clears things up. Until the next bad day. :-(
Old 01-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #275
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had this problem on 1 of my 3 HR10-250's last night. So I hunted around and found that the /var/log/tvlog file is growing huge with program-guide-related errors, too. So for those who have access to their drive, they might want to consider changing the /etc/syslog.conf file to comment out the line that sends the logging messages to tvlog. One of my logs was up to 50MB already; that could easily fill the /var partition and necessitate a reboot (which might be why some are reporting spurious reboots).

Checking the unit that had problems last night and now the To Do list is all back to normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #276
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
I had this problem on 1 of my 3 HR10-250's last night. So I hunted around and found that the /var/log/tvlog file is growing huge with program-guide-related errors, too. So for those who have access to their drive, they might want to consider changing the /etc/syslog.conf file to comment out the line that sends the logging messages to tvlog. One of my logs was up to 50MB already; that could easily fill the /var partition and necessitate a reboot (which might be why some are reporting spurious reboots).

Checking the unit that had problems last night and now the To Do list is all back to normal.
What do the guide errors in the log report? There has been speculation that DirecTV tweaked the guide data in mid-December to help out the HR20 (and R15) be more reliable for auto-recording, and the speculation is that this ended up hosing lots of TiVo DVRs. Can you point to anything in the logs that would support these theories?

I'm also wondering if it would help to delete wish lists that you don't need to "help" TiVo process all this bad guide data, by giving it less to look for?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #277
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
What do the guide errors in the log report? There has been speculation that DirecTV tweaked the guide data in mid-December to help out the HR20 (and R15) be more reliable for auto-recording, and the speculation is that this ended up hosing lots of TiVo DVRs. Can you point to anything in the logs that would support these theories?

I'm also wondering if it would help to delete wish lists that you don't need to "help" TiVo process all this bad guide data, by giving it less to look for?
It's hard to say what it might actually mean... not a lot of info there for someone who doesn't know what the code is supposed to be doing.

Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6512]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6512]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6512]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6512]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6516]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6516]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6516]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6516]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6517]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6517]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6517]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:50 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6517]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero
Jan 5 07:02:51 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6518]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:51 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6518]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero
Jan 5 07:02:51 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[6518]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan 5 07:02:51 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[6518]: DoEvaluate() returned err = 0x30001, setting result to zero

Old 01-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #278
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
one of my tivos doesn't have a single wish list on it and I still get reboots every other day or so.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #279
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
It's hard to say what it might actually mean... not a lot of info there for someone who doesn't know what the code is supposed to be doing.

[logs snpped]
Wow. I could see how that would fill the logs up quickly ... You're right, too, nothing in their that is easily decipherable. Thanks for posting it anyway.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #280
srs5694

FWIW, I just checked, and my /var/log/tivolog file is filled with errors similar to what dswallow reports, but not quite identical:

Code:
Jan  4 23:36:56 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[198]: DoEvaluate() returned err = errDbNotFound, setting result to zero
Jan  4 23:36:57 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[198]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
Jan  4 23:36:57 (none) ApgExprEvaluator[198]: DoEvaluate() returned err = errDbNotFound, setting result to zero
Jan  4 23:36:57 (none) ApgCamInterfaceBase[198]: FindServerObject: scanner found nothing at A00000000, err = 0x0
The difference that I've spotted is that rather than "err = 0x30001" mine is reporting "err = errDbNotFound," which is probably a difference of mine being able to look up the error code and substitute a name whereas dswallow's unit isn't doing this for some reason.

In any event, it certainly agrees with the idea of corrupt guide data. In both cases, they're reporting "nothing at A00000000," and my "errDbNotFound" error code suggests a database ("Db") error, although precisely what it means I don't know.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #281
srs5694

Oh, and my /var/log/tvlog file is huge, too -- about 50MB. I tried deleting it and then creating a new blank log, but I suspect the TiVo software is keeping the old file open, so that may not have much effect if it keeps growing.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #282
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs5694
Oh, and my /var/log/tvlog file is huge, too -- about 50MB. I tried deleting it and then creating a new blank log, but I suspect the TiVo software is keeping the old file open, so that may not have much effect if it keeps growing.
If you manually delete it, you need to reboot the unit. The file still exists because it was open when you deleted it and until syslogd closes it, it'll just be around on your hard disk and no longer visible with ls.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #283
div/0!

I'll add my voice to the chorus of affected users - 2-year-old R10 here, didn't realize it until The Office failed to record. I forced a daily call and restarted, but it looks like I'm going to have to monitor this thing until further notice.

Here's a question: has anyone requested a refund of their DVR fee until this is resolved? The extra effort that people with any more than a handful of Season Passes will need to put in is ridiculous, and the equipment is clearly not functioning as advertised because of something related to the DTV guide data and/or the TiVo software. Thoughts?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #284
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by div/0!
Here's a question: has anyone requested a refund of their DVR fee until this is resolved? The extra effort that people with any more than a handful of Season Passes will need to put in is ridiculous, and the equipment is clearly not functioning as advertised because of something related to the DTV guide data and/or the TiVo software. Thoughts?
I have never thought of that, but it's a good way of getting a point across that the customers shouldn't be paying for a service that's not working. It wouldn't benefit the TC Premiere customers, but it's worth trying. (Can their billing systems actually waive the DVR fee? If not, I would guess DirecTV would just give a $5 credit with a label such as "customer discount". That is, if you get them to give you the credit in the first place!)
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #285
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
After complaining, I received $5 off for the next 6 months.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #286
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH
After complaining, I received $5 off for the next 6 months.
I was just gonna say that if you complained, they'd probably give you Showtime free for 6 months or something. No need to credit the DVR fee itself.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #287
Cudahy

There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern in the problems listed..
When my wishlists dissapear(as they did again yesterday)no season passes are removed. The ToDo list just loses the programs that were Wishlists that are not manually recorded.
Is it possible that people who say they are losing "season passes" are just losing programs that are actually Wishlists? I've never understood why they have two different processes that do the same thing.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #288
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudahy
Is it possible that people who say they are losing "season passes" are just losing programs that are actually Wishlists? I've never understood why they have two different processes that do the same thing.
On the HR10-250 that experienced this last night I have only season passes and no wishlists; all but 3 items disappeared from the ToDo list; when it resolved itself, there were about 15 items, including items inbetween the 3 that had remained (i.e., it wasn't just the "next 3" or "last 3" that remained).

Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #289
MacQ2

Why SP and WL

Quote:
I've never understood why they have two different processes that do the same thing.
A SP is easy to setup with just a couple clicks from the guide. To set that up as a Wish List means entering each letter in the WL Title. Further, a Season Pass is restricted to recording on just the channel it's setup for. A WL searches across all received channels. Of course, this can be good or bad depending on your situation - but it's nice to have both options.

And, like the previous poster, I mostly use SPs and I am losing items from the ToDo list and have had some programs not recorded. I am not confused by the different types of recording methods.

As I noted in an earlier post, the only seemingly sure way to avoid these current problems is to do the manual recording by date/channel/start and end time as told to me by DirecTV. This is not the same as manually selecting a pgm to record from the guide - it's the crude manual recording mode.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #290
TheDewAddict
No Mercy

I just noticed none of my stuff from Thursday recorded. I'll call DirecTV tomorrow and complain. If this keeps up, I won't be paying my $5 monthly fee, since the system isn't working like it should.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #291
LittleNoodle

I called to complain tonight. CSR apologized and said they are aware of the issue. It is a bug in the TiVo software and they are doing everything they can to fix it, blah blah blah... She took my email address and said they would contact me via email as soon as the problem is resolved or if they have further instructions. And to help me out she would credit me for 1 month of the DVR fee. Yipee...
Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #292
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Angry I'm having the symptoms again

FWW, I spoke too soon at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...66#post4705866. The problem has returned for some of my SPs which I luckily caught.

I realized that DirecTivo wasn't going to record the new ep of Desperate Housewives at 9 pm Sunday because of the stupid "someone modified the season pass" according to View Record History. When I do View upcoming episodes, the new ep doesn't even show up. If I go to Live TV and browse the guide from there for Sunday at 9 pm, I do see DH listed. When I checked it, it said it wasn't going to be recorded (despite no apparent conflict), my DH SP is up very high (near the top) in the SPM. I then forced it to record that ep.

My keyword == STAR TREK wishlist is again returning no eps! I believe that WL was working fine last night. I've forced a phone call now and will force a reboot very soon.

If anyone at TiVo wants/needs my service number, I'd be glad to PM them.

edit: My forced reboot >1 hour ago didn't help. TiVo last indexed on 1/5 at 5:52 pm Pacific so it's not surprising. Hope I don't miss any important shows while I'm at CES.

Last edited by cwerdna : 01-06-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:46 AM   #293
Televisionary

A very brief explanation of Season Passes vs. Wish Lists

Quote:
An excellent question! While it has already been addressed in this thread, I'd like to have a try...

(1) Season Passes are good for recording every episode of a given show on one channel. That's all they do. Want to watch "Desperate Housewives" every time it's on Channel 5? A Season Pass is perfect for that.

(2) Wishlists work on all channels simultaneously, and have many ways to match the shows you want. I can't list them all in a small space, but I would say they're limited by your imagination, and they are one of the features that make TiVos a superior brand. Here are some simple ones.

For instance, imagine what you'd like to watch. Shirley Temple movies? Easy: make an "Actor" wishlist and enter her name. Steven Speilberg-directed movies? Make a "Director" wishlist, and enter his name. Anything involving Lance Armstrong? Make a "Keyword" wishlist, and enter his name. Got a hobby you'd like to see shows about? Again, a "Keyword" wishlist will scan every show on every channel you get, and match every show that mentions your hobby anywhere in the show data.

Wishlists are so powerful, it takes a bit of practice and study to get them just right. For instance, quotation marks force a wishlist to match phrases. For instance, a Keyword wishlist LANCE ARMSTRONG will match a show about Neil Armstrong, with an actor named Lance Bass. To avoid that, use the quotes: "LANCE ARMSTRONG".

There's even more, but I hope you can see how flexible and useful Wishlists are compared to Season Passes.

-T
Old 01-06-2007, 06:16 AM   #294
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

your description is confusing

Quote:
When my wishlists dissapear(as they did again yesterday)no season passes are removed. The ToDo list just loses the programs that were Wishlists that are not manually recorded.
I'm not sure what you mean by "wishlists disappear". Are you saying that the wishlists themselves are gone from Search by Wishlist (Tivo + 3) or just that the search results are empty? For me, when the weirdness happens, the perfectly valid wishlists like keyword==Star Trek return 0 results instead of 80+ for no reasaon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "losing" season passes or season passes "removed" either. When the above happens, I notice a bunch of shows that should record say that they won't be recorded (via view recording history), because "someone modified the season pass". Also, view upcoming episodes returns bogus info (many episodes that ARE coming up and can be seen via live TV guide) are missing. The season passes are still present in season pass manager.

I use season passes for virtually all of my shows and I have over 60 SPs. Almost none (fewer than 10 are ARWL's (auto-record wish lists).

When you want a specific show and you care about it on specific channels, SPs are the better way to go. If you made ARWLs and it airs on several channels, the ARWL could have internal conflicts and you can't easily prioritize which one wins. You should in this case set SPs for each of the channels and set the priority appropriately in season pass manager.

Televisionary explained other uses of ARWLs pretty well. I've used them to catch a few shows that I have no idea when they'll air and aren't coming up in the next 2 weeks. Most of my wishlists are NOT ARWLs and are just saved searches for me to check on when I feel like it.

Last edited by cwerdna : 01-06-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #295
tem

So forcing a call, rebooting and waiting for reindexing seemed to work for me. Last night it was totally farked and this AM everything is back to normal.

I was actually amazed DTV acknowledged the problem last night when I called. The L1 tech said it was the 3rd or 4th call he'd had that night but the advanced guy said he couldn't say how many people are affected by this. I was like "do the math, dude".
Old 01-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #296
DarthOverlord

Can someone tell me if this problem affects hacked DirectTivo or just virgin ones? I tried to set a season pass for my kids for Wow Wow Wubzy and it only gives me single episode options, yet I can season pass it on my other Tivos.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #297
beardad

I haven't posted in a while but came here because of the same problems everyone else seems to have with season pass and deleted recordings by "someone in your household." I still get audio drops for a few seconds at a time and sometimes the HDMI acts strange.
The TV comes on and all I get is colored horizontal lines. I go through the selected input to the TV and when returning to HDMI 1 input it is all normal. I am suspicious of my RCA DLP TV. Has anyone else had this issue on other Brands? It doesn't seem to happen on the other HDMI Toshiba TV sets but they have only one HDMI input and the RCA has two HDMI inputs.

Before any says anything about RCA, I will not purchase another RCA product again. This is the third RCA Big Screen I have owned in a little over three years. Thanks to Extended Warranties. The First 65"on had Four Shop repairs before RCA Replaced it with a newer 65" inch until it was repaired twice and on the third attempted repair the parts were no longer available. (The second model was only two years old when it quit the last time) I settled for an 61" DLP and I am satisfied except it is a 720P with the previous ones 1080i. Sorry to bore anyone but I felt I had to defend my dumb mistake on RCA rather than Samsung or Sony purchases.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #298
dishrich

can someone explain what we should see on "indexing"

Now that it appears we are now (at least for the time being, until D* fixes their *****!) are going to have to start "babysitting" our DVR's, can someone explain (or point me to a post) what we should be seeing on the indexing part of the service info screen?

To tell you the truth, (obviously) I haven't really paid attention to this part of D-Tivo's, because once they get past their initial indexing on startup, I've never had to deal with this sort of thing, NEITHER on mine or any clients Tivo's. I guess it's something I'd better know more about now.

As far as all this BS with the SP problem, I'm about ready to chuck the whole lot of D* & switch to a S3 Tivo w/cable. (even if it means loosing my lifetime D* DVR!) If THIS is what it's coming down to having a DVR from D*, then IMHO, there is no point of having DVR service from D*, if you can't even rely on it to do simple SP's, let alone wishlists. I still can't believe how D* has now taken a perfectly good working DVR that you could pretty much rely on, to one that you cannot rely on AT ALL now!

Last edited by dishrich : 01-06-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #299
John T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardad
audio drops for a few seconds at a time and sometimes the HDMI acts strange
Don't know if it will help, but you might read this
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333631

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Old 01-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #300
ddhawk

This has been working for me

OK, add me to the list of affected users if DirecTivo (DSR6000). I first noticed it last Saturday when I looked at "View upcoming episodes" and all the upcoming episodes weren't listed. I got suspicious and looked at my to-do list and sure enough, many season pass recordings were missing from the to-do list. I believe that when people are saying that they are losing season passes they mean that their to-do list isn't correctly populated with the season pass upsoming episodes. The season passes themselves are still on the season pass list and the wishlist list has not been affected, only the to-do list. As well as, not being able to see upcoming show lists correctly. Other than on the guide.

I hesitate to write the following in fear that I won't continue to have success with this method, but here goes. What has worked for me is to go to the To-do list, "View recording history", then go through the list and find the items where it says that "someone has modified the season pass", go to "more recording options" and then "record this episode also".

I have also gone to the to-do list after everything looked straightened out and for each season pass item (double check mark), I would go to recording options, not change anything, but hit select on "Record with these options", this didn't change anything about the recording, but it changed it from a double check mark recording to a single check mark recording and I have not lost or missed any single check mark recordings in my to-do list. I do have a few Manual recordings, like for the morning news, so I wake up to the news, and I haven't lost those. The "Manual:..." items ar the only double check mark items on my to-do list right now. I am checking daily as the guide data grows to another day and changing the new doubles into singles.

So I originally noticed the problem Saturday 12/30, and it was back OK on Sunday or Monday, I can't recall, then it was messed up again on Wednesday 1/3, and back to normal on Friday 1/5 after a re-indexing after a service call.

I have not had a problem with the single checkmark recordings, either from using the method described above, or from selecting a program off the guide and recording it that way.

Obviously, this is a real pain in the a**, and you don't get the real benefit from the season pass, if shows move or whatever. But so far I haven't missed anything by being dilligent about babysitting the thing. I hope we don't have to continue to babysit our DTivos for much longer, this is getting real old , real fast.