TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
mmiller2

OS 8.1 Reboot Problem

I replaced the stock kernel from OS 8.1 with the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel from PTVUpgrade Universal BootCD Version 11. Unfortunately, the system is now rebooting every few minutes. I think it might have something to do with the wireless network card (TiVo brand), although removing it doesn't seem to stop the rebooting. The log files are attached. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Attached Files
File Type: zip tvlogs.zip (49.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip kernel.zip (54.7 KB, 3 views)
mmiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller2
I replaced the stock kernel from OS 8.1 with the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel from PTVUpgrade Universal BootCD Version 11. Unfortunately, the system is now rebooting every few minutes. I think it might have something to do with the wireless network card (TiVo brand), although removing it doesn't seem to stop the rebooting. The log files are attached. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Check over at DDB. It's covered there in a thread titled: "8.1 and my NIC".
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
mmiller2

The solution in that post is to use the backport drivers. After researching the backport drivers, it seems that they do not support 802.11 g adapters - like the one I have. Thus, that particular thread doesn't seem to apply in this case. Does anyone else have a suggestion?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
mmiller2

Okay I fixed the rebooting problem. Turns out that I needed to replace the /sbin/iptables file with a do nothing file:

Listing of dummy /sbin/iptables file:

#!/bin/bash
exit 0

Now the Tivo boots just fine and is stable. However, after the network card is detected, the OS is unable to load an appropriate kernel module. This makes sense since the 7.2.2 OS kernel didn't have 802.11 g support.

So, here is my question - how does one take the stock 8.1 OS kernel and enhance it to pass the PROM check at boot time?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller2
The solution in that post is to use the backport drivers. After researching the backport drivers, it seems that they do not support 802.11 g adapters - like the one I have. Thus, that particular thread doesn't seem to apply in this case. Does anyone else have a suggestion?
Read the whole thread. Two approachs to your problem are there. You can monte to a kernel that works with the 8.1 modules, or you can use the 7.3.1 modules that work with the 7.x kernel (e.g. as shutterfriend did in post #47)
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
mmiller2

Thanks JamieP. I went with the monte method and got it working.