Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Suddenly No Premium Channels

Major Problems ! ! !

Yesterday, everything was fine. Suddenly it's all messed up.

No premium channels on either tuner, nothing above 68, and many of the lower channels are not correct.

TiVo says it's Time Warner. I removed the cablecards, rebooted TiVo, replaced the cards, then asked TW Customer Service Rep to send a signal to reprogram the CableCards. They said they did it and it was OK for a few minutes, then back to square one.

My Time Warner DVR on the same TV works fine.

Any ideas?
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
hookbill
Feathered Member

Yes. You have a cable card problem.

I'd arrange to have a tech come out and fix it. I don't think it's TiVo.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt
Major Problems ! ! !

No premium channels on either tuner, nothing above 68, and many of the lower channels are not correct.

TiVo says it's Time Warner. I removed the cablecards, rebooted TiVo, replaced the cards, then asked TW Customer Service Rep to send a signal to reprogram the CableCards. They said they did it and it was OK for a few minutes, then back to square one.

My Time Warner DVR on the same TV works fine.

Any ideas?
Well those of us on Comcast in Montgomery county MD just suffered such a problem on Monday. All the premo channels dropped out. It was a general problem and not related to individual equipment. After a few days they were able to bring the premos back up but I was told by a rep that for about 80 percent of the cable cards (including mine) the premo channels are now coming in pixellated. The only fix they knew of as of Wednesday night was to turn off the premo access and turn it on again. Apparently sometimes the "repopulation" of the premo channels addresses the pixellation problem. I've got a tech coming to my place today to replace the cable cards. Maybe I will get lucky and get two of the cards that are not being affected by whatever screw up is taking place on CCs part. The thing is it is likely to be affecting other people in your area (if it is the same problem we had) and thus just swapping cards before your cable provider addresses the general issue will not solve the problem.

That's about as much as I know at this point. I still don't see how suddenly 80 percent of the cards would have a problem only with premium channels. I still kind of think that it is a problem with Comcast's configuration or signal at the head end. Why would only 80 percent of the cards now have pixellation problems just after ALL the cards lost the ability to decode the premo channels and then all of them came back in? Maybe there are different generations of cards out there.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
sdurgin
Mac user

Cable card loss of digital channels

Quote:

I have same situation here in Los Angeles West Valley Time Warner.

Neither cable card shows any signal above analog channels around 70 or so. Low level support at TW walked through the same thing, reseated the cards, reboot, sent reauthorization signal, but no go.

I have a card in the tv tuner that has all the digital channels on line although it has never shown the proper line up info since the reallocation of channels in October.

Tech scheduled for Monday AM. But as it took two visits by techs to get it going in the first place I fear the worst!

anyone else have same problem? I'm about to place call to Tivo for suggestions...
sdurgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurgin

Neither cable card shows any signal above analog channels around 70 or so. Low level support at TW walked through the same thing, reseated the cards, reboot, sent reauthorization signal, but no go.

I have a card in the tv tuner that has all the digital channels on line although it has never shown the proper line up info since the reallocation of channels in October.

Tech scheduled for Monday AM. But as it took two visits by techs to get it going in the first place I fear the worst!

anyone else have same problem? I'm about to place call to Tivo for suggestions...
Well, like I said, a lot of people are haivng the same problem. I think it's pretty clear that this is not a TIVO problem; the problem is something that the cable providers have done that is affecting the cable cards' ability to decode premimum channels.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:

I too am in West Valley (San Fernando Valley) of L.A. I too had two tech calls to get it started. It was good for one day.

Tech is coming here on Thursday.

I've been on the phone with TiVo numerous times and they insist it is a TW CableCard problem.

If you'd like to communicate also by private email, my user name is the same as here.

The second TW guy who was here said that the hits that Customer Service sends are not the same as the ones the dispatcher sends when the tech guy calls in to configure the cards.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Well, like I said, a lot of people are haivng the same problem. I think it's pretty clear that this is not a TIVO problem; the problem is something that the cable providers have done that is affecting the cable cards' ability to decode premimum channels.
It would be helpful to have our locations under our user names in posts. How did you get it to do that?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
sdurgin
Mac user

Quote:
If you'd like to communicate also by private email, my user name is the same as here.
I'd pm you but your user profile has email and pm's blocked. Go to CP to change your options.

Click on user name, drop down menu includes private message option.

My conversation with TIVO makes me question if TW did something regarding billing or closing a work order as my problem coincides with the clock turning December 1.

Edit: Checked with call center for TW... no obvious billing or open work orders and it's two frekin' weeks to get someone out here. jeez....

Last edited by sdurgin : 12-02-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Jack D

Quote:
It would be helpful to have our locations under our user names in posts. How did you get it to do that?
Go to the user control panel and select edit user profile. There is a box for location.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
I'd pm you but your user profile has email and pm's blocked. Go to CP to change your options.

Click on user name, drop down menu includes private message option.

I wasn't sure how to do that. If you are in the West Valley, you can just put "abredt" before the @ sign in your TW email address.

I pulled out the cablecards, repeated Guided Setup and am back to getting the channels below 100. TW tech comes on Thursday.

If TW had a general problem in our area, he can put the same cards back in. Or should I insist on new cards ???
Old 12-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #11
scuba1141

I'm having a similar problem in South Florida with Comcast. Sometimes my channels between 75 and 110 don't work. Other times they do work. I've noticed a lot of pixelation as well on the HD channels.
scuba1141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
sdurgin
Mac user

Quote:
I wasn't sure how to do that. If you are in the West Valley, you can just put "abredt" before the @ sign in your TW email address.
I don't use TW email, you mean roadrunner? It would be easy to send you private messages if you edit your preferences to accept PM or email. It's in the User CP area.

Quote:
I pulled out the cablecards, repeated Guided Setup and am back to getting the channels below 100. TW tech comes on Thursday.
Do you get any digital channels? I believe analog lineup runs up to about 68 or 70.

Quote:
If TW had a general problem in our area, he can put the same cards back in. Or should I insist on new cards ???
You will be lucky if you get a tech who knows how to make cable cards work. I witnessed a lot of confusion among the 5 TW employees over two visits to get mine set up initially. There is a bunch of voodoo in getting their cards to work properly.

I can't get them out until the 11th, which sucks. So if you can gleen any info from your visit please share.

The techs who did mine watched the EMM and ECM (?) numbers on the diagnostic page as the authorization signals hit. What is that all about?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Jack - How did you discover that a lot of people are having the same problem? Is there another forum or a website that I can go to. Any such info would be helpful in dealing with Time Warner and the tech who comes on Thursday.

I have to decide whether to let him reinstall the cable cards that I have (that worked for one day) or insist that he install two new cards.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
rodalpho

When you tune in to the missing premium channels, does the screen say "searching for signal on basic cable input"? And when you go to the diagnostics screen, does it say "NOT AVAILABLE" for everything? This is my problem, and I believe it to be a problem with tivo, not the cablecards.

Alternatively, does it say "channel not available" and the diagnostics screen show it tuning in correctly, but the picture just never shows up? In this case, the cablecards aren't showing the channels as authorized, and it's the cable co's fault.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
When you tune in to the missing premium channels, does the screen say "searching for signal on basic cable input"? And when you go to the diagnostics screen, does it say "NOT AVAILABLE" for everything? This is my problem, and I believe it to be a problem with tivo, not the cablecards.

Alternatively, does it say "channel not available" and the diagnostics screen show it tuning in correctly, but the picture just never shows up? In this case, the cablecards aren't showing the channels as authorized, and it's the cable co's fault.
Many channels said "Channel not Available" but I didn't go to the diagnostic screens. I have taken out the cable cards and TW comes on Thursday. So basically I'll be starting over.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #16
Jack D

Quote:
Jack - How did you discover that a lot of people are having the same problem? Is there another forum or a website that I can go to. Any such info would be helpful in dealing with Time Warner and the tech who comes on Thursday.

I have to decide whether to let him reinstall the cable cards that I have (that worked for one day) or insist that he install two new cards.
There is another thread here. And also I actually got one decent Comcast rep after about 15 calls who actaully was not an automoton. She told me what was happening in Montgomery county MD.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #17
rodalpho

If your s3 said "channel not available" when you tuned it in, that's an authentication issue and it's the cable company's fault. If it comes up again, check the diagnostic screen too.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #18
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

I took the cablecards out because my channels below 100 were all confused. I ran Guided Setup again and channels below 100 are now OK.

At one time the cablecards were working. Since they already had been configured and had Host IDs, can I just put them back in or does TW have to authenticate/configure them again?

Can TW Customer Service send the signal to configure them? Or does it have to be the dispatcher that the technician said he had to call?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #19
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
If your s3 said "channel not available" when you tuned it in, that's an authentication issue and it's the cable company's fault. If it comes up again, check the diagnostic screen too.
I don't think that's right... I'm pretty sure "channel not available" is the message you get when the tivo thinks there's a channel in your lineup, but the cablecard doesn't actually have it (i.e. the tivo has no idea how to tune to the channel, since the card didn't give it the information).
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:32 AM   #20
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:
I took the cablecards out because my channels below 100 were all confused. I ran Guided Setup again and channels below 100 are now OK.

At one time the cablecards were working. Since they already had been configured and had Host IDs, can I just put them back in or does TW have to authenticate/configure them again?

Can TW Customer Service send the signal to configure them? Or does it have to be the dispatcher that the technician said he had to call?
Depends on your cable system.

Some permit you to reseat your cards, others have to be done one at a time in the proper order with the pairing numbers called in each time before doing the second card.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #21
rodalpho

Check the diagnostic screen to be absolutely sure.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #22
Jack D

Update: My premo channels came back about 5 days after they dropped out but they were pixellating. Then about 4 days after that they stopped pixellating. I'm pretty sure this is something that Comcast Montgomery County MD fixed at HQ. It had nothing to do with the cable cards per se, only something that Comcast had done in their system.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #23
sdurgin
Mac user

just as sudden..

Just as suddenly as my series 3 tuners dumped all digital channels... they suddenly are back. Out for just about 5 days.

Haven't had a chance to check both tuners but the cable card diagnostic page show different counts on the ECM and EMM entries. I don't pretend to know what those mean but the cable techs were happy to see them increment when the cards were authorized.

The card in my panel tuner still doesn't see the proper channel lineup or pass all the premium channels so I'm keeping the tech appointment for the 11th.

Cable card voodoo at work!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:20 AM   #24
sdurgin
Mac user

Angry Very frustrating waste of time TW tech visit

Cross posting from the cable card thred, so shoot me.

Previously experienced drop out of all digital channels on both tuners when the TW clock turned 12/1. The card in my tv panel still worked, although it never got the right channel lineup info since the rebuild here in So, Cal. Scheduled service. The kid, nice guy none of this his fault, showed up at 10:35 am, he was already on hold with his dispatch from his 1st call nearby, knowing he had another cable card issue he came on over.

Now the cards in the Tivo came back to life after five days all by themselves, so I know it was a system issue with TW, the tech agreed. But I need the card in the tv tuner fixed. He swapped the card and waited on hold, and waited and waited. After a while he had to go back to the truck to plug his Nextel phone in to the charger. No kidding he was on hold for 2hours and the call dumped, he called back in and after 20 minutes was dumped again. All the while he is using his personal cell phone to call his buddy techs working with similar issues.

Finally he gets someone from TW who tells him THEY CHANGED THE NUMBER! WTF? So he calls back in and still has problems getting a dispatch on the line. When he gets a call back "Jesse" tells him everything is fixed. They go through the authorization tap dance and the new card is in the exact same state the original card was in! That is improper channel line up info and no premium channels passed.

Tech was on site from 10:30 am until 1:00pm to get nothing accomplished (except waste a morning taken off from work for me).

Thankfully my TIVO cards are still working fine.

It is incredible how TW is killing itself with poorly staffed and trained technical services.

I am expecting a call back from a supervisor tomorrow to explain how they plan on compensating me and repairing the service. Yikes.