TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
xxx

stuck on "Welcome! Powering up..."

I just plugged in my series 3 for the first time, and it's on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen. it's been there for a while. how long does it usually take the first time it's plugged in? I've got my network plugged in and confirmed it received an ip address through my router. I've seen others with the stuck screen when the drive goes bad, but this is a brand new out of the box tivo! any suggestions?

I should also mention that the blue, the amber, and both red lights are solidly on.
xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
pex

My first TiVo Series 3 got stuck a little later in the boot process, at the "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." screen. I ended up having to return it. My replacement works fine.
pex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
xxx

I'm already on the phone with tivo. I strongly suspect the hard drive, or what powers the hard drive. when I plug the unit in, I hear the fan in the back spin up, but that's it. definitely sounds like the drive isn't spinning up. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer before I enjoy the tivo.
xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

My #2 S3 was doing just that.

The first time I powered it up, it smelled funny but got through guided setup. I was scanning QAM when the box just turned off.

It was like a Windows machine with the screen saver set to power-save - only it never comes back to life.

By the time I arranged to replace it it would either hang at the Welcome screen or crash while trying to play the THX animation.

I think either my Hard Drive was damaged in transit or it had some kind of power supply problem.

TCF store has been great to deal with through all this.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx
I'm already on the phone with tivo. I strongly suspect the hard drive, or what powers the hard drive. when I plug the unit in, I hear the fan in the back spin up, but that's it. definitely sounds like the drive isn't spinning up. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer before I enjoy the tivo.
I too expect it to be the hard drive. I had a series 2 do that and it was a bad hard drive.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote