TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #1
jana

Arrow Stuck in Guided SetUp!

A few months ago, I bought a new Tivo Series 2 DVR and put my older Philips Series 1 DVR in another room to use as a standalone DVR. I called Tivo and told them I didn't have the Series 1 anymore and wanted my subscription service attached to the new Series 2 DVR. Today, I wanted to reset the clock on the Series 1 DVR because it has moved ahead about 20 minutes. Some Web site indicated that a repeat of Guided Set Up would solve the problem but now the DVR is stuck in Guided SetUp mode. I have tried disconnecting the unit but that didn't work. I have also tried plugging in my phone line but I think the phone connection only works with my Series 2 DVR. I canít believe this has happened. Can anyone help!
jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
funtoupgrade

Sounds like the modem went bad in the series one.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate
Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
jana

I don't think it's the modem. It worked fine for years until I chose to designate the unit as a standalone without a subscription. Therefore, the modem hasn't been forced to operate (make a daily call). When I listen in as the unit is dialing out, it sounds like the modem works fine but when it tries to connect, it prompts the following message "Failed: Service Unavailable." My next question: If I have a Tivo subscription on my Series 2 unit, which makes a daily call, is it coded/dedicated to the Series 2 unit? I just need a quick fix solution to get out of Guided Setup on the Series 1 unit to return it to its standalone use. If I plug both of the units to a phone splitter, would they both receive the download? Is it worth a call to Tivo to ask for help as I've been a loyal Tivo subscriber for years and want to buy a lifetime membership on the Series 2. I've also read a lot of info on the forums about network cards and connecting through my PC but I really don't understand what that's about. Is that my only solution? Appreciate responses from those with same experience.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Hm... I had to reset my tivo s1 many times while trying to get my output network settings correct. I just pulled the power plug out and put it back in, and it would return to the main tivo menu. Is it not doing that for you?

Don't be so sure it isn't the modem... my modem seemed to be making calls for a little while too before it died. My S1 now only works over the network.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Just because you haven't been using it doesn't mean that it hasn't gone bad.

There is no way to exit Guided Setup without contacting the mothership. For future reference, a simple daily call would have reset the clock.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
writdenied

I'm missing something:

I called Tivo and told them I didn't have the Series 1 anymore and wanted my subscription service attached to the new Series 2 DVR.

Ok. So the S1 has, in TiVo's eyes, been deactivated, and your only subscription is for the S2.

Some Web site indicated that a repeat of Guided Set Up would solve the problem but now the DVR is stuck in Guided SetUp mode.

Where in Guided Setup mode? What does it say? Did it complete a phone call, but tell you that it needs to be activated? Does it fail at some point in the phone call? It's hard to diagnose the problem without details. But I'd guess that, being an unsubscribed unit, you're not going to get much out of running guided setup. See below.

My next question: If I have a Tivo subscription on my Series 2 unit, which makes a daily call, is it coded/dedicated to the Series 2 unit?

Yes. Your unit has to tell TiVo its unique service number just to get access to the TiVo service, and the TiVo service checks to see if that service number is currently subscribed. Just like the folks checking to make sure your membership is current before they let you into the gym. Your S1, because it doesn't have a current subscription, won't be able to fully* access the TiVo service.

(*I say "fully," because TiVo will allow an unactivated box to gather some data from the service. I don't know enough about it to say what particular data it gets, or what the TiVo service does with a box like your S1 that has been activated, but whose subscription is no longer active.)

If I plug both of the units to a phone splitter, would they both receive the download?

No. That's like saying that if I plug two computers into a splitter, can I call into the internet with one and read it on the other, just because it's "listening in." There are lots of communications protocols and things like that that make it impossible.

Is it worth a call to Tivo to ask for help as I've been a loyal Tivo subscriber for years and want to buy a lifetime membership on the Series 2.

It's worth it, but they'll want you to subscribe the S1 box. Heck, it's only $6.95 a month, since you're already carrying a sub on the S2. Pay for a month's sub, get the S1 box updated, and then cancel the service again. Oh, and as for the S2-- you waited too long. You can't buy Lifetime anymore on any box.
writdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
jana

Thanks to all who replied to my post. To answer "WritDenied," 1) my statement "some Web site indicated that a repeat of Guided Set Up would solve the problem but now the DVR is stuck in Guided SetUp mode" was related to resetting the clock (see my original email). 2) The first time I went through Guided SetUp, I got to the Program Call screen but it failed on the Connecting portion and never even got to the Downloading portion. I went back into Phone Dialing Options to see if there was something I could do and I believe I changed a checkbox on the Phone Available Detection screen. I then tried the Make Test Call Now feature over and over but couldn't get past the Dialing portion which always prompted the Failed: Service Unavailable message. Since my last post, I have good news. I put a filter on the phone and changed the area code before I went back to the Program Call screen. I left the room to do more research on the forums and when I returned, the screen was already at the Downloading portion. Then it went through the longer Importing portion and finally prompted the Congratulations screen and I could exit out. 3) Although it successfully completed Guided Setup, the unit didn't actually download any program guide information which you indicated by your comment "... TiVo will allow an unactivated box to gather some data from the service..." Thanks for info about cancellation of lifetime memberships...I wish I had known. To answer "ZikZak," the recent daily phone call did not reset the clock, it's still 20 minutes ahead! Anyone out there with a "safe" solution that has actually worked?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
jana

I just checked my Series 1 unit and now the time has reset back to normal so everything is good again in Tivo land! How can I avoid the "clock resetting" problem without going into the Repeat Guided Setup? Per ZikZak, do I just go into Phone Connection in Messages and Setup and Make Daily Call even though I don't have an active subscription on this unit? Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

That's it. Just let it make its daily calls.