TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #2791
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
If you have a PC hooked up to your TV... why do you need pyTivo? Why wouldn't you just play the videos on the PC?
In my case, it's because the pc (and it's on-board video) can't handle 1080 or even 720p without serious frame dropping. It does a fine job of sending over hd material to the tivo, with just faster than real-time transcodes (in the case of hd, sd is plenty better than real time), and it does a lot of other household server duties. Although it is connected with a vga cable to the tv, my most common way to access it is remotely to do maintenance tasks. Occasionally, I use the pc input on the tv to display photos from photo sites (or facebook, ugh) and other digital content that can't be easily sent/viewed on the TiVo.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #2792
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
If you have a PC hooked up to your TV... why do you need pyTivo? Why wouldn't you just play the videos on the PC?
I can answer that. I have tried VLC, XBMC, Plex, etc, and the human interface on all of them is pathetic! The way TiVo lets you back up 8 seconds, skip 30 seconds, skip to tick, etc., is orders of magnitude better than the "free" viewers. In this case you get what you pay for.

Or to use a German phrase to describe the situation, the PC (or Mac in my case) software players are alles Scheiße!
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #2793
lrhorer

Quote:
Do you mean, "Why do I need the TiVo?" If I were using the PC to play the video, I would still use pyTivo to select the program, since it has the program names, rather than the filenames, and has the descriptions at hand.

First of all, they are old, slow PCs. 'Not nearly good enough for HD video. Secondly, not all the video is on the server. Some is on the server and some is on one or the other of the TiVos. Of course I could switch back and forth bewtween PC and TiVo, but I find it no more difficult to switch from the PC to the TiVo than to switch from one application on the PC to another. Maybe to some extent it's just habit. Surely, if the TiVo had an interface more closely approximating the pyTivo interface, then I would not use pyTivo's interface, and if I ever replace the PCs ('not going to happen any time soon: I'm about broke), I might start using the PC instead of the TiVo, and relegate the TiVo to being mostly an automated recorder.

By the way, I showed the screen shots to my colleague without prompting him concerning which to choose, and he also chose my preferred format. I did, however, specify that the display would be on a TV, to be used for he and his wife to select a program to watch. I think I was careful to be noncommittal on my preference, and I did point out all the shortcomings of the choice.

Last edited by lrhorer : 04-20-2010 at 06:55 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #2794
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
In my case, it's because the pc (and it's on-board video) can't handle 1080 or even 720p without serious frame dropping.
Yeah. Here, too. The two I have are fine for still pictures, but for full motion HD video...

Quote:
It does a fine job of sending over hd material to the tivo, with just faster than real-time transcodes (in the case of hd, sd is plenty better than real time), and it does a lot of other household server duties.
Not here. The servers are in the server room. Since the two of them with their external RAID arrays do a fair imitation of a 747 taking off, I really don't want them in my theater.

Quote:
Although it is connected with a vga cable to the tv, my most common way to access it is remotely to do maintenance tasks. Occasionally, I use the pc input on the tv to display photos from photo sites (or facebook, ugh) and other digital content that can't be easily sent/viewed on the TiVo.
I use them for casual web browsing and sometimes for working from home. 'Nothing requiring any amount of motion on the screen, and generally not for lots of text work, but if it's mouse intensive, then it's a lot more comfortable in a recliner than an office chair.

Last edited by lrhorer : 04-20-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #2795
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I can answer that. I have tried VLC, XBMC, Plex, etc, and the human interface on all of them is pathetic! The way TiVo lets you back up 8 seconds, skip 30 seconds, skip to tick, etc., is orders of magnitude better than the "free" viewers. In this case you get what you pay for.
'Good point. Since all of the videos being transferred from the server are edited to remove commercials, I don't use trickplay much, but sometimes at the end credits I like moving back and forth. I think if I had HTPC class PCs attached, though, I might live with it well enough. I'd have to try it for a while to really know. Given the PCs I have, though, it's moot.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #2796
innocentfreak

I decided to try pyTiVo again on a new computer. I had it setup previously on my old XP machine but now I am running into an issue on Win 7. I know I had a similar issue on XP but don't remember how I fixed it. I followed this page as the install guide.

I installed the latest wmcbrine fork. I can see the share on my PC but it is empty when running as a service. Also it doesn't show up on the web configuration page. It works fine as a console and shows up then.

I am using a mapped network drive and I did put the login for my account. Still I can't see the files. I would prefer to run it as a service so I don't have to think about it.

Also possibly related to run the service or console I have to run as administrator otherwise it won't work.

Now on another matter since I have been using console, I am guessing there isn't a way to have multiple folders under one share? I am trying to combine all of my files across several drives into one now playing list. Unfortunately I don't have the free space just to combine them on my PC/server.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #2797
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I am guessing there isn't a way to have multiple folders under one share? I am trying to combine all of my files across several drives into one now playing list.
There are ways, but the simpler thing is just to have each folder be a share. pyTivo doesn't place a limit on the number of shares. (TiVo Desktop only provides one video share, so you have to link all your video folders under it.)

Someone else can probably answer you better about running as a service under Windows with the appropriate user credentials. I'll just add that you should really consider running pyTivo on the system where the files are, instead of using a network share.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #2798
innocentfreak

Quote:
There are ways, but the simpler thing is just to have each folder be a share. pyTivo doesn't place a limit on the number of shares. (TiVo Desktop only provides one video share, so you have to link all your video folders under it.)

Someone else can probably answer you better about running as a service under Windows with the appropriate user credentials. I'll just add that you should really consider running pyTivo on the system where the files are, instead of using a network share.
Ultimately every share will be its own folder so I will have one for Movies, MMA, Concerts, and TV Shows. I currently don't have enough room on my server though so I have most files on the server and then my TiVo transfers on local drives. I am slowly transitioning those over to the server as I add more space and delete shows as I watch them. I just don't have enough room to throw everything on the server. Once it is I will probably just run pytivo on my WHS.

Eventually also I plan on trying to incorporate my WTV recordings if and when FFmeg adds support. I just don't want to go through converting them all to DVR-MS due to the limited space since I have an extender in the same room.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #2799
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There's no reason not to run pyTivo on multiple systems, either. (Just don't use the same share names on both.)

Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #2800
innocentfreak

True and I may set that up to. It still presents the problem of keeping track of what shows are where until I centralize them.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #2801
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Post #2,790:
At this point in the thread, I would think that any discussion about pyTivo is fair game, be it feature request, bug report, jeers or accolades.
Notwithstanding lrhorer's well known propensity for verbosity and debate beyond that of any normal person, is there an up to date FAQ on PyTiVo somewhere that says what it can do now? I don't have time to wade through all this ust to find out if you can send mp4 directly to an S3 without using push. Not that I ever got to learn how the push interface worked, either.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #2802
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Notwithstanding lrhorer's well known propensity for verbosity and debate beyond that of any normal person, is there an up to date FAQ on PyTiVo somewhere that says what it can do now? I don't have time to wade through all this ust to find out if you can send mp4 directly to an S3 without using push. Not that I ever got to learn how the push interface worked, either.
Maybe here? http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

But to answer your question about mp4 to TiVo without push: No, pull will transcode to mpeg2 (source).

What I think would be very awesome is if bkdtv would write technical docs on pyTivo, kmttg, Harmonium, etc... He seems to have quite a knack for creating excellent write ups, and that would allow the developers to continue developing, and not have them be too concerned with elaborate documenting.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #2803
fyodor

Quote:
Now on another matter since I have been using console, I am guessing there isn't a way to have multiple folders under one share? I am trying to combine all of my files across several drives into one now playing list. Unfortunately I don't have the free space just to combine them on my PC/server.
If you're using an NTFS formatted hard drive you can use the mklink command to create symbolic links in directories. So you create a "videos" directory and put symbolic links in it to your different folders. Then you make the "videos" directory a pytivo share and all of your linked folders show up as subfolders of that share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #2804
innocentfreak

Looks like I only had it temporarily working. I fired up the console again today running it as administrator and it shows the share name except it is empty. In the console window it says windows can't find the path.

WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'V:\\TV Shows'

Now maybe something changed because I did extract the new update over my folder and maybe something got overwritten that shouldn't have?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #2805
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Looks like I only had it temporarily working. I fired up the console again today running it as administrator and it shows the share name except it is empty. In the console window it says windows can't find the path.

WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'V:\\TV Shows'

Now maybe something changed because I did extract the new update over my folder and maybe something got overwritten that shouldn't have?
It seems I've had trouble in the past using mapped network drives, and switched to using UNC format. I keep most of my HD movies on a remote machine, and TV series local...

Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #2806
innocentfreak

This is when I start to hate Win 7 since I haven't delved deep into it.

Ok changing it to UNC works again under console, but still no go on the service. Thanks for that suggestion.

EDIT: OK I think I got it working now as a service. It looks like there is an issue with using the last version of the windows installer with windows 7 based off this thread. Once I copied my pytivo.conf file back to users/public/public documents/pytivo it worked. Now hopefully it stays that way.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 05-09-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #2807
chemosh6969

Is there a setting I can change so if the video file has a subtitles file, it'll add subs?
chemosh6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #2808
Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosh6969 View Post
Is there a setting I can change so if the video file has a subtitles file, it'll add subs?
No. FFMPEG (what pytivo uses to transcode video) doesn't have that capability. Whenever I've needed to do that (i.e. Avatar) I've used MKV2VOB.
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #2809
chemosh6969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
No. FFMPEG (what pytivo uses to transcode video) doesn't have that capability. Whenever I've needed to do that (i.e. Avatar) I've used MKV2VOB.
Found some directions for what I wanted(and cleaned them up). Just tested it and it works perfect.

Install AviSynth so you have vsfilter.dll

Make a file called something.avs and put it in one of the folders you use to stream. Inside the file, which I saved as WagesofFear-subs.avs

Code:
loadplugin("C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\vsfilter.dll")
DirectShowSource("P:\Movies\Wages Of Fear (1953).avi",convertfps=true)
TextSub("P:\Movies\Wages Of Fear (1953).srt")
In the first line, point it to the vsfilter.dll file
Second line is the path to the movie
Third is the path to the subs.

If you're going to use a .sub or .idx file, replace TextSub with vobsub
chemosh6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #2810
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

This might be an odd question, but how do I not publish pyTivo's containers/shares on the TiVo DVR? I'm converting all my videos to h264/ac3/mp4, and I'm interested only in the push aspect. I don't want to delete the containers from pytivo.conf because I still need them for push. I'm thinking beacon.py is the answer, but there too, I think it's needed to know where to push to.

Any insights?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #2811
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You can do it through your pyTivo.conf. For each TiVo that you don't want to see the shares, add a section named "_tivo_" plus the TSN, with the line "shares =". Example:

Code:
[_tivo_648000101234567]
shares =
(If you want to suppress the warning about Zeroconf being disabled, you can also add the line "zeroconf = False" to the Server section.) The TiVos should still be seen by pyTivo, when they make requests in response to the old-style beacons it sends.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #2812
loganasu
I'm a lurker

Ok... I'm confused. I have a HD Tivo where I have downloaded the video to the PC. I am now trying to use pyTivo to get the video to the Series 2 Tivo and I'm not getting it to work.

Can someone please point me in some direction that will resolve my confusion?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #2813
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Sorry, but "not getting it to work" is too vague a complaint to advise you. However, I can say that if you're trying to transfer HD (or upconverted) .TiVo videos to the S2, you'll need to have tivodecode present, and your MAK set, so that pyTivo can decrypt them (and then reencode them to SD).

Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #2814
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
You can do it through your pyTivo.conf. For each TiVo that you don't want to see the shares, add a section named "_tivo_" plus the TSN, with the line "shares =". Example:

Code:
[_tivo_648000101234567]
shares =
(If you want to suppress the warning about Zeroconf being disabled, you can also add the line "zeroconf = False" to the Server section.) The TiVos should still be seen by pyTivo, when they make requests in response to the old-style beacons it sends.
Sweet! This should keep the temptation of pulling (and unnecessarily transcoding) from occurring.

However, it does make me want to dig into your code to see if I can bastardize it a bit to have a list presented on the TiVo(s), as it does now, but have an additional option to push, perhaps by using curl.exe with popen(), and passing tsn, container and file(?) back to the pyTivo server using "Command=Push". I would think all of those variables would/should be present at the time...

Edit: Unless that's not possible due to the differences in HME vs. HMO?

Last edited by orangeboy : 06-01-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #2815
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There would be no earthly reason to use curl. Anyway, if that's the behavior you want, then just use Streambaby. (And no, you can't just add options to the menu in HMO. You could implement what you want in other ways, but you're looking at either HME, or an ugly kludge.)

Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #2816
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
There would be no earthly reason to use curl...
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #2817
loganasu
I'm a lurker

Quote:
Sorry, but "not getting it to work" is too vague a complaint to advise you. However, I can say that if you're trying to transfer HD (or upconverted) .TiVo videos to the S2, you'll need to have tivodecode present, and your MAK set, so that pyTivo can decrypt them (and then reencode them to SD).
Sorry about that. It's what I get for posting after a long weekend camping.

When transferring to the S2, it only uploads a split second and the stops uploading.

is the tivodecode something that needs to be downloaded separate from pyTivo?
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #2818
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I guess I should back up and ask you how you installed pyTivo. Hopefully not with the broken, ancient "Windows Installer". That version won't transfer .TiVo files at all. But it might come with tivodecode... I'm not sure. If not, you can get it here, among other places. Remember, you also have to set your tivo_mak in the Server section of pyTivo.conf for tivodecode to work.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #2819
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:

Code:
[_tivo_648000101234567]
shares =
I finally got around to altering pytivo.conf, but the above code actually enforces the opposite of what I want. From the pyTivo shares help section:

Code:
shares

Default Setting: Blank, which is equivalent to allow all shares on this TiVo.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #2820
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, it doesn't, unless you're using a version from before January 28th.

I'll try to update the documentation.