TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #2701
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
Hey guys - I'm still using one of krkeegan's builds of pyTivo that I grabbed in Feb 2008. (First consistently stable build I got, after bugs causing crashes on the Tivo were fixed) I grabbed a more recent one a year ago, but never really dove into using it - I've used it a couple of times when the old one didn't like a particular video file for converting.

So what am I missing by not updating? Or should I just stick with my "if it ain't broke" system? I have very low demands - Series 2 Tivo, and I have my bit rate set to 1024K, so video quality isn't important to me.
If you do update to a current version of pyTivo, I suggest also updating FFMPEG and the other items listed here
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #2702
GreenMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
Hey guys - I'm still using one of krkeegan's builds of pyTivo that I grabbed in Feb 2008. (First consistently stable build I got, after bugs causing crashes on the Tivo were fixed) I grabbed a more recent one a year ago, but never really dove into using it - I've used it a couple of times when the old one didn't like a particular video file for converting.

So what am I missing by not updating? Or should I just stick with my "if it ain't broke" system? I have very low demands - Series 2 Tivo, and I have my bit rate set to 1024K, so video quality isn't important to me.
The last time I tried to update last year, I had trouble with the newer version of Python and couldn't get it to work at all. It's made me leery of upgrading it again. I'll probably try the new versions of everything first on another windows box before I try to upgrade it again on my media server.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #2703
Sparty99

Hey guys. Big fan of PyTivo but I haven't been keeping up with all 90 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been addressed. I've got a rather sizable collection of videos that I would like to maintain on a networked drive to my laptop as opposed to having it constantly connected via USB cable. However, it appears that doing so would prevent me from using this drive with PyTivo. Is there a workaround for this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #2704
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Hey guys. Big fan of PyTivo but I haven't been keeping up with all 90 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been addressed. I've got a rather sizable collection of videos that I would like to maintain on a networked drive to my laptop as opposed to having it constantly connected via USB cable. However, it appears that doing so would prevent me from using this drive with PyTivo. Is there a workaround for this?
If I'm understanding correctly, pyTivo does support network drives when using the UNC (\\servername\sharename). Here's a portion of my .conf file:

Code:
[Downloaded]
type = video
path = \\media-center\ToTivo\Downloaded

[Cut Programs]
type = video
path = F:\ToTivo\Cut Programs
Does that help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #2705
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Big fan of PyTivo but I haven't been keeping up with all 90 pages of this thread
Hah, you think this thread is long, there's a whole other forum.

And yeah, the only problem with keeping files on a network share is that it's slow. But personally I recommend that you run pyTivo on the system where the files are (since it will run almost anywhere), unless you really need more transcoding power.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #2706
TreborPugly
Unreal!

I did the network drive thing for a good while - with a stand-alone, LaCie network drive. Those things are inherently slow on the netwoork speed, so I had to transfer things and then watch them, rather than watch them while they were transfering. But it worked okay.

I think there was some issue with using the service, and a mapped network drive - to see if it inherently works, run it from the command prompt.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #2707
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Hah, you think this thread is long, there's a whole other forum.

And yeah, the only problem with keeping files on a network share is that it's slow. But personally I recommend that you run pyTivo on the system where the files are (since it will run almost anywhere), unless you really need more transcoding power.
Well I got the networked drive up and running, but I heeded everyone's advice in talking about how slow it is, so I just set up PyTivo on the other computer. Is there a way (other than using a program like Logmein) to control PyTivo from another computer?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #2708
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Define "control"? pyTivo provides a web interface, which you can access from anywhere. It doesn't quite do everything, though.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #2709
Sparty99

Quote:
Define "control"? pyTivo provides a web interface, which you can access from anywhere. It doesn't quite do everything, though.
Well, now that I've got everything configured on the other computer, my main concern is accessing that computer's pyTivo interface so I can send files to the computer, without having to either go downstairs to do so or without using Logmein. Is there a simple way to do that?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #2710
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "send files to the computer" -- from the TiVo? That's covered by the web interface, yes.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #2711
Sparty99

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "send files to the computer" -- from the TiVo? That's covered by the web interface, yes.
Sorry, I misspoke. From the pyTivo web interface, it's possible to send a file from the computer to the TiVo (which I realize is the exact opposite of what I said). I would like to be able to access this portion of pyTivo from another computer and use pyTivo to send programs to my DVR. Is this possible?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #2712
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Sorry, I misspoke. From the pyTivo web interface, it's possible to send a file from the computer to the TiVo (which I realize is the exact opposite of what I said). I would like to be able to access this portion of pyTivo from another computer and use pyTivo to send programs to my DVR. Is this possible?
Instead of "http://localhost:9032/" in a browser, replace localhost with the ip address of the machine running pyTivo.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #2713
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Instead of "http://localhost:9032/" in a browser, replace localhost with the ip address of the machine running pyTivo.
Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #2714
bkdtv

Screenshot of pyTiVo + Premiere:

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #2715
dlfl
Cranky old novice

60 Mbps, wow! Is that for real?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #2716
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
60 Mbps, wow! Is that for real?
Yep.

MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 throughput is 60Mbps and 40Mbps, respectively, under the classic interface. More details in my review.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #2717
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Yep.

MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 throughput is 60Mbps and 40Mbps, respectively, under the classic interface. More details in my review.
The Premier Review PDF link in your signature doesn't work for me:

Quote:
Not Found
The requested URL /~fiosdvr/prem_review_01.pdf was not found on this server.
I assume your network is hardwired. 100 Mbps or Gigabit ? In other words, is the speed increase is entirely due to the Premiere?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #2718
bkdtv

Quote:
The Premier Review PDF link in your signature doesn't work for me:
That's odd. I just added a mirror.

Quote:
I assume your network is hardwired. 100 Mbps or Gigabit ? In other words, is the speed increase is entirely due to the Premiere?
All of my TiVos and PCs are networked with MoCA, which is the equivalent of a 100Mbps network. The increase is due entirely to the Premiere.

Edit: I just posted the performance charts to the TCF Premiere FAQ.

Last edited by bkdtv : 03-28-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #2719
cburbs

OK I shrunk some of my HD files down and wanted to send them back to the Tivo. I know the date stamp will have the date of the send....but my file looks like this KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4 and it shows up on the tivo as the following:

House\5 to 9

Since I am sending mutliple shows of House back to the tivo I want the recorded date there so I know which one to watch first.....why isn't that showing up as part of the transferred file?
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #2720
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
OK I shrunk some of my HD files down and wanted to send them back to the Tivo. I know the date stamp will have the date of the send....but my file looks like this KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4 and it shows up on the tivo as the following:

House\5 to 9

Since I am sending mutliple shows of House back to the tivo I want the recorded date there so I know which one to watch first.....why isn't that showing up as part of the transferred file?
Are you using kmttg to preserve the metadata from the original .tivo file?

For instance, for KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4, do you have a corresponding KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4.txt? If so, the metadata from the .txt file is used as the title rather than the filename.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #2721
cburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Are you using kmttg to preserve the metadata from the original .tivo file?

For instance, for KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4, do you have a corresponding KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4.txt? If so, the metadata from the .txt file is used as the title rather than the filename.
Yes - Ok if I change the file in the txt file - episodeTitle : 5 to 9 to episodeTitle : 5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010) this will work.

Is there any other way of doing this without actually having to edit each file?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #2722
Rdian06

Quote:
Yes - Ok if I change the file in the txt file - episodeTitle : 5 to 9 to episodeTitle : 5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010) this will work.

Is there any other way of doing this without actually having to edit each file?
You can use my hacked pyTivo templates to put the Season/episode numbers from the metadata into the title. See this thread:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ates-t618.html

The latest copy of my hacked templates are here (make sure you login to the pyTivo forum as the download is only visible to members):

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/post9307.html#9307

Old 04-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #2723
cburbs

Quote:
You can use my hacked pyTivo templates to put the Season/episode numbers from the metadata into the title. See this thread:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ates-t618.html

The latest copy of my hacked templates are here (make sure you login to the pyTivo forum as the download is only visible to members):

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/post9307.html#9307
That is a step closer but doesn't help when there isn't a episode # for the show.

Is there a way I can change your file to just grab the air date?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #2724
Rdian06

Quote:
That is a step closer but doesn't help when there isn't a episode # for the show.

Is there a way I can change your file to just grab the air date?
If you know how to code, you could compare my hacked templates to the originals to figure out how to do that. Either by including the air date in the title or by using the filename instead of the metadata title.

The other thing you might want to try is to use the "time" metadata value to set the date stamp to "air date" rather than "date of send". That way when you sort based on date on the Tivo's Now Playing list, things will be in order.

wmcbrine added the augmented "time" metadata handling back in Nov 09. You can put a default.txt in your folder and set time value to "OAD" and it will use the original air date for date stamping for all files in the folder (note, sub-folders need their own default.txt files since they don't recruse.) See:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ata-t1091.html

Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #2725
cburbs

Quote:
wmcbrine added the augmented "time" metadata handling back in Nov 09. You can put a default.txt in your folder and set time value to "OAD" and it will use the original air date for date stamping for all files in the folder (note, sub-folders need their own default.txt files since they don't recruse.) See:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ata-t1091.html
Sorry I am lost on this part - the default.txt where is the file located or stored?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #2726
Rdian06

Quote:
Sorry I am lost on this part - the default.txt where is the file located or stored?
Assuming your video is in:

KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4

Then the individual metadata file corresponding to that video is:

KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\5 to 9 (Recorded Feb 08,2010).mp4.txt

Then you would create:

KMTTG\Home\Encode\House\default.txt

Any metadata you place in default.txt will be used as defaults and merged with the individual metadata files found within a given folder. For instance, if all the shows in your folder have the same seriesId, you can put the seriesId in your default.txt and then omit it from the individual metadata files. If a field shows up in both default.txt and the individual metadata files, then the individual metadata file's field value will override (hence why it's called a default.)

See:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Metadata

Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #2727
cburbs

OK makes sense - but them I am still trying to understand the originalAirDate part.

How would you set that up in the default.txt file.

Will this follow the file over when you push/pull it to the tivo?

Thanks for all the info so far.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #2728
Rdian06

Quote:
OK makes sense - but them I am still trying to understand the originalAirDate part.

How would you set that up in the default.txt file.

Will this follow the file over when you push/pull it to the tivo?

Thanks for all the info so far.
Create a default.txt file and in it specify:

Code:
time : OAD
Then make sure your individual metadata files do NOT contain a time field, but DO contain an originalAirDate. Then upon transfer with pyTivo pull, the date stamp for Now Playing list sorting will be set to the originalAirDate.

You can also use the File keyword instead of OAD and the file's modify time will be used rather than the originalAirDate.

Assuming your metadata is correct, you should end up with the oldest episodes from a given series at the bottom of your Now Playing list. And if you have valid current seriesId's set for all the files, they'll end up in a folder in order of originalAirDate.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #2729
cburbs

So you need to do this thru the Tivo(Pull) vs Push from the web interface for it to work correctly? Sorry for all the simple questions but I want to get a better understanding of it all.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #2730
Rdian06

Quote:
So you need to do this thru the Tivo(Pull) vs Push from the web interface for it to work correctly? Sorry for all the simple questions but I want to get a better understanding of it all.
Yes, the date stamp can only be sent via pulls initiated via the Now Playing list. Push transfers using the web interface do not allow the same metadata unfortunately.