TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #2101
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Tivo View Post
Now that ptivo is running fine on my new vista box, I am trying to modify the config for me SD tivo and HD tivo. Can someone tell if this looks ok?
[_tivo_HD]
aspect169=True
audio_br=384K
video_br=8192
width=1920
height=1080
ffmpeg_prams= -vcodec mpeg2video -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %

(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ab %(audio_br)s %(audio_fr)s %(audio_codec)s -f vob -

[_tivo_SD1]
aspect169=True
audio_br=192K
video_br=4096K
width=544
height=480
ffmpeg_prams= -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s

%(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ab %(audio_br)s %(audio_fr)s %(audio_codec)s -f vob -
ffmpeg_prams has been changed in current versions. I would recommend deleting it. The following config is more appropriate unless you are really limited on space on the HD tivo. In which case you should delete everything after aspect169.

[_tivo_HD]
aspect169=True
audio_br=448K
video_br=16Mi
width=1920
height=1080

[_tivo_SD1]
aspect169=True (assuming your S2 is connected to a 16:9 TV)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #2102
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Tivo View Post
I am trying to install this on a new Vista machine (logged in as admin). But when I try http://localhost:9032/ I get page cannot be displayed. Also, I cannot stop service from program. I can stop it from the services console. Some basic permission issue here?

When I stop the service from services and go into console I see the error message. It says name 'logging' is not defined. I am enclosing a screenshot. Can someone help please?

EDIT : Uninstalled Python 2.5 & 3.0 and installed 2.6 with pytivo again. That took care of it.
I got that message - and pyTivo wouldn't run - until I commented out the logging section.

I see now that the web configurator put it back in. Dunno.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #2103
AZ_Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
ffmpeg_prams has been changed in current versions. I would recommend deleting it. The following config is more appropriate unless you are really limited on space on the HD tivo. In which case you should delete everything after aspect169.

[_tivo_HD]
aspect169=True
audio_br=448K
video_br=16Mi
width=1920
height=1080

[_tivo_SD1]
aspect169=True (assuming your S2 is connected to a 16:9 TV)
Appreciate it. I have 1 TB space on Tivo HD so I should be ok. I will give this a try tomorrow and update here. Thanks

Can you point me to information on push feature of pyTivo?

TiVo HD-1TB Internal + Lifetime
TiVo S2-400 Hours + Lifetime
AZ_Tivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #2104
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I got that message - and pyTivo wouldn't run - until I commented out the logging section.

I see now that the web configurator put it back in. Dunno.
I haven't had time to track down the logging issue, but from what most people have described it's a Python install issue. Normally uninstalling and re-installing Python 2.6 takes care of it.

As for commenting out the logging section and the web configurator putting it back, did you shutdown pyTivo before updating the conf file? If not, the web configurator will overwrite your changes. So shutdown pyTivo before editing the conf file.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #2105
Southcross

bah... I can't find the thread to link to... a step-by-step on how to convert .TiVo files to MPG to MP4 format.

anywaysies...

here is my question:
Other than the native .TiVo files, and MPEG2 files, what format/encoding is the "MOST" efficient for pyTivo/FFMPEG AND the most efficient for space?

My past experiences with early MP4 formats make me lean away from it. Quality is a concern, but so is space... two 500GBs, both are over 75% full (mostly .TiVo recordings). I've stooped to converting them .MPG format and editing out the commercials, I had no idea that a 4GB movie has nearly 1GB worth of commercial content LOL!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #2106
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcross View Post
bah... I can't find the thread to link to... a step-by-step on how to convert .TiVo files to MPG to MP4 format.
I recently started using this method ... with decent results:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...99#post6844399

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #2107
Southcross

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I recently started using this method ... with decent results:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...99#post6844399
now THAT is the writeup I was trying to find (forgot to bookmark it)... I just question what codec is going to be the most "compatible" with pyTiVo/FFmpeg
Old 01-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #2108
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Well.. Im having an issue I hope someone here can help me with. PyTivo was working great for me and then all of a sudden it quit showing up in my Now Playing list. I uninstalled it and installed Tivo Desktop and that worked okay.. it just kind of, well, sucks. So I uninstalled that and installed Galleon and that showed up fine as well.

I reinstalled PyTivo and it still isnt showing up. Web configuration works fine.. I just dont have a "My Videos" entry on my Tivo.

All I get when I run it in console mode is

Quote:
2009-01-07 16:54:13,344 INFO pyTivo: pyTivo is ready.
Anyone got any ideas?
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #2109
Southcross

what OS are you running it under? my guess would be a Port/Firewall issue if under windows.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #2110
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
what OS are you running it under? my guess would be a Port/Firewall issue if under windows.
Its Windows Vista.

Firewall is disabled.

Ive gone through the complete checklist on the PyTivo website and I am getting requests from the Tivo in PyTivo's console. Just nothing is showing up on the actual Tivo.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #2111
Southcross

I don't know if it matters... but in the "get music and pictures" do you have "Enable (I forget what its called, something like Home media network applications)" turned on? no idea if that would make any difference
Have you used the browser interface and verified what shows in your video shares? I don't think anything will show if they are "empty" or "appear empty"
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #2112
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

The video shares show up in my browser okay. I dont have the picture or music stuff enabled.

It worked fine one day and then just quit.. I havent been able to get it working since.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #2113
Southcross

hmmm... well, I've tried troubleshooting the most obvious LOL!

Do you run TiVoDesktop? Does it see the Tivo? Does the Tivo see the native TivoServer?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #2114
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
hmmm... well, I've tried troubleshooting the most obvious LOL!

Do you run TiVoDesktop? Does it see the Tivo? Does the Tivo see the native TivoServer?
Yea... Tivo Desktop works okay as does Galleon. Just PyTivo doesnt show up.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #2115
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Yea... Tivo Desktop works okay as does Galleon. Just PyTivo doesnt show up.
Have you tried rebooting your Tivo? Your Tivo probably just has a confused cache.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #2116
DrewS3

Does anyone know how to fix the #3-5-6 error when using pyTivo? I am running it on a Linkstation Pro NAS and I can click once or twice through the menu on the Tivo HD, then I will get the #3-5-6 error and it will boot me to the main menu.
DrewS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #2117
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Have you tried rebooting your Tivo? Your Tivo probably just has a confused cache.
I have but Ill do it again.

Something I noticed look at the PyTivo console, my Tivo only attempt to connect to PyTivo once. Is that normal?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #2118
cadmium

Any reason a particular video would transfer to a S2 Tivo, but fail on a TivoHD?

The videos in question http://www.msjphotography.com/
cadmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #2119
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post
Any reason a particular video would transfer to a S2 Tivo, but fail on a TivoHD?
You might want to elaborate on what you mean by "fail".

pyTivo transcodes differently for S2's vs. S3's; one particular problem is that it passes through the native framerate to an S3, which doesn't always work. (S2's always get 29.97 fps.)

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #2120
cadmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You might want to elaborate on what you mean by "fail".

pyTivo transcodes differently for S2's vs. S3's; one particular problem is that it passes through the native framerate to an S3, which doesn't always work. (S2's always get 29.97 fps.)
I'll select the video through the Tivo to transfer, start transfering and it will pretend it's transfering for a while, but stay at 0 and after a few minutes just stop altogether.

On the S2, all works as normal.

Is there any way around the fps issue?
cadmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #2121
MasterCephus

Just released an update to the MetaGenerator.

Get it here

Released notes are there as well.

(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #2122
BigAppleNYC

your software is great ... way more stable then TivoDesKtop and i can now finally playback Videos in 5.1 Audio. Great job .. it encodes faster as well... Wondering if i can play also just seperate ac3 encoded 5.1 audio files as well.... ? thanks for your work... You saved my houshold....
BigAppleNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #2123
grogdamighty

First off, my apologies if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything with the (limited) search capabilities on this site.

I've been using pyTivo on my wife's XP desktop with my Tivo HD for about 6 months now. I just installed the Windows 7 Beta on the computer and now am having problems getting pyTivo working. I would understand this given that it's beta software, but research leads me to believe that it's an inherited problem from Vista. So here's the problem...

Python (2.6.1 x86) and pyTivo (pyTivo-wgw-2008.10.15-RC1) install fine, but the desktop doesn't show up on the Tivo and the Now Playing list doesn't show up on the web version of TivoToGo (with MAK inputted). When I select Start Service, I get a console window that says "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied." I'm running from an administrator account and I've allowed pyTivo through my firewall.

Some Googling gave me this answer:
Quote:
This error message is displayed because the Windows Vista User Account Control (UAC) does not grant administrative rights to local users automatically. This applies even if the local users are members of the Administrative group.
I followed their somewhat shady suggestion to create a new DWORD registry value of LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy = 1 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Policies\System but that did not solve anything.

Any help, please? Remember my tech level = run Windows beta with confidence, < run Linux on my main computer.
grogdamighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #2124
dlfl
Cranky old novice

New Utility: MetaToExcel

MetaToExcel scans the pyTivo metadata files in a folder and creates an Excel spreadsheet with a row for each video and columns containing the metadata items you configure. It requires Excel 2003 and .NET 2.0.

See ***this thread in the pyTivo forum*** for details and download.

Thanks to user msmart for suggesting this program and for testing.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #2125
MasterCephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogdamighty View Post
First off, my apologies if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything with the (limited) search capabilities on this site.

I've been using pyTivo on my wife's XP desktop with my Tivo HD for about 6 months now. I just installed the Windows 7 Beta on the computer and now am having problems getting pyTivo working. I would understand this given that it's beta software, but research leads me to believe that it's an inherited problem from Vista. So here's the problem...

Python (2.6.1 x86) and pyTivo (pyTivo-wgw-2008.10.15-RC1) install fine, but the desktop doesn't show up on the Tivo and the Now Playing list doesn't show up on the web version of TivoToGo (with MAK inputted). When I select Start Service, I get a console window that says "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied." I'm running from an administrator account and I've allowed pyTivo through my firewall.

Some Googling gave me this answer:

I followed their somewhat shady suggestion to create a new DWORD registry value of LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy = 1 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Policies\System but that did not solve anything.

Any help, please? Remember my tech level = run Windows beta with confidence, < run Linux on my main computer.
I would try to open the command prompt as Administrator (if you can in version 7...you can in Vista), and then run the command line pyTivo and see what happens.

If that works, I would then try to set the service to run as the administrator and see what happens...

That's the problem with running beta stuff

Old 01-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #2126
grogdamighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
I would try to open the command prompt as Administrator (if you can in version 7...you can in Vista), and then run the command line pyTivo and see what happens.

If that works, I would then try to set the service to run as the administrator and see what happens...
When I select "pyTivo - console" and "Run as administrator," it says "Error. The pyTivo service is already running."

I'm new to this... all I've ever done is let it run as a service and not worry about it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #2127
MasterCephus

Quote:
When I select "pyTivo - console" and "Run as administrator," it says "Error. The pyTivo service is already running."

I'm new to this... all I've ever done is let it run as a service and not worry about it.
Go into your services list and stop the pyTivo service.

Then I would open a command prompt as an administrator and then go to the directory where pyTivo is and run the pyTivo.py script.

You should be able to see if any errors persist.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #2128
grogdamighty

Quote:
Checking to see if pyTivo is already running . . .

Starting pyTivo Server. Use ctrl+Break to exit.

C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\Cheetah\CacheRegion.py:30: DeprecationWarning: the
md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
import md5
2009-01-15 15:29:20,592 INFO pyTivo: pyTivo is ready.
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:29:43] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\Cheetah\Compiler.py:1508: UserWarning:
You don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! I'm disabling Cheetah's useStackFrames option as it is painfully slow with the Python version of NameMapper. You should get a copy of Cheetah with the compiled C version of NameMapper.
"\nYou don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! "
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:29:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Admin&Container=A
dmin HTTP/1.1" 200 -
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:31:49] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 -
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:31:55] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=NPL&Container=Adm
in HTTP/1.1" 200 -
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:34:20] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=NPL&Container=Adm
in HTTP/1.1" 200 -
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:34:53] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=SaveNPL&Container
=Admin&tivo_mak=**********&togo_path=C%3A%5CUsers%5C******** %5CVideos HTTP/1.1"
200 -
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:34:56] "GET /TiVoConnect?last_page=NPL&Command=Res
et&Container=Admin HTTP/1.1" 200 -
2009-01-15 15:34:56,295 INFO pyTivo.admin: pyTivo has been soft reset.
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Jan/2009 15:35:00] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=NPL&Container=Adm
in HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Maybe I've had a different problem all along? The above is what transpired in the command prompt window while I accessed the pyTivo config file with localhost:9032. The settings in this version (wgw-2008.10.15) look different than I recall from armooo's, so maybe I just don't have it configured, but nothing is showing up on my Tivo and my Now Playing list isn't showing up on TivoToGo despite correct MAK input.

Thanks for your help! My laptop would really appreciate if I could get the more powerful desktop to handle the pyTivo tasks.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #2129
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogdamighty View Post
Maybe I've had a different problem all along? The above is what transpired in the command prompt window while I accessed the pyTivo config file with localhost:9032. The settings in this version (wgw-2008.10.15) look different than I recall from armooo's, so maybe I just don't have it configured, but nothing is showing up on my Tivo and my Now Playing list isn't showing up on TivoToGo despite correct MAK input.

Thanks for your help! My laptop would really appreciate if I could get the more powerful desktop to handle the pyTivo tasks.
Post your conf file (make sure to black out your MAK,any passwords, and TSNs.)

Also, how many network adapters do you have in your machine? If you have more than one active adapter (say from VMware or some non-standard networking setup) pyTivo can get confused about which adapter to use for sending the advertising broadcasts and you need to create a slightly more specific becon line.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #2130
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
MetaToExcel scans the pyTivo metadata files in a folder and creates an Excel spreadsheet with a row for each video and columns containing the metadata items you configure. It requires Excel 2003 and .NET 2.0.

See ***this thread in the pyTivo forum*** for details and download.

Thanks to user msmart for suggesting this program and for testing.
TiVoPlayList now includes all of the detailed metadata information in the files created using the Export playlist function. This allows you to get information for all of the shows on your TiVo into files viewable by programs like Excel.

The above MetaToExcel program would only work for files that you have already transferred to your PC.

TiVoPlayList can create metadata files automatically when transferring files to a PC. It also has AutoDownload rules for transferring shows automatically and can run post-download processing commands to convert .tivo files to .mpg or other formats.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote