TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #2011
mbklein
Foreign Contaminant

You betcha.

"Once again mbklein pretty much told it like it is." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Thanks everyone! (Except mbklein.)" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #2012
rambler

nm
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #2013
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
can anyone point me to a simple one click solution to rip a DVD to a Tivo friendly format?

Thanks.
-Kevin
I use DVDFab

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #2014
Jkjowers

Could someone point me to an explanation on how to transfer PC movies into a TIVO FOLDER created using pyTivo. Someone tried to explain it to me before, but was assuming I knew much more about pyTivo meta files. So far I have only been able to just add a synopsis to movies or to default groups of movies inside computer folders. I am trying to learn from the previous example:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie
Can the output from Metagenerator be tweaked to group arbitrary files after transfer to the TiVo? I have files from a bunch of sources that I'd like to keep together on the TiVo's NPL.

Looking at the output .txt file, is one of these fields key to grouping in the eventual NPL?

Code:
title : Kids' Movies
episodeTitle : Learning to Ride
movieYear : 200X
description : Dan learns to ride a bike; Ben learns to ride a trike.
isEpisode : true
episodeNumber : YYYYY
seriesTitle : Kids' MoviesThanks for your attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Yes. You can insert a "seriesId" tag in the metadata file to get the files to group, provided that the seriesId you choose is one that is currently in your TiVo's guide data.
I'm still comfussed about what a "seriesId" is... I have tried to add one with the same name as a folder already on my TiVo without luck.

Help

Last edited by Jkjowers : 11-06-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Jkjowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #2015
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjowers View Post
I'm still comfussed about what a "seriesId" is... I have tried to add one with the same name as a folder already on my TiVo without luck.

Help
seriesId is actually a code that would have originally come from a TiVo which I believe in turn actually came from the guide data. It is used to group shows into series.

From the pyTivo website:

seriesId
Usually starts with "SH" and followed by 6-8 digits. TiVo uses this to allow for grouping once a program is transferred to a TiVo, provided the TiVo is set to grouping in the NPL (Now Playing List). Leaving this field blank or omitting doesn’t seem to cause any problems, except when it comes time to group when transferring to TiVo. Will not group without a series ID.

SH is for general TV shows.
MV is for movies (e.g. Amazon Unbox).
SP is for sports.
TS is for Tivocast content.

So something like SH012345 would be the right format, but if it is not a real SeriesID from the guide data, I'm not sure what the TiVo would do with it.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #2016
Jkjowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahoe View Post
seriesId is actually a code that would have originally come from a TiVo which I believe in turn actually came from the guide data. It is used to group shows into series.

From the pyTivo website:

Usually starts with "SH" and followed by 6-8 digits. TiVo uses this to allow for grouping once a program is transferred to a TiVo, provided the TiVo is set to grouping in the NPL (Now Playing List). Leaving this field blank or omitting doesn’t seem to cause any problems, except when it comes time to group when transferring to TiVo. Will not group without a series ID.
I understand that at least... but I am doing something wrong. I have a folder with two small WMV files in it. I give both the identical meta files with a seriesId that is:

seriesId : SHThe Office

Both copy seperatly with the title name (not in a folder). Should I use all upper case? Should I remove the space? Should I use only the first 8 letters? Should I use the same name in the "Title"?

It would help if someone could actaully show me a working seriesId and anything that must correspond to it.

I'm assuming you didn't actuall mean for me to use numbers only.

Last edited by Jkjowers : 11-07-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 AM   #2017
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjowers View Post
I'm assuming you didn't actuall mean for me to use numbers only.
He did. There is a program called MetaGenerator that is normally used with pyTivo. It is an executable program that will search the TV database (TVDB) for the appropriate metadata for particular TV shows. I use it quite a bit. I pulled up The Office, however, and there isn't a SeriesID listed. Not sure what to make of that, the other shows that I have looked up have all been listed. Maybe someone can pull an episode of the Office down and pull the SeriesID from the tivo header for you.

Jason

examples:
The Wire = SH507321
Heroes = SH848361
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #2018
txporter
One sec, almost done

Ok, with a little searching I found the way to pull the seriesID yourself (if you have a recorded episode of The Office on your tivo):

Replace <tivo ip> with the IP address of your tivo in the address below. This will pull up an XML view of your tivo recordings. You should be able to search for 'office' to jump down to an episode. The seriesID will be listed in the XML. That is the string you will need for your metadata.

Code:
https://<tivo ip>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes
Jason

Last edited by txporter : 11-07-2008 at 03:02 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #2019
Jkjowers

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
He did. There is a program called MetaGenerator that is normally used with pyTivo. It is an executable program that will search the TV database (TVDB) for the appropriate metadata for particular TV shows. I use it quite a bit. I pulled up The Office, however, and there isn't a SeriesID listed. Not sure what to make of that, the other shows that I have looked up have all been listed. Maybe someone can pull an episode of the Office down and pull the SeriesID from the tivo header for you.

Jason

examples:
The Wire = SH507321
Heroes = SH848361
Well that helps a lot. Thanks. I will start playing with MetaGenerator... I had always assumed I wouldn't need it. If I need access to a number code I will have to use it.

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #2020
txporter
One sec, almost done

Forgot to mention in my post above that you will also need your MAK in order to log onto your tivo.

Username=tivo
Password=MAK

Jason
Old 11-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #2021
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

I thought you were just interested in grouping home videos that didn't have a real SeriesID.

If it is a real show that you are transferring from your TiVo, if you use the latest version v0.64 of TiVoPlayList to transfer your file to your PC it can generate the metadata file automatically without the need for the MetaDataGenerator program.

Last edited by dcahoe : 01-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #2022
Jkjowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahoe View Post
I thought you were just interested in grouping home videos that didn't have a real SeriesID.

You were correct... I wanted to group assorted movies into a folder... any folder on Tivo. I delete shows after I watch them and have no need to keep anything. I decided on a simple solution. I will put a default.txt with seriesId : SH115264 in my Computer Tivo folder. So now everything I copy from my computer will be in a folder labled "EXTRA".

One question... if that horrible show with the same name is cancelled, will the seriesId stop working?

Last edited by Jkjowers : 11-07-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #2023
Rdian06

Yes, if the seriesID fails to be in the guide, then grouping will fail.

So if the show gets canceled and there are no re-runs on channels that are in your guide, then no grouping.

There are some special seriesIDs that you can use. One is for the Tivo Tours video folder and there is at least one for Home Movies, SH298935.

There are also some Movie seriesIDs you can try.

See

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/series-ids-t51.html

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #2024
Jkjowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Yes, if the seriesID fails to be in the guide, then grouping will fail.

So if the show gets canceled and there are no re-runs on channels that are in your guide, then no grouping.

There are some special seriesIDs that you can use. One is for the Tivo Tours video folder and there is at least one for Home Movies, SH298935.

There are also some Movie seriesIDs you can try.

See

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/series-ids-t51.html
thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #2025
Emillion

Question .iso files "prohibited"

Added ".iso" in the video.ext file, however they don't play. Same DVD saved as .vob (but in 3 or 4 files) - plays just fine. Any idea on how to get .iso to play? Thank you for pyTivo.
Emillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #2026
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion View Post
Added ".iso" in the video.ext file, however they don't play. Same DVD saved as .vob (but in 3 or 4 files) - plays just fine. Any idea on how to get .iso to play? Thank you for pyTivo.
You would have to extract the contents of the ".iso" file first. An .iso is just a disc image. I could contain anything.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #2027
Emillion

Question "Play folder" capability

Thank you Greg, but did you actually tried? The "error" message says something about "prohibited" and "copyright". Looks like it was able to identify the video content? And then the file gets the color red on the screen.
So let's say you have a DVD and you want to backup in one file and play it on your Tivo. Is there a way to do that? I guess a huge ".vob" file but I was wondering if a ".iso" would be possible?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #2028
Emillion

... and the "Play folder" question is about having the ability to transfer an entire folder at once - let's say with twenty music videos. And maybe combined with the "Play folder" command while it is still transferring? Cvasi-streaming with delete at the end?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #2029
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Thank you Greg, but did you actually tried? The "error" message says something about "prohibited" and "copyright". Looks like it was able to identify the video content? And then the file gets the color red on the screen.
So let's say you have a DVD and you want to backup in one file and play it on your Tivo. Is there a way to do that? I guess a huge ".vob" file but I was wondering if a ".iso" would be possible?
No never tried. But again, an .iso can contain anything. Doesn't make a lot of sense for pyTivo to mount it and assume it is a DVD movie.

I think the huge .vob is what others have suggested in the past when ripping.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #2030
Emillion

Right - but pyTivo is just transferring it - not trying to mount it - Tivo is actually playing it. Wondering if some flag can be set durring the ripping to get around the false "copyright" issue...
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #2031
Rdian06

Quote:
Under the hood, pyTivo uses ffmpeg to check each file to determine audio/video specs and whether ffmpeg can handle it if transcoding is required.

pyTivo chooses which files to run ffmpeg on based on the extensions defined in video.ext. But since ffmpeg cannot decipher the .iso file, the compatibility check fails and the info listing sent to the Tivo for the file has the "prohibited" flag set for convenience. It was easier to code it that way then just removing it from the listing entirely. And it normally is a visual cue to tell you something is wrong with that particular file.

What you're doing is essentially the same as asking Microsoft Word to open the .iso file and expecting it to just work given that no code exists to handle it.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #2032
Rdian06

Quote:
Right - but pyTivo is just transferring it - not trying to mount it - Tivo is actually playing it. Wondering if some flag can be set durring the ripping to get around the false "copyright" issue...
The Tivo cannot handle you just handing it a .iso file. It has no internal parser for that format. Yes, it's Linux under the hood, but the software as it currently is won't just mount it and start looking for video files.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #2033
Emillion

Got it - so pyTivo is actually setting the "prohibited" flag to prevent Tivo from complaining that it cannot play the file. Thought that it was just transferring with no ffmpeg on it. Thank you guys.
What about a "do folder" ability in pyTivo?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #2034
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
What about a "do folder" ability in pyTivo?
That's way outside the scope of what can be implemented on the pyTivo end of things. All pyTivo does is answer requests from the TiVo -- you'd have to get the TiVo to make those requests.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #2035
Emillion

Question

OK, TiVo cannot "transfer folders" but it can "play folders" - could HME/VLC or Tivostream stream a folder of music videos? If yes - could they also implement features like random order etc. that TiVo is missing?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #2036
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

In principle, yes, the HME-based apps could do it.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #2037
Emillion

Black bars on 16:9 source on 16:9 display

Using pyTivo to play VOBs from an external drive - most of the 16x9 vob files still show bars on top/bottom on a 16:9 display. Since they are MPEG2/AC3 files I assume pyTivo sees them as TiVo compatible and does not transcode. However the bars are bothering - looks like a TiVo problem? No matter what TiVo settings I try (or pyTivo) - they are still there. However I have found DVD-vob files that don't show the bars and the only difference between them looks to be the "player telecine" 3:2 pulldown. The files with bars show 23.976 pics/s but with 3:2 pulldown still 29.97 frames/s (NTSC), 720x480, sar 3:2, par 32:27, dar 16:9. The files that play full 16:9 screen are the same except they have 29.97 pics/s and don't require 3:2 pulldown.
Wondering if I could modify the pyTivo video pluggins to transcode the files that require telecine and make them run full 16x9 screen (looks like TiVo cannot do what a DVD player does?) Or is there another solution? Thank you.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #2038
TracySMiller

.mkv problems

Greetings,

I've been using pyTivo for at least ten months, and love it. I previously had great results using pyTivo to transfer .mkv movies and TV shows from my Windows Home Server to my S3 Tivo, but recently I've begun to get some video issues upon playback on the Tivo, mainly horizontal "bands" that blitz across the screen and cause momentary picture pixelation. This happens every five to ten seconds, and is sufficiently irritating as to make the movie/TV show unwatchable. I don't think the problem is in the source file, as when I stream it to another computer and watch it with Windows Media Center, it plays flawlessly. I think it is some kind of transcoding issue with pyTivo, but I'm not enough of a power user with pyTivo to figure it out.

I have the latest pyTivo, and about the only special settings I use are the "Hack83=True" and "ffmpeg_parm=-async 1"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TracySMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #2039
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySMiller View Post
Greetings,

I've been using pyTivo for at least ten months, and love it. I previously had great results using pyTivo to transfer .mkv movies and TV shows from my Windows Home Server to my S3 Tivo, but recently I've begun to get some video issues upon playback on the Tivo, mainly horizontal "bands" that blitz across the screen and cause momentary picture pixelation. This happens every five to ten seconds, and is sufficiently irritating as to make the movie/TV show unwatchable. I don't think the problem is in the source file, as when I stream it to another computer and watch it with Windows Media Center, it plays flawlessly. I think it is some kind of transcoding issue with pyTivo, but I'm not enough of a power user with pyTivo to figure it out.

I have the latest pyTivo, and about the only special settings I use are the "Hack83=True" and "ffmpeg_parm=-async 1"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrade to one of my newer Windows installers from:

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/updated-w...etas-t512.html

The wmcbrine fork one has my newer ffmpeg which might help and also fixes 5.1 audio mapping issues. However, some have reported xvid issues with my ffmpeg build included in that package. Haven't had time to track it down.

You can also drop the hack83 and async 1 flags. The newer Tivo software handles subfolders correctly so hack83 is obsolete. And we've added -copyts to the ffmpeg command by default to help with audio syncing which should make async not necessary.

Last edited by Rdian06 : 11-25-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to insert the URL the first time.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #2040
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmack View Post
My TV manufacturer recommends a resolution of 1366x768.
You can't use that for HD video. Well, maybe you can -- the S3 is pretty forgiving -- but it's not in the set of standard resolutions. Rather, they're telling you how to set the resolution on a computer's video card, if you hook it up to the set. But the TiVo will only output at one of the standard resolutions.

You'll have to explain what you mean by "letterboxed HD". My guess is that it is not, in fact, letterboxed, but rather cropped, and you're talking about something like 1280x544 or 1920x817. Yes?