TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #1981
ObiWanJenkins

I finally got pytivo to install, but now I'm having trouble accessing sub-folders on the Tivo. I can go one folder deep, but the system just shows the same sub-folders when I try to access the content inside them.
ObiWanJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #1982
Kershek

Yep, that's a current limitation. I think they explain on the pyTiVo forums the reason why you can only go one directory level deep.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #1983
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins View Post
I finally got pytivo to install, but now I'm having trouble accessing sub-folders on the Tivo. I can go one folder deep, but the system just shows the same sub-folders when I try to access the content inside them.
You will want to set the Server setting 'hack83 = true' and then restart pyTivo.

This more or less allows you to perform multi level folder search.

I thought TiVo had fixed this bug in a software release but maybe that is just for Series 3/HD models, i'm not sure.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #1984
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, the fix is in 9.4, which means the Series 2 hasn't gotten it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #1985
djithm
She's a Maneater

Simple question..Ive searched and havent found my answer. If my Tivo box is not active with Tivo, can this pyTivo program still work? I ask because I believe I have set everything up properly and I get one response from the Tivo via the Console window, but not every minute as the instructions mention. Again, this is a Tivo Series 2 that hasnt been active with Tivo in a while. I was just hoping to use the DVR for viewing my own content from a PC.
djithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #1986
Aflat

Installer

I'm a release engineer by trade, so I deal with installs all day. I'll see what I can do, it should be an easy fix. Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with git, so that may take more time then actually fixing the installer.
Aflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #1987
Aflat

Easy fix, hard commit

So the fix is easy, just change the function in pytivo.nsi to look like this

Code:
Function nsPythonCheck
  !insertmacro MUI_HEADER_TEXT $(nsPythonCheck_PAGE_TITLE) $(nsPythonCheck_PAGE_SUBTITLE)
  ReadRegStr $python HKLM SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.6\InstallPath ""
  ${If} '$python' == ''
	ReadRegStr $python HKLM SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\InstallPath ""
	${If} '$python' == ''
	  ReadRegStr $python HKLM SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.4\InstallPath ""
	  ${If} '$python' == ''
	    ReadRegStr $python HKCU SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\InstallPath ""
	    ${If} '$python' == ''
	      ReadRegStr $python HKCU SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.4\InstallPath ""
	      ${If} '$python' == ''
		    ReadRegStr $python HKLM SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore\2.6\InstallPath ""
			${If} '$python' == ''
			    ReadRegStr $python HKLM SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore\2.5\InstallPath ""
			    ${If} '$python' == ''
				  Push ${TEMP1}
				  InstallOptions::dialog "$PLUGINSDIR\nopython.ini"
				  Pop ${TEMP1}
				  Pop ${TEMP1}
		        ${EndIf}
			  ${EndIf} 
	        ${EndIf}
	      ${EndIf}
	    ${EndIf}
	  ${EndIf}
	${EndIf}
FunctionEnd
I added 2.6 python, and a check for 2.5 and 2.6 32 bit versions installed on a 64 bit system. This change won't be picked up until a new install is built, sorry folks, nothing oyu can change to make your current install just work.

Now I need to figure out Git, I can only seem to browse the trunk, but not the branches. This may all be better to put on the pytivo boards, but I'll throw it here for now. Once I figure it out, if someone hasn't submitted the change, I'll try to add it myself.
Aflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #1988
Rdian06

Inspired by Aflat's patch, I've figured out how to generate new Windows installers with krkeegan's old code.

I've created two new installers, one each for the latest snapshots from wgw and wmcbrine. (krkeegan's code hasn't been maintained in a long time and is best not used at this time, so I didn't bother to create a new installer for it.)

They're here:

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/updated-w...etas-t512.html

I've done very light testing on these, so please report back your results on the pyTivo forum. Especially if you run into problems.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #1989
rambler

Aspect ratio help needed!

I rip dvd's to my PC then use Pocketdivx encoder to make an avi. I can pull them to the Tivo fine, but when played, the widescreen dvd fills my entire 4:3 tv. The Tivo itself can be set for 4:3 or widescreen, either way it looks the same. The Tivo is an S2 540 model.

Here's my entire pytivo.conf file; I know I have to mess with this but don't know where to begin, thanks for any help:

[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=C:\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

[My Videos]
type=video
path=C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My TiVo Recordings

[Admin]
type=admin
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #1990
Rdian06

rambler, what version of pyTivo are you using?

if it's an older one, switch to wgw's fork as I think he was doing some work on similar problems recently.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #1991
rambler

I just DL'd and installed it a month ago. Not sure where I got it from, I think from a link in the first post of this thread.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #1992
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
I just DL'd and installed it a month ago. Not sure where I got it from, I think from a link in the first post of this thread.
If you installed via the Windows installer a month ago, you definitely got a very old version. The official Windows installer hasn't been updated since early May.

Try uninstalling what you have and installed my new wgw based windows installer form here:

Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #1993
wgw

Yes, you might have a really old version. I believe that the latest versions will default the output for 4:3 display if the tivo is a 540. You might try using the aspect button on the remote to adjust the display.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wgw : 10-21-2008 at 10:20 PM.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #1994
captainDlp

pyTivo newbie

Thanks for the great SW. I just resolved a network conflict to get my XP box serving vids. Does pyTivo (or one of its derivatives) offer streaming capabilities or just transcoding and transfers?
captainDlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #1995
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo will always be transfers, not streaming. However, you should explain why you want streaming -- what you think the benefits would be.

HME/VLC and tivostream offer streaming. The main advantage, at the moment, is that they can send MPEG-4 (h.264) without reencoding. HME/VLC also supports Internet streams, rather than just local files.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #1996
rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
If you installed via the Windows installer a month ago, you definitely got a very old version. The official Windows installer hasn't been updated since early May.

Try uninstalling what you have and installed my new wgw based windows installer form here:

Bad to worse. Installed as service, no go. Removed. Installed as console, no go. Console says: pytivo is stopped. NameError: name 'logging' is not defined.

Also it never asked for MAK - am I imagining it or was that part of the install from the old windows installer version?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #1997
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
Bad to worse. Installed as service, no go. Removed. Installed as console, no go. Console says: pytivo is stopped. NameError: name 'logging' is not defined.

Also it never asked for MAK - am I imagining it or was that part of the install from the old windows installer version?
The MAK isn't needed unless you want to pull video off your Tivo onto your PC. pyTivo can do this, but primarily it's for sending video to the Tivo which doesn't need the MAK.

The newer pyTivo's depend on the Python logging module which I thought was auto installed with the Python Windows installer. How did you install Python? Maybe upgrade to Python 2.6 from www.python.org

Old 10-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #1998
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The logging package is part of the standard library, since Python 2.3.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #1999
rambler

All set now, thanks guys. Deleted several versions of Python and pyTivo, did fresh install of both and all looks good now.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #2000
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
pyTivo will always be transfers, not streaming. However, you should explain why you want streaming -- what you think the benefits would be.

HME/VLC and tivostream offer streaming. The main advantage, at the moment, is that they can send MPEG-4 (h.264) without reencoding. HME/VLC also supports Internet streams, rather than just local files.
For WAF (more pertinently, 7-year-oldAF), the pyTivo server sitting in the NPL works well. What doesn't work well with pyTivo is HD programming going:
TiVoHD > PC for edit with VideoReDo and archive > 24/7 HTPC serving the archive and running pyTivo > back to the TiVoHD via pyTivo as a TTCB substitute
It works, but even on our end-to-end wired network it doesn't quite stream in real time. We essentially have SD on demand but not HD.

Assuming that the smaller h.264 files will stream in real time, I'd be happy to have Handbrake grind out the files. Saved server space would be a small but appreciated bonus.

To be clear, this is completely driven by ease-of-use. Since the TiVoHD in question needs to be operated by a seven-year-old (and by TiVo-naive grandparents, babysitters and so forth), I'm trying to avoid solutions that involve leaving the NPL and digging through Music, Photos & More. Leaving the list of shows to go get more shows doesn't faze me, but it does seem to get that non-intuitive frown from the intermittent TiVo users.

Final note: I do appreciate all the work from the current and former pyTivo and HME developers. I know there's always a tension between exciting new capabilities and packing up the existing capabilities so that idiots like me can use them. I hope folks join me in supporting William and others so they can afford to devote more time (or afford a development S2) to our TiVo enjoyment.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #2001
captainDlp

Streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

By streaming, I'm hoping to serve up a variety of video formats in SD and HD (mostly MPEG2) from my central PC without taking up space on my Tivo or waiting for a large transfer to complete. Once I record a program that is worth saving, I transfer it to my PC, remove the commercials and store it. I'm trying to determine what the size, quality, speed, and re-encoding effort are to do this. The internet streams would also be nice. If I understand correctly, pyTivo can keep up with SD for quasi-streaming but transferring HD is non realtime? Any suggestions?

Also, I can see programs in the NPL but can't transfer them. The tivo replaces the name of the program to be transferred with the first item in the list or occasionally (occasionally it will stalls out waiting to bring up the program info/start transfer page even with directory transversal turned off). Ideas??

Last edited by captainDlp : 10-24-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #2002
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainDlp View Post

Also, I can see programs in the NPL but can't transfer them. The tivo replaces the name of the program to be transferred with the first item in the list or occasionally (occasionally it will stalls out waiting to bring up the program info/start transfer page even with directory transversal turned off). Ideas??
How old is your version of pyTivo? I've never seen any of that weirdness with the current versions. The only time pyTivo made my Tivo stall was completely my fault (I was debugging code and caused pyTivo to crash in the middle of handing back the show list.)

So try upgrading to a newer revision.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #2003
Rdian06

pyTivo's ability to stream HD files back to your Tivo depends on a few factors:

1) Tivo S3 and Tivo HD's have pretty low max transfer speed when it comes TTCB (aka sending video to the Tivo). I think it tops out at under 20Mbps, probably more like 12Mbps to 14Mbps. The Tivo S3 has a slightly higher max than the HD, but recent Tivo software upgrades got them closer. And max transfer speed can normally only be achieved if you tune your two tuners to cable channels that you don't receive and come in all black.

2) If you're shipping Tivo compatible MPEG2 HD to the Tivo and avoiding the on the fly transcode, then you're bound by 1). As long as the overall bitrate of the stream doesn't exceed the max transfer capability, you can watch in realtime.

3) If your source needs to be transcoded on the fly, the conversion to MPEG2 is processor intensive so a faster machine will tend to allow for a faster transfer to a point. My main pyTivo server is currently a Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 tower. Transcoding HD material on it I get about 20 fps on video that is 24 fps native. So in my case I'm CPU bound and I can watch HD in near realtime. Intel Core 2 Duo based machines are supposed to handle the ffmpeg transcode pretty well so I'm hoping to acheive realtime HD for most stuff once I reshuffle my hardware.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #2004
captainDlp

NPL problem update

Quote:
Also, I can see programs in the NPL but can't transfer them. The tivo replaces the name of the program to be transferred with the first item in the list or occasionally (occasionally it will stalls out waiting to bring up the program info/start transfer page even with directory traversal turned off). Ideas??
I finally got some transfers to work by 1) removing the directory traversal setting 2) changing to a directory that is not the root drive and 3) removing all .tivo and .mp4 files from that dir. I can get mpeg 2 files and an .mkv. Not sure which step fixed it but its a start. I have pytivo v2008.05.02.

Did I read that .tivo files need a _tivo_ marker in for the .conf section? Also, if I have an .mkv (or others) that have to be transcoded, is it better to download the transcoded file from the tivo and replace the original to reduce transfer time or is there loss of quality??

Some good info on transcoding limitations. I have the tivoHD.

Last edited by captainDlp : 10-25-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: new info
Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #2005
PaulS

Quote:
Also, if I have an .mkv (or others) that have to be transcoded, is it better to download the transcoded file from the tivo and replace the original to reduce transfer time or is there loss of quality??
Most likely yes. This will save you from having to transcode the file on every transfer from the PC to the TiVo. At that point, your transfer speeds should only be bounded by your hard disk read rate and your network throughput between the PC and TiVo.

Transcodes (especially HD ones) are quite CPU intensive, and you'll need a fairly beefy machine in order to transcode+transfer at real-time speeds.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #2006
captainDlp

Is there an easy way to playback a vob tree? I would like to rip DVDs without touching the authored files but it looks like I would need to watch the individual vob files one at a time from the tivo?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #2007
jcthorne

I am not quite sure what you are asking for here. Tivo will not play unmodified VOBs as is. Well, without at least changing the file extension.

You can rip a single tree to a single large VOB with out transcoding and then rename it a .mpg file and Tivo will accept/play it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #2008
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I am not quite sure what you are asking for here. Tivo will not play unmodified VOBs as is. Well, without at least changing the file extension.
This doesn't seem to be true (anymore?). I just tried this last night, and it played an untouched VOB file just fine (though it got confused at the end and said it was waiting to download more even though it was finished).

I too would love for pytivo to understand how to find the "next" vob automatically so it could just keep on going.

Assuming that isn't happening anytime soon, can anyone point me to a simple one click solution to rip a DVD to a Tivo friendly format?

Thanks.
-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #2009
mbklein
Foreign Contaminant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Assuming that isn't happening anytime soon, can anyone point me to a simple one click solution to rip a DVD to a Tivo friendly format?
Handbrake

"Once again mbklein pretty much told it like it is." --

"Thanks everyone! (Except mbklein.)" --
mbklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #2010
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbklein View Post
Thank you sir. Thank you very much.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote