TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #1951
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Since there is no rate limit on the stream being passed to the TiVo, your distinction is rather moot.
Either you didn't read what I wrote, or can't understand it. Regardless, there is most definitely a difference between the transcode bit rate and the transmission bit rate. If you've been paying attention, wgw has proven this most conclusively here and at the pytivo forums. Apparently, you haven't been, so I'll illustrate.

There are THREE maximum values that we need to pay attention to when transferring videos to a TiVo. Exceeding SOME of them will cause playback problems on the TiVo.

The maximum bit rate ("max_video_br") specifies the maximum bitrate at which a video may encode video. It's defaulted to 17Mbps in pyTivo. Usually, this handles spikes in the encode rate when there's a lot of motion or a scene transition. Exceeding this value caused picture break-ups during playout. Typically, videos play out at a much lower rate (8-10Mpbs). I don't expect that 9.3a fixed this, as it's probably a hardware constraint on the TiVo itself.

The video bit rate ("video_br") specifies the ENCODING bit rate for ffmpeg when a transcode is necessary. I can't recall off the top of my head if it uses a VBR, CBR or ABR algorithm. This is currently defaulted to 8Mbps, as seen as a resonable compromise between encoding CPU utilization, file size and picture quality. Previous defaults of 10 and 12Mbps didn't seem to impact picture quality negatively, so they might be considered usable values for someone desiring a higher level of picture quality for their encodes.

The transmission bit rate (no pytivo configuration option) specifies how quickly your PC transfers the video to your TiVo. This is not a direct function of pytivo (really, ffmpeg). It is highly dependent upon other factors, such as the speed of your PC and network. Faster machines running on faster networks (i.e. dual-core running on a gigabit wired) can throw the video at the TiVo faster than a slower one (i.e. P3 running on an 802.11b network).

wgw has shown that pre-9.3a versions of the TiVo hardware would suffer macroblocking and picture breakups when the transmission rate exceeded 8Mbps. See HERE for details. Reducing the speed of the NETWORK TRANSFER alone resolved the playout problems he was experiencing on his TiVo. This mirrors the problems that people were seeing when doing TTG/TTCB transfers of known good content.

You would typically see this situation in cases where transcoding was NOT required. Such as a .tivo file from a TTG transfer, or the file is already digestable by an S3/THD because it's MPEG-2. Ordinarily the CPU utilization of the transcode operation is the bottleneck, as I've only hard of one pyTivo machine (an 8-core Mac!!!) that could possible transcode fast enough to encounter this problem. On files that don't need to be transcoded, all you're really doing is copying the file from the PC to the TiVo. In this case, even lowly PCs can transmit the files at speeds that cause the TiVo problems.

The guess behind the root cause of the problem is that some portion of the TiVo network receive logic was being overwhelmed and caused the recordings to get munged. It's my guess that this is what has been fixed with the 9.3a drop. If that's the case, there isn't a pyTivo configuration option that needs to be altered to take advantage of this.

Quote:
I also don't really know what else to call transcoding with a maximum bit rate set other than rate limited. Nonetheless, the version of pyTiVo which I have automatically transcodes any video whose bitrate exceeds a certain threshold and drops the bit rate to something like 8Mbps. I don't recall the actual threshold at the moment. It's mentioned further up in this thread, but the bottom line is it is no longer necessary. It was a stop-gap measure in any case, because the transcoded video looks terrible. My question remains: how do I get pyTiVo to stop this behavior now it is no longer necessary?
Incorrect assumption. See above.

Last edited by PaulS : 04-20-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: more explanation added
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #1952
moyekj

Serving back raw streams using pyTivo?

As some of you may be aware it's possible to pull the raw, encrypted transport stream from S3/THD units by specifying a change in video format. For example, in the usual download url:
Code:
http://192.168.1.101/download/Battlestar%20Galactica.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1643604&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg
Simply replace x-tivo-mpeg with x-tivo-raw-tts so the above becomes:
Code:
http://192.168.1.101/download/Battlestar%20Galactica.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1643604&Format=video/x-tivo-raw-tts
What this accomplishes is you get MRV speed downloads to your PC instead of normal TTG speeds since the originating Tivo doesn't have to do any work re-muxing or re-encrypting, it's simply passing along the raw recording to your PC. This results in ~ 2x speedup for downloads in my experience.

So that's great, so I can double my download speeds using this method, however there is not much I can do on the PC side with the resulting .TiVo file since I can't break it's encryption (that may be the subject of a different thread). But what would be useful is if I could feed back the raw .TiVo files back to my Tivos using pyTivo. So I guess what I'm asking is would it be possible to have pyTivo serve back to Tivos in raw format using the x-tivo-raw-tts tag instead of the usual x-tivo-mpeg tag?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #1953
FreydNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post
all of a sudden tivohd cannot see any of the videos in my share folder. is this because of 9.3?
Just a shot in the dark, but could this be related to the recently expired tivo certificate?

TivoPony's post about the new version of TivoDesktop and the need to update the cert on older versions are here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=390214

Instructions for upgrading the TivoDesktop cert is here:
http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...B-AF1D09BBEA9E
FreydNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #1954
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Can the output from Metagenerator be tweaked to group arbitrary files after transfer to the TiVo? I have files from a bunch of sources that I'd like to keep together on the TiVo's NPL.

Looking at the output .txt file, is one of these fields key to grouping in the eventual NPL?

Code:
title : Kids' Movies
episodeTitle : Learning to Ride
movieYear : 200X
description : Dan learns to ride a bike; Ben learns to ride a trike.
isEpisode : true
episodeNumber : YYYYY
seriesTitle : Kids' Movies
Thanks for your attention.
    ), CC)
  • Roamio+ (3TB, CC)
  • inactive S2, damaged (power?) Premiere
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #1955
ojag

Hello, I used to use pyTivo on my PC but I got a Macbook a few months ago and I'm having a little trouble following the installation instructions on the website. Would anyone be willing to walk me through it? If so, can you please PM me? Thanks.
ojag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #1956
dizziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
wgw has shown that pre-9.3a versions of the TiVo hardware would suffer macroblocking and picture breakups when the transmission rate exceeded 8Mbps. See HERE for details. Reducing the speed of the NETWORK TRANSFER alone resolved the playout problems he was experiencing on his TiVo. This mirrors the problems that people were seeing when doing TTG/TTCB transfers of known good content.
Its worth noting that I am the 8-core user, and I'm lucky to hit 29% CPU usage due to ffmpeg's limitation on multithreading and TivoHD's TTG network bottleneck. So I expect you could have faster than realtime conversion with a quad core 2.6/2.8 machine as well. No need to go 8-core!
dizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #1957
dizziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
xvid avi's have the same audio problems as mkv's, and probably any other file type encoded with ac3 audio. People just notice it more with mkv's because they are commonly encoded with ac3 while other file types are more commonly encoded with low bitrate mp3 or aac audio. As long as the ac3 audio is encoded at 448k or less, pytivo will handle it properly if you do not override pytivos default audio codec settings.
This will also happen with Apple Trailers Quicktime HD downloads that have 5.1 AAC soundtracks. The channels map incorrectly.
dizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #1958
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
Can the output from Metagenerator be tweaked to group arbitrary files after transfer to the TiVo? I have files from a bunch of sources that I'd like to keep together on the TiVo's NPL.

Looking at the output .txt file, is one of these fields key to grouping in the eventual NPL?

Code:
title : Kids' Movies
episodeTitle : Learning to Ride
movieYear : 200X
description : Dan learns to ride a bike; Ben learns to ride a trike.
isEpisode : true
episodeNumber : YYYYY
seriesTitle : Kids' Movies
Thanks for your attention.

Yes. You can insert a "seriesId" tag in the metadata file to get the files to group, provided that the seriesId you choose is one that is currently in your TiVo's guide data.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #1959
lgkahn

hi looking at pursueing adding .tmf support to tytivo since no one has responded.. I am able to convert .tmf in place to the original .xml
and a .mpg

any ideas where this needs to be hooked into ty tivo..

here is a batch file I call for conversion

C:\utils>cat tmfconv.bat
@ECHO OFF

REM Extract xml and ty files
7z -y e %1 showing.xml

REM rename xml file
makeshowing %1

REM convert to mpg
tytompg.exe -y %1

as far as I can tell the last step could be run instead of ffmpeg since it could output a .mpg stream and no further transcoding would be necessary

thanks in advance.
lgkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #1960
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkahn View Post
hi looking at pursueing adding .tmf support to tytivo since no one has responded.. I am able to convert .tmf in place to the original .xml
and a .mpg

any ideas where this needs to be hooked into ty tivo..

here is a batch file I call for conversion

C:\utils>cat tmfconv.bat
@ECHO OFF

REM Extract xml and ty files
7z -y e %1 showing.xml

REM rename xml file
makeshowing %1

REM convert to mpg
tytompg.exe -y %1

as far as I can tell the last step could be run instead of ffmpeg since it could output a .mpg stream and no further transcoding would be necessary

thanks in advance.
Without getting deep into code details, it looks possible...

As long as tytompg can output to a stream instead of a file, there doesn't seem to be much in the way, at least on Windows. Are the tytools crossplatform? pyTiVo runs on MacOS and Linux too, and the developers try to maintain feature compatibility across the platforms. pyTiVo is setup as a plugin system, so each type of media (music, photos, webvideo(feeds), video, etc.) has it's own plugin. So a ty plugin could be attempted without messing with the other parts of pyTiVo.

Most of the technical discussion is happening over at the pyTiVo forum:
http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #1961
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post
Its worth noting that I am the 8-core user, and I'm lucky to hit 29% CPU usage due to ffmpeg's limitation on multithreading and TivoHD's TTG network bottleneck. So I expect you could have faster than realtime conversion with a quad core 2.6/2.8 machine as well. No need to go 8-core!
Was that for HD or SD sources ? I'm assuming HD...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #1962
PaulS

Quote:
OK, now that they've fixed TTCB on the S3, there's no longer any reason to rate shape any videos. Doing so fixed the stuttering and stammering, but it made the video look terrible. How can I change the config file so pyTiVo no longer rate limits at all?
wgw has made a change to his pyTivo branch HERE to accomodate for fixes made in 9.3a :

Quote:
increase max_video_br due to tivo 9.3a software fix

The 17408k maxrate limit appears to be fixed with pytivo 9.3a in
my tests since receiving the upgrade last week. I'm increasing
max_video_br so that all known HD bitrates are passed without
transcoding unless the user lowers the setting to force transcoding
of problem files. Any remaining problems with mpeg transfers
appear to fixable by doing a VideoReDo QuickSteam Fix or similar
mpeg repair. But I'm not removing maxrate and bufsize options
from the ffmpeg template because my tests show they are still
needed to correct errors in source files which result in playback
problems when these settings are removed. Increasing maxrate to
30000k does not appear to introduce any playback problems in my
tests of transcodes sent to S2 and S3 tivos.
Note that this change is to the MAX VIDEO BITRATE, which is responsible for handling peaks of activity during encodes.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #1963
lrhorer

Understanding

Quote:
Either you didn't read what I wrote, or can't understand it.
I read it and I understand it. Would it help if I pointed out I used to be a Video Engineer, and I am now a Network Engineer?

Quote:
Regardless, there is most definitely a difference between the transcode bit rate and the transmission bit rate.
Of course there is, but the effects I have seen have nothing to do with the transmission bit rate. The transmission bit rate is determined by a number of network and workstation factors. Transmission rates in excess of 116 Mbps have been reported without issues using the backport drivers. I am using the stock drivers, and so rarely enjoy much greater than 17 Mbps from the PC to the TiVo using pyTiVo or Galleon. From the TiVo to the PC I usually get about 30 Mbps, sometimes up to 40 Mbps using TyTool on the 100M Ethernet port.

Quote:
If you've been paying attention, wgw has proven this most conclusively here and at the pytivo forums.
I submit the use of the phrase "most conclusively" is ill advised. Certainly the results of my own testing do not bear out the assertions you are making. As always, one person's mileage may vary compared with another's.

Quote:
There are THREE maximum values that we need to pay attention to when transferring videos to a TiVo. Exceeding SOME of them will cause playback problems on the TiVo.
'Not any longer. Release 9.3 has fixed the issues. Galleon, TiVo Desktop, and pyTiVo with no configuration options now can all deliver picture perfect HD content without transcoding. As an example, my copy of Judgment at Nuremberg is 2:58:29 in length and consists of 23,214 MB of steam data, which is an average of 17.34 Mbps. Power DVD reports peak bit rates as high as 18.82 Mbps during the first 3 minutes of the film. It now transfers perfectly without transcoding at over 16 Mbps. Previously it had problems in the video even if the network transfer were as slow as 5 Mbps, and indeed I noted qualitatively the same level of artifacts no matter what the network transfer speed. Conversely, if the video were transcoded to limit the video bit rate, few or no video problems were observed even at network transfer speeds in excess of 16 Mbps.
Quote:
Exceeding this value caused picture break-ups during playout. Typically, videos play out at a much lower rate (8-10Mpbs). I don't expect that 9.3a fixed this, as it's probably a hardware constraint on the TiVo itself.
Since every single one of the HD videos on my server came from the TiVos themselves, and since a number of them frequently exceed 17 Mbps, this statement was demonstrated to be total nonsense even before the release of 9.3. Since 9.3 has completely eliminated all such artifacts including in streams whose peaks exceed 20 Mbps, it's doubly nonsense. With the exception of a number of SD videos (mostly Bogart films and Star Trek episodes), very few of the 300+ videos on the server average less than 12Mbps, and most average above 15Mbps. Several of the Blue Planet episodes peak in excess of 20.0 Mbps. All were originally recorded on the TiVos - many prior to 9.3, and since 9.3 they all play perfectly when transferred back to one of the TiVos from the server.

Quote:
The video bit rate ("video_br") specifies the ENCODING bit rate for ffmpeg when a transcode is necessary. I can't recall off the top of my head if it uses a VBR, CBR or ABR algorithm. This is currently defaulted to 8Mbps, as seen as a resonable compromise between encoding CPU utilization, file size and picture quality. Previous defaults of 10 and 12Mbps didn't seem to impact picture quality negatively, so they might be considered usable values for someone desiring a higher level of picture quality for their encodes.
Setting video_br to 12 results in HORRIBLE looking video if the original is 1080i in excess of 15Mbps.

Quote:
The transmission bit rate
I am well aware of what is involved in networking and the various parameters affecting network performance, thanks.

Quote:
wgw has shown that pre-9.3a versions of the TiVo hardware would suffer macroblocking and picture breakups when the transmission rate exceeded 8Mbps. See
I have seen that report. It is not backed up by my own testing.

Quote:
Ordinarily the CPU utilization of the transcode operation is the bottleneck, as I've only hard of one pyTivo machine (an 8-core Mac!!!) that could possible transcode fast enough to encounter this problem.
My video server has a 3.0GHz dual core Athlon 64 running Debian "Etch" Linux. I never saw it hit 100% utilization on both cores when transcoding, but then I really wasn't paying all that much attention to the CPU utilization. It certainly was able to transcode and transfer at near-real time, which in the case of most of the testing I did was around 12 Mbps, sometimes exceeding 16Mbps.

Quote:
The guess behind the root cause of the problem is that some portion of the TiVo network receive logic was being overwhelmed and caused the recordings to get munged.
Since the TTCB transfers are TCP, your guess lacks credibility. TCP itself would have slowed the transfers if any of the packets were corrupt after assembly at the Rx port. Not only that, but since 9.3 works just fine with the same kernel as 9.2, displaying no issues with said kernel, your guess holds water about as well as a sieve. It was almost surely an issue with the TiVo's encryption routine, although I suppose it's possible the MFS code could have been responsible. The fact the artifacts would show up in exactly the same spot for a given video no matter how fast or slow the transfer or what other network processes were in play on the TiVo as well as the fact MRV transfers were just fine at faster than real-time lend credence to the faulty encryption hypothesis, and make the MFS hypothesis less likely. None of these facts support the notion there was a problem with the network drivers, and the fact the TiVo was more than capable of encrypting not one but TWO streams well in excess of 16 Mbps pretty much blows the notion a 12 Mbps network stream was too fast for the TiVo in any sense right out of the water.

Quote:
Incorrect assumption. See above.
There were no assumptions of any sort in the statements you quoted.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #1964
mbklein
Foreign Contaminant

Quote:
Yes. You can insert a "seriesId" tag in the metadata file to get the files to group, provided that the seriesId you choose is one that is currently in your TiVo's guide data.
I realize this is an old post, but I've been digging around and discovered that the listings at zap2it.com contain consistent series/episode IDs to my guide data. For example, the zap2it URLs for today's episode and the episode guide for Live at Lincoln Center are:
Quote:
(Protocol removed to prevent vBulletin from truncating the URLs...)
tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCProgram.do?method=getDetail&pgmId=EP000176120155&sch=1221759000000&stn=11463&chn=14
tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCProgram.do?t=Live+From+Lincoln+Center&sId=EP00017612&method=getEpisodesForShow
And the same episode from the XML version of my TiVo's Now Playing list:
Quote:
<ProgramId>EP0176120155</ProgramId>
<SeriesId>SH017612</SeriesId>
ProgramId = the "pgmID" parameter from the episode detail URL (with a couple leading zeros truncated), and SeriesID = a slightly altered version of the sId parameter from the Episode Guide (likewise). That should make it pretty easy to figure out the proper IDs without having to muck around in the guide data (or wait for an episode to record so you can hijack its ID).

"Once again mbklein pretty much told it like it is." --

"Thanks everyone! (Except mbklein.)" --
mbklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #1965
Rdian06

Yes, that's the basis for some of the automated metadata generators. See:

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/other-apps-f5.html

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #1966
mbklein
Foreign Contaminant

Ah, OK. Sorry about that. Even with search, it's kinda hard to keep up with what's already been figured out.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #1967
Ely105

Not sure if there is a thread already out there on this. I have read through many posts and tried several things. I have a TivoHD with 9.4 and 2TB of storage. I am trying to find out if there is a tweaking guide for ffmpeg to get out better performance on the transcoding of videos. I'm a bit of an HD snob so i prefer to have videos that are HD, or at least semi HD. I am using a reasonably newer dual-core PC.

For several of the videos I am trying to watch, i get between 19-25 fps. Most of these are at 24 fps, so i'd really like to get a little more throughput so that I can watch immediately and it could keep up.

The files that I am using are MKV and are 1280 x 544 or similar Res. they are h.264 with AC3 streams.

Things I have tried:
I have tried to force the resolution settings, but i find that it doesn't change much, and ffmpeg is doing fine at detecting the audio/video.

I have reduced the BW from the default of 8, down to 4k. This seemed to help, but of course it comes at a quality penalty. So i'm trying to see if I can keep the bitrate up or at least in the 8k range.

I've added "-threads 2" to the ffmpeg command, but i am only seeing about 50-60% CPU (core) utilization. I don't know if the x264 and mpeg2 codecs really thread much to take advantage of multiple cores? Are there any other ways to help improve core utilization?

I was wondering if the ffmpeg (from windows installer) is optimized for the latest processors with all the mmx, sse and other extensions? I have read some people using Mencoder as an alternative to ffmpeg, but it seems there are problems there as well.

I suppose one option would be for me to re-encode (or remux) the .mkv files into .mp4 files and use tivostream on them. But I like the ability to throw just about any video at pytivo and having it transcode. I know there is a little quality loss in the process, but from what i've seen so far, it's pretty damn good.

-Mark
Ely105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #1968
Kershek

Some suggestions....

Try increasing the priority of the pyTivo process, if that is possible. Here's the step-by-step procedure: http://www.anythingtips.com/windows/...riority-level/

Is your CPU speed the bottleneck? Have you tried overclocking?

Have you defragmented your hard drive lately?
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #1969
Ely105

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I did try to raise the process priority, but no real diff.

i think it's a 2 Ghz based system, but it's not overclockable.

I need to compare it to another system I have and see what the difference in perf is.

It's pulling the file off my NAS, but I get between 20-30MB/s transfer speeds so i don't think that's an issue.

I will look for any fragmentation issues.

I looked at memory utilization and it seems like there is no issues there.

It's running on a fairly lean copy of XP with not a lot of other stuff running.
Ely105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #1970
Jkjowers

Quote:
I have also been trying to figure out how to group things on my Tivo. I suppose I will have to sound like an idiot... please define "one that is currently in your TiVo's guide data".

Thanks
Jkjowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #1971
ObiWanJenkins

How do I get the Windows installer to see that I have Python installed? I've read numerous posts that mention it has to find it, but nothing to instruct how to direct it.
ObiWanJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #1972
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjowers View Post
I have also been trying to figure out how to group things on my Tivo. I suppose I will have to sound like an idiot... please define "one that is currently in your TiVo's guide data".

Thanks
"one that is currently in your TiVo's guide data" = A show that is being broadcast on one of the feeds into your Tivo. So if you just have over the air signals going into your Tivo, your Tivo guide data sent from Tivo corporate will only include your locals. No HBO or Showtime seriesIDs. Likewise if a show isn't being actively broadcasted, it won't show up in the Tivo guide data.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #1973
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins View Post
How do I get the Windows installer to see that I have Python installed? I've read numerous posts that mention it has to find it, but nothing to instruct how to direct it.
How did you install Python? Assuming you used the Windows installers from python.org, the Windows installer will just find it.

If you installed Python 2.6 that JUST came out a few days ago, then the Windows installer won't find it. The person who maintains the Windows installer hasn't been active lately and the last update was back in early May. No idea when he'll have time to work on it again.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #1974
mbklein
Foreign Contaminant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
"one that is currently in your TiVo's guide data" = A show that is being broadcast on one of the feeds into your Tivo. So if you just have over the air signals going into your Tivo, your Tivo guide data sent from Tivo corporate will only include your locals. No HBO or Showtime seriesIDs. Likewise if a show isn't being actively broadcasted, it won't show up in the Tivo guide data.
Interesting tidbit: I used the seriesID of a show I knew I'd never record as a way to group a bunch of related recordings that I couldn't get a valid seriesID for. The seriesTitle and episodeTitle behaved as expected, but when I sort folders by name, the folder (which starts with 'M') shows up sorted with the T's because the seriesID I hijacked is for a show that starts with T. So TiVo displays what I want, but sorts it according to its internal seriesID index.

So if you hijack a seriesID for your own use, make sure the first few letters of its seriesTitle match your show's seriesTitle.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #1975
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbklein View Post
Interesting tidbit: I used the seriesID of a show I knew I'd never record as a way to group a bunch of related recordings that I couldn't get a valid seriesID for. The seriesTitle and episodeTitle behaved as expected, but when I sort folders by name, the folder (which starts with 'M') shows up sorted with the T's because the seriesID I hijacked is for a show that starts with T. So TiVo displays what I want, but sorts it according to its internal seriesID index.

So if you hijack a seriesID for your own use, make sure the first few letters of its seriesTitle match your show's seriesTitle.
Strange, I thought on my S3 when I hijacked a seriesID, the folder name (after transferring two episodes) became that of the hijacked series title as taken from the guide data and not the seriesTitle I specified. That is if you just transfer one record, then it uses your seriesTitle. But once the second recording with the hijacked seriesID is transferred, the grouping kicks in and the title is taken from the guide.

I'll have to retest later. mbklein, what Tivo do you have?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #1976
ObiWanJenkins

Quote:
How did you install Python? Assuming you used the Windows installers from python.org, the Windows installer will just find it.

If you installed Python 2.6 that JUST came out a few days ago, then the Windows installer won't find it. The person who maintains the Windows installer hasn't been active lately and the last update was back in early May. No idea when he'll have time to work on it again.
I installed python 2.5.2 x64 from python.org through the normal Windows installer. But pyTivo doesn't detect it.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #1977
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins View Post
I installed python 2.5.2 x64 from python.org through the normal Windows installer. But pyTivo doesn't detect it.
Yeah, the installer is definitely at fault. The x64 part is probably throwing off the version check it's trying to do. Unfortunately krkeegan never checked in the source for the installer so I can't fix it easily.

You are better off installing pyTivo manually using wgw or wmcbrine's fork version. Essentially you download a tar.gz file, extract it to a folder, configure your pyTivo.conf, and then run "python pyTivo.py" from a command prompt after cd'ing to the pyTivo folder. pyTivo will run from console that way and print it's output to the command prompt. The only real magic that the Windows installer does is setup running pyTivo as a service.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #1978
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Yeah, the installer is definitely at fault. The x64 part is probably throwing off the version check it's trying to do. Unfortunately krkeegan never checked in the source for the installer so I can't fix it easily.
I think it's here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/krkeegan....19c80257c0acd9

I've done several NSIS installers for other projects and was on the beta-test team for it for awhile, but it's been a few years since my last major interaction with NSIS and I am far to busy with a full-time job and night classes to tackle it right now, but if you do and run into any trouble, post about and I'll try to help.

We could really use an updated installer 'for the masses'.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #1979
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I think it's here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/krkeegan....19c80257c0acd9

I've done several NSIS installers for other projects and was on the beta-test team for it for awhile, but it's been a few years since my last major interaction with NSIS and I am far to busy with a full-time job and night classes to tackle it right now, but if you do and run into any trouble, post about and I'll try to help.

We could really use an updated installer 'for the masses'.
Cool. I swore I looked for those and couldn't find them. I see where the problem is with the Python version check. Seems like an easy fix, but I've never built an NSIS installer before and I'm really low on time this month.

Try to look at it after I get done with my "honey dos" for the weekend.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #1980
ObiWanJenkins

Quote:

You are better off installing pyTivo manually using wgw or wmcbrine's fork version. Essentially you download a tar.gz file, extract it to a folder, configure your pyTivo.conf, and then run "python pyTivo.py" from a command prompt after cd'ing to the pyTivo folder. pyTivo will run from console that way and print it's output to the command prompt. The only real magic that the Windows installer does is setup running pyTivo as a service.
I will give that a try. I'm beginning to think Vista is horrible.