TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #1921
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

mkv files errors

It seems that this is a pretty common error. Others have reported the same errors with some files working properly - pyTivo Discussion Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #1922
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
As far as I know, tivo.net and pyTivo both use ffmpeg as a transcode engine. The problems that pyTivo has with MKV files are specific to ffmpeg, so I can't see how suggesting tivo.net would fix the problem. That is, unless tivo.net has found a way to circumvent ffmpeg's shortcomings...
All I can tell you is that I've never had a problem transferring an MKV file with .net
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #1923
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
All I can tell you is that I've never had a problem transferring an MKV file with .net
And all I can tell you is that I've had a hell of a time getting them to transfer reliably, despite the fact that both solutions are founded on ffmpeg. The errors pyTivo users see are not simply transfer errors, which can be blamed on pyTivo itself, but encode/decode errors (audio sync out of whack, audio channels remapped to right front, etc).

I'll need to dig into tivo.net to see if/how the parms list being passed into ffmpeg from tivo.net differs from that of pyTivo.

edit : List of parms isn't very different from looking at the .NET code. Does tivo.net handle higher than 480i resolution transfers, or more than 2 channels of audio ?

Last edited by PaulS : 04-07-2008 at 07:59 PM.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #1924
jcthorne

If you convert the audio in your mkv file to AC3 at 384kbps before giving the mkv to pytivo/ffmpeg things go much smoother. FFmpeg does not handle conversion of audio inside and mkv container well at all but if its already the right format and bitrate, it comes along on the conversion to mpeg2 just fine.

Until ffmpeg updates.

Speaking of which, there are new window builds of ffmpeg posted recently, has anything that effects the use in pytivo been improved or upgraded?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #1925
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If you convert the audio in your mkv file to AC3 at 384kbps before giving the mkv to pytivo/ffmpeg things go much smoother. FFmpeg does not handle conversion of audio inside and mkv container well at all but if its already the right format and bitrate, it comes along on the conversion to mpeg2 just fine.

Until ffmpeg updates.

Speaking of which, there are new window builds of ffmpeg posted recently, has anything that effects the use in pytivo been improved or upgraded?
Here is the changelog.http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk/?view=log

It seems there were numerous performance enhancements (i dont know if it adds up to much), and various audio and decoder fixes.

However the new build posted seems to break pyTivo (so far for me). So until pyTivo is updated with possible changes to FFMPEG command parameters unfortunately it is not usable (again this could have simply been my machine, however the problems fixed themselves by reverting to the old revision).

Edit: The FFMPEG changelog server is very shaky and doesnt respond often, and when it does it takes about 5 minutes to load.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #1926
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Right. It's just that there isn't an in-line, one-step solution to the problem. I'd rather not have to manually massage files. If there was an easy way to "pipe" the output of eac3to to pyTivo, I'd be all over that.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #1927
fred2

I suspected that I was not the only one who wanted to deal with mkv files (although, now, if I can avoid them I will until a stable solution appears. Seems, though, I opened up an interesting discussion!

Multiple massaging is just not that desireable - not that I have not done stuff like that in the past. But I'm getting lazy, my computer is overloaded with virtual dubs in all configurations, tons of codecs and new things break old things.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #1928
wgw

xvid avi's have the same audio problems as mkv's, and probably any other file type encoded with ac3 audio. People just notice it more with mkv's because they are commonly encoded with ac3 while other file types are more commonly encoded with low bitrate mp3 or aac audio. As long as the ac3 audio is encoded at 448k or less, pytivo will handle it properly if you do not override pytivos default audio codec settings.

Last edited by wgw : 04-09-2008 at 09:43 PM.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #1929
grahamg

Pytivo and OTA HD files

Hi, I repost this in the Pytivo chain. I think the original post was in the wrong forum - sorry and thanks.

On my PC I am using a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR950 OTA HD tuner to record onto the PC. These files are dropped directly into my PyTivo video folder as *.mpg files. WMF and Nero showtime play them perfectly on the PC.

PyTivo is working in as much as the video/audio is transfered to the Tivo2 at a very nice quality. During the file transfer ffmpeg_mp2 is running at 30-35% CPU load. The PC is an AMD 64 X2, 3gb ram. I can play the video/audio transfered to the Tivo on the TV during the file transfer and it keeps up quite happily.

The video and sound quality on the TV from the Tivo2 is really excellent but the audio is way out of sync, I haven't timed it but the video must be playing 30 - 60 seconds after of the audio.

Can I make some changes to make this setup viable - or do I just forget it?

I have just moved house and I cannot receive OTA analog stations at all well, but the HD channels come in fine. This is the reason for my interest in using the HD source.
grahamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #1930
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamg View Post
The video and sound quality on the TV from the Tivo2 is really excellent but the audio is way out of sync, I haven't timed it but the video must be playing 30 - 60 seconds after of the audio..
1. Try -async 1 in the args to ffmpeg.

2. Try running the file through VideoReDo, Quick Stream Fix. Is the sync that bad when loaded into VideoReDo? (If so it's probably beyond repair by VRD.) VRD also lets you manually correct sync within about a one second range.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #1931
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Exclamation Why did I wait so long?

I was reluctant to try pyTivo but because of the problems with TD 2.6, I thought I'd give it a try.

I must say, installation was EASY. Had to do NO configurations.
Ten minutes from first installing python, then installing pyTivo, then at my Tivo choosing a movie to transfer.
AWESOME!

Thanks for a great app.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #1932
grahamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
1. Try -async 1 in the args to ffmpeg.

2. Try running the file through VideoReDo, Quick Stream Fix.
Thanks for the input. On item1. I added the argument to the Pytivo.conf file and it changed to as follows :-

[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe -async 1

hack83=true

[My Videos]
type=video
path=E:\Videos

[Admin]
type=admin

But this didn't work. When I used the Tivo, I can see the PC's videos, I selected one and then Tivo says "please wait" (and locks up). Looking at the PC processes I see that ffmpeg_mp2 doesn't pop into the process list. I have since removed the -async 1 argument and things are working again. Is this argument correctly formatted? I will try to find out, perhaps I need a more recent ffmpeg? BTW I did stop and remove the Tivo service and restored it after changing the config file.

On item2. I downloaded a trial version, but when I play a video on VideoRedo the video and audio are in perfect sync so their is nothing to fix. You are correct saying that the maximum correction available is +/- 1second. It seems that the problem is being caused by ffmpeg_mp2 but I don't see that output file as it is being sent straight to the Tivo.

I guess this problem will show up more next year when everyone goes to digital OTA tv?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #1933
wgw

grahamg,

Sorry, I have not replied to your question because you have not indicated what version you are using or what your settings are. With all the developers, there are lots of versions now. I have made every attempt to eliminate audio sync problems in my pytivo branch. Try installing this version with all default settings and see how it works.
http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/post518.html#518
The new pytivo forum may also answer some of your questions.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #1934
grahamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
grahamg,

Sorry, I have not replied to your question because you have not indicated what version you are using or what your settings are.
I tried to find the version# but didn't know how to get it from my PC. I vaguely remember there is a way to find the ffmpeg version, but I have forgotten that too.

1. I downloaded the 7-Zip file
2. I downloaded wgw-f668ec6fa340c7f341eabd89e8096284c4142bfc.tar.gz
But 7-Zip didn't seem to understand the .gz file. So I used Winrar instead. Extracted your folder wgw to the desktop renamed it to PyTivo and then copied it to my Program files\Pytivo folder. This seems to have worked because I see plenty of 4/8/2008 files.
3. started Pytivo.
4. Transfered one .mpg file from the PC using PyTivo

The result. Excellent quality video, and the audio now seems in sync. But the audio is "stuttering" (like 1/2 second of sound then 1/2 second of silence) and the video seems to be playing a little too slowly (although it doesn't stutter like the audio - I mean it seems to play continuously, but just a tad slow) Sorry, but I can't describe it any better. I also tried to transfer a lower quality file (an .avi file) and that plays without problem. In both cases the transfer to the Tivo is quicker than realtime.

I am now thinking of converting the .mpg format to .avi and see how that goes - is it worth trying ?

I downloaded the trial version of AVS video converter. It indicates that the original .mpg video file is MPEG2 video, 1280x720 59.94fps 13894kbps, audio Dolby AC3 48000hz 5.1ch 448 kbps. I understand that the TV tuner makes no changes to the format, it just stores the OTA video/sound?

Last edited by grahamg : 04-16-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #1935
grahamg

Hi further info.

I converted the original

MPEG2 video, 1280x720 59.94fps 13894kbps, audio Dolby AC3 48000hz 5.1ch 448 kbps filesize 3.1gb

to a new file using AVS video convertor trial version

MPEG2 video 720x576 29.97fps 10065kbps, audio MPEG-1 layer2 2ch 320 kbps filesize 2.23gb - This file plays fine on the Tivo.

I also tried your original suggestion and added the argument -async to the new ffmpeg_mp2.exe installed with 1wgw-f668ec6fa340c7f341eabd89e8096284c4142bfc.tar.gz

But I get the same problem, I can see the file, I select it and Tivo says "please wait" - forever. Pytivo does not start ffmpeg_mp2.

Question. I added the parameter in Pytivo.conf ie. ffmpeg=C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe -async 1
is this correct or should it be in the following uncommented line somewhere?

#ffmpeg_tmpl=%(video_codec)s %(video_fps)s %(video_br)s %(max_video_br)s %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py %(audio_br)s %(audio_fr)s %(audio_ch)s %(audio_codec)s %(fmpeg_prams)s %(format)s

Recording OTA HD and then recoding it to another format doesn't really appeal because I would rather be able to set the PC's DVR and then just use Pytivo to view whatever is recorded. If this works I end up with a poor mans Tivo3! At least this would be a decent fill in until the Governments $40 hdtv vouchers kick in.

Last edited by grahamg : 04-16-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #1936
wgw

Sounds like their might be something wrong with your source recordings. Perhaps spikes in the audio/video bitrates. You might try VideoRedo's QuickStream Fix option. Before running QuickStream fix, go into the VideoRedo options. Under Stream Parameters, check the box "Set header to video bitrate". This makes it easy to verify the video bitrate on the output file using VideoReDo's "Show Video program info" option.

If that does not work, you can force pytivo to transcode the files for you which will smooth out the glitches. Set max_video_br=12000k and max_audio_br=384k.

S3 Tivo's also have a problem converting HD recordings which could be part of the problem. Forcing pytivo to transcode HD will also fix that.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #1937
grahamg

Quote:
Sounds like their might be something wrong with your source recordings. Perhaps spikes in the audio/video bitrates. You might try VideoRedo's QuickStream Fix option. Before running QuickStream fix, go into the VideoRedo options. Under Stream Parameters, check the box "Set header to video bitrate". This makes it easy to verify the video bitrate on the output file using VideoReDo's "Show Video program info" option.

If that does not work, you can force pytivo to transcode the files for you which will smooth out the glitches. Set max_video_br=12000k and max_audio_br=384k.

S3 Tivo's also have a problem converting HD recordings which could be part of the problem. Forcing pytivo to transcode HD will also fix that.
Thanks, I took your advice in reverse order and tried (I think) the transcode option first. I have a question though. I have changed my Pytivo.conf to the following. Notice that I uncommented the line ffmpeg_tmpl, I also added in the item %(max_audio_br)s next to max_video_br. I just ask if this is done correctly?

I will record a couple of short programs and try this later. Thanks again for your help..

[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

hack83=true

max_video_br=12000k
max_audio_br=384k.

ffmpeg_tmpl=%(video_codec)s %(video_fps)s %(video_br)s %(max_video_br)s %(max_audio_br)s %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py %(audio_br)s %(audio_fr)s %(audio_ch)s %(audio_codec)s %(fmpeg_prams)s %(format)s

[My Videos]
type=video
path=E:\Videos

[Admin]
type=admin
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #1938
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The -async 1 needs to be added to the ffmpeg_tmpl, which must be uncommented (remove the '#')to be activated.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #1939
wgw

You really should use the web admin to update your config. http://localhost:9032/

Your config looks fine. But you should delete the ffmpeg_tmpl line. It's not necessary to specify this line and should only be modified by very advanced users.

-async 1, if needed, would be added to ffmpeg_pram.

Edit: oh, you have an S2. pyTivo will transcode HD files by default on an S2. But it won't hurt to specify the max settings anyway.

Last edited by wgw : 04-16-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #1940
lgkahn

feature request:

I have been using tivoserver to goto my dtv direcdt tivos.. just getting pytivo working to goto my new s3's I am setting up as the older tivoserver doesnt work for it..

unfort. all my movies are on an older w2000 box so tivo.net is out of the question..

anyway one thing I liked about tivoserver is the combining of multiple shares..

ie if I have a subfolder or folder on different shares/hard drives called "james bond" I will only get one "james bond" folder with a combination of all the various files from all the hard drives.. This seems common as I have 4 hard drives in the older box and
also 2 external usb hard drives... is there some way to make pytivo do this (I cannot find any settings for this or reference to this in the thread) or is it a feature that may be added in the future.. it just means keeping a global list of folders and instead of multiple shares showing the main folder and all the global list of folders and knowing which shows are in each one...

thanks in advance..

also since we are keeping the dtivo boxes for awhile I want to run both tivoserver and pytivo on the same w2000 box against the same files

thanks again..
lgkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 AM   #1941
grahamg

Quote:
You really should use the web admin to update your config. http://localhost:9032/

Your config looks fine. But you should delete the ffmpeg_tmpl line. It's not necessary to specify this line and should only be modified by very advanced users.

-async 1, if needed, would be added to ffmpeg_pram.

Edit: oh, you have an S2. pyTivo will transcode HD files by default on an S2. But it won't hurt to specify the max settings anyway.
Thanks for the tip, I have used the web admin, and see how it works. I tried the -async, max_video_br=12000k and max_audio_br=384k as suggested. But there is no change. I doubled checked by recording a couple of 2 minute videos of a news program, again tried I to play them via PyTivo but they have the same "stuttering" problem. I believe the PC video files are good. I then tried VideoReDo on them. I tried the Quickstream fix with but it found no errors and there is no improvement.

I then tried doing "set start" and "set end" - "add selection" - "save as" with the options all set at "no change".

However, the original file shrank from 3.2gb to 1.5gb. But lo and behold the Pytivo transfer now plays fine.

But when I check the original versus "save as" files I see the following changes.

Original = MPEG2 video, 1280x720 59.94fps 13894kbps, audio Dolby AC3 48000hz 5.1ch 448 kbps filesize 3.1gb

Save as = MPEG2 video, 1280x720 59.94fps 13160kbps, audio Dolby AC3 48000hz 1ch 192 kbps filesize 1.5gb

So it seems that the VideoReDo "no change" does change things - especially the sound channel. But it now works.

So the new question. Can ffmpeg_mp2.exe handle 5.1 surround sound? Could this be the problem?

Last edited by grahamg : 04-18-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #1942
grahamg

Quote:

So the new question. Can ffmpeg_mp2.exe handle 5.1 surround sound? Could this be the problem?
Edit 4/17/08

Today I tried tried 3x utilities (Super ver 2008/bld.30, AVS Video Converter, VideoRedo) all were able to convert the 3.1gb original source to playable Pytivo versions. None of these were able to retain the AC3 audio and converted to mono or stereo.

I have to conclude that at present Pytivo cannot accept native MPEG2 OTA HDtv content. I believe the Tivo unit can play AC3 content because I used Tivo for a long time to record Charter Comm's cable video content which is known to use AC3 on their HD content.

Thanks for all the help, but it looks like this could be something that needs some attention. I would be happy to make 1 minute OTA DVR recording and upload it somewhere if that would help.

Thanks Guy's
Old 04-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #1943
tfratzke
Disgustipated

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I was reluctant to try pyTivo but because of the problems with TD 2.6, I thought I'd give it a try.

I must say, installation was EASY. Had to do NO configurations.
Ten minutes from first installing python, then installing pyTivo, then at my Tivo choosing a movie to transfer.
AWESOME!

Thanks for a great app.
No kidding! Can't agree more! Just installed today for the first time. I should have never purchased TD+!!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #1944
lgkahn

there seems to be a problem with tytivo and windows 2000 ... I could not get it working that my shares show up in my series 3 tivo.. I basically reinstalled on my xp box and pointed it to the same directory on the w2000 box via a mounted share/drive and it comes up fine in the now playing on my series 3... no errors in the console for tytivo and i can see the now playing fine via he web but when running directly on the w 2000 box nothing ever shows up in the now playing.... anyone else test this with w 2000...

thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #1945
lgkahn

another problem trying to transfer a .tivo I converted from a .tmf file.. could it be the funky msftp name ie

64.222.190.113 - - [19/Apr/2008 10:50:18] "GET /PC%20K%20Drive%20Videos/horror/%
7BThe%20Shining%7D%7B1980-01-01%7D%7B%7D%7B04.15%20AM%20Fri%20Feb%2024,%202006%7
D%7BHBOS%7D.tivo HTTP/1.1" 200 -
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('64.222.190.113', 2439)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "H:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 464, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "H:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "H:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 522, in __init__
self.handle()
File "H:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
self.handle_one_request()
File "H:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
method()
File "C:\pytivo\httpserver.py", line 55, in do_GET
plugin.send_file(self, container, name)
File "C:\pytivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 215, in send_file
handler.wfile, tsn)
File "C:\pytivo\plugins\video\transcode.py", line 29, in output_video
shutil.copyfileobj(f, outFile)
File "H:\Python25\lib\shutil.py", line 24, in copyfileobj
fdst.write(buf)
File "H:\Python25\lib\socket.py", line 262, in write
self.flush()
File "H:\Python25\lib\socket.py", line 249, in flush
self._sock.sendall(buffer)
error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')
----------------------------------------
Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #1946
lrhorer

TTCB Fixed

OK, now that they've fixed TTCB on the S3, there's no longer any reason to rate shape any videos. Doing so fixed the stuttering and stammering, but it made the video look terrible. How can I change the config file so pyTiVo no longer rate limits at all?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #1947
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
OK, now that they've fixed TTCB on the S3, there's no longer any reason to rate shape any videos. Doing so fixed the stuttering and stammering, but it made the video look terrible. How can I change the config file so pyTiVo no longer rate limits at all?
When you say "fixed TTCB", do you mean the macroblocking and picture/sound break-ups when transferring a file (likely to be 1080i) to an S3/THD ?

pyTivo really doesn't "rate limit" per se. If/when it has to transcode, "video_br" is the maximum video bitrate that the transcoder will use to convert the video. Rate limiting is more of a function of the speed at which the file is transmitted from the PC to the TiVo.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #1948
substance12

all of a sudden tivohd cannot see any of the videos in my share folder. is this because of 9.3?
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #1949
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Do you happen to be doing something on your computer that's using most of the CPU cycles?

I'm currently using my computer to author a DVD and the computer icon disappeared from my TivoHD.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 AM   #1950
lrhorer

Ttcb

Quote:
When you say "fixed TTCB", do you mean the macroblocking and picture/sound break-ups when transferring a file (likely to be 1080i) to an S3/THD ?
The symptoms are variable, and include stuttering audio and/or video, momentary freezes, and pixelization, yes.

Quote:
pyTivo really doesn't "rate limit" per se. If/when it has to transcode, "video_br" is the maximum video bitrate that the transcoder will use to convert the video. Rate limiting is more of a function of the speed at which the file is transmitted from the PC to the TiVo.
Since there is no rate limit on the stream being passed to the TiVo, your distinction is rather moot. I also don't really know what else to call transcoding with a maximum bit rate set other than rate limited. Nonetheless, the version of pyTiVo which I have automatically transcodes any video whose bitrate exceeds a certain threshold and drops the bit rate to something like 8Mbps. I don't recall the actual threshold at the moment. It's mentioned further up in this thread, but the bottom line is it is no longer necessary. It was a stop-gap measure in any case, because the transcoded video looks terrible. My question remains: how do I get pyTiVo to stop this behavior now it is no longer necessary?

Edit: Never mind. I removed everything from the server section and it works just fine, now.

Last edited by lrhorer : 04-20-2008 at 07:47 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote