TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #1891
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
After I told a friend of mine to check out PyTiVo, he downloaded it from their site and his AVAST A/V detected a Trojan. ......
AVAST is wrong. pyTivo does not have a Trojan in it. It is a false postive, confirmed by the writer of one of the modules. Go to http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/index.php for the discussion forum related to pyTivo.
This problem has been fixed in the newest version of pyTivo released today. Stop spreading FUD....

Last edited by menos : 03-24-2008 at 06:43 PM.
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #1892
PaulS

Quote:
After I told a friend of mine to check out PyTiVo, he downloaded it from their site and his AVAST A/V detected a Trojan. He immediately removed it and told me he's not using it. Beware!
As menos pointed out, this is blatantly false, and borderline panic-mongering.

pyTivo bundles a utility (XYNTService) which allows pyTivo to run as a Windows service. This utility was triggering false-positives with certain AV programs. The author of this utility noticed this problem, and made a correction for it in February 2008. pyTivo has since incorporated this update, and should no longer trigger AV alarms/warnings/errors.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #1893
Kershek

Thanks for the info! I let my friend know. Not trying to spread panic at all, and I'm glad that the issue was remedied.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #1894
msmart

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I let my friend know. Not trying to spread panic at all, and I'm glad that the issue was remedied.
I would suggest then, that you, Paul S, and menos edit your posts to limit the number of eyes that see your posts and stop rumors from spreading. When I see that you have, I'll do the same.

Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #1895
menos

I think it is important that people know that if they receive a virus warning from pyTivo that they make sure to update.
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #1896
PaulS

Yeah, I know it's asking a lot of someone who's reading this thread to actually follow it down a few more posts to see a definitive answer to a question that was posed.

Yeeesh...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #1897
Kershek

Ok, no problem. Post edited. Thanks again for the quick response.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #1898
kas25

I have all my movies on my Mac. How reliable is Pytivo for a Mac. It seems like a lot of work to get it going if its not reliable on the Mac. Any suggestions?
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #1899
sed156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25 View Post
I have all my movies on my Mac. How reliable is Pytivo for a Mac. It seems like a lot of work to get it going if its not reliable on the Mac. Any suggestions?
pyTivo is very reliable on my Intel Mac mini (OS X 10.4.11).

Initial setup took some time... had to install the developer tools, python 2.5.1 and ffmpeg. This required installing software from the command line in Terminal (this was not a problem for me, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea). The OS X Install instructions found here were helpful too.

After that initial setup was complete I have not had any issues with pyTivo and have been very happy with it. It's been a great substitute for the broken Mac version of TivoDesktop.
sed156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #1900
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed156 View Post
pyTivo is very reliable on my Intel Mac mini (OS X 10.4.11).

Initial setup took some time... had to install the developer tools, python 2.5.1 and ffmpeg. This required installing software from the command line in Terminal (this was not a problem for me, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea). The OS X Install instructions found here were helpful too.

After that initial setup was complete I have not had any issues with pyTivo and have been very happy with it. It's been a great substitute for the broken Mac version of TivoDesktop.
Thanks. For someone who hasn't even seen Terminal, would you suggest trying?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #1901
sed156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25 View Post
Thanks. For someone who hasn't even seen Terminal, would you suggest trying?
Nope.
sed156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #1902
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed156 View Post
Nope.
I'll stick with Apple TV for now. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #1903
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Just posted this as a enhancement request on pytivo.armoo.net and I thought I'd float the idea here as well.

Is it possible to sent an icon to be used in the Now Playing List when you're browsing pyTivo shares? Having a unique icon for any pyTivo share would let them stand out from TiVo Desktop shares.

If you could actually define the icon in the pyTivo.conf individually for each share it'd be even slicker.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #1904
MasterCephus

^ I don't think that's possible...I think those icons comes from Tivo, not pyTivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #1905
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

Seems like pyTivo hates me, as it is causing me nothing but problems. My latest issue is that the file (a dvd vob renamed to .mpg) transfers over fine, and plays fine. However, once the transfer is complete the file disappears from my now playing list. Is there a way to see a log or get some info as to why the file is gone once the transfer is complete? I could do more tests to see what happens if I am playing the video when the transfer completes, but I am sick and need to go to bed.

Thanks!
jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #1906
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
^ I don't think that's possible...I think those icons comes from Tivo, not pyTivo.
Found this on sourceforge http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/docs/..._Running.html:

Quote:
The TiVo box will attempt to load an icon for the application. It will use the application’s base URI followed by “icon.png.” For example:

http://somemachine:7288/movie/icon.png

The easiest way to add an icon to an application is to put the icon.png file into the JAR file (or classpath) in the same directory as the application class.

Icons should be 34x26 and can use transparency (but will consume less memory if not transparent). They should use PNG format.
If pyTivo works like an HME application this might work. If it's just simulating a TiVo Desktop or another TiVo on the local network than probably not.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #1907
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

pyTivo does NOT work like an HME application. pyTivo is an HMO server. There is no way I know of to set an icon for shares in the Now Playing list.

There IS a way, in principle, to set custom icons for the programs within shares, but I haven't explored it.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #1908
zoma4

I apologize in advance if this is a repeat of something previously discussed, however I did some searching (both here and on the py-TiVo forums) and didn't really get an answer I am satisfied with. I'll readily admit that I have not fully read all 64 pages of this thread.

Anyhow, I am a py-TiVo newbie. I had been using Videora and TivoDesktop but recently decided to give py-TiVo a shot. My question has to do with the conversion settings. I have a TivoHD and a 720p Samsung tv. Whenever I transfer an xvid file to the Tivo, I usually end up with 4 bars around the side of the screen. These are all WS dvdrips, but unfortunately the resolution varies.

What py-Tivo settings should I be using to maximize my viewing experience?

What about for 720p mkv files? 1080i/p mkvs? Do I need to have separate settings based on my input files?

Again, sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm confused.

Also, a little off topic from py-Tivo, but still related -- I was under the impression that TiVoDesktop Plus 2.6 would support transferring HD Video to the box, however the DVD rips (not HD resolution, I know) still show up boxed on all 4 sides.

Essentially, I am trying to find a solution that will scale the video so that the will only be letterboxing when it is converted to mpeg2 for the TiVo and not degrade any quality to 480i levels.

zoma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #1909
Kershek

zoma4, I'm not sure how to answer your question, but have you tried the zoom function of the TiVoHD or your TV to fill the screen with the video?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #1910
PaulS

zoma -

If you're using a recent vintage of pyTivo, the default settings should get you what you want.

The default configuration of pyTivo will not scale videos that are less than 1280x720 in resolution. If the video uses a codec other than MPEG-2, it will transcode the video to MPEG-2 but will leave the original resolution intact. Videos that are greater than 1280x720 will be downscaled to 1280x720 to conserve on filesize and CPU utilization. These are merely the defaults, and may be over-ridden to whatever you'd like.

The TiVoHD and Series3 can apparently handle just about any MPEG-2 content thrown at it, so this makes pyTivo's job much easier. This is why pyTivo doesn't scale everything to a specific resolution. It doesn't need to.

MKV present a special challenge for pyTivo, in that ffmpeg (the transcoding engine used by pyTivo) has a hard time with the audio in MKV files. Specifically, audio/video sync may drift quite a bit (I've seen 5+ seconds), and channels may be re-mapped (everything ends up in the front-right channel). This is a short-coming of ffmpeg, and efforts have been made to work around those issues.

Keep in mind that transcoding/scaling can NOT improve upon video quality. 480i sources will ALWAYS look worse than HD sources. You can not add resolution to sources. The best you can hope to achieve is to not degrade the 480i too much.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #1911
zoma4

Quote:
zoma4, I'm not sure how to answer your question, but have you tried the zoom function of the TiVoHD or your TV to fill the screen with the video?
Yeah, that's my workaround for the moment, but I was trying to figure out if there was a way to have it scale on encoding rather than zoom during playback.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #1912
bholzm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Ahhhh... I gotcha. I read the first post too quickly, and missed the difference in vertical resolution.

wgw has recently merged some PAR (pixel aspect ratio) code into his branch. This may or may not also fix the problem.
Looking at the patch, it looks like one could set the PAR to .741 (800.0/1080.0), but this would scale any file globally that doesn't report a PAR. I think it only makes sense to use the video's native resolution sans padding when the video vertical AND horizontal res are smaller than the tivo, or precisely equal to both. That should solve kershek's problem and possibly zoma4's as well.
bholzm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #1913
zoma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
zoma -

If you're using a recent vintage of pyTivo, the default settings should get you what you want.

The default configuration of pyTivo will not scale videos that are less than 1280x720 in resolution. If the video uses a codec other than MPEG-2, it will transcode the video to MPEG-2 but will leave the original resolution intact. Videos that are greater than 1280x720 will be downscaled to 1280x720 to conserve on filesize and CPU utilization. These are merely the defaults, and may be over-ridden to whatever you'd like.

The TiVoHD and Series3 can apparently handle just about any MPEG-2 content thrown at it, so this makes pyTivo's job much easier. This is why pyTivo doesn't scale everything to a specific resolution. It doesn't need to.

MKV present a special challenge for pyTivo, in that ffmpeg (the transcoding engine used by pyTivo) has a hard time with the audio in MKV files. Specifically, audio/video sync may drift quite a bit (I've seen 5+ seconds), and channels may be re-mapped (everything ends up in the front-right channel). This is a short-coming of ffmpeg, and efforts have been made to work around those issues.

Keep in mind that transcoding/scaling can NOT improve upon video quality. 480i sources will ALWAYS look worse than HD sources. You can not add resolution to sources. The best you can hope to achieve is to not degrade the 480i too much.
Thanks for this response. I am pretty close to getting things how I'd like them now.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #1914
danitaz

I would swear I had pyTivo working on my MAC, and I was able to upload a video from my Mac to my Tivo S3. But today I started up pyTivo again, and when I try to send a file to my Tivo I get:

Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 53508)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 464, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 522, in __init__
self.handle()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
self.handle_one_request()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
method()
File "/Users/danita/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 85, in do_GET
method(self, query)
File "/Users/danita/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 460, in Push
password = config.getTivoPassword()
File "/Users/danita/pyTivo/config.py", line 31, in getTivoPassword
return config.get('Server', 'tivo_password')
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 520, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'tivo_password' in section: 'Server'

I know the password is correct . . . .

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Danita

Last edited by danitaz : 04-05-2008 at 03:49 PM.
danitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #1915
danitaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by danitaz View Post
I would swear I had pyTivo working on my MAC

And I did - I was just going the "opposite" direction before. I.e., I see the "My Movies" on the Tivo and tell it to download. This time for some reason I was trying to go the opposite direction from the web browser. I think that "should" work too - but it works from the other way.

Danita
danitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #1916
thczv

Vc-1 Wmv

I have been looking for a foolproof way to store my 1080 mpg2 video in a more compressed format. Right now I am trying to use Windows Media Encoder to make 720 VC-1 WMV files. So far it looks like it will work fairly well. However, pyTivo won't transfer my first test file. In the pyTivo log, I get this message over and over (incremented by several seconds each time):

192.168.1.134 - - [05/Apr/2008 15:46:52] "GET /Thczv/Liam%20Finn%20(Letterman)-1.wmv HTTP/1.1" 200 -
['h:\\Program Files\\pyTivo\\plugins\\video\\ffmpeg_mp2.exe', '-i', 'g:\\Video\\Liam Finn (Letterman)-1.wmv', '-vcodec', 'mpeg2video', '-r', '29.97', '-b', '8192k', '-maxrate', '17408k', '-bufsize', '1024k', '-comment', 'pyTivo.py', '-ab', '384k', '-ar', '48000', '-acodec', 'ac3', '-f', 'vob', '-']

It doesn't give an error. On the Tivo, it looks like the file is trying to transfer, but it never gets enough video to start. Eventually, my Tivo kills the transfer, and the To Do list says the transfer was cancelled either because the file was bigger than expected, or because the file was corrupted.

Any ideas? I thought pyTivo had no problem with wmv files. I even thought ffmpeg could handle VC-1 now.

Thanks,
thczv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #1917
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danitaz View Post
I would swear I had pyTivo working on my MAC, and I was able to upload a video from my Mac to my Tivo S3. But today I started up pyTivo again, and when I try to send a file to my Tivo I get:

Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 53508)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 464, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 522, in __init__
self.handle()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
self.handle_one_request()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
method()
File "/Users/danita/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 85, in do_GET
method(self, query)
File "/Users/danita/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 460, in Push
password = config.getTivoPassword()
File "/Users/danita/pyTivo/config.py", line 31, in getTivoPassword
return config.get('Server', 'tivo_password')
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 520, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'tivo_password' in section: 'Server'

I know the password is correct . . . .

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Danita
It looks like you are trying to push a file from the web interface. You will need to have your tivo.com username and password in the server section of the pyTivo.conf file.

It should be something like this.
Code:
[Server]
tivo_username=email@domain.com
tivo_password=password123

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #1918
fred2

I am not having any luck trying to copy or move MKV files to my tivo. Any suggestions or ideas. I guess I also am having problems trying to convert them to something more traditional avi) to get them to the tivo.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #1919
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
I am not having any luck trying to copy or move MKV files to my tivo. Any suggestions or ideas. .
use TiVo.net
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #1920
PaulS

As far as I know, tivo.net and pyTivo both use ffmpeg as a transcode engine. The problems that pyTivo has with MKV files are specific to ffmpeg, so I can't see how suggesting tivo.net would fix the problem. That is, unless tivo.net has found a way to circumvent ffmpeg's shortcomings...