TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #1861
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thczv View Post
I have been trying a lot of things to get pyTivo to play playlists. But I am not having any luck. Have any of you who run pyTivo on Windows XP succeeded in getting pyTivo to play playlists? If so, would you tell me how you did it?
As the guy who implemented playlist support, I can tell you that, yes, I've tested it under Windows XP, and no, I didn't do anything special to make it work. (I just now tried it again to be sure it hadn't been broken in some recent version, but no, it's still working.) You're going to have to narrow down your problem a lot more -- it's not just that you're using XP.

The playlists I've tested with are just simple M3U's, one filename per line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 AM   #1862
s2kdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'm not sure that the XMPP ("jabber") support is in the 9.2 TiVo software, or even if it's scheduled to be released as a part of the 9.3 release. We also don't know if this iteration of TD software uses XMPP to effectively push the content to the TiVo, or if it's still relying on the TiVo to poll it.

We'll know soon enough, I'll wager.

I'll be firing up TD 2.6 tonight with a packet sniffer and see what interesting things pop up...
After reading the blog and the tivo docs it sounds like yes, you can trigger an immediate download of your video. I was thinking the same thing as you. I want to know how to "web enable" my application. Let us know if you find out anything good.
s2kdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #1863
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdave View Post
After reading the blog and the tivo docs it sounds like yes, you can trigger an immediate download of your video. I was thinking the same thing as you. I want to know how to "web enable" my application. Let us know if you find out anything good.
Sorry, I didn't get to it last night. I installed TD 2.6 and fired up WireShark, then got pulled away. I won't be able to get to it tonight either, since I have other plans.

I'm thinking that we're probably half-way to full XMPP support. TD's support of jabber allows it to IM the servers at TiVo, to notify them of content that's ready to download. That content will currently only get pushed down to the TiVo's once they poll the servers at TiVo (every 15 minutes, right?)

I suspect 9.3 will bring XMPP support to the TiVo's themselves. At that point, we'll have near-realtime push downloads.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #1864
s2kdave

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't get to it last night. I installed TD 2.6 and fired up WireShark, then got pulled away. I won't be able to get to it tonight either, since I have other plans.

I'm thinking that we're probably half-way to full XMPP support. TD's support of jabber allows it to IM the servers at TiVo, to notify them of content that's ready to download. That content will currently only get pushed down to the TiVo's once they poll the servers at TiVo (every 15 minutes, right?)

I suspect 9.3 will bring XMPP support to the TiVo's themselves. At that point, we'll have near-realtime push downloads.
It's possible that 9.2 added XMPP support after they added amazon unbox who really knows. They may have just started making the API more public. Either way, it is a triggering mechanism which is cool.

I installed TD2.6 yesterday too. It looks like you might need a plus version to enable to auto transfers so reverse engineering will be more difficult without it.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #1865
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdave View Post
It's possible that 9.2 added XMPP support after they added amazon unbox who really knows. They may have just started making the API more public. Either way, it is a triggering mechanism which is cool.

I installed TD2.6 yesterday too. It looks like you might need a plus version to enable to auto transfers so reverse engineering will be more difficult without it.
We have a volunteer (philhu) over on the pyTivo forums with TD+, who's willing to do a little snooping/legwork to aid in the reverse engineering effort.

I just hope TiVo didn't go and do something like add a layer of authentication to the XMPP layer, so that only TD and TiVo's would be able to communicate with the TiVo servers. That would be really lame.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #1866
s2kdave

Quote:
We have a volunteer (philhu) over on the pyTivo forums with TD+, who's willing to do a little snooping/legwork to aid in the reverse engineering effort.

I just hope TiVo didn't go and do something like add a layer of authentication to the XMPP layer, so that only TD and TiVo's would be able to communicate with the TiVo servers. That would be really lame.
Again I had the same thoughts. I already tried to reverse engineer swivel search to figure out how to launch native screens from HME, but found out that they use two way SSL certificates using HTTPS. I hope they didn't do the same for the XMPP server.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #1867
mikebridge

found a character that borks the metadata files.
’ (bad)
vs
' (good)

was kinda frustrating, since the character will show (in this case, the full description showed), just no further tags will show.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #1868
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

Can anyone help my recent issue:
pyTivo runs fine and works great for my first few conversion attempts. Then I put an .avi file in the folder that is a typical xvid compressed Tv show. The second that I put this file into "My Videos" folder, pyTivo stops working. When I try to open the folder on my Tivo I get an error that the playlist is unavailable. Once I remove the file from the folder everything works fine again.

I had to use Videora to convert this file for Tivo playback, so there is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. For some reason though, pyTivo doesn't like this file one bit.

Anyone know what's going on here?
jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #1869
MasterCephus

Try this link. It will give you some pointers that I have used to test my files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #1870
thczv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
As the guy who implemented playlist support, I can tell you that, yes, I've tested it under Windows XP, and no, I didn't do anything special to make it work. (I just now tried it again to be sure it hadn't been broken in some recent version, but no, it's still working.) You're going to have to narrow down your problem a lot more -- it's not just that you're using XP.

The playlists I've tested with are just simple M3U's, one filename per line.
That is what I am trying to play. I made a very simple playlist, with three filenames, and put it in the top level of my MP3 folder. I made sure there are no funny characters in the playlist name or file paths/names. But I can't get it to play. I don't get an error, though. The tivo screen acts like it is playing the file, but the green bar never moves. The Tivo Desktop plays it just fine. pyTivo works fine for me in every other area (video and photos, and even playing straight MP3 files).

Any ideas?
thczv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #1871
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
Try this link. It will give you some pointers that I have used to test my files.
Thanks - I'll give it a shot!
jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #1872
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Any ideas?
Nope. Maybe if you show me the file?

What does it say on the pyTivo screen?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #1873
Joe3

I need some help. Clearly I did not like Desktop 2.6 enough to bother. So I took a deeper look at what you are trying to do here. Even if it’s hard to follow I know enough to appreciate what’s happening.

I am confused about the MetaGenerator. I have it down load the information into an E drive after I have redo drop what I think is a combined VOB file. I retain the DVD quality above cable and its easy storage and access.

However, the information that MetaGenerator gets is not imported into the TiVo.

Am I in error thinking that it would or am I missing something?

Latest version of Python.

pyTivo-2007-12-31-master

Thanks for your patience in advance.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #1874
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post
I need some help. Clearly I did not like Desktop 2.6 enough to bother. So I took a deeper look at what you are trying to do here. Even if it’s hard to follow I know enough to appreciate what’s happening.

I am confused about the MetaGenerator. I have it down load the information into an E drive after I have redo drop what I think is a combined VOB file. I retain the DVD quality above cable and its easy storage and access.

However, the information that MetaGenerator gets is not imported into the TiVo.

Am I in error thinking that it would or am I missing something?

Latest version of Python.

pyTivo-2007-12-31-master

Thanks for your patience in advance.
That's actually a very old version of pyTivo. Try this Windows installer based version : HERE
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #1875
Joe3

Quote:
That's actually a very old version of pyTivo. Try this Windows installer based version : HERE
That corrected the problem.

Thanks!
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #1876
ebf

Question MetaGenerator Question

I am wondering if MetaGenerator can be used to help build data files for program episodes that it cannot find. For example, I download UK soaps from the internet and tried once to find the episodes with MetaGenerator. I could find the programs, but not the recent episodes. Can I somehow just pick the program and fill in some (or none) of the episode details? I want to still have the programs all go into the same program folder in Now Playing. But is seems like I have to match my download to a particular episode in MetaGenerator. I do know I can create the data file by hand, but that's a pain.

Thanks.
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #1877
mikebridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf View Post
I am wondering if MetaGenerator can be used to help build data files for program episodes that it cannot find. For example, I download UK soaps from the internet and tried once to find the episodes with MetaGenerator. I could find the programs, but not the recent episodes. Can I somehow just pick the program and fill in some (or none) of the episode details? I want to still have the programs all go into the same program folder in Now Playing. But is seems like I have to match my download to a particular episode in MetaGenerator. I do know I can create the data file by hand, but that's a pain.

Thanks.
i think you could create an account at http://thetvdb.com/ and type the episode info there, then it will show up in meta generator (and you've helped out everyone else interested in the show)
Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #1878
PaulS

Quote:

Thanks.
Absolutely. What MetaGenerator is doing isn't magic. It's simply taking data from an online database, and arranging it into a text file that pyTivo, and hence a TiVo, can use to display meaningful data on-screen. The magic is that it makes finding, acquiring, and writing that data a very simple operation.

What you laid out is exactly how you'd fix your problem. Take an episode that you can find data for, replicate it into a metadata file for an episode that you do not have data for, and make some changes manually. It should work just fine.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #1879
ebf

Red face Ah!

Quote:
... What you laid out is exactly how you'd fix your problem. Take an episode that you can find data for, replicate it into a metadata file for an episode that you do not have data for, and make some changes manually. It should work just fine.
I assumed I could not edit the episode screen data. I tried it and everything accept the stars could be edited! It would be nice to be able to edit the stars as well.

Now, what do I do about programs without a seriesId? I download a lot of UK TV and would love to be able to folder those on my TiVo as well.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #1880
thczv

Quote:
Nope. Maybe if you show me the file?

What does it say on the pyTivo screen?
I didn't want to respond until I had time to go and check the log to see what it said (I feel kind of dumb for not doing that anyway). My test m3u file looked like this:

H:\MP3\Test\01.mp3
H:\MP3\Test\02.mp3
H:\MP3\Test\03.mp3

When I looked at the log I found this line that caught my attention:

Anchor not found: h:\MP3H:\MP3\Test\01.mp3

I figured pyTivo is somehow prepending the share path before the file path. So I made another test m3u file that looks like this:

\Test\01.mp3
\Test\02.mp3
\Test\03.mp3

This playlist works. I don't know enough to fix anything permanently. But it looks to me like the problem is with prepending the share path before the file path.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 AM   #1881
PaulS

Quote:
Now, what do I do about programs without a seriesId? I download a lot of UK TV and would love to be able to folder those on my TiVo as well.
Not much you can do. A show will either have a seriesId, or not. You can not make a new one up for a series, it must be known to the TiVo (via guide data).

You have a couple of options/work-arounds. First, you could choose to avoid using seriesId for those shows without seriesId's, and have them not group. Secondly, you could choose a seriesId for a show that DOES have a seriesId (perhaps one that's similarly named) and group your shows that way.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #1882
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
My test m3u file looked like this:

H:\MP3\Test\01.mp3
H:\MP3\Test\02.mp3
H:\MP3\Test\03.mp3

When I looked at the log I found this line that caught my attention:

Anchor not found: h:\MP3H:\MP3\Test\01.mp3
But it looks to me like the problem is with prepending the share path before the file path.
Hmm... Am I right in thinking that the share path in your pyTivo.conf has the lowercase 'h' drive letter, as shown, while the .m3u has uppercase? That makes the strings not match.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #1883
ebf

Good idea.

Quote:
Not much you can do. A show will either have a seriesId, or not. You can not make a new one up for a series, it must be known to the TiVo (via guide data).

You have a couple of options/work-arounds. First, you could choose to avoid using seriesId for those shows without seriesId's, and have them not group. Secondly, you could choose a seriesId for a show that DOES have a seriesId (perhaps one that's similarly named) and group your shows that way.
That's a good idea. Unfortunatly, my second attempt to try pyTiVo has fallen short again. I got my PC show show up once in Now Playing and then never again. I posted my problem over in the pyTiVo support forum yesterday in the
Help- nothing shows up in NPL
thread.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #1884
thczv

Quote:
Hmm... Am I right in thinking that the share path in your pyTivo.conf has the lowercase 'h' drive letter, as shown, while the .m3u has uppercase? That makes the strings not match.
Yes, that is right. I made the share path in pyTivo.conf match the file paths in the m3u file, and it appears to be working. I like it when the fixes are simple.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #1885
bholzm1

Quote:
This is pyTivo behaving normally under a default configuration. Videos under 1280x720 are passed to the TiVoHD and Series3 unaltered, since they can accomodate a video variety of MPEG-2 video formats. Videos over 1280x720 are downscaled to 720p. This was chosen as a reasonable default value, in order to keep the transcoding CPU utilization down, and the speed of transfers to the TiVo at a reasonable level. Should you wish to transcode your videos to a higher resolution, feel free to do so. Specifying the "height", "width" and "video_br" parameters should get you what you want.
Even setting height, width, and video_br won't get exactly what he wants -- setting height=1080 and width=1920 will probably end up transferring the 1920x800 trailer at native resolution to the TiVO, which will then downscale it to 720p instead of padding the top and bottom.

You can try this patch I suggested here: http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/viewtopic.php?t=196 and see if that does the trick.
bholzm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #1886
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholzm1 View Post
Even setting height, width, and video_br won't get exactly what he wants -- setting height=1080 and width=1920 will probably end up transferring the 1920x800 trailer at native resolution to the TiVO, which will then downscale it to 720p instead of padding the top and bottom.

You can try this patch I suggested here: http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/viewtopic.php?t=196 and see if that does the trick.
Hasn't pyTivo done its job at that point, get the video into the TiVoHD unaltered ? Why would the TiVoHD downrez the 1920x1080 video to 720p ? The only reason I can figure would be that the TiVoHD is configured to output 720p.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #1887
PaulS

Quote:
That's a good idea. Unfortunatly, my second attempt to try pyTiVo has fallen short again. I got my PC show show up once in Now Playing and then never again. I posted my problem over in the pyTiVo support forum yesterday in the
Help- nothing shows up in NPL
thread.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Obviously sounds like something still isn't right. I would try re-installing a current snapshot (perhaps the Windows installer I posted above) and try again with a very simple configuration. If that still doesn't work, you should post your config and debug.txt output here so that we can help figure out your problem.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #1888
bholzm1

Quote:
Hasn't pyTivo done its job at that point, get the video into the TiVoHD unaltered ? Why would the TiVoHD downrez the 1920x1080 video to 720p ? The only reason I can figure would be that the TiVoHD is configured to output 720p.
The reason is that the source video is 1920x800,not 1920x1080. The TivoHD is configured for Native output -- I haven't thought to see what it does with 1920x1080 when you force it to 1080i fixed..
bholzm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #1889
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholzm1 View Post
The reason is that the source video is 1920x800,not 1920x1080. The TivoHD is configured for Native output -- I haven't thought to see what it does with 1920x1080 when you force it to 1080i fixed..
Ahhhh... I gotcha. I read the first post too quickly, and missed the difference in vertical resolution.

wgw has recently merged some PAR (pixel aspect ratio) code into his branch. This may or may not also fix the problem.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #1890
Kershek

After I told a friend of mine to check out PyTiVo, he downloaded it from their site and his AVAST A/V detected a Trojan. He immediately removed it and told me he's not using it. Beware!

**EDIT**
There is no Trojan in PyTiVo - As menos helpfully mentions in the next post, this is a false positive. Please see his link at http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/index.php for the discussion forum related to this. Plus, the newest version of PyTiVo doesn't even have the false positive. Huzzah!

Last edited by Kershek : 03-24-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote