TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #1801
wgw

@ dlfl

Yes, Converting to .ts is a way to force pyTivo to transcode any recording, regardless of the bit rate. That was written before I modified pyTivo to transcode any file with a bit rate above max_video_br or max_audio_br. You're correct, pyTivo will now take care of this without the need to convert to .ts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #1802
jcthorne

HARD error in ffmpeg?

When pytivo is using ffmpeg to re-encode .mkv files for my HD tivo box, occaisionally a file will cause ffmpeg to lock up. When it does so, it trips the entire computer and reboots Windows XP. Took me a while to find the problem and its not pytivo as I can duplicate the problem with ffmpeg as a command line program. Not all files, just some, but it is very repeatable and happens at the same point in the file each time.

I just loaded the new Feb 5 windows executeable from build 11870 and it seems to do the same.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Is there some other tool or workaround for these files? Seems a problem with ffmpeg as it should error and quit, not lock up the OS

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #1803
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

That is extremely abnormal.

Can you point me to one of the bad files?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #1804
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
When pytivo is using ffmpeg to re-encode .mkv files for my HD tivo box, occaisionally a file will cause ffmpeg to lock up. When it does so, it trips the entire computer and reboots Windows XP.
May want to verify your memory is not faulty. Glitchy ram will do weird things at odd times.

http://www.memtest86.com/
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #1805
fred2

I was using a folder-problematic version for quite a while.

I installed a newer version about two weeks ago. It appeared to work. But it was NOT installed as a service so I ran the service cmd line. It installed but

I get:

"The pyTivo service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

WinXP SP2.

I then replaced this newer version with my older (non-folders) by copying everything back into the pyTivo folder and it worked.

Just tried reversing that process - copying everything from the new install back again and again get that quoted text above.

So pytivo is NOT present when I go down to my tivo.

Any help appreciated.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #1806
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
May want to verify your memory is not faulty. Glitchy ram will do weird things at odd times.

http://www.memtest86.com/
You were right. My overclocked but stable machine was not as stable as I thought it was. Brought it down from 3.4Ghz to 3.0 and the problems went away... Gee

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #1807
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
You were right. My overclocked but stable machine was not as stable as I thought it was. Brought it down from 3.4Ghz to 3.0 and the problems went away... Gee

greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #1808
ITGuy72

Meta Generator stopped working?

Meta generator just stopped returning any results about a week ago. Anyone else having trouble with this?
ITGuy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #1809
PaulS

MetaGenerator issues queries to a couple of websites to retrieve data concerning TV shows and movies. Both of them went off-line last month, for unrelated reasons. The TV show site should be back up, and word has it that the movie site will be back up shortly. MasterCephus is on top of it, so don't worry.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #1810
MasterCephus

Yeah, trying to be

As far as I know, tvdb data (TV shows) should be working. They are changing their interfaces starting March 1st (I think). When they do that, MG will stop working.

I am in the testing phase of implementing the new interfaces for tvdb. It works for the most part...some minor bugs. I hope to release a new version (1.4.0.0) by the end of the day which should keep the TV shows working.

The movies are a different story. As far as I know, zag2me has moved the data to a new host, and the site is working. However, he is having some issues with data retrieval. As soon as he gets those issues worked out, MG movie part should just start working for all versions.

Sorry about all of this, but I think we'll be back on track shortly.

(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #1811
MasterCephus

New version of the metagenerator!

fixed bug(s)
-fixed searching for tv show and movie at the same time

enhancement(s)
-transitioned to new tvdb.com interfaces
-SeriesID obtained from tvdb.com data and not from local db

see my signature to download

(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #1812
mrbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thczv View Post
I went over to the pyTivo discussion forum to see what issues shredhead is having. Maybe I am misunderstanding them (probably likely), but his issues seem a little different than mine. I never get any errors when I try to play playlists, at least not on the tivo and not on the pyTivo window. My tivo acts exactly like it is playing the playlist, except that music doesn't actually play and the green progress bar never advances beyond 0:00. Maybe if I left it going long enough I would get some kind of error.
I have the same problem as you thczv, not as shredhead. I am using the latest snapshot on Windows XP. I am going to try on my fedora core 6 machine to compare. Did you ever get it figured out?
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #1813
thczv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
I have the same problem as you thczv, not as shredhead. I am using the latest snapshot on Windows XP. I am going to try on my fedora core 6 machine to compare. Did you ever get it figured out?
I never did figure it out. For now I am using the Tivo Desktop server for playlists, while also running pyTivo for video. I would love to get pyTivo working for everything.
thczv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #1814
zirzlo

Hello all,

So, I just started using pyTivo this past week. I love it! Thank you!!!

But (come on, you knew there was one coming), I'm having or rather had issues getting it to recognize my music store and thought I'd post my observations here for anyone that might run into the same thing (at least I'm trying to be helpful)

All of my music is stored on an Infrant NAS device under \\ratnas\media\music

I have the latest pyTivo from wgw installed (the most recent one I found was the one from about 80 minutes ago, the Master one with the description of 'notify when debug enabled')

Now, video works fine. My issue was with music. I have pyTivo installed as a service (WinXP SP2). In my pyTivo.conf file, I initially setup the music parms as:

[My Music]
type=music
path=\\ratnas\media\music

Then, I restarted the service. So far, so good. But when I navigated to My Music on my TiVo, it would give me an error of:

'An unexpected error occurred while accessing the server. (Error#3-5-6)'

So, I figured maybe pyTivo didn't understand UNC pathnames, so I mapped a drive, M, to this share, changed pyTivo.conf to point to M:, restarted the service and tried to access my music on the TiVo and got the same error.

Then, I thought, OK, the PyTivo service can't access the NAS because it is launching with System credentials, so I changed the service to startup using my own credentials, which are the same on the NAS, and restarted the service again. But again, from the TiVo, I got the same error. At this point, the conf file was still pointing to the mapped drive, M.

So, since it was running as a service, I couldn't really tell what was going on when the TiVo spit out this error. So, I stopped the service and launched pyTivo from the command line so I could see the console. I then went back into the TiVo and tried to access the music, expecting to get the same error since I hadn't changed anything at this point other than how I was running pyTivo. Lo and behold, it displayed all my music just fine. At this point, I had to just sit there for a minute and scratch my head.

OK, done scratching! I killed pyTivo on the command line. I went back into the conf file and changed the music share info back to the original settings of:

[My Music]
type=music
path=\\ratnas\media\music

Then I went back and restarted the service, which is now running under my creds. Back to the TiVo and....Voila! Everything works just great now. Well, except for the fact that I can't play any of my FLAC files (I guess ffmpeg doesn't do FLAC).

So, what did I learn?

-pyTivo works with UNC, but NOT mapped drives (when run as a service)
-If pyTivo is running as a service, in order for it to work with UNC locations, you need to change the service to use credentials that have access to that location.
-If pyTivo is started from the command line and you are logged on as a user that has access to the UNC location or mapped drive, everything works.

Hope this helps someone else!

P.S. - are there any plans to support FLAC or is that a function of ffmpeg and therefore not under the control of pyTivo?
zirzlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 PM   #1815
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirzlo View Post
P.S. - are there any plans to support FLAC or is that a function of ffmpeg and therefore not under the control of pyTivo?
Those are some helpful notes on the windows service/networked drives troubles that people commonly come up against.

I don't have any FLAC files in my library, but here's the output of my self-compiled ffmpeg:
Code:
cassidy@tungsten:~/Desktop$ ffmpeg -i newkid.flac -acodec libmp3lame newkid.mp3
FFmpeg version SVN-r11546, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-liba52 --enable-libgsm --enable-libdc1394 --disable-debug --enable-shared --enable-libxvid --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libfaad --enable-x11grab --enable-swscaler --prefix=/usr/local
  libavutil version: 49.6.0
  libavcodec version: 51.49.0
  libavformat version: 52.4.0
  libavdevice version: 52.0.0
  built on Jan 17 2008 19:03:24, gcc: 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
Input #0, flac, from 'newkid.flac':
  Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0: Audio: flac, 44100 Hz, stereo
Output #0, mp3, to 'newkid.mp3':
    Stream #0.0: Audio: libmp3lame, 44100 Hz, stereo, 64 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop encoding
size=     153kB time=19.6 bitrate=  64.0kbits/s    
video:0kB audio:153kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.019779%
cassidy@tungsten:~/Desktop$
(I got the test file from here: http://ff123.net/samples.html )
The mp3 played fine on my pc. I can't test the TiVo at the moment, sorry. You could try running ffmpeg by hand on one of your files, to see if it can both correctly decode flac, then re-encode it to mp3. If so, this could be a pyTiVo issue. If not, you may need to find a different ffmpeg binary, or compile your own. I'm not sure if the developers are building one for the windows build of pyTiVo or not.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #1816
lrhorer

Between a rock and a hard place

The TiVo bug which causes high bandwidth programs to suffer errors is giving me a headache, and I was hoping to get pyTiVo to alleviate it somewhat for the time being. I am able to get pyTiVo not to transcode at all, which results on great looking videos, but high bandwidth content suffers major video and audio skips when played back on the TiVo. Of course I can enable transcoding, but then ffmpeg also transcodes the audio, which I don't want, and transcodes the video to 4Mbps, which alleviates the skipping, but produces quite a few artifacts and causes me to wind up with simple stereo audio rather than AC3. I've tried various options, but nothing I've tried will get ffmpeg to transcode at , say 8 or 10Mbps rather than just 4, and it always comes out with transcoded audio. Is there a way to get ffmpeg to transcode to 8 or 10Mbps and not transcode the audio?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:01 AM   #1817
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirzlo View Post
'An unexpected error occurred while accessing the server. (Error#3-5-6)'
You should know that this error occurs spontaneously at times with the music plugin (only when running on Windows -- I've never seen it happen in Linux). A similar error can occur with the photo plugin.

Quote:
Just add '.flac' to the list of supported extensions near the top of music.py ("TRANSCODE"). The current list is not comprehensive... I asked for help on that, but no one responded. Anyway, I'll add .flac for the future.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #1818
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The TiVo bug which causes high bandwidth programs to suffer errors is giving me a headache, and I was hoping to get pyTiVo to alleviate it somewhat for the time being. I am able to get pyTiVo not to transcode at all, which results on great looking videos, but high bandwidth content suffers major video and audio skips when played back on the TiVo. Of course I can enable transcoding, but then ffmpeg also transcodes the audio, which I don't want, and transcodes the video to 4Mbps, which alleviates the skipping, but produces quite a few artifacts and causes me to wind up with simple stereo audio rather than AC3. I've tried various options, but nothing I've tried will get ffmpeg to transcode at , say 8 or 10Mbps rather than just 4, and it always comes out with transcoded audio. Is there a way to get ffmpeg to transcode to 8 or 10Mbps and not transcode the audio?
You should be able to specify an video bitrate ("video_br") in your pytivo.conf file. Try assigning it to 8192k or 10240k and see if that clears up your artifacting.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #1819
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You should know that this error occurs spontaneously at times with the music plugin (only when running on Windows -- I've never seen it happen in Linux). A similar error can occur with the photo plugin.
I am seeing this on my kurobox running debian but not from windows xp. It is random in that it will happen after a random number of page downs. At first I thought it might be content related, but then I saw that pages which erred one time displayed fine the next. I am thinking it might be resource problems on the Kuro, it is pretty wimpy. I hope to put some time into looking at it this weekend.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #1820
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
You should know that this error occurs spontaneously at times with the music plugin (only when running on Windows -- I've never seen it happen in Linux).
I've gotten the 3-5-6 error using your music plugin on Linux ... it was when I had those directory names with special characters.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #1821
lrhorer

Not the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
You should be able to specify an video bitrate ("video_br") in your pytivo.conf file. Try assigning it to 8192k or 10240k and see if that clears up your artifacting.
I tried that, but it still transcodes to 4096K and transcodes the audio. That's the point, I can't get it to transcode higher than 4M.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #1822
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I tried that, but it still transcodes to 4096K and transcodes the audio. That's the point, I can't get it to transcode higher than 4M.
Then you'll have to manually over-ride the ffmpeg_parms line in your pytivo.conf file to hard-code the video_br.

It's absolutely something you can do. I've over-ridden my set up to transcode to 10Mbps. However, I'm at work, and pyTivo's at home, so I can't attach my config at the moment.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #1823
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I've gotten the 3-5-6 error using your music plugin on Linux ... it was when I had those directory names with special characters.
That's a different issue. I'm talking about it coming up for no detectable reason at all.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #1824
lrhorer

Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Then you'll have to manually over-ride the ffmpeg_parms line in your pytivo.conf file to hard-code the video_br.

It's absolutely something you can do. I've over-ridden my set up to transcode to 10Mbps. However, I'm at work, and pyTivo's at home, so I can't attach my config at the moment.
Well, it's getting closer, but it still isn't right. No matter what I try, it transcodes the audio (or refuses to work at all) from 5:1 to regular stereo or else trashes the audio. It doesn't sound bad in stereo, but it's nowhere nearly as rich as 5:1. I tired - ac 5 and -ac 5:1, but both result in really horrible sounding 5 channel audio. It also transcodes to 1440 x 720 no matter what I try. I've done -s hd1080 and -s 1920x1080, but it still down-reses from 1920 x 1080 to 1440 x 720.

Here is my current parms:
Code:
ffmpeg_prams = -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -s 1920x1080 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -acodec ac3 -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 48000 -f vob -

Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #1825
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Use "-acodec copy" to keep it from transcoding the audio (and take out the "-ac 2").

Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #1826
lrhorer

Illumination

Quote:
Use "-acodec copy" to keep it from transcoding the audio (and take out the "-ac 2").
Ah! I saw that option on the support page, but I didn't understand what it meant.

OK, so now what about the fact it won't keep the video resolution? The video looks pretty good at 1440 x 720 and about 6 - 7 Mbps, but there are still artifacts in some scenes, especially low light scenes with a lot of raster (like the evening scenes in Lawrence of Arabia with lots of sand in the background).
Old 03-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #1827
wgw

lrhorer,

It sounds like you have an S3/HD Tivo. If you download the latest version from here, and use the conf in the same post, I think it will provide the results you are looking for.

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/viewtopic.php?p=518#518

It will retain all the following aspects of the source file automatically: ac3 audio, resolution, frequency, frame rate. mpeg video will not be re-encoded unless bitrate is above 17408k. And audio will not be re-encoded unless it is above 448k.

I think the only thing you would want to change is to set max_video_br=12000k since you are trying to force pyTivo to transcode high video bitrate sources to reduce pixelation problems on the tivo.

The pyTivo Wiki also provides a detailed description of the other various settings.
http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/ConfigurepyTivo

Old 03-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #1828
wgw

lrhorer,

I have updated the Wiki with the most current default ffmpeg_prams. It was quite outdated and appears to have been the source of your troubles. The example in pytivo.conf.dist distributed with pytivo is usually kept more up-to-date.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #1829
lrhorer

Rock on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
It sounds like you have an S3/HD Tivo.
It even looks like it and smells like it, so I probably do.

Quote:
If you download the latest version from here, and use the conf in the same post, I think it will provide the results you are looking for.
Oh, that's *MUCH* better. Thanks a ton!

Quote:
I think the only thing you would want to change is to set max_video_br=12000k since you are trying to force pyTivo to transcode high video bitrate sources to reduce pixelation problems on the tivo.
Even without it, it's working vastly better than before. You're right, though, some shows with bit rates below 17M still have some issues. Not surprisingly they are much less problematical than those with bit rates above 17M, but I think I'll put in the 12M limit anyway, or maybe play around with it a bit to find an optimal value which reduces transcoding artifacts to a minimum while getting rid of most of the skipping issues. Once again, thank you.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #1830
lrhorer

Folders are working!

Hey, folders are working! I don't know if this is old news or not. I just did a search of this thread and didn't find anything conclusive, but I downloaded wgw's most recent version, and folders are working great now. The main NPL shows the correct number of items in each folder, and I can browse a folder, go back up one level, browse another folder, and get the correct folder information for the second folder. Did someone figure a way around TiVo's quirky folder handling, or is this something TiVo fixed when I wasn't looking?