TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #1771
cr33p

I just recently updated to the subfolders branch release and started using the metadata generator, might I say AMAZING! Ive been using pyTivo almost since it was started. Anyways quick question, am I correct in assuming with using the metadata that if I have more then one show transferred to my Tivo box with the same series ID that they should fall into groups? I tested it with two episodes of Weeds from season 3 and they have the same series ID but failed to group themselves.

Thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #1772
TreborPugly
Unreal!

The series ID has to be for something that's currently in your guide data. So even having the same series ID, things won't group unless your Tivo already "knows" about that series.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #1773
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
The series ID has to be for something that's currently in your guide data. So even having the same series ID, things won't group unless your Tivo already "knows" about that series.

Ahh I had a suspicion about that, very good to know thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #1774
eb3604
Go Yankees

no I don't think that is true. I have copied over some episodes of Mr Bean, which isnt aired anymore. and it groups them into folders.
eb3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #1775
MasterCephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zag2me View Post
Thanks for updating it, this program has been causing lots of 404 errors on my site!

If anyone is using the plugin for movies, can they help out with the movie-xml site, just register and help keep the data current. It helps out everyone.
Sorry about that....BTW, what you guys do there is awsome!

Everyone does need to go to the site and help out...this is a great community led project that helps with this....

Movie-XML

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #1776
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3604 View Post
no I don't think that is true. I have copied over some episodes of Mr Bean, which isnt aired anymore. and it groups them into folders.

According to zap2it is is still aired. In the next two weeks it only shows up on Telemundo though.
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #1777
eb3604
Go Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
According to zap2it is is still aired. In the next two weeks it only shows up on Telemundo though.
seriously? mr bean in spanish. i have to watch that.
eb3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #1778
TiVo Steve

An "Installer" would be great

Like Galleon has (had). It must be the "Mad Cow" syndrome, but this is not easy to get working...
TiVo Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #1779
PaulS

There has been work done on a Windows installer. It's pretty basic right now, but it's actively being developed. Check it out HERE.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #1780
Danimal4326

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
Sorry about that....BTW, what you guys do there is awsome!

Everyone does need to go to the site and help out...this is a great community led project that helps with this....

Movie-XML
Has anyone had success adding new movies to the movie-XML site? It doesn't seem to work for me..
Danimal4326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #1781
TiVo Steve

That was easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
There has been work done on a Windows installer. It's pretty basic right now, but it's actively being developed. Check it out HERE.
Thank you.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #1782
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Just got pyTivo installed and running on a Fedora 8 box and so far I likey!!!

One little bit of weirdness: The pyTivoService.py file shows a line to open and write to a log.txt file. This is not happening on my system. I've installed the app to /usr/local/pytivo and made the corrections in the /etc/init.d file for startup to point there. It runs just fine, it sees my videos and music and serves them up to the TiVo's just fine. But that log does not get opened or written to.

I ran "strace python /usr/local/pyTivo.py" and I get the strace stuff, I get the HTTP style output in the terminal, but I still get no log. And strace output shows nothing about that log.txt file ever being referenced.

ADDED: The init.d script starts the app with:
Quote:
python2.4 /usr/local/pyTivo/pyTivo.py > /dev/null 2>&1 &
Is that redirect to /dev/null keeping what should go in the log from getting there or is the logging done somewhere else?
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #1783
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The log file in pyTivoService.py is set up by it... and you're not using it... it's only for Windows (plus you're calling pyTivo.py directly, which, even in Windows, would not invoke pyTivoService.py).

And you could indeed get a log by redirecting the output of pyTivo.py to a log file instead of to /dev/null, yes.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-02-2008 at 12:38 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #1784
lrhorer

Error under Linux

I've tried pyTiVo under Windows and under a Linux machine with no problems, but when I just now installed pyTiVo on the new server, it isn't working. When I attempt to download a movie, it's giving me the following:

Code:
FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
  configuration:  --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-pthreads --enable-vorbis --enable-libogg --enable-a52 --enable-dts --enable-libgsm --enable-dc1394 --disable-debug --enable-shared --prefix=/usr
  libavutil version: 0d.49.0.0
  libavcodec version: 0d.51.11.0
  libavformat version: 0d.50.5.0
  built on Mar 26 2007 14:28:38, gcc: 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
Input #0, mpeg, from '/RAID/Recordings/Superman: The Movie (Recorded Sat Feb 2 2008 08 30PM HDNETMV).mpg':
  Duration: 02:34:59.7, start: 0.200000, bitrate: 17024 kb/s
  Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 1920x1080, 38810 kb/s, 29.97 fps(r)
  Stream #0.1[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5 channels, 384 kb/s
Output #0, vob, to 'pipe:':
  Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 544x480, q=2-31, 4096 kb/s, 29.97 fps(c)
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 44100 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
  Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
[mpeg2video @ 0x2b999c4863d0]bitrate above max bitrate
Error while opening codec for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
What do I need to change? This file was originally pulled off a TiVo, and the only thing done to it was to run it through Video Redo Quickfix to clear any errors and convert it to .mpg. It transfers fine under pyTiVo / Windows.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #1785
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Dunno, but you might have to upgrade your ffmpeg.

Ah... the top Google result for "bitrate above max bitrate" is your post, but here's a relevant one from near the top:

http://pytivo.armooo.net/ticket/25

Or you could upgrade your pyTivo. You don't say what version you're trying to use, but it looks like the default max video bitrate was changed from M to K notation sometime between the 2007-11-25 and 2007-12-31 versions.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-04-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #1786
TiVo Steve

MKV success story

I transferred a 1280x720 "MKV" file (Torchwood/BBC HD) to my THD using pyTivo , the Windows installer version. Worked great. But I sure do need a bigger drive!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #1787
TreborPugly
Unreal!

For those who don't check out The pyTivo Forum, there's been a pretty major new discovery by "smack000" (not sure if it's the same as "smack" on here). He's found a fix to the subfolders bug in the Tivo side since version 8.3 of the Tivo software. It only works for one level of subfolders, but that's a pretty significant improvement.

Here's a link to the snapshot I've used, from wmcbrine's development branch.

Even when it does get confused about levels beyond the first subfolders, the Tivo just gets confused, no crashes.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #1788
fred2

First, THANKS for the NEW INSTALLER.

It appears to have worked as I just checked and an episode of Monk seems to be playing and it showed my folders and the files and moving between folders showed correct files (I did not need to press INFO to get it to clear up mixed up info).

I do need to get my mp3 directories showing and I'd like to try getting the photo stuff I've read about.

ONE ISSUE:

As has been mentioned before this thread is HUGE and trying to find something is hard so I hope this is not something I missed in a search:

Is there a way to be more generic in listing drives and folders. My problem is that about each time I boot, my usb hard drives hanging off the system get reLETTERED. Either one is now on that was off or visa versa. So the files I want are in L:\MyTivo one time and K:\MyTivo the next time. I keep editing the conf file to keep up with these changes but there must be a workaround.

Thanks for any answers

and again, THANKS for PyTivo and the new installer.

PS: Oh, I should add that while installing it said it did NOT find a python "whatever" but went ahead. It appears to be running so I guess it found what it needed from my previous setup.

Last edited by fred2 : 02-08-2008 at 02:59 PM.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #1789
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
As has been mentioned before this thread is HUGE and trying to find something is hard so I hope this is not something I missed in a search:
A dedicated pyTivo forum has been set up to discuss issues more readily : pyTivo Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
Is there a way to be more generic in listing drives and folders. My problem is that about each time I boot, my usb hard drives hanging off the system get reLETTERED. Either one is now on that was off or visa versa. So the files I want are in L:\MyTivo one time and K:\MyTivo the next time. I keep editing the conf file to keep up with these changes but there must be a workaround.
Nope, nothing specifically in pyTivo to handle this. If Windows is re-mapping your drive letters, pyTivo will have no idea that something under the covers has changed.

So, you can try and figure out why Windows is remapping your drive letters (and stop it), or perhaps try something else. What happens if you list BOTH possible drives as shares in your pyTivo.conf file ?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #1790
fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
A dedicated pyTivo forum has been set up to discuss issues more readily : pyTivo Forum

Nope, nothing specifically in pyTivo to handle this. If Windows is re-mapping your drive letters, pyTivo will have no idea that something under the covers has changed.

So, you can try and figure out why Windows is remapping your drive letters (and stop it), or perhaps try something else. What happens if you list BOTH possible drives as shares in your pyTivo.conf file ?
I did find the forum. I know why Windows is doing it. Because sometimes I will power one of those usb drives off. It is therefore not initially ON when I reboot. If I turn it or others on in a different order or skip turning some on, then they get relettered (re assigned). I have used your suggested work around but then the MyPlaying List gets cluttered. But you have answered my question. I will hoping for something like a MyComputer and then I could drill down to the drive and then folder I know is connected.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #1791
mikeylikesit40

Sub folders work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
For those who don't check out The pyTivo Forum, there's been a pretty major new discovery by "smack000" (not sure if it's the same as "smack" on here). He's found a fix to the subfolders bug in the Tivo side since version 8.3 of the Tivo software. It only works for one level of subfolders, but that's a pretty significant improvement.

Here's a link to the snapshot I've used, from wmcbrine's development branch.

Even when it does get confused about levels beyond the first subfolders, the Tivo just gets confused, no crashes.

Umm... this has been working for a long time with multiple sub-folders.

12-09 Master with the Hack83 changes added back in along with tickets 56 thru 60.

That's the build I created using a forum entry way back from the beginning of December.

I haven't had a crash since before I installed it and have successfully transferred 4 seasons of Voyager, multiple Primeval episodes, lots of movies, etc. Probably about 150 transfers so far.

My sub-folders are set up like this.

M:\My Media\TV\{Genre}\{Show}\{Season}\{Episode Name}
and
M:\My Media\Movies\New
M:\My Media\Movies\Old
M:\My Media\Movies\Series\{Series Name. example 007}\{Movie Name}

My config file points to
M:\My Media\TV
and
M:\My Media\Movies
mikeylikesit40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #1792
mikeylikesit40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit40 View Post
Umm... this has been working for a long time with multiple sub-folders.

12-09 Master with the Hack83 changes added back in along with tickets 56 thru 60.

That's the build I created using a forum entry way back from the beginning of December.
Actually krkeegan-6bdab3e7e0f2b0534d8650bf6f2d0fd8b1514fc2.tar appears to have subfolders completely fixed also. That's from Jan 2nd.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #1793
TreborPugly
Unreal!

The older fix is quite large, was never combined into armoo's main brainch, and causes crashes on the TiVo if you navigate too quickly. The new one is only a five-line fix, and doesn't crash. My head's up was for anyone who had crash problems with Keegan's hack. (like I did)
Old 02-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #1794
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Also of note: the 5-line subfolder support only lets you go one level down. However, if you want to go deeper, it also works in combination with KRKeegan's hack83, making it faster and more stable.

And, the music module now does transcoding (meaning, it supports other formats besides MP3).

Old 02-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #1795
mikeylikesit40

Actually I have not crashed at all with my sub-folder hack

I appreciate the immediate need to state things like ...thats old and large and crashes...

However, if you read my post, I haven't had any crashes and I'm going 3 to 6 subfolders deep in some of my shares.

I can't find the post now but somewhere back between page 44 and 52 there was someone who found a little one line change that stopped sub-fodlers from crashing the Tivo.

There was also another post about the video_file_filter being changed and if you reverted that back to the sub-folders version, viola... the new version was missing a parameter that the sub-folders version wanted.

So I patched a master (I checked and it was 12-31's) with the sub-folder hack83 code. Changed the calls to video_file_filter and kept the sub-folder version of that code. Then applied that guys little one line patch.

So, if I am mis-reading you, sorry but it seems like no one has a PyTivo version that handles multiple sub-folders and is stable.... Right?

If you want one, let me know.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #1796
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
I appreciate the immediate need to state things like ...thats old and large and crashes...

However, if you read my post, I haven't had any crashes and I'm going 3 to 6 subfolders deep in some of my shares.

I can't find the post now but somewhere back between page 44 and 52 there was someone who found a little one line change that stopped sub-fodlers from crashing the Tivo.

There was also another post about the video_file_filter being changed and if you reverted that back to the sub-folders version, viola... the new version was missing a parameter that the sub-folders version wanted.

So I patched a master (I checked and it was 12-31's) with the sub-folder hack83 code. Changed the calls to video_file_filter and kept the sub-folder version of that code. Then applied that guys little one line patch.

So, if I am mis-reading you, sorry but it seems like no one has a PyTivo version that handles multiple sub-folders and is stable.... Right?

If you want one, let me know.
Does your current code have all the metadata stuff in it? I had a version I was pretty happy with in December too - but it started crashing regularly again when my Series 2 was updated to version 9. (lots of discussion about this between Keegan and myself in these pages) Furthermore, as this flurry of development for metadata took place, the subfolders hack would regularly stop working. So a smaller fix is very attractive.

Sorry I didn't say in my earlier fix that this is an alternative to the hack83 fix, but I figured people who wanted such a fix would be interested.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #1797
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
No, not right.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #1798
mikeylikesit40

Hmmm... sub-folder hacks

Okay, so who has a new stable sub-folder PyTivo.

I just downloaded the latest krkegan because it seemed to have all the fixes and goodies I want. Figured I'd try all the latest code.

It's great and stable (even handling exceptions) except that every 3rd or 4th transfer stops halfway thru.

Also, some of my avi's get marked as copy protected.

If I restart PyTivo, then the copy protected mark disappears from those files but re-appears on others.

Are these known problems? Is there a different branch that doesn't have the problems?

I'd be happy to upgrade from my month old compile because I'd like to get music and photos. The master from 12-31 didn't do these well.

However, I've got a terabyte of video I'm serving just fine and I'm loath to give that stability up.

Suggestions?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #1799
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There were a couple of reports of missing ("copy-protected") files with earlier versions, but that was rectified with the latest version, which extended the timeout. (The problem is that pyTivo only gives ffmpeg a few seconds -- previously four, now ten -- to report on the validity of a video; if pyTivo doesn't hear back by then, it kills ffmpeg and marks the video invalid. This was apparently a remedy to ffmpeg hanging in an earlier version.) It's likely that you had the same problem with your old version, but didn't realize it, because the files would simply be omitted from the list instead of displayed as copy-protected. In any case, it's a symptom of an abnormally slow system -- it shouldn't take ten seconds, or even four, for ffmpeg to answer.

I hadn't seen anyone report every third or fourth transfer aborting before now.

It's possible that both problems would be resolved by reverting just your copy of ffmpeg_mp2.exe to the old version.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #1800
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@wgw

I happened to notice this quote from you in the HD sticky on TTG/MRVTTCB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw
An easy way to downsample the recording is to use a program like VideoReDo to convert the .tivo or mpg file to a .ts file (transport stream). Then use pyTivo or Tivo.Net to transfer the file to the Tivo. These programs will transcode the recording to a lower bitrate that is more palatable to the current tivo conversion process.
I'm puzzled why it would be preferable to feed a .ts to pyTivo, rather than just mpeg2? If the mpeg2 isn't TiVo-compatible pyTivo will transcode it anyway, correct? Or is this because at least some versions of pyTivo will transfer any mpeg2 without transcoding to HD/S3 tivos? Thus the .ts is a way to force transcoding (?).

Or has this behavior become common to all pyTivo versions?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote