TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #1321
MasterCephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo View Post
You should now be able to set all this metadata in the text file. If it starts with a 'v' you can have more than one line with that type of data.

Code:
seriesId
showingBits
time
vActor
vChoreographer
description
vDirector
episodeNumber
title
vExecProducer
vProgramGenre
vGuestStar
vHost
isEpisode
originalAirDate
vProducer
vSeriesGenre
seriesTitle
seriesTitle
vWriter
displayMajorNumber
displayMinorNumber
callsign
startTime
stopTime
Are these the only valid items for metadata? This was taken a while back. Just wondering if any new items had been added.

If this is it, Could we add rating? I think that would be a good field to have?

Could someone who knows what each field is supposed to be add a page to the Wiki explaining each field?
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #1322
ruttmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
If this is it, Could we add rating? I think that would be a good field to have?
I agree, a rating field would be nice.
Quote:
Could someone who knows what each field is supposed to be add a page to the Wiki explaining each field?
In my signature line is a link to a document that describes the content, formatting an behavior of most of those fields (also, there is a link to an Excel document that will create most of the above fields). I will say that most of what isn't in my document is of the type v<some person> (vProducer, vChoreographer, etc.) and you can put anything there, no specific formatting is required. you can usually include those fields in the metadata .txt document and leave them blank without them causing any problems. Also, see post 1314 for what you can expect a metadata file to look when formatted properly.
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- d421

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ruttmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 AM   #1323
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamkent View Post
Thanks dlfl! Since I've edited a number of my files since downloading the build, can you provide some context to the line that needs to be replaced?

Thanks!
It's the only line in the file containing 'seriesTitle' .

It's in function: def __metadata(self, full_path):

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #1324
MasterCephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttmeister View Post
I agree, a rating field would be nice.

In my signature line is a link to a document that describes the content, formatting an behavior of most of those fields (also, there is a link to an Excel document that will create most of the above fields). I will say that most of what isn't in my document is of the type v<some person> (vProducer, vChoreographer, etc.) and you can put anything there, no specific formatting is required. you can usually include those fields in the metadata .txt document and leave them blank without them causing any problems. Also, see post 1314 for what you can expect a metadata file to look when formatted properly.
I know most of them, but I am pretty much finished on creating a GUI to create the metadata for you. I am using the data from http://thetvdb.com/ for tv shows and http://www.movie-xml.com/ for movies. I get pretty much most of the data, but there is some things that it doesn't get...I'll have to look.

I also will need permission to allow the public to use my little app per the above sites. It's a C# .NET application.

Basically, you search for either a movie or tv show. If it's a movie you search for the movie, choose it and the data shows up on a form. You have the ability to add, remove, or change any of the data on the form. Then you just choose the video file you want to link it to and it saves it as that file name plus the .txt extension.

If you search for a tv show, you search for the show, then you find the episode you want through a tree based on seasons. You can do the same as far as changing the data as like the movies.

I am testing it and when I get comfortable enough to release it to a few, I'll ask for volunteers.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #1325
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
That's a nice fix, thanks.

I'm having a problem now that I haven't had before. on my 240 series 2 when i try to enter a subfolder, it now says "This Group is empty....." when before it would show the first folder I entered. At least then I could transfer a program from the first folder, now nothing shows up. Any ideas?
First, nice job on the metadata notes, thanks!

I see you have a model 649. Does this problem occur on it too?

Do you have auto_subshares= True in your config file for any of the shares?

When I have this set to true the subfolder shows up both as a subfolder under the share folder AND as a separate folder at the share folder level.

and
Old 12-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #1326
ruttmeister

MasterCephus-

That sounds great, a lot better than my Excel sheet! I will offer any input I can, but like I've said before, I have no programming experience whatsoever. However, when you're ready to test it, you can believe I'll be one of your first volunteers!
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #1327
ruttmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
First, nice job on the metadata notes, thanks!
I will continue to update it as i learn more about all the fields, and I intend to expand to a document that is relevant to the 649 models, as the current one is only relevant to the 240 models.

Quote:
I see you have a model 649. Does this problem occur on it too?

Do you have auto_subshares= True in your config file for any of the shares?

When I have this set to true the subfolder shows up both as a subfolder under the share folder AND as a separate folder at the share folder level.
Well, here's what I had. I didn't even set a line in my config file for auto_subshares, and hadn't had a problem until I posted that. Here's what my config file looked like:

[Frank's Videos]
type = video
path = C:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\My Documents\My Videos

[Test Videos]
type = video
path = c:\Video Test Folder

[Server]
ffmpeg_prams = -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -
ffmpeg = C:\pyTivo-d421\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
video_br = 8Mi
port = 9032
width = 720
beacon = 255.255.255.255
debug = false
height = 480
audio_br = 192k

With it in this configuration, my 649 did not have any problem navigating any level of subfolder. My 240s would show all the subfolders, but when you tried to enter them, it gave the message above (This Group is empty...).

The only abnormal thing my 649 does in the current configuration is that if i mess around too much in the subfolders (view several video screens, move around several subfolders, etc.) and then back out to the NPL using the left arrow on the remote, the NPL will only show my two shares, and nothing else from the NPL. That is easily fixed though, I simply "left arrow" one more time to the main menu screen and select NPL, and everything's back to normal.

Here's the interesting bit. If I place an auto_subshares line in my config file (doesn't matter whether it's True or False),

240s: will now enter the subfolders and act like there are files, but show none. The blue highlight bar is there with all four directional arrows and I can move around, but no files or text of any sort is shown. And you can't select any of the "invisible files".

649: Nothing different than what I said above. The auto_subshares line seems to do nothing.
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #1328
MasterCephus

Quote:
MasterCephus-

That sounds great, a lot better than my Excel sheet! I will offer any input I can, but like I've said before, I have no programming experience whatsoever. However, when you're ready to test it, you can believe I'll be one of your first volunteers!
I am going to go through your doc and make sure that all the possible fields are good to go...maybe by the weekend I will have something I can send you to check out.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #1329
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
After those initial lists of SeriesID's were posted by everyone, I did some initial queries into zap2it, and saw that there was a direct relation between TiVo SeriesID's and a portion of the URLs that resulted from those web queries.

Example :
Dexter
TiVo SeriesID : SH859795
Zap2it URL : http : //tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSC.do?t=Dexter&pgmId=EP008597950025

So, the URL breaks down into EP00 + SeriesID + 4digits.

This worked out for quite a few manual checks that I made. So, I set up a web crawler to traverse the one million queries that fall into that six digit number space. Those remaining 4 digits appeared to be the episode number for that series, so I initially ignored them and used a value of "0001" for the queries. It took a week to complete. This resulted in my (initial) lists that I posted here.

Now, as you've illustrated, it looks like it's incomplete.

I'd rather not have to include those extra four digits in another crawl, since it would take 10,000 weeks, and I don't feel like waiting that long.

Any ideas ?
How about searching on the series names from tvdb?

I've been toying with how to build a tivometadata generator and two things stand out. First, Zap2it has the series IDs that Tivo uses for groupings and second, tvdb has the easiest interface to extract metadata. So what I did was cross reference the Zap2it IDs that you posted earlier with a list of TVDB IDs. Attached is a zipped text file with non matching TVDB titles (I filtered out non-english series). I couldn't post the mappings themselves due to size restrictions on posts on the forum. The results are interesting, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the titles of shows between the two DBs, such as 12 O' Clock vs Twelve O' Clock or The A-Team vs A-Team. There are about 8900 entries from TVDB that did not match your list. There were over 1400 entries that did match. Perhaps you could set up your web crawler to try and map the non matching TVDB titles which would hopefully take less than 10000 weeks.

Also, it looks like Ruttmeister is further along than I am with a working Tivometadata generator in Excel. Keep up the good work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tvdb.zip (64.9 KB, 7 views)
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #1330
ruttmeister

Quote:
I am going to go through your doc and make sure that all the possible fields are good to go...maybe by the weekend I will have something I can send you to check out.
I'll be looking forward to it with great anticipation! I've changed the link in my signature to point to the pages where those files are hosted. That way I don't have to keep changing the link everytime I update something, so check back for new information there.
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #1331
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I..............
Nothing different than what I said above. The auto_subshares line seems to do nothing.
I believe the auto_subshares line has to be put in each share section that you want to have that behavior. Is that how you are doing it?

I see the quirks like you mention as far as navigating in and out of shares, etc. on my 649 -- I assume everyone does.

I only have a 649 so won't be able to help regarding any differences between that and other models.

and
Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #1332
ruttmeister

Quote:
I believe the auto_subshares line has to be put in each share section that you want to have that behavior. Is that how you are doing it?
Here are the two shares in my config file:

[Frank's Videos]
type = video
auto_subfolders = True

[Test Videos]
type = video
auto_subfolders = True

When set like this, nothing different happens than if I don't have the two subfolders lines in there. Let's see if I understand what's happening to you:

Let's use my setup above. Let's then say that I have three subfolders in the \My Documents\My Videos folder named Larry, Curly, and Moe. What you're saying is that when you view your NPL, you see Frank's Videos, Test Videos, Larry, Curly, and Moe all as shares, and in the Frank's Videos share, you see Larry, Curly, and Moe as subfolders?
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #1333
ruttmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
There are about 8900 entries from TVDB that did not match your list. There were over 1400 entries that did match.
My first question is this: do the listings from TVDB have series ID's with them? And if so, do the series IDs of the non-matching shows from TVDB match the series IDs from zap2it? To clarify, whether you get "The A-Team" from TVDB or "A-Team" from zap2it, are the series ID connected to each of them the same?

Because as far as my metadata creator goes, having two entries like that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Different people remember show titles differently, and this way, no matter which one they entered, the right seriesID would be returned, which is (I think) one of the most important things: grouping.
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #1334
reneg

Quote:
My first question is this: do the listings from TVDB have series ID's with them? And if so, do the series IDs of the non-matching shows from TVDB match the series IDs from zap2it? To clarify, whether you get "The A-Team" from TVDB or "A-Team" from zap2it, are the series ID connected to each of them the same?

Because as far as my metadata creator goes, having two entries like that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Different people remember show titles differently, and this way, no matter which one they entered, the right seriesID would be returned, which is (I think) one of the most important things: grouping.
From what I can tell, Zap2It and TVDB each have unique series IDs for their respective DBs. I didn't see any information in the TVDB meta data that corresponded back to a Zap2it Series ID. I would definately want to use the Zap2it Series ID in the Tivo Metadata so it would match what Tivo uses so it wouldn't matter if the series episode came from the Tivo or off the internet for grouping. As far as automagically getting meta data, TVDB looks to be the simplest, but you either need to know the ID or search for the series and choose through the interfaces.

Last edited by reneg : 12-11-2007 at 06:23 PM.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #1335
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Here are the two shares in my config file:

[Frank's Videos]
type = video
auto_subfolders = True

[Test Videos]
type = video
auto_subfolders = True

When set like this, nothing different happens than if I don't have the two subfolders lines in there. Let's see if I understand what's happening to you:

Let's use my setup above. Let's then say that I have three subfolders in the \My Documents\My Videos folder named Larry, Curly, and Moe. What you're saying is that when you view your NPL, you see Frank's Videos, Test Videos, Larry, Curly, and Moe all as shares, and in the Frank's Videos share, you see Larry, Curly, and Moe as subfolders?
Yes. One possible difference is I tend not to use spaces in my folder names. Try renaming them (at least the subfolders).

and
Old 12-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #1336
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.......In my signature line is a link to a document that describes the content, formatting an behavior of most of those fields........
Here is a factoid about the role of seriesID:

I've used metadata files where the seriesTitle and all other items did not match the seriesID. They grouped and the group name was still the correct series title determined by the seriesID -- not by any other metadata item.

This applies when it's a "valid" seriesID, and AFAIK we don't know the exact rules that determine validity for a given Tivo unit. If the tivo doesn't consider it valid, it uses the seriesTitle metadata for the NPL listing (if you've applied the "fix" given in my earlier post). But it won't group then.

and
Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #1337
ruttmeister

Ok, to show my utter "green-ness", I have a question: what does AFAIK stand for?

Next, and perhaps I missed this earlier in this MONSTER thread, can pyTiVo support rating metadata? If so, what does the command look like, and how does the field need to be formatted to work properly? (ex: tvRating : PG-13)

Quote:
Yes. One possible difference is I tend not to use spaces in my folder names. Try renaming them (at least the subfolders).
WOW. That must have been the hour my hands were at HandzCrafters. If you look closely, I put auto_subfolders not auto_subshares. Both my 240s and my 649 react exactly the way you describe, even with subfolders in subfolders in subfolders, etc. I found that if you have two shares, one can be set to True and one to False without screwing anything up. This is actually kind-of handy, because now my 240s can access all the bottom-level folders, and my 649 can simply browse the regular subfolders the way it's supposed to.
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #1338
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Ok, to show my utter "green-ness", I have a question: what does AFAIK stand for?
IIRC it stands for As Far As I Know.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #1339
ruttmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
IIRC it stands for As Far As I Know.
Thanks!

(and yes, I got IIRC, thank you!)
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #1340
DinoBambino

Would somebody be able to post a pyTivo.conf file that is setup for a mixed HD/SD environment?

I have a TivoHD hooked up to a HDTV and two other Series2 Tivo's hooked up to SDTV's.

I was able to get pyTivo working correctly for the HDTV (16X9) after reading through suggestions in this thread, but I am unsure how to add/configure the SD settings.

Thanks!
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #1341
PaulS

Quote:
2. Transferred file video quality isn't so great. This is also likely due to ffmpeg's reduced role in transfers. Videos appear a bit softer, aspect ratios are a bit off, and so on...

More info on further investigation. It's clear why I'm seeing degraded video. It's because everything's being downrezzed to 480p. Duh!

Here's an example transfer I did tonight. Source file is a Matroska contained H.264 1280x720 @ 23.98 fps video, being transferred to my Series3.

My really simple pytivo.conf file :
Code:
[Server]
Port=9042
GUID=314253
debug=true
aspect169=true
ffmpeg=j:\pyTivo-2007-12-04\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

[StuffToWatch2]
type=video
path=c:\Videos
auto_subshares=true

From my debug.txt log :

Code:
video_info: Codec= h264  width= 1280  height= 720  fps= 23.98  millisecs= 3357300 
tivo_compatible:  c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  is not mpeg2video it is  h264 
output_video:  c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  is not tivo compatible
video_info:  c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  cache hit! 
tsn: 648000123456789 
aspect169: True 
optres: False 
select_aspect: File= c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  Type= h264  width= 1280  height= 720  fps= 23.98  millisecs= 3357300  ratio= 177  rheight= 9  rwidth= 16  TIVO_HEIGHT= 480 TIVO_WIDTH= 544 
select_aspect: File is within 16:9 list and 16:9 allowed.
transcode: ffmpeg command is  j:\pyTivo-2007-12-04\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe -i c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b 4096K -maxrate 17408k -bufsize 1024k -aspect 16:9 -s 544x480 -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab 192K -ar 44100 -f vob -
So, I guess I've got to enable "optres=true" in my pytivo.conf file if I want to keep 720p stuff at that resolution.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #1342
grahamkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino View Post
Would somebody be able to post a pyTivo.conf file that is setup for a mixed HD/SD environment?

I have a TivoHD hooked up to a HDTV and two other Series2 Tivo's hooked up to SDTV's.

I was able to get pyTivo working correctly for the HDTV (16X9) after reading through suggestions in this thread, but I am unsure how to add/configure the SD settings.

Thanks!
I have a similar setup but only a single series 2 Tivo. This is working well for me.

Quote:
[Server]
port=9032

## Full path to ffmpeg including filename
#For windows: ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
#ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
ffmpeg=d:\FFmpeg\ffmpeg.exe

## This will make a large debug.txt file in you base directory.
## It only debugs transcode.py right now.
debug=true

## Make all subfolders in to top level shares
auto_subshares=False

## Only transcode files to nearest acceptable dimmensions
optres=True

## Audio bit-rate, default 96K
audio_br=96K

## Video bit-rate, default 2048K
video_br=2Mi

## Buffer size:
buff_size=1024K

## Max Video Bit Rate:
max_video_br=10Mi

## Beacon broadcast address(es)
## Typically use 255.255.255.255 but on some multihomed machines you may
## need to specify the subnet broadcast address(es) of your Tivo boxes
#beacon=255.255.255.255

## Output Pixel Width: if you have an HDTV you might want to try 720
## Valid: 1920, 1440, 720, 544, 480, 352
width=544
height=480
ffmpeg_prams=-threads 2 -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

[_tivo_652000180######]
aspect169=true
#width=1280
#height=720
width=720
height=480
audio_br=384k
video_br=6Mi

#ffmpeg_prams=-threads 2 -vcodec mpeg2video -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -acodec ac3 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 48000 -async 48000 -f vob -
ffmpeg_prams=-threads 2 -vcodec mpeg2video -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -acodec ac3 -ar 48000 -async 48000 -f vob -

[_tivo_5400001D0######]
## Bedroom
aspect169=false
width=704
height=480
audio_br=96k
video_br=2Mi
max_video_br=6Mi
buff_size=1024k
ffmpeg_prams=-threads 2 -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

[Arrested Development]
type=video
path=\\G-nt5\Videos\Arrested Development

[Boondocks]
type=video
path=\\G-nt5\Videos\Boondocks

[Deadwood]
type=video
path=\\G-nt5\Videos\Deadwood

[Dexter]
type=video
path=\\G-nt5\Videos\Dexter

[Heroes]
type=video
path=\\G-nt5\Videos\Heroes

[Movies - Archived]
type=video
path=\\G-nt5\Videos\Movies - Archived

[Movies - New]
type=video
path=\\G-nt5\Videos\Movies - Unwatched

grahamkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #1343
DinoBambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamkent View Post
I have a similar setup but only a single series 2 Tivo. This is working well for me.

Thanks! I will give it a try tomorrow night. I just got done watching Superbad when I should be asleep.
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #1344
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
More info on further investigation. It's clear why I'm seeing degraded video. It's because everything's being downrezzed to 480p. Duh!

Here's an example transfer I did tonight. Source file is a Matroska contained H.264 1280x720 @ 23.98 fps video, being transferred to my Series3.

My really simple pytivo.conf file :
Code:
[Server]
Port=9042
GUID=314253
debug=true
aspect169=true
ffmpeg=j:\pyTivo-2007-12-04\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

[StuffToWatch2]
type=video
path=c:\Videos
auto_subshares=true

From my debug.txt log :

Code:
video_info: Codec= h264  width= 1280  height= 720  fps= 23.98  millisecs= 3357300 
tivo_compatible:  c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  is not mpeg2video it is  h264 
output_video:  c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  is not tivo compatible
video_info:  c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  cache hit! 
tsn: 648000123456789 
aspect169: True 
optres: False 
select_aspect: File= c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv  Type= h264  width= 1280  height= 720  fps= 23.98  millisecs= 3357300  ratio= 177  rheight= 9  rwidth= 16  TIVO_HEIGHT= 480 TIVO_WIDTH= 544 
select_aspect: File is within 16:9 list and 16:9 allowed.
transcode: ffmpeg command is  j:\pyTivo-2007-12-04\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe -i c:\Videos\File1 - 720p.mkv -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b 4096K -maxrate 17408k -bufsize 1024k -aspect 16:9 -s 544x480 -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab 192K -ar 44100 -f vob -
So, I guess I've got to enable "optres=true" in my pytivo.conf file if I want to keep 720p stuff at that resolution.
Yep, you've demonstrated that pyTivo defaults to 544x480 res unless you force it to do otherwise, either with optres or by setting width and height explicitly.

Also, when you do get it to use a larger format you will probably want to set the video_br to something higher than the default (4096k), perhaps 8Mi to 10Mi for the format you mention. Also set bufsize to something large like 17Mi.
(1 Mi = 1024k).

and
Old 12-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #1345
PaulS

Quote:
Yep, you've demonstrated that pyTivo defaults to 544x480 res unless you force it to do otherwise, either with optres or by setting width and height explicitly.

Also, when you do get it to use a larger format you will probably want to set the video_br to something higher than the default (4096k), perhaps 8Mi to 10Mi for the format you mention. Also set bufsize to something large like 17Mi.
(1 Mi = 1024k).
I'd probably want to go a different route, as far as maintaining the bitrates is concerned. In fact, I think that what I'd like to do should be integrated into the base OptRes option behavior.

Since OptRes is already selecting the output resolution based upon the input resolution of the source material, wouldn't it stand to reason that it should also select an appropriate output bitrate as well ? It doesn't really make sense to spit out everything at a single bitrate (either 4Mbps or 17Mbps) if you're mixing SD and HD content.

Make sense ?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #1346
jcthorne

This may be off topic here but can anyone explain just what is the -bufsize parameter? I have it set to 1024k as recomended by someone sometime back and my ffmpeg conversions from mkv to tivo seem to work fine, but what would changing it do?

Also as stated earlier, for my TivoHD, I removed the framerate, height and width parameters from the ffmpeg_params line completely so that ffmpeg leaves the output the same as input file resolution and framerate.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #1347
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Also as stated earlier, for my TivoHD, I removed the framerate, height and width parameters from the ffmpeg_params line completely so that ffmpeg leaves the output the same as input file resolution and framerate.
Is this still the ffmpeg_pline you're using ? I'll exclude the "threads" parameter, since not all folks will have a multi-core or multi-CPU set up at their disposal.

Code:
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -maxrate 17Mi -qscale 1.2 -bufsize 1024k -comment pyTivo.py -acodec ac3 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 48000 -f vob -

Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #1348
tivostriker

sudden problem with pytivo

I've had pyTivo working great for months now with no problems an occasional restart couldn't solve.

Suddenly, I went to launch pyTivo.py this morning, and it just opens the dos box with no text, completely blank and black. I'm not sure where to begin.

I've tried getting the latest versions, turning off firewalls, but nothing. I can launch pyTivoConfigurator.py, so I know python is working, but pyTivo.py is just blank.

I'm using WinXP.

Any thoughts? Thanks
tivostriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #1349
ruttmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivostriker View Post
I've had pyTivo working great for months now with no problems an occasional restart couldn't solve.

Suddenly, I went to launch pyTivo.py this morning, and it just opens the dos box with no text, completely blank and black. I'm not sure where to begin.

I've tried getting the latest versions, turning off firewalls, but nothing. I can launch pyTivoConfigurator.py, so I know python is working, but pyTivo.py is just blank.

I'm using WinXP.

Any thoughts? Thanks
This may sound like a stupid question, but once the dos box opens, have to actually tried going to your TiVo and viewing the shares? Sometimes when I start pyTiVo it does the same thing, but everything still works just fine. Try it, see what happens and post back.
Model 240 Series 2 40hr
Linksys wired ethernet
Currently running
- d421

Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #1350
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivostriker View Post

I'm using WinXP.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

A blank dos box isn't that unusual at startup. Are you saying your shares aren't seen by the TiVo?

and