TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #1201
rgr
Member
 
rgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Well first of all, good luck! The two primary information sources are this thread and the pyTivo Wiki.

.
.
.

Properly setting up the config file (pyTivo.conf) seems to be the biggest problem for new users. There is useful guidance in the Wiki. When you get all the software installed and your best estimate of a good config file, I recommend you post it here along with all the details such as number and type of TiVo's, and your type of TV('s), pc operating system, etc. Experienced users will gladly give you suggestions to complete a good config file.
Thanks for the encouragement. I've experimented with both the "master" and "subfolder" builds and settled on the "subfolder" as I like the way it allows me to keep my existing storage location and gives good file names. For some reason the "master" would show me a subfolder but none of the files in the subfolder.

I have: a Series3
a Toshiba 56mx195 widescreen tv
pc is core2duo on an evga 6801 mobo w/ 2g memory running xp sp2
wired network

Here is my stripped down pyTivo.conf file.
---------------
[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\RR\Desktop\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
beacon=255.255.255.255
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

[_tivo_648fffffff] (fffff to hide true number)

[MyMovies]
type=video
path=C:\Documents and Settings\RR\My Documents\TiVoVids

[RRShare]
type=video
path=Z:\Video
-------------------
Seems to be working with no changes to any other files. I had one tivo reboot on my first transfer after a backed out of the folder and paged down a few times, none since then.
[Edit - just had another reboot about a half hour after posting the comment - any idea how to prevent this?]

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Three questions:
1) the Time on transferred files seems to be 8 hours off (I live in San Francisco, which is GMT-8) any way to get the correct transfer time?
2) is there an ffmpeg parameter to control volume? The transferred files seem loud.
3) the subfolder names all end in (0) - should that be populated with the number of recordings in the subfolder?

I experimented with tivodotnet a few days ago and prefer pytivo so far. Tivotogo was big and started way too many services for what I wanted, and galleon also had more add-ons than I was looking for. Pytivo seems to be the exact stripped down media server type app I want. Thanks!

Last edited by rgr : 12-01-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: update
rgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #1202
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I've experimented with both the "master" and "subfolder" builds and settled on the "subfolder" as I like the way it allows me to keep my existing storage location and gives good file names. For some reason the "master" would show me a subfolder but none of the files in the subfolder.

I have: a Series3
a Toshiba 56mx195 widescreen tv
pc is core2duo on an evga 6801 mobo w/ 2g memory running xp sp2
wired network

Here is my stripped down pyTivo.conf file.
---------------
[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\RR\Desktop\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
beacon=255.255.255.255
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

[_tivo_648fffffff] (fffff to hide true number)

[MyMovies]
type=video
path=C:\Documents and Settings\RR\My Documents\TiVoVids

[RRShare]
type=video
path=Z:\Video
-------------------
Seems to be working with no changes to any other files. I had one tivo reboot on my first transfer after a backed out of the folder and paged down a few times, none since then.
[Edit - just had another reboot about a half hour after posting the comment - any idea how to prevent this?]

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Three questions:
1) the Time on transferred files seems to be 8 hours off (I live in San Francisco, which is GMT-8) any way to get the correct transfer time?
2) is there an ffmpeg parameter to control volume? The transferred files seem loud.
3) the subfolder names all end in (0) - should that be populated with the number of recordings in the subfolder? ......
Sounds like you're up and rolling pretty quick. Don't see any problem with your config file. The ffmpeg documentation doesn't say anything about changing audio volume. I know you could do it if you ran it through VideoReDo.

Hope an OP can help you with the other questions. (I don't run subfolders or an S3). Also there may be some config file parameters such as width, height, video_br and audio_br that you want to set different than defaults depending on the S3 and your TV formats and quality, but I don't have experience in the HDTV area. Just scan this thread over the last month or two to see what other S3/HDTV folks prefer.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #1203
wgw
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Nope. I hadn't recorded Weeds at all, since I don't subscribe to Showtime. I just used that as an example, since someone had already listed it in the SeriesID thread. Additionally, Unbox downloads get a different ID ("MV" instead of "SH"), so there's another inconsistency.
Do you have cable? The grouping was probably promoted by guide data if you have cable. I think the Tivo will download guide data for all cable channels, even if you don't subscribe.

Also, it does not look like all Unbox downloads are assigned an MV number. As a test, I re-downloaded an episode of Heroes I purchased from Unbox a while back. It was given an SH series ID and a TS ProgramID.

I noticed in the link to TivoJerrys post that someone provided, TivoJerry mentioned ProgramID as affecting MRV grouping. He said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Transfers will not be grouped on the receiving DVR if it does not have the program ID available in its guide information at the moment the transfer is initiated. Unfortunately, that information must be present on the receiving machine for the grouping process to work. I am told that we cannot work around this particular shortcoming.
Not sure how ProgramID and SeriesID are related, but it sounds like they work together.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #1204
PaulS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
Do you have cable? The grouping was probably promoted by guide data if you have cable. I think the Tivo will download guide data for all cable channels, even if you don't subscribe.
Yes, Comcast. You're probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
Also, it does not look like all Unbox downloads are assigned an MV number. As a test, I re-downloaded an episode of Heroes I purchased from Unbox a while back. It was given an SH series ID and a TS ProgramID.
Curious. So, you think TV shows always get an "SH", no matter where you get them from (cable, Unbox, etc) ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
I noticed in the link to TivoJerrys post that someone provided, TivoJerry mentioned ProgramID as affecting MRV grouping. He said:

Not sure how ProgramID and SeriesID are related, but it sounds like they work together.
I wonder if zap2it has ProgramID info as well ?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #1205
ghasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7
ARGH. pyTivo suddenly stopped working reliably on my Win2003 box...not sure what I did but have just reloaded a sompletly fresh install (went back to 201 even) and I can view some of my folders but most are not showing any videos. If anyone has any ideas...please let me know. Doesn't seem to matter what type of video is present or logic I can find. Here's an example of the config file:

[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = f:\pytivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg-mp2.exe

[Movies]
type = video
path = x:\video\movies

[Mythbusters]
type = video
path = x:\video\mythbusters


when I try this URL (http://server:9032/TiVoConnect?Comma...er=Mythbusters) I'm getting a list of the videos...when I try (http://server:9032/TiVoConnect?Comma...ntainer=Movies) I'm getting nothing but on the server pytivo window I now have:
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.53', 4420)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "F:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 464, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "F:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "F:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 522, in __init__
self.handle()
File "F:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
self.handle_one_request()
File "F:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
method()
File "F:\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 64, in do_GET
method(self, query)
File "F:\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 81, in QueryContainer
t.files, t.total, t.start = self.get_files(handler, query, VideoFileFilter)
File "F:\pyTivo\plugin.py", line 52, in get_files
files = filter(filterFunction, files)
File "F:\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 75, in VideoFileFilter
return transcode.suported_format(full_path)
File "F:\pyTivo\plugins\video\transcode.py", line 293, in suported_format
if video_info(inFile)[0]:
File "F:\pyTivo\plugins\video\transcode.py", line 224, in video_info
ffmpeg = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIP
E, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
File "F:\Python25\lib\subprocess.py", line 593, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "F:\Python25\lib\subprocess.py", line 815, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
----------------------------------------


The directory has around 15 files (.tivo, .mp4, .avi, etc)

Help...
ghasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #1206
rseligman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,124
Hi, all. I haven't contributed to this post at all, but I'd like to suggest that you consider letting this mammoth pyTivo thread die out, and just go back to posting new threads for new topics.

I've had some pyTivo questions myself, and having to look through a 1200+ post, 45 page topic is not very efficient. Does every pyTivo post need to be in a single thread?

Plus, it was just by accident that I saw something about the new metadata features in a previous post. That's a cool new feature, but instead of it being announced in a brand new thread, it was buried on page 35 of a huge thread started a year ago.

Anyway, not a complaint, just a request for those of us who haven't been keeping up with all 1207 posts here. Thanks for listening.
rseligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #1207
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,942
MKV/H264 not entirely covered by ffmpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Is there some reason the ffmpeg that is included with the pytivo install has difficulty with h264 encoded mkv files where the current version from the mplayer site does not? Pytivo is giving a long string of decode errors 'Error while decoding stream #0.0, [h264 @ 009C3820]AVC: nal size xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Feeding the same mkv file to the newer version results in no errors and recodes fine.

Can pytivo use the latest version instead of the one distributed or is there something custom about that one?
As we now know, ffmpeg versions 10464 and 10908 can be used by pyTivo with a small edit in transcode.py. However not all H264 videos in MKV containers are handled properly by either of these versions, I have found.

I use AutoMKV to encode this type video. For one 2.5 min mpeg2 clip, I created two versions using different 1-pass profiles and one using a 2-pass profile. The 2-pass version transcodes fine using either version of ffmpeg. The 1-pass versions transcode with the video in slow motion -- audio is OK. I can't blame it on the MKV files because they all play fine in VLC player.

Edit: Just tried this with r11050. Still the same problem. Also had to modify transcode.py because this version says 29.97 tb instead of 29.97 fps.

tb???? It stands for time base and it happened with r11007. Transcode.py will have to be modified for all versions starting with that one. Here is a mod that I believe covers both before and after r11007, in function def video_info(inFile):
:

Code:
    rezre = re.compile(r'.*Video: .+, (.+) fps.*')
    x = rezre.search(output)
    if x:
        fps = x.group(1)
    else:
    # for ffmpeg version 11007 and beyond
        rezre = re.compile(r'.*Video: .+, (.+) tb.*')
        x = rezre.search(output)
        if x:
            fps = x.group(1)
        else:
            info_cache[inFile] = (mtime, (None, None, None, None, None))
            debug_write(['video_info: failed at fps\n'])
            return None, None, None, None, None
Since I think MKV/H264 decoding was just recently added to ffmpeg, and may still be under development, I assume this is just the way it is now. I would be curious about experiences others are having however.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dlfl : 12-02-2007 at 08:11 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #1208
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,926
I have seen the same thing wrt mkv files and ffmpeg. The 10908 verson is far better than the one shipped with pyTivo but still has some problems.

Are there any other utilities you can recommend to get video out of an mkv container into a more mainstream format...perhaps directly to mpeg2?
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #1209
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,926
I was just wondering if some smart python programmer could come up with a simple photos app for pyTivo. The music and video sections work so well and I have pretty much left tivo desktop in the dust, but would like to get our photo albums back on the tivo menu. Other suggested workarounds that get along with pyTivo?
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #1210
BillB
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I've experimented with both the "master" and "subfolder" builds and settled on the "subfolder" as I like the way it allows me to keep my existing storage location and gives good file names. For some reason the "master" would show me a subfolder but none of the files in the subfolder.

I have: a Series3
a Toshiba 56mx195 widescreen tv
pc is core2duo on an evga 6801 mobo w/ 2g memory running xp sp2
wired network

Here is my stripped down pyTivo.conf file.
---------------
[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\RR\Desktop\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
beacon=255.255.255.255
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

[_tivo_648fffffff] (fffff to hide true number)

[MyMovies]
type=video
path=C:\Documents and Settings\RR\My Documents\TiVoVids

[RRShare]
type=video
path=Z:\Video
-------------------
Seems to be working with no changes to any other files. I had one tivo reboot on my first transfer after a backed out of the folder and paged down a few times, none since then.
[Edit - just had another reboot about a half hour after posting the comment - any idea how to prevent this?]

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Three questions:
1) the Time on transferred files seems to be 8 hours off (I live in San Francisco, which is GMT-8) any way to get the correct transfer time?
2) is there an ffmpeg parameter to control volume? The transferred files seem loud.
3) the subfolder names all end in (0) - should that be populated with the number of recordings in the subfolder?

I experimented with tivodotnet a few days ago and prefer pytivo so far. Tivotogo was big and started way too many services for what I wanted, and galleon also had more add-ons than I was looking for. Pytivo seems to be the exact stripped down media server type app I want. Thanks!
Difference between Master and Subfolder Editions?

I am using the Master edition. If, for example, I want to put a series of TV episodes into a subfolder called 24, I get several 24's in the Now playing list under My Movies/24. I have to make a subfolder on the computer for each episode, ie, 24 6x01, 24 6x02, etc.

Does the subfolder edition allow you to make one subfolder (24) and place all of the episodes in it so you can see each episode in the Now Playing List?

Many thanks,

Bill
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #1211
rgr
Member
 
rgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Difference between Master and Subfolder Editions?

I am using the Master edition. If, for example, I want to put a series of TV episodes into a subfolder called 24, I get several 24's in the Now playing list under My Movies/24. I have to make a subfolder on the computer for each episode, ie, 24 6x01, 24 6x02, etc.

Does the subfolder edition allow you to make one subfolder (24) and place all of the episodes in it so you can see each episode in the Now Playing List?

Many thanks,

Bill
That's odd - when I tried the Master edition I was getting (to use your example of 24) a listing of programs only under whatever folder I opened first, every other folder I opened showed the same file listing. For instance:
On the pc I had a folder 24 with 5 episodes and a folder Whose Line with 10 episodes. I would then start up pytivo. On the tivo I would see MyMovies/24 and MyMovies/Whose Line. If I opened up the 24 folder I'd see all 5 episodes, after that if I opened up Whose Line, I'd see the same 5 episodes for 24. Had I opened Whose Line first I'd be seeing the same 10 episodes under every folder.
With the Subfolder build I see the episodes for each folder in each folder which is what I want. When I transfer it comes across as the name of the folder for each episode - so each episode comes over as "24" or "Whose Line" but then when I get info on the transferred file the name I had on the pc is showing as the episode title - "24 6x01"

Understand what I mean?
rgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #1212
MasterCephus
Registered User
 
MasterCephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hueytown, Alabama
Posts: 309
Well I am almost finished with a little .NET application that will allow you to use the Amazon.com web services to search for a movie title and then save the information into a TXT file for the meta data stuff.

It's going pretty well...I can't seem to get the web service to give me the list of actors in the movie.

I have to use Amazon.com because it's about the only web service around that gives this type of information...there is no web service available for TV shows is there?

Basically, my little app will search for a movie title, then give a list. You click on the one you want and it then gives you all the available meta data fields that can be filled (that comes from Amazon). I have to go away for work next week, but hopefully I can finish it next week. If I am proud of it , I will give you guys the app
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #1213
Soapm
Registered User
 
Soapm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: So close, yet too far away
Posts: 1,477
I'm getting Tivo reboots while watching movies via pyTivo. I'm not picky what it looks like, I just want it to play. Can anyone make suggestions to these settings?

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = F:\VideoFiles

[Server]
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\TiVo\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
beacon = 192.168.0.255
audio_br = 192K
port = 9032
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #1214
wgw
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
As we now know, ffmpeg versions 10464 and 10908 can be used by pyTivo with a small edit in transcode.py. However not all H264 videos in MKV containers are handled properly by either of these versions, I have found.

I use AutoMKV to encode this type video. For one 2.5 min mpeg2 clip, I created two versions using different 1-pass profiles and one using a 2-pass profile. The 2-pass version transcodes fine using either version of ffmpeg. The 1-pass versions transcode with the video in slow motion -- audio is OK. I can't blame it on the MKV files because they all play fine in VLC player.
I tried out AutoMKV and got the same slow motion video with the 1-pass encode. It sure seems slow to encode though. But it looks like encoding can be speeded up some by starting the program at the lowest priority. I noticed during the resize pass that AutoMKV was using 30% cpu and x264.exe was using 60%. After lowering the priority of AutoMKV, x264.exe is using 95% cpu and my remaining time estimate for the autoresize pass has been reduced an hour.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #1215
BillB
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
That's odd - when I tried the Master edition I was getting (to use your example of 24) a listing of programs only under whatever folder I opened first, every other folder I opened showed the same file listing. For instance:
On the pc I had a folder 24 with 5 episodes and a folder Whose Line with 10 episodes. I would then start up pytivo. On the tivo I would see MyMovies/24 and MyMovies/Whose Line. If I opened up the 24 folder I'd see all 5 episodes, after that if I opened up Whose Line, I'd see the same 5 episodes for 24. Had I opened Whose Line first I'd be seeing the same 10 episodes under every folder.
With the Subfolder build I see the episodes for each folder in each folder which is what I want. When I transfer it comes across as the name of the folder for each episode - so each episode comes over as "24" or "Whose Line" but then when I get info on the transferred file the name I had on the pc is showing as the episode title - "24 6x01"

Understand what I mean?
I think I understand. It seems that you are getting the same behavior with the Subfolder edition as I get with the Master Edition.

It seems to me that the developers are spending more time with metadata features, rather than fixing the basic features first.

Bill
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #1216
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
..........It seems to me that the developers are spending more time with metadata features, rather than fixing the basic features first.
Bill
Mmmm.... We'lll have to take that into account when we set their next pay increase!
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #1217
TreborPugly
Unreal!
 
TreborPugly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 4,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
I think I understand. It seems that you are getting the same behavior with the Subfolder edition as I get with the Master Edition.

It seems to me that the developers are spending more time with metadata features, rather than fixing the basic features first.

Bill
This is one of those things that has been around for a while, and was worked on extensively when it came up, but without reading this whole monster thread, you might miss.

Version 8.3 of the Tivo software broke how the Tivo reads folders. It is not something that can be fixed by pyTivo, since it is a bug in the Tivo software, and one they don't care about fixing, since they don't use subfolders. (or really folders at all - just grouping.

The bug causes the behavior you've observed: Once you enter a subfolder, every folder you enter from then on, appears to have the same content.

The subfolders branch of pyTivo is an attempt to work around the bugs in the Tivo, while having subfolders still work. It does make subfolders list the correct content, however with version 9, it sometimes relapses into the original behavior. (ie, same content in every subfolder) I don't think the developer who created this branch has worked on it since version 8.3. The other drawback is that it sometimes crashes the TiVo. With version 9, this problem has increased too.

The other "work around" is to not really support subfolders, but instead create a new pyTivo Share for every subfolder on your machine. This is an option that can be set in the config file. If you use the "subfolders" branch, and turn this on, you'll still have the crash problems that the subfolders branch causes, so I would use the Master edition.

If you really want to have subfolders working, use the subfolders version. (Not necessarily the one that supports metadata) What I do to avoid a crash is this:
Every time I go into a subfolder, and into the details of a show, I exit using the Tivo Button, and going back to NPL that way. If you back out of the details of the show, you can crash the Tivo.
__________________
Next?
TreborPugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #1218
grahamkent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 16
ghastly,

Just one idea. You have a dash instead of an underscore in your path to ffmpeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghasty View Post
[i][Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = f:\pytivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg-mp2.exe
This may very well be correct if you've changed what version of ffmpeg you are using, but if you're using the default, I believe the path should be to ffmpeg_mp2.exe NOT ffmpeg-mp2.exe.
grahamkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #1219
grahamkent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
I have to use Amazon.com because it's about the only web service around that gives this type of information...there is no web service available for TV shows is there?
MC, I haven't used this site in any apps, but I have been using it for metadata in the files I've been creating by hand. I'm not certain if the series IDs are valid, but if they are it would be a great source for TV data. Sadly, they don't have movie data.

http://thetvdb.com/index.php
grahamkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #1220
rschwarz_jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philly
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
I have to use Amazon.com because it's about the only web service around that gives this type of information...there is no web service available for TV shows is there?
XBMC uses Tv.com (and others) and that works perfectly for me. I'm not sure if it has all the info but it scrapes quite a bit from the site.
rschwarz_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #1221
rgr
Member
 
rgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
If you really want to have subfolders working, use the subfolders version. (Not necessarily the one that supports metadata) What I do to avoid a crash is this:
Every time I go into a subfolder, and into the details of a show, I exit using the Tivo Button, and going back to NPL that way. If you back out of the details of the show, you can crash the Tivo.
Thanks for the advice. I was guessing that the tivo request to the pytivo server to re-enumerate the complete file list might be causing a hiccup. On the use of the Tivo button to back out - do you use it as soon as you select the file to transfer, or at the screen where it prompts you to cancel or return to the folder?

Two additional questions:
1) is there a way to correct the Time? I'm at gmt-8, but the time displayed for transferred files is another -8 (for example it's 2:04 pm here - a transferred file ould have today's date but be at 6:04 am)
2) can pytivo be set to bypass transcoding? I was thinking about using winff to transcode and dumping the output to a share used by pytivo, but want to avoid re-transcoding.

Thanks
rgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #1222
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
..........2) can pytivo be set to bypass transcoding? I was thinking about using winff to transcode and dumping the output to a share used by pytivo, but want to avoid re-transcoding.

Thanks
pyTivo will send without transcoding if the file is a .Tivo or if it meets the standards set by tivo for TTCB mpeg2 files.. The specs are at the bottom of the linked page.

pyTivo knows these standards and applies them (actually just that it's mpeg2 and has a valid width and height). You wouldn't want to send a file that didn't meet them. The exception would be if your tivo model will accept a format that pyTivo doesn't know about, and that could be a possibility, especially for HD tivo's. Since pyTivo doesn't know the exact valid file resolutions for every TiVo model it's also possible it could send a file without transcoding that would NOT be acceptable to a particular model.

Actually if you're up to doing some simple editing of the pyTivo code you can find these two functions in config.py:

Code:
def getValidWidths(): 
     return [1440, 720, 704, 544, 480, 352] 
  
def getValidHeights(): 
    return [720, 480]
Warning: do not disturb indentation when you edit a Python source file!

I think it's obvious how you could add (or remove) "valid" widths or heights.
Note that the logic doesn't actually work on WxH pairs. For example you could have something 352x720 that pyTivo would consider valid, but I doubt if any TiVo model would accept that particular combo, or certainly some models wouldn't.

Note the 1440 width and 720 height that are not in the TiVo spec page. These have been added for HD tivo's and the TiVo spec has not been updated (possibly because they don't officially support TTCB on those models? -- Not sure).

I'm wondering if we need a config item where you could specify Tivo-compatible resolution sets in addition to the built in ones?
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #1223
TreborPugly
Unreal!
 
TreborPugly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 4,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was guessing that the tivo request to the pytivo server to re-enumerate the complete file list might be causing a hiccup. On the use of the Tivo button to back out - do you use it as soon as you select the file to transfer, or at the screen where it prompts you to cancel or return to the folder?

I do it when I get to the screen asking me if I want to view the show, or return to browsing.
__________________
Next?
TreborPugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #1224
rsilvers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
If I already paid for Tivo Desktop Plus, is there any reason why I would want to run pyTivo?
rsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 AM   #1225
smilerz
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
Auto_Share

A small feature request - not even sure if its possible.

When you set the autoshare feature on, is it possible for this list of shares to be displayed in alphabetical order? It seems to display randomly on my Tivo.
smilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #1226
smilerz
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
I just installed the latest version (pyTivo-2007-12-03-master-c1d881f21b141fb2f7e119a80670ac76774dcf2e.zip)
When I attempt to download a video I get "no information available" and no option to start the transfer.

Am I missing something?

here is my config:
Quote:
[Server]
port=9032


#Full path to ffmpeg including filename
#For windows: ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
#For linux: ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
ffmpeg=C:\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
#ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg

#This will make a large debug.txt file in you base directory. It only debugs
#transcode.py right now.
#debug=false

# Audio bit-rate, default 192K
#audio_br=192K

# Video bit-rate, default 4096K
#video_br=12Mi

#Beacon broadcast address(es)
#Typically use 255.255.255.255 but on some multihomed machines you may
#need to specify the subnet broadcast address(es) of your Tivo boxes
#beacon=255.255.255.255

#Output Pixel Width: if you have an HDTV you might want to try 720 or 704
#Valid: 720, 704, 544, 480, 352
#width=1440
#height=720
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
[_tivo_00000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
#aspect169=true
#width=1440
#height=720
#audio_br=320K
#video_br=12Mi
#ffmpeg_prams=-i %(in_file)s -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -

#audio_br=320K
#video_br=12Mi

[Movies]
#Type can be either 'video' or 'music'
type=video

#Path is the full path to your files (No trailing slash needed)
#For windows: path=c:\videos
#For linux: path=/media
path=F:\Movies
#Make all subfolders in to top level shares
#auto_subshares= True


Last edited by smilerz : 12-04-2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: additional info
smilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #1227
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
If I already paid for Tivo Desktop Plus, is there any reason why I would want to run pyTivo?
Sure.

1. pyTivo doesn't hog the machine. It doesn't insist on running at startup, or as Administrator.

2. In some cases*, clips transferred with Tivo Desktop get a time bar labelled only in seconds. The same clips transferred with pyTivo don't have this problem.

3. [New] You can add descriptions and other metadata to all files, not just .TiVo files.

4. You can run it on Linux.

5. You can modify it pretty easily.

6. You can have multiple shares.

7. I think it still supports more formats than TD+.

* I personally saw this in all cases, but that was with the non-plus TD, with MPEGs that didn't have to be reencoded. I'm told that it doesn't happen when the clip is reencoded by TD+; I don't know.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #1228
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilerz View Post
I just installed the latest version (pyTivo-2007-12-03-master-c1d881f21b141fb2f7e119a80670ac76774dcf2e.zip)
When I attempt to download a video I get "no information available" and no option to start the transfer.

Am I missing something?

here is my config:
1. Comment out the [_tivo_00000DEADBEEF] line. (This is not a valid TSN).
2. Check the ffmpeg line: Is this the exact path to ffmpeg_mp2.exe ? For example is C:\pyTivo where you installed pyTivo? C:\program files\pyTivo is another common location or C:\program files\pyTivoXXX where XXX is the version number.

Please post your TiVo model(s), network configuration, pc OS if you need more help.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #1229
BillB
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
This is one of those things that has been around for a while, and was worked on extensively when it came up, but without reading this whole monster thread, you might miss.

Version 8.3 of the Tivo software broke how the Tivo reads folders. It is not something that can be fixed by pyTivo, since it is a bug in the Tivo software, and one they don't care about fixing, since they don't use subfolders. (or really folders at all - just grouping.

The bug causes the behavior you've observed: Once you enter a subfolder, every folder you enter from then on, appears to have the same content.

The subfolders branch of pyTivo is an attempt to work around the bugs in the Tivo, while having subfolders still work. It does make subfolders list the correct content, however with version 9, it sometimes relapses into the original behavior. (ie, same content in every subfolder) I don't think the developer who created this branch has worked on it since version 8.3. The other drawback is that it sometimes crashes the TiVo. With version 9, this problem has increased too.

The other "work around" is to not really support subfolders, but instead create a new pyTivo Share for every subfolder on your machine. This is an option that can be set in the config file. If you use the "subfolders" branch, and turn this on, you'll still have the crash problems that the subfolders branch causes, so I would use the Master edition.

If you really want to have subfolders working, use the subfolders version. (Not necessarily the one that supports metadata) What I do to avoid a crash is this:
Every time I go into a subfolder, and into the details of a show, I exit using the Tivo Button, and going back to NPL that way. If you back out of the details of the show, you can crash the Tivo.
Thanks for the clear explanation. I did read the whole thread, it took six hours, and did not find as clear an explanation as this one.

I will try the "new share" method you suggested on the Master Edition.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #1230
rsilvers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
I am trying to get pyTivo working. I get these errors. What is wrong?


rsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |