TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #1171
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I've discovered a source of ALL SeriesID. YES!

Query the show name at zap2it.com, and the SeriesID is embedded in the URL.

SH830603 Brotherhood
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlisti...ail&pgmId=EP008306030022

SH303483 Futurama
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlisti...ail&pgmId=EP003034830015

SH611442 Dirty Jobs
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlisti...ail&pgmId=EP006114420016
Nice!!
I was checking Yahoo and Tv Guide since they'be both affliated with TiVo for online scheduling, I should have guessed zap2it would be the one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
So without a SeriesID, the Tivo won't put them in "folders" in Now Playing, is that correct?
Correct.
Quote:
I uploaded some stuff that had the same "Series Name" and even though that name was shown on the Now Playing list, they didn't get grouped into a folder. I even tried using an existing Series Name, but no go.

If I actually set the Series ID to something the Tivo knows about, will it group them then?
Correct.
Quote:
And can I create my own Series ID that doesn't exist to the Tivo?
No, the TiVo has to know what the Series ID represents. It uses the stored guide data specific to your video source (e.g. Comcast of South Jersey, DirectTV, or OTA, etc.) to match the ID with a show; this data is periodically downloaded from TiVo(who get it from Tribune, who own Zap2It). With the info PaulS has discovered, you can find the SeriesID of any show, but your TiVo would still need that specific show to appear somewhere in its current guide data for us to able to be use that SeriesID to enable a grouped transfer.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #1172
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
So without a SeriesID, the Tivo won't put them in "folders" in Now Playing, is that correct? I uploaded some stuff that had the same "Series Name" and even though that name was shown on the Now Playing list, they didn't get grouped into a folder. I even tried using an existing Series Name, but no go.

If I actually set the Series ID to something the Tivo knows about, will it group them then? And can I create my own Series ID that doesn't exist to the Tivo?
I think it works this way:

1. No you can't make up your own series ID's.
2. Even a valid seriesID must be in your guide data or it won't group.

Also regarding PaulS's recent post, I believe you have to put "SH" in front of the 6 digit number he highlighted.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #1173
TreborPugly
Unreal!

I noticed in that other thread about Series ID's, that someone asked of Auto-record wish lists have an ID - that would be the best way to group external stuff. Create an Auto-record wish list with whatever name you want your stuff to eventually have, let it record a couple of shows, and use wmcbrine's script to get the SeriesID of the wish list, then start using that for your uploads.

I've got a project for this weekend!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #1174
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I noticed in that other thread about Series ID's, that someone asked of Auto-record wish lists have an ID - that would be the best way to group external stuff. Create an Auto-record wish list with whatever name you want your stuff to eventually have, let it record a couple of shows, and use wmcbrine's script to get the SeriesID of the wish list, then start using that for your uploads.

Don't WishList recording still group in the own series folders as well as the WishList's? In which case, the SeriesID is probably that of the show's SeriesID, not one from the whish list. But worth trying to find out.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #1175
mulscully

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydog65 View Post
Mulscully,

As pointed out by Reneg, indentation in the Python code is very important. Below are more lines from my Video.py:
def __getMetadateFromTxt(self, full_path):
metadata = {}
description_file = full_path + '.txt'
# MSMITH - Added the IF block below to look
# for a defaultMetadata.txt to cover all files in the folder.

if not os.path.exists(description_file):
base_path, title = os.path.split(full_path)
description_file = base_path + '\defaultMetadata.txt'
# END MSMITH Custom Change
if os.path.exists(description_file):
Mike
Thanks a Ton...!! It makes sense to me ... I am used to java php where indentation does not matter... { } matter
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #1176
mulscully

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I think it works this way:

1. No you can't make up your own series ID's.
2. Even a valid seriesID must be in your guide data or it won't group.

Also regarding PaulS's recent post, I believe you have to put "SH" in front of the 6 digit number he highlighted.
If #2 is correct, then wouldn't that mean if a show was cancelled and no longer appeared in the guide data but episodes still appeared in you NPL they would ungroup? Does that happen?
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #1177
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulscully View Post
If #2 is correct, then wouldn't that mean if a show was cancelled and no longer appeared in the guide data but episodes still appeared in you NPL they would ungroup? Does that happen?
They don't ungroup once grouped, but here's what has been observed for some time now, with MRV transfers:
TiVo A has a group of shows from some series that is no longer in the guide data.
TiVo B also has the same series group(doesn't matter if the individual shows are the same or not) and also no longer has guide data for the series.
If you transfer any show from A to B, it will not group with it's brethren shows of the same series. The TiVo decides at record and/or transfer time if a program is to be grouped, and uses the guide data to determine grouping. Once an item has been grouped, it remains there even after guide data is no longer available for it.

The above is true for regularly scheduled recordings (e.g. season passes and one time recordings). I do not know what magic makes autorecord Wishlists work for grouping.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #1178
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulscully View Post
Not sure. I'd assume stuff that was grouped would stay grouped.

As an experiment last night, I tried transferring two videos over, using the same SeriesID (SH759395 "Weeds"), but with the metadata indicating another series ("test"). The videos grouped under the "Weeds" name, even though there are no upcoming episodes in the guide data. Does this (re)confirm what everyone is seeing ?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #1179
svhawk

Video Files in sub folders

I have a series 2 TIVO (toshiba). I can get the folder name to show up in NPL but not the actual video files.

I have the following: z:\kids videos\air bud\air bud movie

format. I have the following in the config file

z:\kids videos

do all the video files themselves be subordinate to the "kids videos" folder or can they be in sub folders (I even tried putting in the config file the exact Z:\kids videos\air bud\air bud movie still does not show up)

it is probably something simple any help is appreciated.
svhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #1180
jcthorne

Quote:

Please give this a try and let us know what you observe.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #1181
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Please give this a try and let us know what you observe.
I just tried this, and no dice. I have two AWRL, and neither showed up in the python script that someone posted earlier.

The first is "HD and Movies and (2007 or 2006)", and has 5 movies in it right now, all recorded from HBO-HD and StarzHD. Either the script isn't smart enough to recurse into folders/groups, or they're just not there.

The second is a simple one I created for this test. It's targeted at "news", and it's currently recording both CSPAN and CSPAN2. Neither the AWRL or the recordings show up in the python script output.

Last edited by PaulS : 11-29-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #1182
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
Found the pyTivo fix for ffmpeg r10908 (and later). Was already posted a month ago. Man it's hard to keep up around here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post5642515
THANKS! That worked!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #1183
PaulS

Quote:
Found the pyTivo fix for ffmpeg r10908 (and later). Was already posted a month ago. Man it's hard to keep up around here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post5642515
Just double checking here.... Isn't that fix already in the 143ca build, at line 262 of transcode.py ?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #1184
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Just double checking here.... Isn't that fix already in the 143ca build, at line 262 of transcode.py ?
Doesn't appear so to me. The offending comma looks like it's still there to me. Latest revision affecting transcode.py was d7d8....

and
Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 AM   #1185
wgw

Quote:
No, at first I thought that myself, but the change is so small that it is barely noticable. Note the last comma at the end of the first line, and the "space" replacing the comma in the fix.

Original:
rezre = re.compile(r'.*Video: .+, (\d+)x(\d+),.*')
Fix:
rezre = re.compile(r'.*Video: .+, (\d+)x(\d+) .*')
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #1186
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Either the script isn't smart enough to recurse into folders/groups, or they're just not there.
The script recurses. But Wishlists don't create Series IDs. There was no reason to believe they did, BTW.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #1187
wgw

Quote:
Not sure. I'd assume stuff that was grouped would stay grouped.

As an experiment last night, I tried transferring two videos over, using the same SeriesID (SH759395 "Weeds"), but with the metadata indicating another series ("test"). The videos grouped under the "Weeds" name, even though there are no upcoming episodes in the guide data. Does this (re)confirm what everyone is seeing ?
I believe that as long as you recorded an episode of Weeds within the last 30 days, it will remeber that series ID and keep the grouping alive for that series ID. On the other hand, Weeds is also available as a Unbox download which might also keep the series ID active and available for grouping, but I kind of doubt that. It's hard to say which promoted the grouping until Weeds has been unavailable for recording for more than 30 days or so. Also, If you keep just one episode of Weeds on the Tivo, I think it might keep the SeriesID active indefinitly. My guess is that if an episode has not been recorded or appeared in the guide within about 30 days, the seriesid for that group name will become useless unless you have an original .tivo file containing that series ID which can be transferred back to the tivo.

Assuming this is how it works, I'm not going to worry too much about keeping the seriesID alive for any given series. It would be too much work. Instead, I have set manual 5 minute recordings for generic series names like "special", "movie", "various", or "variety". I will leave the 5 minute recordings on the tivo to reserve or remember the series ID for those titles and use those for generic grouping. Hopefully that will work but only time will tell.

It's unfortunate that seriesids seem to become useless after a while. But since that appears to be the case at this time, I'm thinking that it is a waste of time and effort to try to maintain the seriesid for every show that one records. But let's hope that armooo finds a way to rebuild or create series ids on demand. That would be ideal, but it does not look promising at this time.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #1188
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The script recurses. But Wishlists don't create Series IDs. There was no reason to believe they did, BTW.
Okay, but is there some other metadata item that defines the group they end up in on the NPL?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #1189
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Okay, but is there some other metadata item that defines the group they end up in on the NPL?
Don't think so. I've used metadata files where the seriesTitle and all other items did not match the seriesID. They grouped and the group name was still the correct series title determined by the seriesID -- not by any other metadata item.

and
Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #1190
PaulS

Quote:
No, at first I thought that myself, but the change is so small that it is barely noticable. Note the last comma at the end of the first line, and the "space" replacing the comma in the fix.

Original:
rezre = re.compile(r'.*Video: .+, (\d+)x(\d+),.*')
Fix:
rezre = re.compile(r'.*Video: .+, (\d+)x(\d+) .*')

Uh oh... Looks like it's time to bump up the font size on my text editor, or get new glasses, or both.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #1191
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No, they don't, but It only took 10 minutes to confirm and positively rule that option out.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #1192
PaulS

Quote:
I believe that as long as you recorded an episode of Weeds within the last 30 days, it will remeber that series ID and keep the grouping alive for that series ID. On the other hand, Weeds is also available as a Unbox download which might also keep the series ID active and available for grouping, but I kind of doubt that. It's hard to say which promoted the grouping until Weeds has been unavailable for recording for more than 30 days or so. Also, If you keep just one episode of Weeds on the Tivo, I think it might keep the SeriesID active indefinitly. My guess is that if an episode has not been recorded or appeared in the guide within about 30 days, the seriesid for that group name will become useless unless you have an original .tivo file containing that series ID which can be transferred back to the tivo.
Nope. I hadn't recorded Weeds at all, since I don't subscribe to Showtime. I just used that as an example, since someone had already listed it in the SeriesID thread. Additionally, Unbox downloads get a different ID ("MV" instead of "SH"), so there's another inconsistency.

Quote:
It's unfortunate that seriesids seem to become useless after a while. But since that appears to be the case at this time, I'm thinking that it is a waste of time and effort to try to maintain the seriesid for every show that one records. But let's hope that armooo finds a way to rebuild or create series ids on demand. That would be ideal, but it does not look promising at this time.
Yup. Given the 7-digit and 2-character space that these ID's represent, and allocating a sufficient string size for each ID, would result in a sizable database. It's probably not practical to always store the complete list on the box, and it would also be slow to traverse/query that enormous database as well.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #1193
rgr

This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to pyTiVo and am wonder what the difference is between all the versions at the armoo download site. The most recently uploaded is pyTivo-2007-11-25-master-d49819f39a81972d744a39a9eea42c63b5b455f4.zip. How does that differ from the one with "subfolders" in the name? Or "extend-descriptions"? Or should I ignore all the recent armoo versions and just go with the build 210 on sourceforge - and if so, what is the difference in those versions (endings are py2.2 through py2.6 and platform independent version)?

Thanks.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #1194
PaulS

Ahem.... Lookee here...

Available on request via PM.

Alphabetically :
Quote:
SH506749 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders
SH607733 101 Juiciest Hollywood Hookups
SH803071 108 Stitches
SH016746 12 O'Clock High
SH000021 20/20
SH801879 2005 GGL Tournament
SH000025 21 Jump Street
SH516386 30 Seconds to Fame
SH000035 60 Minutes
SH701440 60 Minutes on Classic
SH000038 77 Sunset Strip
SH814985 8th & Ocean
SH713540 A Child's Bookshelf: Inside Children's Literature
SH000047 A Current Affair
SH000051 A Different World
SH206842 A la Cachi Cachi Porra
SH518036 A New Beginning
SH000066 A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
SH506736 A Toda Prueba
SH807414 A Touch From Grace
By ID :
Quote:
SH000021 20/20
SH000025 21 Jump Street
SH000035 60 Minutes
SH000038 77 Sunset Strip
SH000047 A Current Affair
SH000051 A Different World
SH000066 A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
SH000088 Best Damn Investigates
SH000115 The Addams Family
SH000116 Adderly
SH000172 Airwolf
SH000181 ALF
SH000184 Alfred Hitchcock Presents
SH000187 Alias Smith and Jones
SH000188 Alice
SH000190 Alien Nation
SH000204 All in the Family
SH000206 All My Children
SH000235 Amazing Stories
SH000248 America's Most Wanted

Last edited by PaulS : 11-30-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #1195
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
If there was only a Windows version of this...it would be awsome!

I think this is exactly what I was talking about yesterday.
I didn't have any luck finding a Windows program that did the same as the DVDPedia app for the mac, however I did stumble across something that might work with a little programming expertise. IMDbPY seems to be an active project with a current release. I'm sure that someone with more python experience could integrate it into pyTivo faster than I ever could.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #1196
jcthorne

If I recorded a 1 minute section of a program and downloaded the .tivo file to the pc. Then loaded that .tivo file on a different tivo, would that tivo then know and group other programs with the same series id? IE a way of getting my tivo to group things using series ids not in my guide data or recorded by me.

Just thinking out loud here.

If so, I could sure use a short .tivo file with the series name 'Movies" or some sort. "Concerts", Documentary and Live Comedy would be useful groups too....

Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #1197
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to pyTiVo and am wonder what the difference is between all the versions at the armoo download site. The most recently uploaded is pyTivo-2007-11-25-master-d49819f39a81972d744a39a9eea42c63b5b455f4.zip. How does that differ from the one with "subfolders" in the name? Or "extend-descriptions"? Or should I ignore all the recent armoo versions and just go with the build 210 on sourceforge - and if so, what is the difference in those versions (endings are py2.2 through py2.6 and platform independent version)?

Thanks.
Well first of all, good luck! The two primary information sources are this thread and the pyTivo Wiki.

I think the build 210 you refer to is pyWin32, which is not pyTivo but rather python extensions for Windows, needed only if you plan to run pyTivo as a Windows service. It should only be installed after you install python.

You can browse the timeline and other information in the Wiki to get an idea of what's going on. Here is a recent post about subfolders.
I think you would be OK with the latest version (d498....).

Properly setting up the config file (pyTivo.conf) seems to be the biggest problem for new users. There is useful guidance in the Wiki. When you get all the software installed and your best estimate of a good config file, I recommend you post it here along with all the details such as number and type of TiVo's, and your type of TV('s), pc operating system, etc. Experienced users will gladly give you suggestions to complete a good config file.

and
Old 11-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #1198
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If I recorded a 1 minute section of a program and downloaded the .tivo file to the pc. Then loaded that .tivo file on a different tivo, would that tivo then know and group other programs with the same series id?
If if worked that way, people wouldn't have problems grouping when MRV'ing shows. But they do..

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4077517
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #1199
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
If if worked that way, people wouldn't have problems grouping when MRV'ing shows. But they do..

Yep. suppose you are right. Brain fart.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #1200
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post

Thanks for posting this thread, I wasn't aware of its existence. Nice to hear what I thought I understood confirmed straight from the horse's mouth (No offense intended to Jerry ).