TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #1111
jcthorne

Here is a wierd tidbit of info.

The only difference I can detect between isEpisode : true and false is the year in () after the 'episide title' at the top. It displays the group name in large type at the top and then the name of the show in small text with the description.

However, setting isEpisode to something else like xxx or even the incorrect syntax False with a capitol F, Tivo now displays the shows name at the top in large letters, not the group name. But it ignores many of the other meta data items then. Not all but some.

Is there a way to get tivo to display the show name at the top instead of the group name and still have it read all the metadata?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #1112
jcthorne

In Armooo's post 1044 he lists seriesTitle twice, why? does this have something to do with show titles vs group titles vs episode titles? Was one of those supposed to have different capitolization or something to show a different variable?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #1113
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo View Post
Most of the changes in the 8.3 branch are KRKeegan's. I kept them in the branch because I have always been able to crash my tivo with them, and because it is a bug ugly mess. But I was able to merge master on to the 8.3 branch and it seems to be working. So you should be able to have all the new toys now and still have the working subfolders.

I have not been using the 8.3 branch, I just setup a share for each folder. And now I was using the auto_subshares option to create them for me. But I hope this works out for you.
Thanks for the last merge. However, this seems to be less stable than the previous "folders" version I was using (198 or 200 I guess) I can't back out of subfolders without a crash. It's possible that it's only the version 9.1 of the Tivo software, and I haven't noticed the newer sensitivity because my normal use is to drill down, start a transfer, and then use the TiVo button to jump back to the main menu, avoiding the opportunity for a crash. Today, I drilled down to one sub folder, and then tried to come back out to check that the listings would be correct for another sub folder. Maybe when KRKeegan is next active, he'll be able to check out the 9.1 interactions.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #1114
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Okay, I've tried the main branch, with the auto_subshares option, and can't get that to work. I'm using the "143ca...." zip, and if I turn on auto_subshares, I just see nothing on my Tivo. If I turn it off, I see the two main shares I've created. Is there something else I need to edit to get the auto_subshares working? Are there constraints on using the auto subshares method? (ie, if I have subfolders in subfolders, does that break it? If I have too many subfolders does that break it?) Here's my pytivo.conf file:
Code:
[Video]
type = video
path = c:\personal\video
auto_subshares= True

[Music]
type = music
path = c:\personal\audio

[OnMini]
type = video
path = \\EDMini\video

[Server]
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
video_br = 1024K
width = 544
debug = false
port = 9032
If I change the auto_subshares to false, then I see my two video shares. When it is true, I see nothing.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #1115
jcthorne

Anyone know if there is a way to tell if a video transferrs completely to the Tivo? Tivo says partial but the file size is larger than the size on the PC. You cannot FF to the end to see if it gets to the credits. Is there are log file or debug mode I could be using?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #1116
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
Okay, I've tried the main branch, with the auto_subshares option, and can't get that to work. I'm using the "143ca...." zip, and if I turn on auto_subshares, I just see nothing on my Tivo. If I turn it off, I see the two main shares I've created. Is there something else I need to edit to get the auto_subshares working? Are there constraints on using the auto subshares method? (ie, if I have subfolders in subfolders, does that break it? If I have too many subfolders does that break it?) Here's my pytivo.conf file:
Code:
[Video]
type = video
auto_subshares= True

[Music]
type = music

[OnMini]
type = video
path = \\EDMini\video

[Server]
video_br = 1024K
width = 544
debug = false
port = 9032
If I change the auto_subshares to false, then I see my two video shares. When it is true, I see nothing.
Isn't the auto_shares line supposed to go in the [Server] section?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #1117
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Isn't the auto_shares line supposed to go in the [Server] section?

Not according to the example file, pytivo.conf.dist.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #1118
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Code:
[Video]
type = video
auto_subshares= True

[Music]
type = music

[OnMini]
type = video
path = \\EDMini\video

[Server]
video_br = 1024K
width = 544
debug = false
port = 9032
I just tried it myself and it works. Do you see all the shares if you go to http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Co...er&Container=/ They may be a limit to the number of shares that one server can have.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #1119
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo View Post
I just tried it myself and it works. Do you see all the shares if you go to http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Co...er&Container=/ They may be a limit to the number of shares that one server can have.
Thanks. It was giving an error about one of my folders that had a "&" in the name. I changed the named of that folder, and it works now. I'll have to clean up how many sub-sub-folders I've got because it's a real mess right now..
Old 11-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #1120
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Thanks. It was giving an error about one of my folders that had a "&" in the name. I changed the named of that folder, and it works now. I'll have to clean up how many sub-sub-folders I've got because it's a real mess right now..
I just added proper xml escaping to the share names. So your old folder names should work.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #1121
TreborPugly
Unreal!

For the Kid zone use, there is a tag named "KidZone Status" in the Program details for every show. I don't think just changing the "Rating" detail will do it, because the "KidZone Status" tag just doesn't exist on the stuff transfered via pyTivo. So it won't be checking the ratings, if it doesn't exist at all.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #1122
scrappydog65
Long Time TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
Could you go one step further and have the program scan the folder for a file called defaultMetadata.txt which would contain overriding metadata attributes that would be applied to all files in that folder.
I recommend this as an enhancement as well.

In the mean time, I wrote something like this for my folders as well. It's a simple change to video.py at line 63 in the __getMetadateFromTxt() function. Just add the following 3 lines into the function after the description_file = line.

if not os.path.exists(description_file):
base_path, title = os.path.split(full_path)
description_file = base_path + '\defaultMetadata.txt'

Mike
scrappydog65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #1123
MasterCephus

Sorry for posting this (there really needs to be a feature page with details about each page), but I have been using version 201 and I have been out of time for a bit. I just noticed that there is a newer version...

I have also noticed in some posts that it now recognizes txt files that contains descriptions of the video.

can someone please give a description of the new features, how to create this text file (do you make it manually, or is there an automatic way?), and anything else I might have missed

This is great that this is so active, but there needs to be some place that keeps up with the features so new people can understand everything and they won't get over there heads so fast...

Thanks!
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #1124
wgw

Thanks scrappy, I will be populating all my subfolders with defaultMetadata files forthwith.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #1125
scrappydog65
Long Time TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus View Post
can someone please give a description of the new features, how to create this text file (do you make it manually, or is there an automatic way?), and anything else I might have missed
MasterCephus,

For now the files have to be created manually, though it wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with a way to automatically build them by parsing the filename.

Anyway , just create a text file with the same name as the video file in the same folder. The text file can have any of the attributes as described in the link below. Note that the attribute names are case sensitive (Description is not the same as description). Also, dates are in the UTC format of yyyy-mm-ddThh:nn:ssZ.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...8&#post5722528

Here is an example file I have (filename=Fantastic Planet.avi.txt):
title : Fantastic Planet
description : La Planete Sauvage (1973) This film takes place on a faraway planet where giants rule, and tiny humanoids must fight for their lives and their equality. A metaphor of class struggles. Overdubbed in English.
episode_title : Fantastic Planet
time : 2007-11-21T02:00:00Z
originalAirDate : 1973-12-01T00:00:00Z
vProgramGenre : Animated
vProgramGenre : Sci-Fi
zDirector : René Laloux
zWriter : René Laloux
zWriter : Roland Topor

Old 11-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #1126
BillB

I just got pytivo up and running. I am using XP Pro SP2 and Tivo Desktop 2.41a. Everything is working except when I go into the subfolder under My Movies on the Tivo S2, I get nothing. I just transferred two .mpg files for testing.

I then put the files into the base folder on my PC and they transferred just fine and I can see them under My Movies with the same name as in the base folder. However, when I go to play them back from the Now Playing List, they both have the same name as the folder they were in on my PC. Is this the normal behavior for pytivo or am I doing something wrong? I used to use Tivo.net and even though I could not get subfolders, at least I could read the name of the episode of the TV show, ie. 24x01, 24x02, etc. I am amazed at the speed of the transfers, and I can live without the subfolders, but the name thing may not be worth the trouble.

I am running Python 2.51 and I copied the "pyTivo-2007-11-22-master-143ca8f0247571c5bba427e9b1c652dfa1a2a891.zip" files to Program Files Pytivo folder, fixed the conf file as instructed on the Wiki site and ran pytivo.py. I get a blank DOS screen with nothing on it until I go to the Tivo and start My Movies from the Now Playing List. Then the DOS screen gets some verbage on it and I am able to transfer.

By the way, I am not using the Plus version of Tivo Desktop and I spent 6 hours today going thru the 23 pages of this thread.

I am a little confused as to what is meant by "share" in the way many are using it. Can anyone give me a definition as to how it is meant in the conf file?

Very strange behavior.

Can anyone give me a hand?

Many thanks,

Bill

Last edited by BillB : 11-25-2007 at 07:33 PM.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #1127
wgw

BillB,

Sounds like everything is working as it should. However, due to the addition of metadata, ver.143ca has been designed to use the folder name as the title and the filename as the episode title. With this version, it works best to turn on auto_subshares, and place your recordings into subfolders having the name of the series. Turn on auto_subshares by removing the # in front of that line in your conf file.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #1128
cedarrapidsboy

Does anyone have a valid multi-tivo configuration supporting both HD and SD content? I can't seem to get the per-tivo section to send HD-resolution to my TivoHD. If I change the global settings, it seems to work, but then the SD Tivos choke on it.

Code:
##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
[_tivo_xxx]
#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
aspect169=true
width=1440
height=720
audio_br=320K
video_br=12Mi
ffmpeg_prams=-vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b %(video_br)s -maxrate %(max_video_br)s -bufsize %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s -comment pyTivo.py -ac 2 -ab %(audio_br)s -ar 44100 -f vob -
The above settings cause:
TypeError: can't multiply sequence by non-int of type 'float'
Any experience from a mixed SD/HD TiVo home? I want to send 3K video_br to my SD tivos (they can't seem to keep up with anything more), and a 12M stream to my TiVoHD.
cedarrapidsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 AM   #1129
grahamkent

I haven't gotten it to work 100% yet, the HD videos seem to end prematurely in any builds post-201 while the SD videos work perfectly. However, I did have the same problem you are experiencing and found this solved it for me. Your experience might differ but the error sounds like the same one I was receiving.

In \plugins\video\transcode.py, change the 'select_aspect' function from this:

def select_aspect(inFile, tsn = ''):
TIVO_WIDTH = config.getTivoWidth(tsn)
TIVO_HEIGHT = config.getTivoHeight(tsn)

To this:

TIVO_WIDTH = float(TIVO_WIDTH)
TIVO_HEIGHT = float(TIVO_HEIGHT)

Without the two additional lines the two TIVO_XXXX variables are of the wrong type for the arithmetic required later by pyTivo.

Good luck.
grahamkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #1130
MasterCephus

thank you so much scrappydog65!

I wonder how difficult it would be to manually auto create those text files (can we say oxymoron? ). What I mean is somehow if we know the name of a show and the episode we have, I wonder if we could hit tv.com and parse through to get the information to create the text file.....

Maybe some type of GUI that let's you choose the file you want to get the info about, specify if it's a movie or tv show, then go to the proper place and get the information. It would either succeed or not and give information on why didn't succeed (page not founds probably)...

What do you guys think?
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #1131
BillB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
BillB,

Sounds like everything is working as it should. However, due to the addition of metadata, ver.143ca has been designed to use the folder name as the title and the filename as the episode title. With this version, it works best to turn on auto_subshares, and place your recordings into subfolders having the name of the series. Turn on auto_subshares by removing the # in front of that line in your conf file.
wgw:
Thank you very much. I either did not run across anything mentioning auto_subshares or overlooked it yesterday in my 6 hours of reading this thread. The thread is so techinical that my head was spinning after the read, and I am not a novice with computers. I have been testing software for about 25 years since DOS came out in 1982. However, I have limited programming experience and I am not familiar with Python.

Again, your help is much appreciated. I am transferring the files now and it appears that they are going into a subfolder under My Movies in the NPL.

Bill

P.S. I just looked at the NPL after downloading the two files (24x01.mpg and 24x02.mpg) into a subfolder called 24. The same problem still occurs except I now have 2 24 listings in the NPL. It appears from this behavior that you have to create a subfolder with the name of each episode that you transfer. Is this true?

Last edited by BillB : 11-26-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Additional information
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #1132
GunnerMcGrath

Hi, I was wondering why 1920x1080 resolution is not supported? Is it expected to be added in a new version?
GunnerMcGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #1133
scrappydog65
Long Time TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamkent View Post
In \plugins\video\transcode.py, change the 'select_aspect' function from this:

To this:

TIVO_WIDTH = float(TIVO_WIDTH)
TIVO_HEIGHT = float(TIVO_HEIGHT)
I also had to change a line in CONFIG.PY (getTivoHeight function) from
height = int(config.get('_tivo_' + tsn, 'height_br'))
to
height = int(config.get('_tivo_' + tsn, 'height'))

Miie
Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 AM   #1134
dlfl
Cranky old novice

pyTivoMetaGen Ver. 0.30

pyTivo Metadata Generator program. Generates metatdata files for pyTivo by using a TivoDecode com object to read the metadata from .tivo files -- thanks to FrooBrar, TiVo Decode author. Processes one or multiple files selected in a file browser.
Just download from here and run the installer. A desktop icon is created (which you can delete if you want). Operation is self-explanatory.

This initial version has no options. Enhanced versions with more operator options, and more metadata items, may come later. The installer is needed because the tivoDecode COM dll must be installed and registered, which is done automatically. Don't worry, it's painless and harmless!

If you don't like the mediafire free file sharing site, please suggest a better one.

Note: this is a Windows program and requires .NET framework 2.0 (or 3.0) installed. Most windows computers already have this but it is easily downloaded and installed from Microsoft. Just google .NET framework to find the download site.

Enjoy!
Edit: 16 Dec 07 -- download link changed to new version 0.32

and

Last edited by dlfl : 01-14-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #1135
jcthorne

Is there some reason the ffmpeg that is included with the pytivo install has difficulty with h264 encoded mkv files where the current version from the mplayer site does not? Pytivo is giving a long string of decode errors 'Error while decoding stream #0.0, [h264 @ 009C3820]AVC: nal size xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Feeding the same mkv file to the newer version results in no errors and recodes fine.

Can pytivo use the latest version instead of the one distributed or is there something custom about that one?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #1136
dionysian

Stuck In ToDo List

It seems as though the install went ok on my pc, but now the video just seems to be stuck in my todo list on the tivo and is not transfering. It simply says "This program will be transferred after previously requested programs have finished transferring"...... What previosly requested programs is the tivo talking about.... ? Is it going to wait untill my season pass of southpark and the daily show going to expire due to the cancelation of the show? Or is it going to transfer just randomly when it feels like it to supprise me?

Sorry if this issue has been address before but i dont have to patiants to parse through every post on the pytivo form.

Thank you in advance.
dionysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #1137
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Is there some reason the ffmpeg that is included with the pytivo install has difficulty with h264 encoded mkv files where the current version from the mplayer site does not? Pytivo is giving a long string of decode errors 'Error while decoding stream #0.0, [h264 @ 009C3820]AVC: nal size xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Feeding the same mkv file to the newer version results in no errors and recodes fine.

Can pytivo use the latest version instead of the one distributed or is there something custom about that one?
This format and container are kind of leading edge so it wouldn't be surprising if support for it in ffmpeg is variable with versions. The easiest way to find out whether a given version will work with pyTivo is just to download it, rename to ffmpeg_mp2.exe and replace the distributed version. Which version is in your mplayer install? (Open a command window, log to the folder containing ffmpeg and enter ffmpeg -i dud.)

Here is a site where you can download many of the recent versions compiled for Windows. The one distributed with pyTivo is r8047. These are distributed in 7zip format so you need 7zip installed on your computer. It's a solid harmless utility so just download it here and install it.

Also for the "official" documentation go to the ffmpeg web site. In the general documentation section it lists file formats and codecs that are supported. According to that, MKV is supported for both encoding and decoding while H264 is supported for decoding only. Thus if you get a recent version it should handle your files. However, pyTivo processes some of the text information that ffmpeg spits out and some versions of ffmpeg have changed the formatting of that enough to break pyTivo.

Bottom line: just try it.

and
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #1138
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysian View Post
It seems as though the install went ok on my pc, but now the video just seems to be stuck in my todo list on the tivo and is not transfering. It simply says "This program will be transferred after previously requested programs have finished transferring"...... What previosly requested programs is the tivo talking about.... ? Is it going to wait untill my season pass of southpark and the daily show going to expire due to the cancelation of the show? Or is it going to transfer just randomly when it feels like it to supprise me?

Sorry if this issue has been address before but i dont have to patiants to parse through every post on the pytivo form.
Thank you in advance.
This shouldn't be happening but OP have experienced it. You need to clear it by removing the ToDo item corresponding to the hung transfer. Then go back to live video and then re-enter the TiVo menu (e.g. NPL or ToDo). I don't know exactly what causes this -- maybe someone else can help.

If you continue to have problems, post your entire pyTivo.conf file contents. Also post the version # of pyTivo and your TiVo model and computer type.

and
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #1139
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This format and container are kind of leading edge so it wouldn't be surprising if support for it in ffmpeg is variable with versions. The easiest way to find out whether a given version will work with pyTivo is just to download it, rename to ffmpeg_mp2.exe and replace the distributed version. Which version is in your mplayer install? (Open a command window, log to the folder containing ffmpeg and enter ffmpeg -i dud.)

Here is a site where you can download many of the recent versions compiled for Windows. The one distributed with pyTivo is r8047. These are distributed in 7zip format so you need 7zip installed on your computer. It's a solid harmless utility so just download it here and install it.

Also for the "official" documentation go to the ffmpeg web site. In the general documentation section it lists file formats and codecs that are supported. According to that, MKV is supported for both encoding and decoding while H264 is supported for decoding only. Thus if you get a recent version it should handle your files. However, pyTivo processes some of the text information that ffmpeg spits out and some versions of ffmpeg have changed the formatting of that enough to break pyTivo.

Bottom line: just try it.
With such dynamically changing programs, hopefully when the metadata features have stabilized, will there be a release that is somewhat synced and current for the non-technical crowd.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #1140
mulscully

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydog65 View Post
I recommend this as an enhancement as well.

In the mean time, I wrote something like this for my folders as well. It's a simple change to video.py at line 63 in the __getMetadateFromTxt() function. Just add the following 3 lines into the function after the description_file = line.

if not os.path.exists(description_file):
base_path, title = os.path.split(full_path)
description_file = base_path + '\defaultMetadata.txt'

Mike
Not too familiar with python, but I get that the : is the start of a block for the if, but is description_file = base_path + '\defaultMetadata.txt' supposed to be part of that block also?

maybe you can post your lines from your video.py file with a few of the original line above and below your modification.. to help us see exacly how it is inserted...

Thanks
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote