TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #1081
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Hmmm.... I think it's more complicated than that. I just did some experiments and didn't get grouping even though the seriesID was correct. There must be another metadata tag(s) that can defeat or enable grouping in some logic combination. Looking at the 143ca template I see that isEpisodic is being set with the value of isEpisode, i.e., it's already being sent as "true" -- and thus that can't be the problem.

'tis a puzzlement!

Edit: Whoa! Maybe NOT a puzzlement but rather a bug in TVAP parsing the TiVoDecode "chunk" containing the .tivo metadata. Stand by!
I corrected the xml parsing bug in TVAP, got the correct seriesID and now grouping works. (Will be releasing fixed version of TVAP RSN.)

It's still possible that grouping depends on having

isEpisode : true

in your pyTivo metadata file. Note that pyTivo actually sets the "isEpisodic" tag based on this line, which is consistent with my observation that the "isEpisode" tag in .Tivo files always seems to be true even for movies. TVAP reads the isEpisodic tag from the .TiVo file and uses that value for the isEpisode line in the generated pyTivo metadata file. Thus isEpisodic eventually gets mapped to isEpisodic and all is well (I hope!)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #1082
wgw

Are you sure, I tried setting isEpisode to false and it still grouped.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #1083
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
Are you sure, I tried setting isEpisode to false and it still grouped.
No I wasn't sure at all. Glad to hear it doesn't matter! The just released new version of TVAP (0.46) has it covered either way.

and
Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #1084
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
The following is the seriesid for show titled "Various". Would someone mind trying this to see if it will group shows on their Tivo. I'm just wondering if the series ID has to come from a previous recording on your own account, or if anyone can use any valid series id.

seriesId : SH380827

If this works for anyone, you might want to use this series id to group all your movies or miscellaneous recordings in the same folder. seriesId : SH897934 is for show called "HitList" which I am currently using to group movies. You might try that one too.
I tried it with two different series episodes using SH380827 -- No Joy

and
Old 11-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #1085
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No, it isn't. As I've said, all I did was to add a valid series ID, and I got grouping. This is with the "<SeriesID>" tag in the... let's call it the "top-level" XML. You don't have to set anything in the linked XML. Now, it might just be possible that if you do set something in the linked XML, then you have more to do... I haven't tried that yet.
Yep, already found that out, see post 1085.

and
Old 11-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #1086
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Yep, already found that out, see post 1085.
Yep, that's why I already deleted that message before your reply went up.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #1087
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yep, that's why I already deleted that message before your reply went up.
lol

and
Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #1088
jcthorne

When I check the list from pTivo from TivoHD it displays the information from the txt file and fills in the duration correctly.

Once transferred to the Tivo, the duration shows as 0.00 and (partial). The file size looks right and the file starts playing. As it will not FF I do not know if the whole recording has transferred or not. Is there an error log or some other way of knowing? Why does the duration not display correctly. Some of the recordings I trasferred last week with older versions of pytivo display the duration correctly. Any ideas?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #1089
jcthorne

Does the seriesId I use need to be one my Tivo already has recorded? If so, guess I would need to find a series with a name I can live with for a Group name for my movie files and recored it, then use the seriesId. Am I on the right track?

Does the seriesTitle then need to match the seriesId I used or can I give it a different seriesTitle?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #1090
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Does the seriesId I use need to be one my Tivo already has recorded? If so, guess I would need to find a series with a name I can live with for a Group name for my movie files and recored it, then use the seriesId. Am I on the right track?

Does the seriesTitle then need to match the seriesId I used or can I give it a different seriesTitle?
My experience (see post 1086) seems to say that just having a "valid" seriesID is not enough. But that still leaves room for a lot of questions, such as you ask (whether the seriesTitle needs to match) etc.

and
Old 11-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #1091
jcthorne

Would be nice to determine A combination that works and then improve the concept from there. I still do not have one that works for grouping and am trying to duplicate someone elses success and work from there.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #1092
gilbreen

I am trying to use the new naming convention using pyTivo version 43ca. I am not trying to do series/episode naming but rather simply the naming of movies and one-run shows. I have added the .txt file and it is parsing some of the info correctly but not all of it.

For example, I have a folder on my PC called 'XPC Movies'. Inside that folders are individual movie .mpg files (no sub-folders). One, for example, is the movie, 'No Way Out'. I have created a file called No Way Out.mpg.txt that contains:

Code:
title : No Way Out
description : A coverup and witchhunt occur after a politician accidentally kills his mistress.
original air date : 1987
actor(s) : Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman
director(s) : Roger Donaldson
When I browse the XPC Movies share, it shows 'No Way Out' as the episode title with XPC Movies as the series. Also, it shows the description but the year shows as 2007 and it does not show the actor and director info. In addition, once I transfer the file, in the NPL, it shows as XPC Movies, instead of No Way Out.

How should I structure the .txt file so that No Way Out does not show as the episode but rather as the title.
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #1093
dlfl
Cranky old novice

re grouping

Quote:
I tried it with two different series episodes using SH380827 -- No Joy
Tried again with same seriesID but setting both seriesTitle's to the same string, which I made up. Still no grouping.

This seriesID is a valid one from wgw's tivo, so the question of whether it would work with a seriesID already recorded on my tivo remains.

Edit: Question no longer remains:
I deleted a group of one series (test only) on my tivo. Then I set the pyTivo metadata items seriesTitle and seriesID on two pc files to be identical to the series I had just deleted on the tivo. After pyTivo transfer, they grouped!
The two test clips were from different series.

I'm guessing the tivo either remembers all (or a lot of) the recent series data it has recorded OR that it found a match in the deleted files folder. (??)

and

Last edited by dlfl : 11-24-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #1094
dlfl
Cranky old novice

grouping - attempt to summarize behavior

Here is a summary of what I think we've learned about grouping. My thanks to wgw for his pm's with several series ID/series Title combination and his findings. I believe everything below is consistent with his results.

1. Grouping requires identical seriesId numbers and the number must be a "valid one", i.e., you can't just make one up.

2. The seriesId does NOT have to be from a recording done on YOUR tivo, just a valid one, e.g., obtained from a recording on a different tivo box.

3. If you don't have seriesTitle items in your metadata files, the folder name containing the video on your pc will be used for the Title (the top one in large letters on the first info page). The group name shown in the NPL however will be the matching series title for the seriesId you specified -- even though your metadata file does not contain this information. I suspect the tivo actually goes out on the network to get this, or it maintains a complete local database, which is probably feasible.

Anybody have anything to add to (or dispute) this?

and
Old 11-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #1095
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbreen View Post
I am trying to use the new naming convention using pyTivo version 43ca. I am not trying to do series/episode naming but rather simply the naming of movies and one-run shows. I have added the .txt file and it is parsing some of the info correctly but not all of it.

For example, I have a folder on my PC called 'XPC Movies'. Inside that folders are individual movie .mpg files (no sub-folders). One, for example, is the movie, 'No Way Out'. I have created a file called No Way Out.mpg.txt that contains:

Code:
description : A coverup and witchhunt occur after a politician accidentally kills his mistress.
original air date : 1987
actor(s) : Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman
director(s) : Roger Donaldson
When I browse the XPC Movies share, it shows 'No Way Out' as the episode title with XPC Movies as the series. Also, it shows the description but the year shows as 2007 and it does not show the actor and director info. In addition, once I transfer the file, in the NPL, it shows as XPC Movies, instead of No Way Out.

How should I structure the .txt file so that No Way Out does not show as the episode but rather as the title.
See post 1044 in this thread where Armooo lists all the keys for metadata file items.

Each line in the file must have the form:

<key> : <value>

e.g.:
seriesTitle : Lost Worlds

The order of the lines doesn't matter.
Having all the keys defined is not necessary.

For your example, correct formatting would be:

originalAirDate : 1987
vActor : Kevin Costner
vActor : Gene Hackman
vDirector : Roger Donaldson

try adding

seriesTitle : No Way Out

Didn't that movie also star Clint Eastwood, or is my memory acting up again?

and
Old 11-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #1096
gilbreen

Quote:
See post 1044 in this thread where Armooo lists all the keys for metadata file items.

Didn't that movie also star Clint Eastwood, or is my memory acting up again?
Excellent! Thanks for the reference to post 1044. I was using a posting in the TVAP thread and was using the wrong keywords.

No, Clint Eastwood wasn't in No Way Out.

Thanks for the help!

Gilbert
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #1097
jcthorne

Quick queston,

What is the format for originalAirDate ?

My line:

originalAirDate : 2006

seems to have no effect (its for a movie if it matters) Could someone please show me the correct syntax? Thanks!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #1098
jcthorne

Quote:
Here is a summary of what I think we've learned about grouping. My thanks to wgw for his pm's with several series ID/series Title combination and his findings. I believe everything below is consistent with his results.

1. Grouping requires identical seriesId numbers and the number must be a "valid one", i.e., you can't just make one up.

2. The seriesId does NOT have to be from a recording done on YOUR tivo, just a valid one, e.g., obtained from a recording on a different tivo box.

3. If you don't have seriesTitle items in your metadata files, the folder name containing the video on your pc will be used for the Title (the top one in large letters on the first info page). The group name shown in the NPL however will be the matching series title for the seriesId you specified -- even though your metadata file does not contain this information. I suspect the tivo actually goes out on the network to get this, or it maintains a complete local database, which is probably feasible.

Anybody have anything to add to (or dispute) this?

This cannot be exactly right as I tried using wgw's example of 'SH897934 is for show called "HitList"' as meta data for a couple recordings and it would not work. Hitlist does not appear in my guide data. Chose a program from my guide data and recorded it and used its series id and then the recordings grouped using that series id and seriestitle. Changing seriesTitle to something else with a valid seriesId just results in the recording not being placed in the group.

I think the seriesId and SeriesTitle you use must appear in your available guide data OR have been recorded by your tivo at some point. IE it must be known to your Tivo. Other than the guide data itself, I do not think there is some master list out on the network or in the tivo.

So I guess we can choose group folder names from any of the available program titles we see in the guide data but cannot make up our own. At least for now.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #1099
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Quick queston,

What is the format for originalAirDate ?

My line:

originalAirDate : 2006

seems to have no effect (its for a movie if it matters) Could someone please show me the correct syntax? Thanks!
It's some kind of standard time/date format (iso?). Anyway here is an example taken from a tivoDecode xml chunk:

2007-07-06T01:00:00Z

The Z means zulu (coordinated universal time, formerly known as GMT).

For a case like a movie where you don't know or care about anything but the year, just fill in the rest with placeholders, e.g.:

2007-06-01T01:00:00Z

Note all the chars that look like 0 are zeros.

This zulu time often is automatically converted to your local time, so that's why I would choose something other than 1 January at 00:00:00 -- this would logically be converted to the previous year!

ps: did you see the pm I sent you?

and
Old 11-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #1100
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Okay, I'm trying out the latest version because the folder naming/meta data stuff sounds very neat. If I grab the very latest zip off of armoo.net: http://armooo.net/~armooo/pyTivo/dow...dfa1a2a891.zip, and copy it over my current Tivo, and try to remove the service or reinstall the service, I get the following error message:

Quote:
C:\Program Files\pyTivo>pyTivoService.py remove
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivoService.py", line 1, in <module>
import beacon, httpserver
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\beacon.py", line 3, in <module>
import config
ImportError: No module named config
However, if I grab the 208 zip off of armoo.net, I can copy it over my current pyTivo directory, remove and reinstall the service, and it appears to be running. (I see it on the Tivo - I didn't try transferring something, since I'd like to get the auto-meta data version, which I'm assuming is one of the Nov 22 zips...)
Old 11-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #1101
dsliu88

pytivo and real media files

Has anyone succeed in streaming real media files? Although the *.rm files show up in the directory list, converting seems not to be working. Just want to make sure it's not my configuration is wrong.

Thanks.
dsliu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #1102
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
Okay, I'm trying out the latest version because the folder naming/meta data stuff sounds very neat. If I grab the very latest zip off of armoo.net: http://armooo.net/~armooo/pyTivo/dow...dfa1a2a891.zip, and copy it over my current Tivo, and try to remove the service or reinstall the service, I get the following error message:

However, if I grab the 208 zip off of armoo.net, I can copy it over my current pyTivo directory, remove and reinstall the service, and it appears to be running. (I see it on the Tivo - I didn't try transferring something, since I'd like to get the auto-meta data version, which I'm assuming is one of the Nov 22 zips...)
Okay, I found my own problem here. For some reason, the Config.py file is now config.py, and when I copy the new version onto my old directory, Windows replaces the file, but since it is "case aware", but not "case sensitive", it doesn't change the case. I changed the name of the file, and now the service will run.

However: It seems to have a more serious version of the folders problem than I've ever seen before. The first sub-folder I enter becomes the listing for any other sub-folder, and the earlier work-arounds have no affect. (can't enter and leave trash, or enter and leave kid zone to fix it)

(It is using folder names for Series names I think)
Old 11-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #1103
lraesly

Working hard on getting the metadata to work.

Downloaded the latest release on the website (pyTivo-2007-11-22-master-143ca8f0247571c5bba427e9b1c652dfa1a2a891.zip - assume this is the latest/greatest!). Server went up like a charm...

I have a test file with this data:

isEpisode : False
description : (1982) Oddball cop and tough guy, Jack Cates is the only survivor of a cop shooting and in hunting down the murderer collects Reggie Hammond from jail for 48 hours. Hammond is oddly motivated to help. The killer is searching for his stash of cash. Cates and Hammond who have the Black-white, cop-crook thing to work out make surprisingly good partners as they navigate through the city looking for their suspect. Raing: 6.8 (14,280 votes). Rated R.
title : 48 Hours
vExecProducer : Paramount
originalAirDate : 1982-01-01T01:00:00Z
seriesTitle : 48 Hours
vActor : Nick Nolte
vActor : Eddie Murphy
vActor : Annette O'Toole
vActor : Frank McRae
vActor : James Remar
vActor : David Patrick Kelly
vActor : Sonny Landham
vActor : Brion James
vActor : Kerry Sherman
vActor : Jonathan Banks
vActor : James Keane
vActor : Tara King
vActor : Greta Blackburn
vActor : Margot Rose
vActor : Denise Crosby
vSeriesGenre : Action
vDirector : Walter Hill
vProgramGenre : Action
vWriter : Roger Spottiswoode, Walter Hill

However, the only tags that are getting pulled are the description and title. Have I missed something?

I've written an export script that creates this from DVDPedia. Nice program...

Anyway, thoughts on why it won't parse the data?

Best,

Lee
lraesly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #1104
lraesly

More meta data mettle needed

Downloaded the latest release on the website (pyTivo-2007-11-22-master-143ca8f0247571c5bba427e9b1c652dfa1a2a891.zip - assume this is the latest/greatest!). Server went up like a charm...

description : (1982) Oddball cop and tough guy, Jack Cates is the only survivor of a cop shooting and in hunting down the murderer collects Reggie Hammond from jail for 48 hours. Hammond is oddly motivated to help. The killer is searching for his stash of cash. Cates and Hammond who have the Black-white, cop-crook thing to work out make surprisingly good partners as they navigate through the city looking for their suspect. Raing: 6.8 (14,280 votes). Rated R.

However, the only tags that are getting pulled are the description and title. Have I missed something?

Best,

Lee
lraesly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #1105
TreborPugly
Unreal!

So the 8.3 subfolders fix is still a branch, and needs to have it's own version of the source code each time? (I realized that there is a 11/18 version with subfolders-8.3 in it's name, but not an 11/22 version with subfolders-8.3 in it's name)

I've tried using the wiki to generate some diffs to see what I need to retain for the 8.3 fix, but using the wiki to get diffs does not appear to work.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #1106
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraesly View Post

Best,

Lee
The only problem is the upper case F in
You can use "false" or "true" here and all is OK in the tivo display screens, although obviously false is the correct value.
I learned this by trial and error starting with your original text. I had a clue from the fact that true/false values in the TivoDecode chunks are always lowercase.
Touchy isn't it!

@armooo: maybe force this to lower case when it's read in to the program?

and
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #1107
dlfl
Cranky old novice

... up the flagpole

Would anyone be interested in a little utility program that generates pyTivo metadata files from .TiVo files? The bits and pieces for this are already working in TVAP so it wouldn't be hard to do. Probably would have a small GUI with just a file browser to select files to process.

and
Old 11-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #1108
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly View Post
So the 8.3 subfolders fix is still a branch, and needs to have it's own version of the source code each time? (I realized that there is a 11/18 version with subfolders-8.3 in it's name, but not an 11/22 version with subfolders-8.3 in it's name)

I've tried using the wiki to generate some diffs to see what I need to retain for the 8.3 fix, but using the wiki to get diffs does not appear to work.
Most of the changes in the 8.3 branch are KRKeegan's. I kept them in the branch because I have always been able to crash my tivo with them, and because it is a bug ugly mess. But I was able to merge master on to the 8.3 branch and it seems to be working. So you should be able to have all the new toys now and still have the working subfolders.

I have not been using the 8.3 branch, I just setup a share for each folder. And now I was using the auto_subshares option to create them for me. But I hope this works out for you.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 AM   #1109
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
The only problem is the upper case F in
You can use "false" or "true" here and all is OK in the tivo display screens, although obviously false is the correct value.
I learned this by trial and error starting with your original text. I had a clue from the fact that true/false values in the TivoDecode chunks are always lowercase.
Touchy isn't it!

@armooo: maybe force this to lower case when it's read in to the program?
It looks like the tivo validates the xml against the XSDs and if is not valid it will not use it. It is to bad we don't have access to the XSDs.

But I should be able to clean up the input a bit in the VideoDetails. I also still need to get the rating, color mode and show type working. Hopefully the rating will work with the kids zone for TreborPugly.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #1110
wgw

Quote:
Would anyone be interested in a little utility program that generates pyTivo metadata files from .TiVo files? The bits and pieces for this are already working in TVAP so it wouldn't be hard to do. Probably would have a small GUI with just a file browser to select files to process.
+1. Thanks, that would be great!
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote