TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #721
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar
as do mine.

those having issues need to make sure that this section:

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
#aspect169=true

is commented out in your Pytivo config file.
I have mine set to

aspect169=false

which is probably the same as commenting it out.

TiVo Premiere w/WD20EARS 2TB Internal (317 hours HD recording using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!)

Are you a Walt Disney World fan?
Check out the award winning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BigT4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #722
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Sorry I have not been checking the forum much. Work has been very busy. And I have not been having problems on my 240 S2.

The problems with the the video being black sounds like a bug that was happing sending 16:9 videos to some 540 and 649 tivos in the past. Currently there is a BLACKLIST_169 constant in Config.py.

You can also try theaspect169=false option, but it must be in a per tivo config block.

[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]
aspect169=false

This option will pad the top and bottom of the file with black and send a 4:3 video, otherwise it sends a 16:9 video and the tivo creates the black bars.

As for crashes with the subfolders version, I have been able to crash my tivo with it even on 8.3. That is why I did not merge the changes in to the trunk. It seems like I had the best luck with it when I moved around slowly. And sounds like after the reboot the tivo makes valid request (at least for the first subfolder you enter) and the is why it works.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #723
Airey001

I was able to to place a hack in the transcode.py file to get pyTivo semi working with Tivo OS 9.1 and 16:9 videos.

Basically I went updated all the aspect calls from 16:9 to 4:3 in the file. This is forcing the aspect to be stated as 4:3 instead of 16:9.

I am not seeing any differences in the video the tivo displays. My Tivo is displaying it full screen and there are no black bars as when i have 16:9 turned off in pyTivo.

I got this idea when from Dave Zatz site: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/gtt.htm

I use to follow his tutorial for ripping DVDs to a hard drive to share with galleon. Basicly it would rip a single vob file and have you rename it to mpg. The issue with some videos with 16:9 aspect caused video issues (Screen would be extremely scrambled) To correct these files you would need to patch the header of the video file to report 4:3 with a program called DVD Patcher and then they would displayed fine.

That was before I found DVD::RIP for Linux!

Any way like I said this is a Hack, So far I haven't noticed any issue and I am able to watch 16:9 videos without the padding black bars.

Server with
and
services

I am really missing Tivo OS 8.1 right now. Most stuff worked with it!
Airey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #724
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airey001
I was able to to place a hack in the transcode.py file to get pyTivo semi working with Tivo OS 9.1 and 16:9 videos.

Basically I went updated all the aspect calls from 16:9 to 4:3 in the file. This is forcing the aspect to be stated as 4:3 instead of 16:9.
Could someone possibly post a copy of this updated and working transcode.py file?

I'm afraid I'll screw something up if I try it myself.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #725
caddywhompus

First of all, BRAVO. I love this software, and so far you all deserve a pat on the back for coming up with it. Fantastic.

However, I do have a couple bugs to report, hoping for a solution.

First, my PC specs.
Dell E521 computer
Athlon 5600 x2 64 bit CPU
4GB of ram
Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
Rock solid stable machine, no known bugs, quirks or crashes.

Now, the first time I installed PyTivo, I went to the Python website and downloaded the 64 bit version of Python for my machine. It installed correctly, no problems. However, when I downloaded and installed PyTivo, it informed me it needed Pywindows32 (or something like that) and downloaded it for me inside the setup program. When it installed, it located my 64bit version of Python but then returned an error message saying it was unable to use that environment. After completing the install, PyTivo didn't work. I removed it, and installed the 32-bit version of Python, now everything works great. Question is, would there be any benefit to running 64-bit Python (I'm assuming more efficient transcoding?) and if so, can we work together to debug it and get it working?

Second issue. When browsing the folders on my Tivo (I have 3 setup in PyTivo), I note that I can only browse 1 folder deep, after that I Tivo just keeps refreshing the same display when i try to drill down into subfolders. So far my workaround for this has been to temporarily move videos I want to watch on Tivo into the first level folder, which works perfectly.

Let me know what other help I can provide, if there's any logs etc. I'd be happy to get them up.
caddywhompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #726
buffalova

Quote:
Second issue. When browsing the folders on my Tivo (I have 3 setup in PyTivo), I note that I can only browse 1 folder deep, after that I Tivo just keeps refreshing the same display when i try to drill down into subfolders. So far my workaround for this has been to temporarily move videos I want to watch on Tivo into the first level folder, which works perfectly.
I can't help you with the 64-bit question but make sure you have the pytivo-subfolders-8.3-198.zip version. Just download unzip and copy and paste into you pytivo directory. I had the same problem until I installed that version from this link. Also as a side note I setup the drive letter i.e. M: as a share and that way I don't need to list each folder separately although it could slow down a bit. Hope this helps.

http://armooo.net/~armooo/pyTivo/downloads/
buffalova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #727
MisterWho

pytivo and doppler rss aggregator

I've got pytivo up and running displaying my shares. However, I am having trouble viewing those folders and their files in the share that houses doppler retrieved videocasts. It appears that the problem is that the directory into which doppler deposits its downloads (in separate folders per feed) also houses dopplers config files.

I believe it is these files which cause the problem as when they are removed, pytivo displays the folders and their videocast files as it should.

How can I configure pytivo to ignore these files as it appears you cannot tell doppler to place them anywhere else but the download folder for all its feeds.

Thanks,

MrW
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #728
MickeS

Quote:

I am not seeing any differences in the video the tivo displays. My Tivo is displaying it full screen and there are no black bars as when i have 16:9 turned off in pyTivo.
I don't see how changing all the calls to force 4:3 is any different than having Config.get169Setting(tsn) return false?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #729
Chew

I wasn't sure I would be able to update transcode.py properly, thus my previous request.

But, I did attempt it when getting home from work and must of done it right.

16x9 videos are now working for me.

Thanks Airey001 for the workaround!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #730
Airey001

Smile

Here is my version of the transcode.py file.

Now there are 2 HACKs in this file.

The first HACK is for videos with a res of 720x480. Since 720x480 can be either 4:3 or 16:9 pytivo pads them and marks them 4:3. This will HACK forces them though without any padding and as if they where 16:9. (Well 4.3 now with the second Hack).

Second Hack is the for the blank 16:9 video files caused by Tivo OS update 9.1. When the pytivo would normally send the file with aspect of 16:9 this will send it as 4:3.
Attached Files
File Type: zip transcode.py.zip (3.4 KB, 42 views)

Server with
and
services

Old 10-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #731
Airey001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
I don't see how changing all the calls to force 4:3 is any different than having Config.get169Setting(tsn) return false?

The reason this is different is if you force this setting in the config file, there is a very good chance when pytivo goes to convert your video it will add padding (Black Bars - Top and bottom and/or Left Right) as it attempts to make the video 4:3 format.

Server with
and
services

Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #732
Chew

Quote:
Here is my version of the transcode.py file.

Now there are 2 HACKs in this file.

The first HACK is for videos with a res of 720x480. Since 720x480 can be either 4:3 or 16:9 pytivo pads them and marks them 4:3. This will HACK forces them though without any padding and as if they where 16:9. (Well 4.3 now with the second Hack).

Second Hack is the for the blank 16:9 video files caused by Tivo OS update 9.1. When the pytivo would normally send the file with aspect of 16:9 this will send it as 4:3.
Thanks for this.

Even though I got it to work, I'm going to replace mine with somebody who really knows what they're doing.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #733
MickeS

Note

Quote:
The reason this is different is if you force this setting in the config file, there is a very good chance when pytivo goes to convert your video it will add padding (Black Bars - Top and bottom and/or Left Right) as it attempts to make the video 4:3 format.
Gotcha! What I missed when I looked at the code briefly were the multiplier16by9 and multiplier4by3 variables.

I created a more general version of this, where all you need to do is change the 169 flag to false, and it will output a 4:3 version of any file with AR 1.36 and up, it's not a special version for 9.1. I think it should cover all cases at least, but who knows.

All I added was this in the "else" part of the "if (aspect169) and (ratio > 135)" statement:

if (ratio > 135): #if this is a widescreen image being output at 4:3
endHeight = int(((TIVO_WIDTH*height)/width) * multiplier16by9)
else:
endHeight = int(((TIVO_WIDTH*height)/width) * multiplier4by3)

Seems to do it, or did I overlook something?

EDIT: I guess that screws up 16:9 on 4:3 TV's? Ah, who cares, I don't have a 4:3 TV anyway...

Last edited by MickeS : 10-16-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #734
caddywhompus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalova
I can't help you with the 64-bit question but make sure you have the pytivo-subfolders-8.3-198.zip version. Just download unzip and copy and paste into you pytivo directory. I had the same problem until I installed that version from this link. Also as a side note I setup the drive letter i.e. M: as a share and that way I don't need to list each folder separately although it could slow down a bit. Hope this helps.

http://armooo.net/~armooo/pyTivo/downloads/
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I downloaded and updated my version exactly as described. The problem does seem to be better, but not solved. If I try to go more than 2 levels deep into the folder structure, Tivo just keeps showing me the same contents. What's worse, is that sometimes when it does that even if I back all the way out of the share, and go into a different one I still see the same stuck contents from the previous share. Does that make sense?

For example, I have two shares setup. One called "TV Videos" and one called "Movies". Inside the "TV Videos" folder I have subfolders for each TV series, and sometimes even another subfolder for season. Generally I can drill down to the series subfolder, but not to the season. If Tivo gets stuck showing me the contents of the series subfolder, then I can back all the way out and go into a completely different share "Movies" and Tivo will display the "series" subfolder from the "TV Videos" share.

I have read that sometimes selecting a show from the Now Playing list, then going back to the share corrects the problem. It seems that does work most of the time. The couple times it didn't, I went to live TV and then back into the Now Playing list and THAT corrected the issue.

This is a minor bug, and I've worked around it by creating shares for each subfolder rather than just the two mentioned above. Yeah, that means I've got like 15 shares showing up in Now Playing, but it works.

I'll keep monitoring this thread for updates.

Thanks!
caddywhompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #735
buffalova

[quote]Originally Posted by caddywhompus
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I downloaded and updated my version exactly as described. The problem does seem to be better, but not solved. If I try to go more than 2 levels deep into the folder structure, Tivo just keeps showing me the same contents. What's worse, is that sometimes when it does that even if I back all the way out of the share, and go into a different one I still see the same stuck contents from the previous share. Does that make sense?

For example, I have two shares setup. One called "TV Videos" and one called "Movies". Inside the "TV Videos" folder I have subfolders for each TV series, and sometimes even another subfolder for season. Generally I can drill down to the series subfolder, but not to the season. If Tivo gets stuck showing me the contents of the series subfolder, then I can back all the way out and go into a completely different share "Movies" and Tivo will display the "series" subfolder from the "TV Videos" share.[quote]

Looking back after I posted I realized I use version pytivo-subfolders-8.3-200.zip not 198.zip. Not sure if this will help but worth a try. I also am never able to go back once I am in a share's folder. After selecting 1 file to transfer I hit the now playing button and then scroll down and select the share find the next file etc etc....
buffalova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #736
WelshSage

Lightbulb Run pyTivo at login on a Mac

I wanted to run pyTivo at login on my Mac, and after a couple hours of trial and error I finally found a way to do so. I will outline the steps I took below.

First we will create an "agent" that will start up pyTivo when you log into your user account. The easiest way to create an agent if you are not UNIX savvy is to use the free utility Lingon. Download it from MacUpdate.

Launch Lingon and click on the "Assistant" button. Make sure "Run a job at startup" is selected and click "Next." Then type the label for this agent in the label box. Mine was "com.myname.pyTivo." Make sure "Launch only when I log in is selected" and click "Next."

Now, the following step assumes that you have performed a default install of Python 2.5 and that pyTivo.py is in your "/usr/local/bin/pyTivo" directory. In the job box type, "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin /usr/local/bin/pyTivo/pyTivo.py" Now click "Create"

Now, pyTivo will load at login!
WelshSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #737
johnkfisher

Quote:
As for crashes with the subfolders version, I have been able to crash my tivo with it even on 8.3. That is why I did not merge the changes in to the trunk. It seems like I had the best luck with it when I moved around slowly. And sounds like after the reboot the tivo makes valid request (at least for the first subfolder you enter) and the is why it works.
Well, haven't had any crashes with subfolders for a LONG time, once I upgraded to your subfolder fork, but now, with 9.1, happening CONSTANTLY again, so clearly this is far more than bad luck or not moving slow enough. I hope this is fixed soon. It runs on my parents' comp hours away from me, and I'll have to drive down there just to troubleshoot this for them.
johnkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #738
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkfisher
Well, haven't had any crashes with subfolders for a LONG time, once I upgraded to your subfolder fork, but now, with 9.1, happening CONSTANTLY again, so clearly this is far more than bad luck or not moving slow enough. I hope this is fixed soon. It runs on my parents' comp hours away from me, and I'll have to drive down there just to troubleshoot this for them.
This isn't a bug fix, but I've been avoiding crashes by always going back to the TiVo menu and then into the Now Playing list, after I start transferring a program, rather than just watching it there. The folders bugs seem to be much worse when you come out of watching your recording back into the folder. But if you skip out to the Tivo menu, and use the Now Playing list to find your show once it is already transferring, it doesn't crash on me the next time I go into the folders.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #739
cr33p

Has anyone confirmed that PyTivo is working with MRV & TTG being enabled on all S3 units???
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #740
Narf54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
Has anyone confirmed that PyTivo is working with MRV & TTG being enabled on all S3 units???
I got one show to begin transfer, but then the S3 went into super-slow response and eventually rebooted. Upon rebooting, pyTivo restarted the transfer... it seems to complete this time, but once again the S3 rebooted.

The movie is in the Now Playing list and playable, but the reboots make me nervous.

disclaimer: my S3 is apparently still running v9.1 system software.
Narf54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #741
kunikos
MOAR HD

I'm interested whether HD resolution content from the PC can be streamed to the S3 or HD TiVo now or not.

Also, I've noticed that there seems to be a synchronization issue with the audio of streamed programs if you begin playback on the TiVo (S2) prior to finishing transfer from the PC.
kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #742
cr33p

Pony stated that TTCB HD is not supported at this time.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #743
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narf54321
I got one show to begin transfer, but then the S3 went into super-slow response and eventually rebooted. Upon rebooting, pyTivo restarted the transfer... it seems to complete this time, but once again the S3 rebooted.

The movie is in the Now Playing list and playable, but the reboots make me nervous.

disclaimer: my S3 is apparently still running v9.1 system software.
I have 9.2 and will post my results on my Tivo HD later tanite
Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #744
MickeS

9.2 and pyTiVo worked fine with my Series 3. Only SD content though. And the aspect ratio bug is still there (fix for it mentioned above, but still...).
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #745
neutral

I've installed pyTivo on NetBSD using python 2.4 and ffmpeg from pkgsrc.

I can see the NPL, and some of the videos will transcode, albeit slow.

A lot of the videos will error out,

Unsupported codec

What gives?

edit: I should mention, these exact videos have no problem transcoiding on Tivo.Net
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #746
mattm29
Seattle TiVo stud!

any ideas on this error message?

It's on Mac OS X ---

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pyTivo.py", line 15, in ?
settings.update(config.items(section))
AttributeError: keys
Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #747
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm29
the key "section" is not found in the Dictionary config.items
Most likely the settings file has a missing group of data or a typo that is preventing the config object from getting all the information needed from the file. Look in the settings file and see if you see anything obviously wrong with it.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #748
mattm29
Seattle TiVo stud!

Ok, so I trimmed down the configuration file to just this:

[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=/opt/local/bin/ffmpeg
[MyMovies]
type=video
path=/Users/mattseattle/TiVoShows

and now when I do 'python pyTivo.py' it just sits there.

grrrrr - any help is appreciated!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #749
kangolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm29
any ideas on this error message?

It's on Mac OS X ---

You need to be running under python 2.5, then launch using
python2.5 pyTivo.py

If you need to install python 2.5 there's an OS X installer available from http://www.python.org/download/
kangolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #750
kangolo

I'm running a newly enabled S3, with pyTivo running from a mac (under python 2.5, and ports-compiled lame & ffmpeg).

Whenever I browse through the folders on my shares I see the same file each time.

The first folder's contents I viewed appears on all subsequent folder views, whether the newly selected folder has files in there or not.
This still happened even after stopping the download, and restarting pyTivo.

I got it to reset by restarting the tivo, but it's doing the same thing (with a new file - against the first I viewed) after the restart.

I checked the xml being returned (pasted the relative url into the browser) - and it isn't repeating the same file - it appears valid:

Stuff that isn't in a folder (but has to be scrolled way down to get to) is fine.

Any ideas? I think this may be tivo's end - unless pyTivo's folder responses need modification to identify them as unique.

Update:

It looks like the tivo is sending two requests, one for the new folder, followed immediately by a request for the initial folder (that it keeps re-showing).

You can force it to update itself but viewing the detals of an entry and using the PageUp/Down keys.
When you return to the folder's contents it will update with the correct contents.

If you do this in an empty folder you're stuck, no way to -re-sync

- Chris

Last edited by kangolo : 10-23-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Clarify
kangolo is offline   Reply With Quote