TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #661
Tobashadow

The by far easiest is to combine the one you want to the video file.

Here's a freebie tool.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...e_Workshop.htm
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #662
mrgreen4242

Great software - works like a charm on my new iMac; took a bit to get it all up and running, but it's extremely effective. I have one feature request/suggestion, though. It would be "neat" if there was a way to select a quality level when you pick the file on the TiVo. If you could store two sets of config settings in the config file, one for a low qual and one for high and then choose which profile you were going to use to transcode and stream that file at the time you select it from the TiVo it would be helpful for a couple groups of people...

First, those with slower computers might want the option to get something to he TiVo with a profile that transcodes in realtime for them, while also easily having the option to "sync" a movie to the TiVo in slower than realtime for later viewing in high quality. Secondly, the same situation may apply to someone who connects to their TiVo wirelessly and so are limited in how much data they can move to the TiVo in realtime.

I was thinking that maybe presenting the choice to the TiVo as if it was a choice between folders. Both would lead to the same place on the host computer, but would simply set a flag for the script to use one of two (or more, I suppose) transcode profiles.

I'd implement this myself, but I don't know Python so it'd be a bit up hill for me... hoping it's easy for someone who already knows the language and the script. If not I'll try to set aside some time to learn Python (looks easy enough) and do it... either way, it's a fantastic piece of work, thank you for offering it up as open source!
mrgreen4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #663
windracer
joined the 10k club

I wonder if you could achieve something like you are describing by running two separate pyTiVo processes: each with a different config file with the two different quality settings, but pointing at the same videos folder. Then you'd have two entries in your NPL (low quality pyTiVo, high quality pyTiVo).

Obviously this might put a larger load on the server and not be necessarily intuitive on the TiVo interface side, but it might work without any coding changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #664
bilbrelb

Does pytivo support MPG files (mpeg2)? I can see .Tivo files just fine on my server but it doesn't any of my mpg-2 files in the play list. I looked around and couldn't find answer. I've read where it says "tivo compatible mpeg-2". What does that mean?

I assume ffmpeg has to be able to decode it and it should worK?

Thanks

Last edited by bilbrelb : 09-28-2007 at 06:21 PM.
bilbrelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #665
mrgreen4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I wonder if you could achieve something like you are describing by running two separate pyTiVo processes: each with a different config file with the two different quality settings, but pointing at the same videos folder. Then you'd have two entries in your NPL (low quality pyTiVo, high quality pyTiVo).

Obviously this might put a larger load on the server and not be necessarily intuitive on the TiVo interface side, but it might work without any coding changes.
That's a really great idea. The PyTivo script itself uses almost no resources when it's not in use and since when it would only be used while you're actively transferring a video there wouldn't be much of an issue. I'll have to try it out.

Thanks for the suggestion!
mrgreen4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #666
johnkfisher

Does anyone know if this works with the new 9.1 software?
johnkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #667
qwik3r

Can someone please tell me what to unblock so that the windows firewall will allow pytivo?

Last edited by qwik3r : 10-02-2007 at 10:23 PM.
qwik3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #668
hardax

Trying to get pyTivo running on Mac OS X without much success I'm afraid and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Using the most recent python (2.5.1) and ffmpeg from the Trac instructions site.

I have used pyTivo on a PC in the past so I am pretty sure I have my config file set up properly.

Tried this on two different Macs. On my G4 tower every time I run the command "python pytivo.py" I get an error in the Terminal window stating "AttributeError = keys".

On my Mac Pro (Intel), I seem to be able to get pyTivo running (no errors in the terminal window - typing 127.0 etc in a browser window returns the "this is a pyTivo server" message). But when putting a video in the hot folder nothing show's up on my Tivo.

Note really sure how or where to start trouble shooting.
hardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #669
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwik3r
Can someone please tell me what to unblock so that the windows firewall will allow pytivo?
The default is 9032. Check your pyTivo.conf file, you can change this under the [server] section.

|
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #670
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkfisher
Has anyone had a chance to try pyTivo with 9.1 software?

TiVo Premiere w/WD20EARS 2TB Internal (317 hours HD recording using
!)

Are you a Walt Disney World fan?
Check out the award winning
BigT4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #671
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT4187
Has anyone had a chance to try pyTivo with 9.1 software?
I have the 9.1 software.

Two different vodcasts I transfered over today (which have both worked fine in the past) resulted in a black screen, but fine audio.

So, I'm guessing an update might be needed.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #672
BeeEff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkfisher
Seems to be working for me OK, but it certainly made Tivo cranky for a bit. I was pretty surprised at how fast the new update was making Tivo react, with pretty much no delay between hitting a button and the machine executing the command.

The first few minutes of transferring a video after the update made me think the tivo was going to freeze, or crash. Became unresponsive for ten to 15 seconds at a time when trying to do anything at all during the transfer. (I was watching live tv, and couldn't ff or rewind, go to Now Playing...) Problem disappeared after a few minutes, and the transfer went on as usual.

Overall, not the smoothest software interaction, but it got the job done for me.

Software version 9.1.01-2-590
BeeEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #673
ZICRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew
I have the 9.1 software.

Two different vodcasts I transfered over today (which have both worked fine in the past) resulted in a black screen, but fine audio.

So, tytivo is not working for you, but tivo.net is?

What bit rate are you using with the tivo.net.

The bitrate I was using that is not working is 9000.
ZICRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #674
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZICRON
So, tytivo is not working for you, but tivo.net is?

What bit rate are you using with the tivo.net.

The bitrate I was using that is not working is 9000.
I have never used TiVo.net and didn't say I had or that it worked?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #675
windracer
joined the 10k club

My S2 just rebooted into 9.1 tonight. I tested two separate transfers with pyTiVo and had no problems (audio was present and in-sync).

|
Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #676
Chew

Quote:
My S2 just rebooted into 9.1 tonight. I tested two separate transfers with pyTiVo and had no problems (audio was present and in-sync).
I see from the TiVo.net thread, this could possibly be because of the bitrate. With 9.1 laying the groundwork for the S3 and TTG, I guess that makes sense.

What do you have your bitrate set to? Mine is whatever it defaults to.

Edit: If I did it correctly, I updated my .conf file to 8mb. It still doesn't work.

The only line I added was video_br, is this correct?

Quote:
[Server]
guid = {FFF037AE-7B5F-453C-AE01-C6A3C311D14D}
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
video_br = 8Mi
width = 544
port = 9032

Last edited by Chew : 10-03-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #677
ocntscha

Quote:
Ok, but now for the big question. Did Tivo finally fix things so that navigating up and down in the directory structure served out from pytivo works properly? Remember, 8.1a has the little glitch where sometimes you have to go into and out of deleted items (or some similiar trick) to get back to the root Now Playing menu. Then 8.3 came out and apparently navigating in and out of folders served from pytivo got really messy because of bugs in version 8.3. http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/8.3Software

KRkeegan struggled mightily and came up with a version of pytivo that mostly worked around the bugs, but there was only so much he could do trying to remedy the situation from the server side (pytivo) when the real bugs are in the client side (8.3 software).

Way back when 8.3 came out KRkeegan had contacted Tivo about the bugs in the 8.3 software with folder navigation. Hopefully those navigation bugs have been fixed in the new 9.1 software. Anyone know?
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #678
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't think I've ever changed the bitrate. My video_br line is commented out, so I'm using the default.

|
Old 10-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #679
Chew

What else could it be that pyTiVo works for some and not for others after the update?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #680
Stu_Bee

pyTivo is still working for me on 9.1. (Default bitrate)

However, if I watch the video via "Watch Now" (rather than reselecting the transferred show in the Now playing list)......when it gets to the end of the show (delete/keep option appears) my Tivo reboots.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #681
MacBrian

Quote:
I have the 9.1 software.

Two different vodcasts I transfered over today (which have both worked fine in the past) resulted in a black video screen, but the audio was present and OK.

Ditto. My Humax DRT-800 received the Fall 2007 update and now none of the video podcasts I've transferred successfully in the past have a video signal. Audio is there and is fine, but the video is black.

I wonder if the Humax and/or the other DVD Tivos are affected while a regular Series2 isn't?

I've never adjusted the bitrate. Anyone?

--Brian
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #682
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoBrian

Ditto. My Humax DRT-800 received the Fall 2007 update and now none of the video podcasts I've transferred successfully in the past have a video signal. Audio is there and is fine, but the video is black.

I wonder if the Humax and/or the other DVD Tivos are affected while a regular Series2 isn't?

--Brian
You might have something there. I also have a DVD TiVo (it's a Toshiba).
Old 10-04-2007, 04:51 AM   #683
Chew

Another update: This morning I transfered WebbAlert, Ask a Ninja, and Geekbrief.

WebbAlert and Ask a Ninja worked, Geekbrief did not.

Knowing this, it appears 4x3 content is working for me and 16x9 is not.

Last edited by Chew : 10-04-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #684
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
You might have something there. I also have a DVD TiVo (it's a Toshiba).
I haven't tried on my TX20 yet since it doesn't have 9.1.

My only other difference is I'm running pyTivo on Linux.

|
Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #685
jessenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoBrian

--Brian
I'm in the same boat but with an S2. I have the video playing the sound just fine but the picture is missing, so I think that S2's are also broken too. BTW - I'm transcoding at 1000kbps with 128k audio.
jessenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #686
MT-Hand

No Joy with pyTivo on the Mac for me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardax
Trying to get pyTivo running on Mac OS X without much success I'm afraid and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Using the most recent python (2.5.1) and ffmpeg from the Trac instructions site.

Note really sure how or where to start trouble shooting.
I've been trying off and on to get pyTivo working on my Mac since March, and still haven't gotten there yet. I've updated to Python 2.5.1, Downloaded A@ron's compile of ffmpeg for Mac OSX from the pyTivo Wiki site, and "attempted" to use the "roll-your-own with MacPorts" method (no luck there).

Like many others I get the "containers" to show up on the Tivo's NPL, but no list of files -- just the message that the list of files cannot be shown due to an "unknown error".

Here's what I get in the Terminal window:
Code:
Last login: Sat Oct  6 20:25:36 on ttyp2
cd /Volumes/BigDog/Users/mtmiles/Downloads/-\ Media\ Tools/MissingMediaBurner.app/Contents/Resources/bin
./cdrecord -checkdrive dev=IOCompactDiscServices/2 ; ./cdrecord -prcap dev=IOCompactDiscServices/2
Welcome to Darwin!
[miMac:~] mtmiles% cd /Volumes/BigDog/Users/mtmiles/Downloads/-\ Media\ Tools/MissingMediaBurner.app/Contents/Resources/bin
tcsh: /Volumes/BigDog/Users/mtmiles/Downloads/- Media Tools/MissingMediaBurner.app/Contents/Resources/bin: No such file or directory.
[miMac:~] mtmiles% ./cdrecord -checkdrive dev=IOCompactDiscServices/2 ; ./cdrecord -prcap dev=IOCompactDiscServices/2
tcsh: ./cdrecord: Command not found.
tcsh: ./cdrecord: Command not found.
[miMac:~] mtmiles% cd /Applications/pyTivo/ 
[miMac:/Applications/pyTivo] mtmiles% python pyTivo.py
/Applications/pyTivo/Cheetah/Compiler.py:1508: UserWarning: 
You don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! I'm disabling Cheetah's useStackFrames option as it is painfully slow with the Python version of NameMapper. You should get a copy of Cheetah with the compiled C version of NameMapper.
  "\nYou don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! "
192.168.2.3 - - [06/Oct/2007 20:33:38] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
=========================================================================
Tivo said: pyTivoDownloads || Hack said: pyTivoDownloads
192.168.2.3 - - [06/Oct/2007 20:33:41] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=pyTivoDownloads&SortOrder=!CaptureDate&ItemCount=8&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.3', 2988)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 464, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 522, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "/Applications/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 78, in do_GET
    method(self, query)
  File "/Applications/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 264, in QueryContainer
    t.files, t.total, t.start = self.get_files(handler, query, VideoFileFilter)
  File "/Applications/pyTivo/plugin.py", line 52, in get_files
    files = filter(filterFunction, files)
  File "/Applications/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 258, in VideoFileFilter
    return transcode.suported_format(full_path)
  File "/Applications/pyTivo/plugins/video/transcode.py", line 295, in suported_format
    if video_info(inFile)[0]:
  File "/Applications/pyTivo/plugins/video/transcode.py", line 225, in video_info
    ffmpeg = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 593, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 1079, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error
----------------------------------------
192.168.2.3 - - [06/Oct/2007 20:33:47] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
192.168.2.3 - - [06/Oct/2007 20:33:54] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
And this is what the "Debug.txt" log contains:
Code:
Video.py -  Hack83 is enabled.
Video.py -  Hack new request ------------------------ 
Video.py -  Hack TiVo request is: 
 {'Container': ['pyTivoDownloads'], 'Command': ['QueryContainer']} 
Video.py -  Hack this was not a TiVo request. 
 {'Filter': ['x-tivo-container/tivo-videos,x-tivo-container/folder,video/x-tivo-mpeg,video/*'], 'Container': ['pyTivoDownloads'], 'ItemCount': ['8'], 'Command': ['QueryContainer'], 'SortOrder': ['!CaptureDate']} 
Video.py -  New TSN. 
Video.py -  Hack our saved request is: 
 {'Filter': ['x-tivo-container/tivo-videos,x-tivo-container/folder,video/x-tivo-mpeg,video/*'], 'Container': ['pyTivoDownloads'], 'ItemCount': ['8'], 'Command': ['QueryContainer'], 'SortOrder': ['!CaptureDate']} 
Video.py -  Hack we are at the root. Saving query, Clearing state[page]. 
Video.py -  Hack Tivo said:  pyTivoDownloads  || Hack said:  pyTivoDownloads 
Video.py -  New TSN. 
Video.py -  New TSN. 
If anybody has a suggestion where to look next, I'd appreciate it.

Todd

13" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
OS X 10.6.4
Galleon 2.5.5
iTiVo + pyTiVoX
AppleTV
MT-Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 AM   #687
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenj
I'm in the same boat but with an S2. I have the video playing the sound just fine but the picture is missing, so I think that S2's are also broken too. BTW - I'm transcoding at 1000kbps with 128k audio.
From perusing other threads it appears the problem is with 16:9 video. I was getting black screen on my 540 S2, when I changed Tivo dot net to do 4:3 instead of 16:9 I got video (though now letter- and pillar-boxed, since it was originally 16:9 video being transcoded to 4:3).

I've not seen a full solution yet, but updating your .conf to not use 16:9 might work for the time being.
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 AM   #688
buffalova

Quote:
I'm in the same boat but with an S2. I have the video playing the sound just fine but the picture is missing, so I think that S2's are also broken too.
For the record I have 2 S2's and pytivo seems to be tranferring fine. Actually a little better. It now shows the length of the transfer before you start which never appeared before. FYI I have aspect169 = false if this helps.
buffalova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #689
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalova
For the record I have 2 S2's and pytivo seems to be tranferring fine. Actually a little better. It now shows the length of the transfer before you start which never appeared before. FYI I have aspect169 = false if this helps.
Setting aspect169 to false means you're encoding as 4:3, which is working for all of us. It's the 16:9 which seems to have been broken by 9.1...
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #690
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone
Setting aspect169 to false means you're encoding as 4:3, which is working for all of us. It's the 16:9 which seems to have been broken by 9.1...
In the Tivo.Net thread I posted about problems I am having. It is 4:3 content. Works on 240, but not my 540. Audio, but no video.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5572421

Is 4:3 working for everyone else with 540s, and just not me?

Edit: My bad. I thought I had set Tivo.Net to 4:3. Apparently it didn't stick. Tried again with same video and 4:3, plays fine with audio/video on my 540.

There may still be an issue with 16:9 though as pointed out by others.

Last edited by greg_burns : 10-07-2007 at 08:04 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote