TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #571
Stu_Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by richklein
This might be a dumb question, but I downloaded the windows MSI file, it installed Python, Pytivo & I set the share directory for C:/video.

I then ran pytivo.py & a dos window stays open with no data on it. Does that dos window need to stay open ?
You can install pytivo as a service instead:
http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/WindowsInstall

Assuming you edited the pytivo.conf file correctly, you may want to try turning off your windows firewall...rebooting...starting pytivo again, then checking if you see it listed on your Tivo. Put some AVI's in the c:\video folder to test.
If it works with your firewall turned off, you may just need to add python.exe as an exception.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #572
richklein

Im a schmoo. This is a case of user error.

I ran pytivo.py, then shut the dos window that pops up & didnt bother to notice that Ptivo.py was running in my services

Once I rebooted all was well!
richklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:35 AM   #573
ocntscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by richklein
Im a schmoo.
I never knew there was such a thing as a schmoo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmoo
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #574
Dajad

OK, I'm taking my first shot at this.

- I am using 64 bit Vista Ultimate Edition with all firewalls shut off
- I downloaded and installed pyTiVo_182_setup.exe
- Everything seemed to install well (cool how it downloaded and installed the proper Python and ffmpeg for me).
- I opened up ports 9032 and 9033 in my router to both UDP & TCP to the IP address of my Tivo.
- I'm not trying to get this to run as a service. I'm content with just running it whenever I want to make a transfer.
- I was able to get TiVo.Net and TiVoDesktop to work off my XP Laptop - all on this same network. All my network devices are running through the same router.
- After getting the error message below I set the Python Executable up so that it ran in "Administrator" mode in Vista 64. That changed nothing.
- I have shut off TiVoDesktop and TiVo.Net on the Laptop before running PyTiVo on my Vista 64 Desktop.
- My TiVo sees the PyTiVo MyMovies service but when I click on it I see no available movies to transfer and I get this error:

The MyMovies PC's Now Playing List could not be displayed because it is unavailable. Press Left to return to the Now Playing list
Here's the error message I'm getting in the pyTyiVo.py DOS box:
Code:
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.132', 2428)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 463, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 521, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 64, in do_GET
    method(self, query)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 46, in Query
Container
    if not handler.server.containers.has_key(cname) or not self.get_local_path(h
andler, query):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\plugin.py", line 39, in get_local_path
    path = container['path']
KeyError: 'path'
Another Message I got at one point in the PyTiVo.py window was:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\Cheetah\Compiler.py:1508: UserWarning:
You don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! I'm disabling Cheetah's us
eStackFrames option as it is painfully slow with the Python version of NameMappe
r. You should get a copy of Cheetah with the compiled C version of NameMapper.
  "\nYou don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! "
192.168.1.132 - - [17/Jul/2007 15:07:32] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContaine
r&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
Help!!!!

...Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Last edited by Dajad : 07-17-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #575
pedxing
Zik-Zak

FYI, I have successfully installed pyTivo on a Linksys NSLU2 running the latest Unslung firmware. This is, as we New Englanders say, "wicked pissah" since now I have a tiny 4-Watt server with half a terabyte of storage space serving up music to my Roku Soundbridge and video to my TiVo!

Now if only it worked with my new Series 3...

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TiVoServer

Ped Xing
pedxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #576
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajad
...Help!!!!

...Dale
PyTiVo has a default config file "pytivo.conf", located in the directory pytivo was installed to (on windows, this is usually "c:/program files/pytivo"). You need to edit it, to (at the minimum) point pytivo to the location of the directory you wish to share. You should see a section like this near the bottom of the file:
Code:
[MyMovies]
#Type can be either 'video' or 'music'
type=video

#Path is the full path to your files (No trailing slash needed)
#For windows: path=c:\videos
#For linux:   path=/media
path=d:\video

##You can have more than one share

#[MyTelevision]
#type=video
#path=d:\television
The '#' symbols indicate comment lines, and are ignored by the program. Change "path=d:\video" to the path you want to share and then restart pytivo.

It may also be necessary to edit the ffmpeg entry to point to the ffmpeg executable:
Code:
#Full path to ffmpeg including filename
#For windows: ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
#For linux:   ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Armooo\Desktop\pyTivoSrc\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
Most of the other settings also have explanations as to what they do.

There is a configuration script included with pytivo, but I think it is still under construction(it was the last time I tried it), requiring you to hand edit the config file.

The "C version of NameMapper" warning can be ignored, pytivo functions correctly despite the message.

Last edited by gonzotek : 07-17-2007 at 04:51 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #577
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedxing
FYI, I have successfully installed pyTivo on a Linksys NSLU2 running the latest Unslung firmware. This is, as we New Englanders say, "wicked pissah" since now I have a tiny 4-Watt server with half a terabyte of storage space serving up music to my Roku Soundbridge and video to my TiVo!

Ped Xing
Nice, I've been planning on picking up some NAS box soon. Bookmarked your instructions for future use!

Last edited by gonzotek : 07-17-2007 at 04:49 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #578
Dajad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
PyTiVo has a default config file "pytivo.conf", located in the directory pytivo was installed to (on windows, this is usually "c:/program files/pytivo"). You need to edit it, to (at the minimum) point pytivo to the location of the directory you wish to share. You should see a section like this near the bottom of the file:
Code:
[MyMovies]
#Type can be either 'video' or 'music'
type=video

#Path is the full path to your files (No trailing slash needed)
#For windows: path=c:\videos
#For linux:   path=/media
path=d:\video

##You can have more than one share

#[MyTelevision]
#type=video
#path=d:\television
The '#' symbols indicate comment lines, and are ignored by the program. Change "path=d:\video" to the path you want to share and then restart pytivo. It may also be necessary to edit the ffmpeg entry to point to the ffmpeg executable:
Code:
#Full path to ffmpeg including filename
#For windows: ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
#For linux:   ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
ffmpeg=C:\Documents and Settings\Armooo\Desktop\pyTivoSrc\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
Most of the other settings also have explanations as to what they do.

There is a configuration script included with pytivo, but I think it is still under construction(it was the last time I tried it), requiring you to hand edit the config file.

The "C version of NameMapper" warning can be ignored, pytivo functions correctly despite the message.
Thanks Gonzotek!

Oh my Gosh! Goes to show what another set of eyes can do. I had actually edited the pyTivo.conf file - just forgot to mention it above. But your comment pointed me in the right direction - at least for now. Some how I had deleted the "path=" part and just put in
D:\Movies
rather than:
path=D:\Movies
So, onto the next problem. I might be able to solve this as I initially had the same problem on the TiVoDesktop but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

The movies now show up on my TiVo, but when I click on one, instead of transferring immediately, it says the movie will be transferred after previously transferred movie is done. Of course there is no previous movie transfer going on.

As I said, I had this exact same problme with TiVo.Net and TiVo Desktop a couple weeks ago before I got them working. But at the moment I can't remember what the solution was.

Any guesses?

...Dale

Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #579
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
FYI, I have successfully installed pyTivo on a Linksys NSLU2 running the latest Unslung firmware.
Interesting. I've considered trying to get pyTiVo/TiVo.Net to run on my Buffalo Linkstation using the OpenLink firmware but what's holding me back is the CPU. How does the NSLU2 hold up to transcoding on the fly? Can you watch in near-real time?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #580
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
As I said, I had this exact same problme with TiVo.Net and TiVo Desktop a couple weeks ago before I got them working. But at the moment I can't remember what the solution was.
Try rebooting your TiVo. That seems to clear strange things like that up.

|
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #581
pedxing
Zik-Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Interesting. I've considered trying to get pyTiVo/TiVo.Net to run on my Buffalo Linkstation using the OpenLink firmware but what's holding me back is the CPU. How does the NSLU2 hold up to transcoding on the fly? Can you watch in near-real time?
I haven't tried real-time transcoding, actually. I'm just serving up .tivo and .mpg files already in the correct format. The NSLU2 will stream these to my Series 2 faster than real-time in Medium and near real time in Best.

I imagine transcoding would be SLOW. My NSLU2 has been "de-underclocked" so it runs at 266 MHz, but I still can see the slowness on CPU-intensive tasks. Considering that my home Celeron 4 1.7 Ghz PC can't transcode in real time, I doubt the slug will even come close!

The Linkstation should be able to run pyTivo just fine, assuming it can run Python and ffmpeg. But don't count on transcoding. Instead, just load it up with disk space and serve up native mpeg or .tivo files!

I also tried Galleon and couldn't get it to work with phoneme, jamvm, or kaffe. Tivo.Net will not work since it uses Microsoft's Windows-only .net programming stuff...

Ped Xing
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #582
pedxing
Zik-Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
Nice, I've been planning on picking up some NAS box soon. Bookmarked your instructions for future use!
If you're a hacker type, I strongly recommend the NSLU2. It has great potential with the Unslung firmware. It's especially nice with the mt-daapd (aka Firefly) server for iTunes and Roku Soundbridge use! And now we know it runs pyTivo too!

If you're not interested in hacking, though, then save yourself some grief and effort and pick up a name-brand NAS like the Western Digital or Buffalo systems. Watch out for the Ximeta NetDisk and Netgear StorageCentral since they are not NAS but weird proprietary disk-over-Ethernet things!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #583
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I haven't tried real-time transcoding, actually. I'm just serving up .tivo and .mpg files already in the correct format.
Ok, makes sense.

Quote:
Tivo.Net will not work since it uses Microsoft's Windows-only .net programming stuff...
TiVo.Net will run on Linux through mono (I'm doing that now). There's a PPC build of mono, so theoretically I could get TiVo.net working on the Linkstation, but pyTiVo would be the smaller-footprint way to go (without transcoding, as you pointed out).

I might have to make this a little weekend experiment ...

|
Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #584
Dajad

Quote:
Try rebooting your TiVo. That seems to clear strange things like that up.
Houston, we have lift off!

Ha! Took me a day to actually try this - BUT IT WORKED! I rebooted my TiVo and now all seems to be working. I did my first transfer and am now doing another. Thanks Windracer!

1. 16x9 Aspect Ratio Issue

I think I need to futz with the aspect ratio settings. I watch on a 16x9 Plasma TV. The first 16x9 video I transferred (ie: a 16x9 movie I ripped from a DVD - it is 16.x9 when I watch on my PC) was stretched wide on my TiVo/Plasma with lots of blank space above and below. When I changed my TV's aspect ratio to 4:3 the video looked fine (16x9 in a 4x3 box) with black bars around all four sides. Argh! Probably just need to change some settings.

The second transfer seems to be doing the 16x9 thing properly - a 16x9 TV show (well it does leave some very thin black lines on the top and bottom. Much thinner than the first trasnfer).

Update 1: I did try futzing with the "aspect169=true" line and also tried setting "width=704" and "width=720" and none of this seemed to make any difference. This is not a big deal though. Everything is watchable so far.

Update 2: I'm doing my catchup back-reading in this thread. In this post TiVo's witn SN's starting with 649 are supposed to not display 16x9 on 4:3 TVs. I wonder if this is relevant to me. My TiVo has a 649 SN. But, I also just noticed that my TiVo S2 was not set to output in 16x9. I know I set this up when I first set up the TiVo a few weeks ago. I guess this must have been reset in one of my reboots. So I'll need to do more testing to see if I still have a problem or not.

Update 3: I still dn't know what width I should set in the pyTiVo.conf file for output to a 16x9 plasma TV. I've tried 720 and 704 and I can't see a difference. It could be that my TV is doing some upscaling or whatever on its own. Can someone explain clearly what the difference is with the "Output Pixex Width:" field is supposed to do? My TV is 1024x720. I'd ideally like to code to that but this doesn't seem to be an option. The options are 720, 704, 544, 480, 352. But none of the documentation that I've found so far tells me what the height will be when I choose them.

2. Problems Navigating the Shares' Subdirectories

I'm also having problems navigating up and down directories of my shares. If I go down one directory and back up then down another, the TiVo shows the movies in the prior subdirctory. I know this has been an issue. I will keep reading this forum from the beginning to see if there is a solution. Or if someone has a solution, please let me know. Do I just have to wait a certain amount of time between navigating/returning?

Update: I found this description of the problem. However, the solution, to navigate gingerly (ie: wait 2 seconds before navigating up and down folders) doesn't work. Is this where we are on this issue? Do we need to set up dozens of single level shares rather than being able to navigate subdirectories? This would really bite because I have my videos all nicely organized into subfolders.

3. Can PyTiVo Be Set to Use more CPU Cycles?

I'm also surprised that PyTiVo is only using about 33% of my system CPU cycles. I've got a VERY fast machine. I don't think the bottleneck is my network speed as I have a 100 Mbps wired Ethernet connection to my TiVo. I'd be surprised if that is slowing things down. I'd like somehow to get PyTiVo to use more CPU cycles to make the transcoding and transfer faster if there is a way.

4. Network Share Issue

I can transfer content from the local C & D drive fine. I tried to set up a share to my W:\ drive - a shared directory from another computer in my network - actually 1 foot away from my main Vista machine. I called the share "Vids Long". TiVo "sees" the Vids Long share in the Now Playing list, along with my two other shares, setup in the PyTiVo.conf file but when I navigate to it on the TiVo I get this error message:
The Vids Long PC's Now Playing LIst could not be displayed because of an unknown error. Press LEFT to retrun to the Now Playing List.
I get this error message in the Python box.

Code:
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.132', 1204)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 463, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 521, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 64, in do_GET
    method(self, query)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 91, in Query
Container
    t.files, t.total, t.start = self.get_files(handler, query, VideoFileFilter)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\plugin.py", line 50, in get_files
    files = os.listdir(path)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the path specified: 'W:\\files\\v
ids long/*.*'
Note that the double slashes "\\" in the path in the error message above are NOT in the share path I set up in the PyTiVo.conf file. This is what I have in the PyTiVo.conf file:

Code:

[Vids Long]
type=video
path=W:\files\vids long
Does Python not work with Networked shares? Would UNC paths' work?

Update: I just remembered I back my W:\drive up on my D:\drive so I don't really need this. Doh! I pointed the share to the backup on my D:\ drive and this problem is solved. It would be interesting for future reference to know if networked shares will work though.

5. Slow Mo Doesn't Work:

I'm a bit surprised by this one. The Slow-mo button on my peanut does not work with any of the 7 or 8 videos that I've transferred. If I press "Slow-Mo" the video actually speeds up. My slow-mo button otherwise works with broadcast TV.

6. Pause Button Slow to React:

I find that pause doesn't pause as quickly as it does on a regular TiVo recording. It sometimes waits and pauses a second later. And, when I try to go frame by frame backwards to where I wanted it to pause I often can't pause there. Or, if I try to pause in advance so it will stop where I want it usually doesn't. It's really a catch as catch can pause.

7. Future of pyTiVo:

If/when TiVo opens up TiVoComeBack on S3s and H.264 is supported, will PyTiVo work with the S3s and be able to transcode to and send H.264 videos to the S3? That would be ideal.

...Dale

Last edited by Dajad : 07-19-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #585
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Hey all. pyTivo is simply amazing. I have just started reading my way through all of the 20 pages of posts, so bear with me if this question has been asked.

I have some TV shows on DVD that I want to rip to my pyTivo server. What is the best/easiest format to rip them to for pyTivo to be able to transcode them and what software should I use to do the ripping? I was thinking Dr Divx but if in the future I ever get an AppleTV or something else, maybe MP4 would be better. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated either here of via PM.

By the way I run WindowsXP on my "server".

Thanks!!

TiVo Premiere w/WD20EARS 2TB Internal (317 hours HD recording using
!)

Are you a Walt Disney World fan?
Check out the award winning
BigT4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #586
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
There's a PPC build of mono, so theoretically I could get TiVo.net working on the Linkstation, but pyTiVo would be the smaller-footprint way to go (without transcoding, as you pointed out).

I might have to make this a little weekend experiment ...
Well, I've got pyTivo running on my Linkstation now. It took forever to compile Python 2.5 and ffmpeg on the little box, but eventually I got both working. Since I'm not going to attempt serious transcoding on the LS2, I didn't bother with all of the extra add-ins to ffmpeg and just went with the basic configure/make.

I'm transferring my first .tivo file directly from the LS2 to my S2 now ...

|
Old 07-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #587
buff23

Music Playlist support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraveh
Hi,

I've been using pyTivo for a couple of month now and I love it.
I used Galleon before and I think pyTivo is doing great job.
One thing that I miss or do not know how to configure is mp3 playlist. I tried pointing pyTivo to a directory that contains my playlist but it complains that it empty.
Does pyTivo support playlist?
I am a long time user of PyTivo and would also like to know whether PyTivo supports playlists (m3u) files. I tried to add some to my share, but the Tivo does not detect/display these files. If it does not support this, any plan to support playlists in the future?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
buff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #588
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I haven't tried real-time transcoding, actually. I'm just serving up .tivo and .mpg files already in the correct format. The NSLU2 will stream these to my Series 2 faster than real-time in Medium and near real time in Best.
My results are similar. I was able to send a 900mb (44 minute) .tivo file through pyTivo on the Linkstation to my S2 in about 20 minutes. It appears pyTivo doesn't even need to invoke ffmpeg to do that, so maybe all that trouble and time compiling ffmpeg wasn't necessary.

I tried transcoding a 35mb .wmv file ... after 1 hour only 2 minutes had transferred over.

|
Old 07-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #589
Dajad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT4187
Hey all. pyTivo is simply amazing. I have just started reading my way through all of the 20 pages of posts, so bear with me if this question has been asked.

I have some TV shows on DVD that I want to rip to my pyTivo server. What is the best/easiest format to rip them to for pyTivo to be able to transcode them and what software should I use to do the ripping? I was thinking Dr Divx but if in the future I ever get an AppleTV or something else, maybe MP4 would be better. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated either here of via PM.

By the way I run WindowsXP on my "server".

Thanks!!
I know Justin Thyme (a forum guru) uses DVDFAb Platinum. I intend to purchase it at some point but am still looking into it.

Whatever DVD Ripper you use, my suggestion is to be sure it can rip into H.264 format because that has become the defacto supported standard of ALL current settops (PS3, TiVo S3, Apple TV, Xbox 360 etc.). All the majors have avoided DivX/Xvid to placate Hollywood. Given that H.264 (an MP4 variant) has become THE settop standard my guess is the bittorrent crowd will migrate to it over time.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #590
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Quote:
I know Justin Thyme (a forum guru) uses DVDFAb Platinum. I intend to purchase it at some point but am still looking into it.

Whatever DVD Ripper you use, my suggestion is to be sure it can rip into H.264 format because that has become the defacto supported standard of ALL current settops (PS3, TiVo S3, Apple TV, Xbox 360 etc.). All the majors have avoided DivX/Xvid to placate Hollywood. Given that H.264 (an MP4 variant) has become THE settop standard my guess is the bittorrent crowd will migrate to it over time.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it.

TiVo Premiere w/WD20EARS 2TB Internal (317 hours HD recording using
!)

Are you a Walt Disney World fan?
Check out the award winning
BigT4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #591
davesanti

Quote:

Ped Xing
Very cool... I am going to try to get this going on my Slug...

Since PY wont serve photos off the Slug.. anyone have any ideas on what to use to pull photos from the Slug to the Tivo.

Dave
davesanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #592
cr33p

What is the latest stable release that I should be using? I downloaded the 182 windows installer ver and for some reason the only way I can get it to run is if I manually start up pytivo.py, even though upon a system reboot the pytivo service starts up however once I click on my share in the NPL nothing happens it just sits there, then I back out to the main NPL and then the share is gone all together until I start pytivo.py then all works well. Any ideas?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:48 AM   #593
tadtadtadtadtad

Need help running pytivo on my Mac.

HELP! Can someone help me get pytivo running on my Mac? I've tried and failed on my old PC. I've tried to follow the configuration directions at the armooo wiki on how to get it up and running on the mac but cannot run the terminal commands listed for compiling ffmpeg. Like I even know what that means.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me. I was able to run it on a PC for a few weeks and then nothing. No clue why. Any ideas on that front would be helpful also.

Here's what I have in the pyTivo.conf file on my pc where it no longer shows up on any of my 3 tivos. What am I doing wrong?

[Movies]
type = video
path = G:\Video\Movies

[PC Files]
type = video
path = G:\Video

[Server]
subnet = 192.168.1.1
ffmpeg = G:\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
path = G:\pyTivo
port = 9032

Last edited by tadtadtadtadtad : 07-29-2007 at 02:01 AM.
tadtadtadtadtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #594
geekasaurus_rex

Scheduled Transfer...

After quite a bit of searching, I have not yet found the answer to my s(h)ituation, so here goes:

Just got a brand new Series2.

Installed pyTivo, configured, can see the movies in the appropriate directory per the pyTivo directory from the TiVo "Now Playing" Screen.

Trying to show one on the Tv, I select "Show on This TV." It states that the program/movie is Scheduled for Transfer, and it shows up in the "To Do" list.

That's it. I don't see it moving, can't play it, etc. I can cancel the Scheduled Transfer, but can't play it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 AM   #595
buffalova

Quote:
After quite a bit of searching, I have not yet found the answer to my s(h)ituation, so here goes:

Just got a brand new Series2.

Installed pyTivo, configured, can see the movies in the appropriate directory per the pyTivo directory from the TiVo "Now Playing" Screen.

Trying to show one on the Tv, I select "Show on This TV." It states that the program/movie is Scheduled for Transfer, and it shows up in the "To Do" list.

That's it. I don't see it moving, can't play it, etc. I can cancel the Scheduled Transfer, but can't play it.

If you haven't already try rebooting your tivo and then try again.
buffalova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #596
gimgol

"Partial" Files

This one is stumping me ...

I have pyTivo-subfolders-8.3-200 setup on a linux box. I can see the files / folders on the Tivo. When I select a file to stream Tivo shows the length correctly (e.g 1:36) but indicates that it is a "Partial" file. When I play the file I only get the first minute. I have tried pyTivo-201 with the same results.

Thanks.

Last edited by gimgol : 07-30-2007 at 05:35 PM.
gimgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #597
svhawk

HELP subfolders don't show up

I just got my series 2 toshiba to find the my computer but when I click on the folder I get an error on the TIVO indicating it can't see any files. any thoughts?
svhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #598
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekasaurus_rex

I had a similar problem, that I thought might be related to several ['s and ('s in the file name. I renamed the file to be only alphanumerical and it played fine. YMMV!
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #599
graceland

Partial file

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimgol
This one is stumping me ...

I have pyTivo-subfolders-8.3-200 setup on a linux box. I can see the files / folders on the Tivo. When I select a file to stream Tivo shows the length correctly (e.g 1:36) but indicates that it is a "Partial" file. When I play the file I only get the first minute. I have tried pyTivo-201 with the same results.

Thanks.
gimgol,

Have you had any luck?

I have the same issue using Ubuntu 7.04. I get the first 1 or 2 minutes and it stops. I am running it a terminal window as I haven't figured out how to run is automagically. I'm a bit of a linux noob. I think I'm going to try to list my Tivos separately in the pyTivo.conf file. That seems to resolve issues for others. (Although not this specific one)

graceland
graceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #600
geekasaurus_rex

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
I had a similar problem, that I thought might be related to several ['s and ('s in the file name. I renamed the file to be only alphanumerical and it played fine. YMMV!
Up and running now... a few reboots, and an update (for it 'twas a new TiVo!) and all is well.

Has anyone investigated / solved the issue of changing the names in the "Now Playing" list? I have done several searches to no avail...

I ask only because my wife does not think the video of our wee one (MOV0015) makes a good listing in "Now Playing."

Thanks again.