TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #4741
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
All your internet shortcut does is bring up the web interface that enables you to change settings and initiate pulls from and pushes to your TiVos. It does not start pyTivo. pyTivo must be running in order for it to work. That is why you are getting the message "This page canít be displayed". Your browser is trying to communicate with an app running on the local computer (localhost) communicating on port 9032, which is the port that oyTivo uses by default.

+1.
How do you get pytivo started?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #4742
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
How do you get pytivo started?
For right now, just follow the directions I gave you.

I am assuming that the answer to my question is "Yes, someone else set it up for me initially." Any chance of getting that person to help you? This is a lot easier to do hands on.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #4743
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I am assuming that the answer to my question is "Yes, someone else set it up for me initially."
His references to "pytivo-Wmcbrine-2009.13.09-RC1" indicate that he started with Rdian's Windows Installer. A lot of people seem to get hung up on that. It wouldn't be so bad if Rdian had maintained it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 06-10-2014 at 02:32 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #4744
caddyroger

Quote:
For right now, just follow the directions I gave you.

I am assuming that the answer to my question is "Yes, someone else set it up for me initially." Any chance of getting that person to help you? This is a lot easier to do hands on.
I did the pytivo install but using the 2009 version with the updates to fall of 2010. I can get that version to work but not have the new stuff.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #4745
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
His references to "pytivo-Wmcbrine-2009.13.09-RC1" indicate that he started with Rdian's Windows Installer. A lot of people seem to get hung up on that. It wouldn't be so bad if Rdian had maintained it.
Right that version I got to work with the updates to fall of 2010. I having a problem with the tivo master. I am not a technical person.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #4746
lpwcomp

Quote:
I did the pytivo install but using the 2009 version with the updates to fall of 2010. I can get that version to work but not have the new stuff.
Ah, Ok. But you do know where pyTivo is installed, correct? And you copied all of the files and directories from pytivo-master into that directory? IF that is the case, you need to try to start it manually from a command prompt using the steps I outlined. Get that to work and we can proceed from there.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #4747
caddyroger

Quote:
Try this. Open up a command prompt. cd to the pyTivo directory. Enter "pyTivo.py". Post the output here. (to copy text from the command prompt window to the clipboard, left mouse on the upper left corner, select edit->mark. Click & drag to highlight the text, then edit->copy)
Is this where you was telling me how to start pytivo. If it is What is cd? in book for dummies how would I wrord it to work.
If you do want to help me I would not care. I know I am not that technical so I would under stand and will not get upset.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #4748
lpwcomp

Quote:
Is this where you was telling me how to start pytivo. If it is What is cd? in book for dummies how would I wrord it to work.
If you do want to help me I would not care. I know I am not that technical so I would under stand and will not get upset.
cd is a command. it changes which directory you are in. Assuming that pyTivo is installed in C:\pyTivo, once you start the command prompt, the first thing you enter is

cd C:\pyTivo.

Then you enter

pyTivo.py

If everything is installed properly, pyTivo should start.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #4749
caddyroger

Quote:
cd is a command. it changes which directory you are in. Assuming that pyTivo is installed in C:\pyTivo, once you start the command prompt, the first thing you enter is

cd C:\pyTivo.

Then you enter

pyTivo.py

If everything is installed properly, pyTivo should start.
Ok I get this screen now. Now how do I get to the my videos to be push or pulled screen screen? I tried using the internet short cut but I get "this page can not be displayed' when clicking my videos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-10 18_53_15-pyTivo.jpg (48.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by caddyroger : 06-10-2014 at 09:35 PM.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #4750
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ok I get this screen now. Now how do I get to the my videos to be push or pulled screen screen? I tried using the internet short cut but I get "this page can not be displayed' when clicking my videos.
Did you leave the command prompt open? If you close it, pyTivo will be shut down. You can minimize it, just don't close it.

Can you post your pyTivo.conf file (after editing it to xx out your user id and password)? edit It's in the the pyTivo directory.

I'm not sure why it is looking in C:\program files\bin for ffmpeg.exe.

Open a command prompt. cd to the pyTivo directory. enter "dir >lst.txt". Post the contents of lst.txt.

edit2: xx out the MAK also.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 06-11-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #4751
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Also, "program" is misspelled as "prograrm" (in the ffmpeg path).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #4752
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Also, "program" is misspelled as "prograrm" (in the ffmpeg path).
Which means that is what it is in pyTivo.conf

Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #4753
caddyroger

Quote:
Did you leave the command prompt open? If you close it, pyTivo will be shut down. You can minimize it, just don't close it.

Can you post your pyTivo.conf file (after editing it to xx out your user id and password)? edit It's in the the pyTivo directory.

I'm not sure why it is looking in C:\program files\bin for ffmpeg.exe.

Open a command prompt. cd to the pyTivo directory. enter "dir >lst.txt". Post the contents of lst.txt.

edit2: xx out the MAK also.
I corrected the problem with the ffmpeg file. Here is the new command lines and a copy of my config.conf. I could not get the dir>lst.txt to work from the command prompt. So I attched the file from my pytivo folder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg command 2.jpg (52.0 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt pyTivo 5.txt (360 Bytes, 10 views)
File Type: txt 1st.txt (2.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #4754
lpwcomp

Quote:
I corrected the problem with the ffmpeg file. Here is the new command lines and a copy of my config.conf. I could not get the dir>lst.txt to work from the command prompt. So I attched the file from my pytivo folder
Actually, it did work. That is how the file you attached got created. The ">" redirects the output of the command.

OK, with pyTivo running, do you still get the "page not found" when trying to access "localhost:9032"?

You might also try removing the "beacon = 192.168.1.25" from the conf file and restarting pyTivo.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #4755
caddyroger

Quote:
Actually, it did work. That is how the file you attached got created. The ">" redirects the output of the command.

OK, with pyTivo running, do you still get the "page not found" when trying to access "localhost:9032"?

You might also try removing the "beacon = 192.168.1.25" from the conf file and restarting pyTivo.
Yes i still get the "this page can not be displayed. This the command afer removing the beacon.
I think I'll just give up on getting the new pytivo to work. The old one work but not like the new with all of the updates. Plus I could be asking to much from you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg command 5.jpg (40.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #4756
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes i still get the "this page can not be displayed. This the command afer removing the beacon.
I think I'll just give up on getting the new pytivo to work. The old one work but not like the new with all of the updates. Plus I could be asking to much from you guys.
Before you give up, with the new pyTivo running, open an empty tab in a browser and enter "localhost:9032" (without the quotes)

Edit: There is something else that occurred to me: Windows 8 is persnickety about what you can and cannot do in the Program Files directory. You might consider putting it in C:\pyTivo instead.

edit2: When it is running, check "My Shows" on your TiVo to see if the share appears.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 06-11-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #4757
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Edit: There is something else that occurred to me: Windows 8 is persnickety about what you can and cannot do in the Program Files directory. You might consider putting it in C:\pyTivo instead.
+1

caddyroger, are you using the windows install instructions from the pyTivo wiki, here:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...indows_Install
They include the recommendation not to install in the Program Files folders.
I strongly suspect this is your problem.

and
Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #4758
caddyroger

Quote:
Before you give up, with the new pyTivo running, open an empty tab in a browser and enter "localhost:9032" (without the quotes)

edit2: When it is running, check "My Shows" on your TiVo to see if the share appears.
I tried just using c:\ptivo It just came back as "file not found.
I check for my videos on my tv their is none.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #4759
caddyroger

Quote:
+1

caddyroger, are you using the windows install instructions from the pyTivo wiki, here:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...indows_Install
They include the recommendation not to install in the Program Files folders.
I strongly suspect this is your problem.
Yes I was using the "http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install". I was told just copy the master file to pytivo folder. I could be wrong in the way I read.
There was no instructions that I could find on installing it any other way.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #4760
lpwcomp

Quote:
I tried just using c:\ptivo It just came back as "file not found.
I check for my videos on my tv their is none.
You have to create the directory then move (or copy) everything in the C:\Program Files\pyTivo directory to it.

Do this:

Stop pyTivo. Bring up "File Explorer". Select the C drive. Right mouse, select New->Folder. Name the folder pyTivo. Open the C:\Program Files\pyTivo folder. Select the pyTivo.conf file. It will be named pyTivo and have a Type of "CONF". Right mouse, select Copy. Open the C:pyTivo folder. Right mouse. Select paste. Open the pyTivo-master directory. Select everything in it. Right mouse. Select Copy. Open the C:\pyTivo directory again. Right mouse. Paste. After the operation completes, double click on the pyTivo.py file. It will be named pyTivo and have a Type of "Python File".

I really recommend removing the Beacon line from the pyTivo.conf.

Also see if anything named pyTivo or python is running as a service.

There's also the possibility of some Windows 8 firewall crap causing problems.

Ghod, I loathe Windows 8. AFAICT, it's designed to make it difficult to run anything other than M$ apps or at least M$ approved apps.

As to the alternative to just go back to using the old version - I'm not sure that it will all that easy to do so.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #4761
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Yes I was using the "http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install". I was told just copy the master file to pytivo folder. I could be wrong in the way I read.
There was no instructions that I could find on installing it any other way.
I don't see any reference to a "master file" in those instructions.

and
Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #4762
lpwcomp

Quote:
I think he is talking about copying from the pytivo-master directory. I just read the instructions and they are actually deficient since the leave out this step and assume that all you have to do is extract them into the target directory. The problem is that it doesn't work that way, at least not on windows 8. You actually end up with a subdirectory, lately usually named pytivo-master, from which you must either move or copy everything. Or you can open the zip, then open the pytivo-maste directory within the zip, select everything and copy and paste it into the target directory.

Another problem is that the instructions are for an initial install, so they tell you to copy the pyTivo.conf.dist file to pyTivo.conf, which you obviously should not do for an update.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #4763
caddyroger

Quote:
I down loaded it off wmcbrine pytivo from sourceforce. I have a a screen shot of it in my H folder. This where I got the files from. "h:\PYTIVO TEST\pytivo-master". I can not upload what that contains
Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #4764
caddyroger

Quote:
You have to create the directory then move (or copy) everything in the C:\Program Files\pyTivo directory to it.

Do this:

Stop pyTivo. Bring up "File Explorer". Select the C drive. Right mouse, select New->Folder. Name the folder pyTivo. Open the C:\Program Files\pyTivo folder. Select the pyTivo.conf file. It will be named pyTivo and have a Type of "CONF". Right mouse, select Copy. Open the CyTivo folder. Right mouse. Select paste. Open the pyTivo-master directory. Select everything in it. Right mouse. Select Copy. Open the C:\pyTivo directory again. Right mouse. Paste. After the operation completes, double click on the pyTivo.py file. It will be named pyTivo and have a Type of "Python File".

I really recommend removing the Beacon line from the pyTivo.conf.

Also see if anything named pyTivo or python is running as a service.

There's also the possibility of some Windows 8 firewall crap causing problems.

Ghod, I loathe Windows 8. AFAICT, it's designed to make it difficult to run anything other than M$ apps or at least M$ approved apps.

As to the alternative to just go back to using the old version - I'm not sure that it will all that easy to do so.
Ok I did that I get this now. I did remover the beacon from the pytivo.conf file.
I done tring this and going back to the old pytivo. Thanks for helping this not to techical person out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg command 8.jpg (58.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #4765
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ok I did that I get this now. I did remover the beacon from the pytivo.conf file.
I done tring this and going back to the old pytivo. Thanks for helping this not to techical person out.
Ok. Well, good luck with that.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #4766
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Based on your command window image, pyTivo looked like it was working. Did you actually try a push or pull, or look for the shares on your tivo?

and
Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #4767
caddyroger

Quote:
Based on your command window image, pyTivo looked like it was working. Did you actually try a push or pull, or look for the shares on your tivo?
Yes it does seems like it working. Here is the screen that shows up when entering localhost:9032. When I click on my videos that when I get the this " page can not be displayed"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pytivo web page.jpg (14.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #4768
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes it does seems like it working. Here is the screen that shows up when entering localhost:9032. When I click on my videos that when I get the this " page can not be displayed"
That is a completely different problem.

Does the "E:\TO THE TIVO" directory actually exist?

Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #4769
caddyroger

Quote:
That is a completely different problem.

Does the "E:\TO THE TIVO" directory actually exist?
Been that way for the last year
Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #4770
lpwcomp

Quote:
Been that way for the last year
The fact that originally, the path to ffmpeg.exe was wrong means you changed something. So please just check to make sure that there actually is a directory named TO THE TIVO on your E disk drive.