TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #3961
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Only on a Premiere.
Well, since one can only pull h.264 files on a Premiere, the point is moot.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #3962
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, since one can only pull h.264 files on a Premiere, the point is moot.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #3963
lrhorer

Quote:
He's talking about pulling h.264 files, which unless I am mistaken can only be accomplished on a Premiere, so any activity limited to the Premiere is given to be available, notwithstanding any failure of the activity on an S3.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #3964
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
He's talking about pulling h.264 files, which unless I am mistaken can only be accomplished on a Premiere, so any activity limited to the Premiere is given to be available, notwithstanding any failure of the activity on an S3.
You should be able to pull h.264 files to any TiVo, it's just that they will be transcoded.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #3965
lrhorer

Quote:
You should be able to pull h.264 files to any TiVo, it's just that they will be transcoded.
'Sorry, I meant to say, "Without transcoding...".
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #3966
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Only on a Premiere.
I am pulling to a Premiere. How can I group items to a single folder with pytivo with a user created seriesId (i.e. Movies)?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #3967
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
I am pulling to a Premiere. How can I group items to a single folder with pytivo with a user created seriesId (i.e. Movies)?
Using an arbitrary seriesId used to work but it that got broken at some point though may bne working again with the latest fix. I haven't completely tested it again.

What does seem to work this point (at least for me) is using a seriesId of the form SH9nnnnnnn where nnnnnnn is 0001101 or greater. I put movies I want to group into the same folder on the PC and create a default.txt file with the relevant information. You must also change the title entry in the individual metadata files to episodeTitle and remove or comment out the movieYear and isEpisodic entries.

Example of a default.txt:
Code:
seriesTitle : The Lord of the Rings
title : The Lord of the Rings
seriesId : SH90001112
isEpisode : true
isEpisodic : true
example of a modified metadata file:
Code:
episodeTitle : The Fellowship of the Ring
#movieYear : 2001
description : From the idyllic shire of the Hobbits to the smoking chasms of Mordor, director Peter Jackson follows Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood) as he embarks on his epic quest. The movie -- which nabbed 13 Oscar nods -- boasts an outstanding cast, including Ian McKellen and Viggo Mortensen. This extended version includes unseen footage.
originalAirDate : 2001-12-19T23:00:00Z
time : 2001-12-19T23:00:00Z
starRating : X6
#mpaaRating : PG-13
vProgramGenre : Action & Adventure
vProgramGenre : Sci-Fi & Fantasy
vProgramGenre : Action Sci-Fi & Fantasy
vProgramGenre : Fantasy
vDirector : Peter Jackson|
vActor : Elijah Wood|
vActor : Sean Astin|
vActor : Ian Holm|
vActor : Ian McKellen|
vActor : Christopher Lee|
vActor : Orlando Bloom|
vActor : Billy Boyd|
vActor : Liv Tyler|
vActor : Cate Blanchett|
vActor : Sean Bean|
vActor : Brad Dourif|
vActor : Bernard Hill|
vActor : Viggo Mortensen|
vActor : Miranda Otto|
vActor : John Rhys-Davies|
vActor : Bruce Spence|
vActor : Karl Urban|
vActor : Hugo Weaving|
vActor : David Wenham|
image : The Fellowship of the Ring.mp4.jpg
You'll note that I also commented out the mpaaRating entry. While the movies still group, its presence seems to cause a problem with the most of the metadata.

You'll also note that I added originalAirDate and time entries. If you choose to do so, DO NOT USE A time ENTRY PRIOR TO 1970! YOUR TiVo WILL CRASH!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #3968
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Only way I found to get TiVo compatible captions in DTVCC Transport mux is to re-encode DVD mpeg2 source to mp4 using VideoRedo. I confirmed then I get captions on TiVo that way. ffmpeg doesn't support encoding of 608 captions, so VRD has a big advantage for H.264 encoding in that regard.
I'm not sure what DTVCC Transport mux & 608 captions are, but does this mean that it's possible to create a H.264 file with closed captions that can be enabled or disabled at the tivo?

I tried to create Tivo compatible captions with H.264 encoding file, but haven't gotten it to work on my Premiere. When I try to turn the captions on at the tivo side, the tivo says that the program has closed captions but does not display any captions. Can someone identify what I'm doing wrong.
1) Transfer video (as program stream) from Tivo to PC using kmttg
1a) decrypt with tivodecode under kmttg
1b) run videoredo QS Fix under kmttg
1c) run videoredo ad detect under kmttg. Manually review ad cuts in videoredo
1d) run videoredo ad cut under kmttg
1e) run ccextractor under kmttg
1f) encode with modified videoredo h264-MP4 profile (resolution changed to 720x400 to decrease file size)
2) Run mp4box to mux in .srt captions from ccextractor into the mp4 container with video and audio. Mediainfo attached
3) Push video to Tivo (Doesn't look like it's transcoding):
Code:
2012-12-31 16:27:37,506 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: CACHE HIT! d:\Video\Raising Hope.S308-The Last Christmas_cut.mp4-muxed.mp4
2012-12-31 16:27:37,507 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, d:\Video\Raising Hope.S308-The Last Christmas_cut.mp4-muxed.mp4
2012-12-31 16:27:37,509 INFO  pyTivo: 192.168.1.91 [31/Dec/2012 16:27:37] "GET /Boomer_DVideos/Raising%20Hope.S308-The%20Last%20Christmas_cut.mp4-muxed.mp4?Format=video%2Fmp4 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
2012-12-31 16:27:37,509 INFO  pyTivo.video.video: [31/Dec/2012 16:27:37] Start sending "d:\Video\Raising Hope.S308-The Last Christmas_cut.mp4-muxed.mp4" to Kitchen
2012-12-31 16:27:37,509 DEBUG pyTivo.video.video: "d:\Video\Raising Hope.S308-The Last Christmas_cut.mp4-muxed.mp4" is tivo compatible
2012-12-31 16:27:37,510 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: Getting index of top level atoms...
2012-12-31 16:27:37,512 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: ftyp: 20
2012-12-31 16:27:37,512 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: moov: 1196360
2012-12-31 16:27:37,513 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: mdat: 547576858
2012-12-31 16:27:37,513 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: free: 69
2012-12-31 16:27:37,513 DEBUG pyTivo.video.qt-faststart: mp4 already streamable -- copying
2012-12-31 16:28:28,447 INFO  pyTivo.video.video: [31/Dec/2012 16:28:28] Done sending "d:\Video\Raising Hope.S308-The Last Christmas_cut.mp4-muxed.mp4" to Kitchen, 548773307 bytes, 82.19 Mb/s

Attached Files
File Type: txt mediainfo.txt (7.3 KB, 6 views)
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #3969
moyekj

In your mediainfo it's showing following for text format:
Format: Timed text

This is mediainfo for CC in mpeg2 downloaded from TiVo:
(Can turn on/off captions with this clip on the TiVo)
Code:
Text
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)-608-1
Format                           : EIA-608
Muxing mode                      : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info           : Muxed in Video #1
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)
This is from same video encoded to h.264 mp4 with recent version of VRD TVSuite:
(Can turn on/off captions with this clip on the TiVo)
Code:
Text
ID                               : 1-608-1
Format                           : EIA-608
Muxing mode                      : AVC / SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info           : Muxed in Video #1
Duration                         : 43s 711ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)
i.e. If the original mpeg2 has EIA-608 captions you don't need to generate srt and then try to mux it in. VideoRedo will take care of it. VideoRedo will also convert DVD captions to the EIA-608 DVTCC transport mux format when encoding to H.264 in mp4 container which also works on the TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 12-31-2012 at 11:40 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #3970
reneg

I had the latest released version of Videoredo and when I checked for updates, it said I had the latest version (build 629, I think). I went to the Videoredo forums and downloaded with latest beta (build 646).

Encoding with this newer version of VideoRedo allowed me encode H264 and have the closed captions work on my Premiere. No need to mux in the .srt like you said.

Thanks moyekj and the Videoredo folks.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #3971
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quick question: I am on Mountain Lion and I'm using the PyTiVo build from last January. Is there any reason to upgrade to a newer version of PyTiVo if everything is working well?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #3972
newsposter
Poster of News

why when i pull a file to tivo does it enable me to start watching within 2 to 3 seconds but if i push the same file, it takes much longer and pytivo seems to 'work a lot more' before it begins to stream and the blue light comes on - dont know how else to word that.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #3973
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
why when i pull a file to tivo does it enable me to start watching within 2 to 3 seconds but if i push the same file, it takes much longer and pytivo seems to 'work a lot more' before it begins to stream and the blue light comes on - dont know how else to word that.
Part of it is that a push has to be initiated through the mind.tivo.com server. Note that that is just the initiation. The actual data still goes directly from your computer to the TiVo.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #3974
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
1. As mentioned, push requests go through the mind server. This doesn't involve pyTivo working, though; it's just waiting.

2. If you're pushing something that needs to be remuxed to MP4, that's done before the request is sent, because it takes two passes to make a pushable MP4. (Program streams and transport streams can be built in a single pass, so they're done concurrently with the transfer.) If you actually see CPU and disk activity, this is probably the reason.

3. Once they do start, push transfers aren't immediately playable the way pulls are. This is because the push mechanism was designed originally for transfers of podcasts (TiVoCasts) over the Internet, which TiVo assumed could be slow, and I believe they didn't want the user experience to involve a lot of starts and stops (the stereotypical "buffering" situation).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #3975
tluxon

Quote:
You'll also note that I added originalAirDate and time entries. If you choose to do so, DO NOT USE A time ENTRY PRIOR TO 1970! YOUR TiVo WILL CRASH!
I'm archiving several series and some movies from the 60's. Why will these dates make the TiVo crash and is there a decent workaround for it?
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #3976
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
I'm archiving several series and some movies from the 60's. Why will these dates make the TiVo crash and is there a decent workaround for it?
Unless you enter it by hand or are using a modified metadata generator (as I am), you don't need to worry about it. It's not the originalAirDate that is the problem. It is the date/time of the actual recording. That is what the "time :" entry in the metadata controls. If you don't have an entry for it in the metadata, it will default to the actual date/time of the transfer to the TiVo.

I suspect that what is happening is that the TiVo is using some fixed date to calculate a value for sorting purposes and that a negative result generates an arithmetic error in the CPU and, as is typical with TiVo s/w, there is no error handling

Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #3977
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
I suspect that what is happening is that the TiVo is using some fixed date to calculate a value for sorting purposes and that a negative result generates an arithmetic error in the CPU and, as is typical with TiVo s/w, there is no error handling
Most likely the Unix Epoch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time#Definition
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #3978
newsposter
Poster of News

i have a friend that thinks the whole pytivo thing is neat...but she has Dish...is there any way to put programs on a Dish receiver with pytivo or a program like it?

i remember when i had directv i could use tversity with their receivers.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #3979
tjtv

I recently installed the new version of pytivo that allows pulling h264 files directly. It really works great, many thanks for all your hard work. Pulling is much more user friendly than the old push method that was required.

I am running pytivo on a pogoplug. The pogoplug has a very underpowered ARM CPU, which is no problem for most of my videos since nothing needs to be transcoded. However, some of my files have h264 video/dts audio. The dts audio needs to be transcoded to AC3, and the pogoplug CPU is not powerful enough to do this in real-time.

Does anyone know of a way to speed up the dts -> ac3 conversion process? If I could find a way to make the pogoplug do that conversion in realtime I think I have finally found the holy grail.
tjtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #3980
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
I recently installed the new version of pytivo that allows pulling h264 files directly. It really works great, many thanks for all your hard work. Pulling is much more user friendly than the old push method that was required.

I am running pytivo on a pogoplug. The pogoplug has a very underpowered ARM CPU, which is no problem for most of my videos since nothing needs to be transcoded. However, some of my files have h264 video/dts audio. The dts audio needs to be transcoded to AC3, and the pogoplug CPU is not powerful enough to do this in real-time.

Does anyone know of a way to speed up the dts -> ac3 conversion process? If I could find a way to make the pogoplug do that conversion in realtime I think I have finally found the holy grail.
I am in a similar situation. I have just been using a homemade script to convert the DTS audio when the file is first placed on the storage device so it is ready to use when I want to watch it. I'm working on cleaning it up so I can release it, maybe it will help. I'd like to get the script to where it would scan a folder and convert all files that meet the desired criteria.

As to speeding up your current process, there is not much you can do. You may be able to increase performance very slightly by compiling an optimized FFmpeg binary and using the fixed-point decoder/encoder but it's not worth the time in my opinion.

and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #3981
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
I'll be posting a new version of the latest stable on my FFmpeg post at pyTivo forums in the next couple days if you wish to use that. The version that is already there is still not very old though.

As always there are many variations on premade FFmpeg binaries out there so you can choose one that suits your needs.
It seems that there is a new FFmpeg release (1.1) yesterday so I'll test that instead and upload it soon.

and
for OS X
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #3982
Raver

Ok had to reinstall windows and seem to have everything running correctly until I try to push menu. The commend prompt indicates there is a share problem...but I've got the path of the folder done correctly. I've attached the command prompt and the http://localhost:9032/ images. Any ideas what's going on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (86.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (13.5 KB, 13 views)

Theodore Roosevelt
Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #3983
Raver

If I understand the sharing problem is related to the folder pyTivo is looking for the shared videos? I have c:\videos as the path to share folder.

Alo the command prompt says no movies plug in...

Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by Raver : 01-06-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #3984
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raver View Post
If I understand the sharing problem is related to the folder pyTivo is looking for the shared videos? I have c:\videos as the path to share folder.

There is not a pyTivo movie plugin. Likely you got the share name and the plugin type mixed up.

A generic video share will be described like this in the configuration

[Share Name]
type = video
path = C:\path\to\share
etc....

So yours may look like:

[Movies]
type = video
path = C:\Videos

and
for OS X
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #3985
lpwcomp

Quote:

Post your pyTivo.conf file after removing any sensitive entries, like your password and/or MAK. Your screen shot of the browser display indicates there are no TiVos nor shares defined.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #3986
tjtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
I am in a similar situation. I have just been using a homemade script to convert the DTS audio when the file is first placed on the storage device so it is ready to use when I want to watch it. I'm working on cleaning it up so I can release it, maybe it will help. I'd like to get the script to where it would scan a folder and convert all files that meet the desired criteria.

As to speeding up your current process, there is not much you can do. You may be able to increase performance very slightly by compiling an optimized FFmpeg binary and using the fixed-point decoder/encoder but it's not worth the time in my opinion.
I'd rather not have to run a conversion script as it's just one more thing that can go wrong. I was wondering if there was a way to set a lower quality audio option in ffmpeg that would make the conversion quicker, but I guess that's not possible.

The pogoplug that I have is a B02 model, it has a dual core 700mhz cpu. There is another revision of the pogoplug called E02 which has a single core 1.2ghz cpu. I know that it's not necessarily a scientific measurement but the bogomips rating of the B02 is 2x279, whereas the E02 has a 1150 bogomips rating. I'm wondering if the extra processing power of the E02 will be able to keep up with realtime DTS -> AC3 transcoding. I'm reluctant to spend the $35 on the E02 model without knowing for sure.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #3987
Raver

Quote:
Post your pyTivo.conf file after removing any sensitive entries, like your password and/or MAK. Your screen shot of the browser display indicates there are no TiVos nor shares defined.
[Server]
port = 9032
tivo_mak = *************
tivo_password = **********
tivo_username = ***********
ffmpeg = C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
tivodecode = c:\pyTivo\bin\tivodecode.exe

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
tivo_username = ************
tivo_mak = ***********
tivo_password = ******

[Videos]
path = c:\videos
type = movies

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #3988
tjtv

Quote:
[Server]

[Videos]
type = movies
I'm not an expert, but I think your problem is that it should say type = video, instead of type = movies
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #3989
Iluvatar

Quote:
[Server]
port = 9032
tivo_mak = *************
tivo_password = **********
tivo_username = ***********
ffmpeg = C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
tivodecode = c:\pyTivo\bin\tivodecode.exe

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
tivo_username = ************
tivo_mak = ***********
tivo_password = ******

[Videos]
type = movies
read my post above. The problem is what I described.

and
for OS X
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #3990
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
I'd rather not have to run a conversion script as it's just one more thing that can go wrong. I was wondering if there was a way to set a lower quality audio option in ffmpeg that would make the conversion quicker, but I guess that's not possible.

The pogoplug that I have is a B02 model, it has a dual core 700mhz cpu. There is another revision of the pogoplug called E02 which has a single core 1.2ghz cpu. I know that it's not necessarily a scientific measurement but the bogomips rating of the B02 is 2x279, whereas the E02 has a 1150 bogomips rating. I'm wondering if the extra processing power of the E02 will be able to keep up with realtime DTS -> AC3 transcoding. I'm reluctant to spend the $35 on the E02 model without knowing for sure.
You can use a lower quality audio setting for pyTivo to transcode with but it will not drastically increase your framerate. DTS is a processor intensive codec to decode...and then you add the reencoding to AC3 on top of that.

and
for OS X