TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #3931
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
Gotcha. What is the best way to go about updating to the latest build and leaving everything else as is as much as possible?

I asssume I will have to stop the service, rename the pyTivo folder and install the latest to the same location/ folder name as the old renamed folder. Then I can copy and paste my current .conf file into the new install. Anything I am missing to leave all my settings in place?
The .conf file is not part of the distribution so your current one will not be overwritten when you extract the new version.

There is a config file in the distribution but it is pyTivo.conf.dist and isn't actually used by pyTivo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #3932
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm upgrading to the latest version of PyTivo on my Mac. What version of ffmpeg should I be using with that?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #3933
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I'm upgrading to the latest version of PyTivo on my Mac. What version of ffmpeg should I be using with that?
I'll be posting a new version of the latest stable on my FFmpeg post at pyTivo forums in the next couple days if you wish to use that. The version that is already there is still not very old though.

As always there are many variations on premade FFmpeg binaries out there so you can choose one that suits your needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #3934
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
I'll be posting a new version of the latest stable on my FFmpeg post at pyTivo forums in the next couple days if you wish to use that. The version that is already there is still not very old though.

As always there are many variations on premade FFmpeg binaries out there so you can choose one that suits your needs.
Ah cool! I have the last version 0.8.10. from your site that I got last January. I'll hold off and wait for the new version. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #3935
Iluvatar

Quote:
Ah cool! I have the last version 0.8.10. from your site that I got last January. I'll hold off and wait for the new version. Thanks!
I've uploaded many 'testing' builds since last January. 0.8.10 is what I call my stable build but the current posted testing build 0.11.1 is has been perfectly stable...I suppose I should relabel them.

and
for OS X
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #3936
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I've uploaded many 'testing' builds since last January. 0.8.10 is what I call my stable build but the current posted testing build 0.11.1 is perfectly stable...I suppose I should relabel them.
Are you still posting them here?: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...s-x-t1803.html

ETA: Ah, I see you put it at the end of the thread instead of the beginning with the others.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #3937
Iluvatar

Quote:
Yes. If you look at the note at the top of the post it shows the last time I updated the builds. The links to the builds are further down in that post, a link to my testing build and then below that several links to older builds that some may prefer.

and
for OS X
Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #3938
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yes. If you look at the note at the top of the post it shows the last time I updated the builds. The links to the builds are further down in that post, a link to my testing build and then below that several links to older builds that some may prefer.
Yep. I see it now. What version will the new one be? I want to make sure I get the right one... Will it be posted on the first page of the thread with the older Stable builds?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #3939
Iluvatar

Quote:
Yep. I see it now. What version will the new one be? I want to make sure I get the right one... Will it be posted on the first page of the thread with the older Stable builds?
Unless a new version is released in the next day or two it will be based on FFmpeg 1.01. As always, links to newest versions can be found in the first post.

and
for OS X
Old 12-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #3940
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The .conf file is not part of the distribution so your current one will not be overwritten when you extract the new version.

There is a config file in the distribution but it is pyTivo.conf.dist and isn't actually used by pyTivo.
OK, this is how I did it (as you suggested). Seemed to work fine and mp4's transfer screamingly fast now. However, I now have a couple of issues that I could use help on:

Now, m2ts and ts files (1080/24p video, 448k/5.1 ac3 audio) will not push or pull, although ts = on is in my configuration; which they would push and pull before the upgrade. Now, on pulls of these types of files the tivo says "start playing" but the light on the premiere never comes on and even after many minutes, it is still at the very beginning of the program stating "getting more of the show". On pushes, it never actually starts the transfer, although I noticed it did create a temp file from my m2ts file.

Also, on my Tivos, the name of my share (Video Collection) is greyed out with an exclamation point next to it, although I can still select it as usual and view and transfer my files (other than m2ts and ts files). Perhaps I should set zeroconf to "true"? (edit: that did nothing)

Any suggestions on where I went wrong?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 12-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #3941
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Now, on pulls of [.m2ts] files the tivo says "start playing" but the light on the premiere never comes on and even after many minutes, it is still at the very beginning of the program stating "getting more of the show". On pushes, it never actually starts the transfer, although I noticed it did create a temp file from my m2ts file.
If they pulled OK before you upgraded pyTivo, and not now, then I assume that pyTivo is now passing them through as OK, but the TiVo is choking on them. Try marking the container as bad in the metadata, so that pyTivo will remux them -- add a line like "Override_container: foo".

The push issue just sounds like the typical flakiness from the mind server, unrelated to the pull issue, and not actually dependent on the file type.

Quote:
Also, on my Tivos, the name of my share (Video Collection) is greyed out with an exclamation point next to it
And this is new behavior? If so, maybe try rebooting your router, then the TiVo if that doesn't fix it.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #3942
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Quote:
Also, on my Tivos, the name of my share (Video Collection) is greyed out with an exclamation point next to it, although I can still select it as usual and view and transfer my files (other than m2ts and ts files). Perhaps I should set zeroconf to "true"? (edit: that did nothing)
And this is new behavior? If so, maybe try rebooting your router, then the TiVo if that doesn't fix it.
This is because of the fall update to the Premiere s/w.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #3943
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
If they pulled OK before you upgraded pyTivo, and not now, then I assume that pyTivo is now passing them through as OK, but the TiVo is choking on them. Try marking the container as bad in the metadata, so that pyTivo will remux them -- add a line like "Override_container: foo".

The push issue just sounds like the typical flakiness from the mind server, unrelated to the pull issue, and not actually dependent on the file type.

I'll need a bit more info. Am I assuming I need to edit the metadata.py file? Where should that line be added?

After a couple of reboots of everything, I got my "computer"icon back and no greyed out share---but the m2ts and ts behavior persists...one step at a time? I could always live with it as is, but it is weird to lose a feature I loved a few days ago. Aren't computers fun?

By the way, pushes are OK now that the (!) is gone.... weird...but pulls are the same as before, so your theory of them being unrelated is correct.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 12-25-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #3944
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
This is because of the fall update to the Premiere s/w.
Yes, I know, but that was weeks ago. I said "new". I was trying to determine if he actually saw this change since upgrading pyTivo (unlikely to be more than a coincidence, but I wanted to rule it out).

Quote:
Am I assuming I need to edit the metadata.py file?
No. Have you never used metadata text files with pyTivo?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #3945
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Yes, I know, but that was weeks ago. I said "new". I was trying to determine if he actually saw this change since upgrading pyTivo (unlikely to be more than a coincidence, but I wanted to rule it out).

No. Have you never used metadata text files with pyTivo?
Yes, this change only ocurred toady after the upgrade of pyTivo and my tivos were updated a couple of weeks ago to the latest tivo sw. Nothing else has changed.

yes, I use metagen for metadata and I added that line to the meta text file with no effect.

Also seems that pushes through vidmgr also choke on this type of file now (mpg, mp4, vob still work fine) but still tries to create the pytivo temp file for the file; size reports as 0 bytes. This all worked fine before the upgrade today. However, pushes from the pyTivo console still works with these files (as stated above).

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 12-26-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #3946
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You don't need to use anything for metadata; it's just a text file, and you only need the one line. In fact, I'd suggest putting just that one line in a "default.txt" in a folder with the problem files.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #3947
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
You don't need to use anything for metadata; it's just a text file, and you only need the one line. In fact, I'd suggest putting just that one line in a "default.txt" in a folder with the problem files.
I created a folder in my pyTivo share and dropped in one of the offending files and created the default.txt file as you suggested. It worked.

My only question is if I can still create my normal metadata text files for each video file as usual, or should the line "Override_container: foo" be inserted into each of my usual meta text files at the beginning. Or, does it matter?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #3948
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

default.txt is sufficient. You can do whatever you want for the individual files. The data from both are combined.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #3949
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
default.txt is sufficient. You can do whatever you want for the individual files. The data from both are combined.
Thanks for the input. And, happy holidays!

Given the current state of the process, I can see eliminating vidmgr and streambaby from my world soon.

Thanks for all the work you do in keeping pyTivo an irreplaceable app. I really wouldn't want to live without it.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #3950
cweb

There has been a lot of back and forth in this thread. Since I'm not the brightest bulb, I've become a bit lots as to how we achieve these blazing pytivo pull speeds. Is it possible for someone to summarize this?

First it seems you want to make sure you have the latest ffmpeg build. Then you add an entry to your pytivo.conf file that is "ts=on".

Does the file have to be originally be pulled as a transport stream. In kmttg there is an option to pull the show as a transport stream. Is this the "ts" we are talking about? Can the file be a .tivo or a .mpg2 or does it have to be converted to a mp4?

Usually I catch on quicker, but all of his holiday turkey may have done me in. As usual, all help is appreciated.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #3951
kbgators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
There has been a lot of back and forth in this thread. Since I'm not the brightest bulb, I've become a bit lots as to how we achieve these blazing pytivo pull speeds. Is it possible for someone to summarize this?

First it seems you want to make sure you have the latest ffmpeg build. Then you add an entry to your pytivo.conf file that is "ts=on".

Does the file have to be originally be pulled as a transport stream. In kmttg there is an option to pull the show as a transport stream. Is this the "ts" we are talking about? Can the file be a .tivo or a .mpg2 or does it have to be converted to a mp4?
I have same questions. Please help. Thanks
kbgators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #3952
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post

Usually I catch on quicker, but all of his holiday turkey may have done me in. As usual, all help is appreciated.
The latest ffmpeg(windows builds here, mac builds here) & wmcbrine pytivo releases, and ts=on in pytivo.conf are all required. The file does not need to originally be a transport stream pulled from the TiVo. What is important to the super-fast pull process, however, is that the file contain h.264 video content that the TiVo can playback (level 4.1 or below). It can be stored inside an mkv, mp4, or ts container (and possibly others, I haven't tried). This is the main recent improvement: previously h.264 content would be transcoded to mpeg2 during a pull, now it can be sent without any (slow) transcoding, and since it is significantly smaller than mpeg2, transfers happen very fast. Even if the audio isn't compatible, content starts to transfer virtually instantaneously as transport streams don't need to be complete at the source before sending the first bits out, so pytivo can transcode the audio as it leaves the pc. Pushed content still works as before: If both the video and audio are already in the correct container, transfers happen quickly (once the tivo gets the request from the mind server); if not, they must be transcoded, and/or possibly remuxed into a new file, which can take a measurable amount of time before you can playback the final file on the TiVo.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #3953
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
The latest ffmpeg(windows builds here, mac builds here) & wmcbrine pytivo releases, and ts=on in pytivo.conf are all required. The file does not need to originally be a transport stream pulled from the TiVo. What is important to the super-fast pull process, however, is that the file contain h.264 video content that the TiVo can playback (level 4.1 or below). It can be stored inside an mkv, mp4, or ts container (and possibly others, I haven't tried). This is the main recent improvement: previously h.264 content would be transcoded to mpeg2 during a pull, now it can be sent without any (slow) transcoding, and since it is significantly smaller than mpeg2, transfers happen very fast. Even if the audio isn't compatible, content starts to transfer virtually instantaneously as transport streams don't need to be complete at the source before sending the first bits out, so pytivo can transcode the audio as it leaves the pc. Pushed content still works as before: If both the video and audio are already in the correct container, transfers happen quickly (once the tivo gets the request from the mind server); if not, they must be transcoded, and/or possibly remuxed into a new file, which can take a measurable amount of time before you can playback the final file on the TiVo.
m2ts files also work with the same result. However as you can see in my post above, it did require (at least on my system) a line to be entered into a text file and to reside in the same folder as said file.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #3954
lrhorer

Quote:
This is the main recent improvement: previously h.264 content would be transcoded to mpeg2 during a pull, now it can be sent without any (slow) transcoding, and since it is significantly smaller than mpeg2, transfers happen very fast.
It is of course true it takes less time to transfer a smaller file, but the increase in speed cannot be attributed merely to file size. H.264/MP4 content may be only 30% or so smaller than the same content coded as MPEG-II with about the same perceived PQ, but the files transfer up to 4 times faster.

Quote:
Even if the audio isn't compatible, content starts to transfer virtually instantaneously as transport streams don't need to be complete at the source before sending the first bits out, so pytivo can transcode the audio as it leaves the pc.
The same is sort of true of program streams, if I take your meaning properly. That is to say, as long as the MOOV atom is available, pyTiVo can transcode an MP4 on the fly, even if the file is a PS file. Going from an MPEG-II file to an MP4 is another matter.

Quote:
Pushed content still works as before: If both the video and audio are already in the correct container, transfers happen quickly (once the tivo gets the request from the mind server); if not, they must be transcoded, and/or possibly remuxed into a new file, which can take a measurable amount of time before you can playback the final file on the TiVo.
As long as the source CPU is fast enough, one can start watching the video of a transcoded file immediately. The TiVo measures the transfer rate of the video and forces the user to wait rather than potentially encounter pauses while watching the video as can be the case with pulls. With the old AMD Athlon 64 x 2 CPU on my server, transcoded pushes sometimes encountered halts of a few minutes while enough video buffered for the TiVo to be satisfied there would be no pauses while watching. With the new AMD Phenom II x 6 CPU, this never happens.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #3955
caddyroger

I have a windows 8 pc that I use to download upload programs to my tivo. I download the 6 movies of Star trek last week end and removed the junk form them. I did combine them using videoredo. The total hr was a little over 14 hrs. I use pytivo to upload to tivo but I am not able to to upload more then 6.5 hrs. Would any one know why it not doing more 6.5 hrs?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #3956
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Only way I found to get TiVo compatible captions in DTVCC Transport mux is to re-encode DVD mpeg2 source to mp4 using VideoRedo. I confirmed then I get captions on TiVo that way. ffmpeg doesn't support encoding of 608 captions, so VRD has a big advantage for H.264 encoding in that regard.
Based on this discussion that a few folks had about a year ago, it looks like Dan203 and DanR figured out some way to incorporate what jmemmott was doing with t2sami into VRDv4.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #3957
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It is of course true it takes less time to transfer a smaller file, but the increase in speed cannot be attributed merely to file size. H.264/MP4 content may be only 30% or so smaller than the same content coded as MPEG-II with about the same perceived PQ, but the files transfer up to 4 times faster.
Tivos that can handle H.264 playback accept the mp4 containers as-is. There is no internal remuxing. What you see is just the raw transfer rate of video from PC to Tivo. MPEG2 transfers on the otherhand are actually remuxed again once they hit the Tivo (to whatever proprietary format that Tivo uses, .py or something I believe). I think you have some hacked Series3 machines, so you know what I am talking about. I don't have a hacked machine myself. At any rate, the MPEG2 transfer rate is muddied by the internal processing of the video as it hits the Tivo.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #3958
txporter
One sec, almost done

I am now using wmcbrine's latest version of pytivo that allows for pulls of H.264 files. I really love it. I can now pull TV shows with correct seriesId into folders. I haven't looked into whether or not the shows seriesId needs to be in the Tivo internal database or not. Does anyone know?

Also, I guess that it isn't possible to group items into a new user-defined folder using pull the same way that you can with a push? i.e. Movies folder or some such
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #3959
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Also, I guess that it isn't possible to group items into a new user-defined folder using pull the same way that you can with a push? i.e. Movies folder or some such
Only on a Premiere.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #3960
lrhorer

Quote:
Tivos that can handle H.264 playback accept the mp4 containers as-is. There is no internal remuxing. What you see is just the raw transfer rate of video from PC to Tivo.
Correct. Add to that the smaller file size at the outset and you have a file that transfers up to 4 times faster or a bit more on a THD, especially if it is 720p. Even on a Premiere, it can transfer twice as fast, pegging right up against the 100M Ethernet port limit.

Quote:
MPEG2 transfers on the otherhand are actually remuxed again once they hit the Tivo (to whatever proprietary format that Tivo uses, .py or something I believe).
Actually, it's .ty, short for tystream. No one outside of TiVo seems to know why they call the fail format tystream, but there you have it.

Quote:
I think you have some hacked Series3 machines, so you know what I am talking about.
Yep. Raw tystreams enjoy a similar boost in performance due to the low overhead. It is also why the THD, with its much slower processor, enjoys a much greater gain than the S3 and the S3 more of a gain than the Premiere, but even the Premiere boasts a 2x increase in performance.

Quote:
I don't have a hacked machine myself. At any rate, the MPEG2 transfer rate is muddied by the internal processing of the video as it hits the Tivo.
Indubitably. It is also why 720p streams are impacted more than 1080i streams, although I am unsure of the exact details relevant to the fact the 720p streams transfer considerably slower than 1080i streams of the same bandwidth.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote