TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #3871
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
That happens to me all the time, I found just renaming the file will allow it to transfer. I just thought Tivo was doing copyright checks on the file's name.
I'm afraid I am unable to take this post seriously.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #3872
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
That happens to me all the time, I found just renaming the file will allow it to transfer. I just thought Tivo was doing copyright checks on the file's name.
TiVo Inc. doesn't check the names. The reason changing the name helps is that pyTivo no longer recognizes the file as one that it already looked at and cached the results for, and you're having better luck with the second ffmpeg run. The reason the files are being flagged the first time is that ffmpeg is failing to report their stats back to pyTivo in a timely manner, and the "transfer prohibited by" message is the only way we have to indicate an error.

But why ffmpeg is failing to report, in lpwcomp's case, I have no idea. I can only point out that it's not a general incompatibility between recent versions of pyTivo and ffmpeg, since as I noted a few messages up, I'm now running the very latest versions of both, and I don't have this problem.

It seems to most often afflict people running network-based shares. I usually recommend that they move pyTivo to the same server as the files. But they can also try extending the ffmpeg timeout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #3873
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
But why ffmpeg is failing to report, in lpwcomp's case, I have no idea. I can only point out that it's not a general incompatibility between recent versions of pyTivo and ffmpeg, since as I noted a few messages up, I'm now running the very latest versions of both, and I don't have this problem.

It seems to most often afflict people running network-based shares. I usually recommend that they move pyTivo to the same server as the files. But they can also try extending the ffmpeg timeout.
Not running a network share and setting ffmpeg_wait to 100 had no affect. I can only assume that newer versions of ffmpeg don't work properly under Win2k.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #3874
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I can only assume that newer versions of ffmpeg don't work properly under Win2k.
I think that's a bad assumption.

Why don't you try it manually and see what happens? I.e., "ffmpeg -i filename" in a command window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #3875
lpwcomp

Quote:
I think that's a bad assumption.
Actually, when Igoogled "ffmpeg Win2K" I got links to threads saying exactly that, i.e. ffmpeg was changed a while back so that it no longer works on Win2K and the attitude by the developers is "Why should we support a 12 year old O/S that is no longer supported by MS"

Quote:
Why don't you try it manually and see what happens? I.e., "ffmpeg -i filename" in a command window.
Got a popup with "The procedure entry point _aligned_free could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"

Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #3876
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Why are you using a 12-year-old OS, BTW?

So anyway, this isn't an incompatibility between FFmpeg and Win2k per se, but between Win2k and that specific build of FFmpeg. Based on your quotes, I can tell exactly what thread you were looking at. Notice there's a (hacky) solution there, as well. Or, you could look for a different msvcrt.dll to use; or just a whole different build; or you could build it yourself.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #3877
lpwcomp

Quote:
Why are you using a 12-year-old OS, BTW?
Don't really want to go the Linux route and even if I could afford Win 7, it seems silly to spend that much for an O/S when it represents over 1/3 the cost of a new machine with Win 7.

Quote:
So anyway, this isn't an incompatibility between FFmpeg and Win2k per se, but between Win2k and that specific build of FFmpeg. Based on your quotes, I can tell exactly what thread you were looking at. Notice there's a (hacky) solution there, as well. Or, you could look for a different msvcrt.dll to use; or just a whole different build; or you could build it yourself.
The last option had occurred to me also.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #3878
Soapm

Quote:
Don't really want to go the Linux route and even if I could afford Win 7, it seems silly to spend that much for an O/S when it represents over 1/3 the cost of a new machine with Win 7..
Not to mention, windows went too far with security and built in connections in my view. I see their side since their main audience isn't too technically saavy but they should make it easy to turn all that crap off...

I still use XP for that same reason.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #3879
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Not to mention, windows went too far with security and built in connections in my view. I see their side since their main audience isn't too technically saavy but they should make it easy to turn all that crap off...
I still use XP for that same reason.
What? That makes no sense.

Simply disable the firewall if you don't understand how having a properly configured one is useful.

That and 7 runs much smoother, 8 even more so. Providing it's not wretchedly ancient equipment without much RAM. Once you get beyond 2gb 7 and later offer a much better experience than XP could ever have hoped to provide.

But what's just as easy is spinning up pytivo inside a linux box running in a virtual machine. Virtual Box is one simple and free way to do it.

But for anyone with more than two machines, it's cost-effective to get an Technet license for ~$250 that lets you download and run any of the MS operating systems along with most server and programs. For 'development and testing' purposes, of course. And it's waaaaaay cheaper than paying retail or banging your head against the wall trying to limp along with long-since dead operating system versions.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #3880
newsposter
Poster of News

pushes are working again but why does it say there's no space to transfer when it's only 78% full? then it will give the estimated time it will take to transfer (this minute plus X) then give me the chance to continue and of course i do

i do have most things set to KUID so i guess that is why but still, at 78% thats far from full just to push one show and say it's full

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #3881
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
pushes are working again but why does it say there's no space to transfer when it's only 78% full? then it will give the estimated time it will take to transfer (this minute plus X) then give me the chance to continue and of course i do
Eh? pyTivo doesn't report space or time estimates. Are you talking about some other program?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #3882
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Eh? pyTivo doesn't report space or time estimates. Are you talking about some other program?
on the tivo itself when i try to push it gives me a warning

!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #3883
lpwcomp

Quote:
on the tivo itself when i try to push it gives me a warning
Vidmgr is giving you a warning?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #3884
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Vidmgr is giving you a warning?
i dont know what that is

and now that i think about it, maybe its when i pull. this happened over the weekend and i didnt post it right away

so maybe it's when i pull

but whichever it is, it's asking me if i want to clip or cancel the show and i press ok then it transfers over. my guess is it has something to do with anticipated space usage but with more than 20% free i dont get why

!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #3885
lpwcomp

Quote:
i dont know what that is

and now that i think about it, maybe its when i pull. this happened over the weekend and i didnt post it right away

so maybe it's when i pull

but whichever it is, it's asking me if i want to clip or cancel the show and i press ok then it transfers over. my guess is it has something to do with anticipated space usage but with more than 20% free i dont get why
Oh yeah, that oddity has been around forever, even on a TiVo-TiVo transfer. Sometimes it tells me that if I transfer this show it will not record the show I am about to transfer.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #3886
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Question on .ts files

Converting some of my HD videos to Blu Ray for archiving. AVCHD 1080/24p video with 5.1 AC3 audio @ 448kbps. I am also using a program to shrink the size down and the result is an m2ts file that I am converting with tsMuxeR to .ts files to fix some issues. That file will now push and pull to my S4 boxes via PyTivo. Is there any other reason to take that .ts file and convert to h264 .mp4 (as I was doing) or am I OK leaving them in .ts form?

Pardon my ignorance, but does this have anything to do with the latest update? I could have sworn that I tried this in the past and it would not transfer.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #3887
moyekj

A couple of useful commands that work with mind.py 'dict_request' that may be useful to incorporate into pyTivo:

1. List pending push requests
command = bodyOfferSearch
fields = bodyId, pcBodyId, noLimit=true
Example return (1 push scheduled):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><bodyOfferList><bodyOffer><bodyId>tsn:746000XXXXXXXXX</bodyId><bodyOfferId>tivo:bo.15000371</bodyOfferId><duration>72</duration><encodingType>mpeg2ProgramStream</encodingType><levelOfDetail>low</levelOfDetail><offerId>tivo:of.bs.15000371</offerId><partnerId>tivo:pt.3187</partnerId><pcBodyId>tivo:pc.1001087441</pcBodyId><publishDate>2012-12-20 14:39:00</publishDate><size>30672896</size><source>Daylight_Sat_Mar_08</source><state>complete</state><title>Daylight_Sat_Mar_08</title><tvRating>nr</tvRating><type>bodyOffer</type><url>http://192.168.10.198:9032/videos/Daylight_Sat_Mar_08.mpg?Format=video/mpeg</url></bodyOffer><isBottom>true</isBottom><isTop>true</isTop></bodyOfferList>
2. Remove a particular push request
command = bodyOfferRemove
fields = bodyId, bodyOfferId
(bodyOfferId value is bodyOfferId obtained from bodyOfferSearch)

Last edited by moyekj : 12-19-2012 at 09:20 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #3888
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
That file will now push and pull to my S4 boxes via PyTivo. Is there any other reason to take that .ts file and convert to h264 .mp4 (as I was doing) or am I OK leaving them in .ts form?
No real reason. Assuming you're using ts = on in your pyTivo.conf:

Code:
         Push                   Pull
.ts      Gets remuxed to .mp4   Passed through
.mp4     Passed through         Gets remuxed to .ts
The big difference is that ts-to-mp4 remuxing requires creating a temp file, while mp4-to-ts remuxing is done on the fly. So, which format is better depends on how you expect to use the file. I'd lean towards mp4, in that the remuxing (i.e., back to ts, on a pull) basically takes up no space or time; but if you never plan to push that file, it's irrelevant. I personally expect to do a lot less pushing now that we can pull h264, although there are still a few issues to resolve.

(Without ts = on, both formats would be reencoded in a pull.)

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but does this have anything to do with the latest update?
Yes. Well, if you mean, transferring it without reencoding. It should always have been possible to transfer it. On the other hand, sometimes ffmpeg will choke on reencoding something where it might be OK with remuxing it, or vice versa. I dunno.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #3889
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
pyTivo doesn't recode to h.264, though.
But it might be nice if it did H.264 recode on the fly for non-complaint stuff, instead of MPEG-2, to save space on the TiVo.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #3890
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
But it might be nice if it did H.264 recode on the fly for non-complaint stuff, instead of MPEG-2, to save space on the TiVo.

Dan
That may require more processing power than the average system can handle for real time or better encoding to H.264 depending on the encoding output specs and the input video.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #3891
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
What? That makes no sense.

Simply disable the firewall if you don't understand how having a properly configured one is useful. .
Wasn't talking about the firewall, I was referring to other security/customization features in the OS itself.

But one mans trash is another mans treasure...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #3892
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That may require more processing power than the average system can handle for real time or better encoding to H.264 depending on the encoding output specs and the input video.
Yeah, a bit. My testing with 1080i h.264/MP4 files recoded from MPEG-II files originally recorded by the TiVos came up with a bit slower than real time transfers with a dual core 2.8GHz AMD Athlon 64. That's not exactly a race horse any more, but many people use slower processors than that for their pyTivo server. Any 4 core or especially 6 or 8 core prcessor should have no problem. Oddly enough, even the dual core could recode 1080p24 BluRay rips recoded to h.264 using Handbrake at just a bit faster than real-time.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #3893
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Oh yeah, that oddity has been around forever, even on a TiVo-TiVo transfer. Sometimes it tells me that if I transfer this show it will not record the show I am about to transfer.
ah ok...didnt happen until i put all my SP on KUID due to unexpected deletions before and also did old shows that i needed saved KUID

so it's definitely related to that in my case at least.

!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #3894
lew

I know it's obvious to most posters but for the benefit of the few...transfer and encoding rates can be affected by other programs running. Temporarily stop everything, even firewall and AV programs and see if it makes a difference.

Some AV programs hog more system resources then others. Changing your AV program might make a big difference.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #3895
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Some AV programs hog more system resources then others. Changing your AV program might make a big difference.
Like specifically configuring it to ignore files in certain places or of certain types, assuming you know what you're configuring and putting in those places.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #3896
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Like specifically configuring it to ignore files in certain places or of certain types, assuming you know what you're configuring and putting in those places.
Absolutely. First trying running without any AV. If you see a meaningful difference you can then decide if you want to use a different program or can tweak settings with your existing program.

Same thing with your firewall program. If you're very cautious don't surf the web while you're running without AV. Don't run torrent programs...
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #3897
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post

Same thing with your firewall program. If you're very cautious don't surf the web while you're running without AV. Don't run torrent programs...
or just get a fast machine and do it all i admit everyone doesnt wanna go in debt for that but i will verify if you have a good enough machine you can do it all at the same time. i cannot emphasize enough how happy i am with my new machine. tons of tabs open in both browsers,window explorer, 2 torrent programs going, excel open, boinc running etc etc

and not a single hiccup..blazing fast conversions and transfers.

with my old machine some of my issue was FF using about 50 to 70% of resources and when i converted stuff my CPU was at 100C and everythign literally locked up. it was awful

!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #3898
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

There's definitely something to be said for the price/performance and better power management of some newer configurations. Especially if you do something like set it up as a virtual machine server and then put the clients in a VM. You do lose a little overhead to the hypervisor, but not a lot. The upside is you gain better portability if you want to move the whole VM to a different machine. So instead of having to reinstall and set everything up again on new hardware, you just move the VM. Even better, you can get a free version of most hypervisors, so you can go with whichever one suits you.

Just maintain realistic expectations of what runs effectively in as a VM. Running real-time dependent programs like games is probably not a good VM candidate, nor ones that need genuine local access to a video card. That and don't over-commit the machine, especially not if there are time-sensitive programs involved. As in, if you have a DVR recording kind of application being used then make sure you don't bog down the machine with other stuff that'll interrupt it.

Anyway, not to fork the conversation off to another direction, just keep the idea in mind if you're thinking of new hardware...
Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #3899
Dan203
Super Moderator

Got H.264 video fully working in VideoReDo. It still copies the header from the original .tivo file so it only works right now if the source is a .tivo file. However I'm looking into a way to create a TiVo header from scratch so that you can output any file any file to a .tivo.

Although the change we made to our TS muxer will effect all files so if pyTiVo supports properly formatted .ts files then you'll be able to create those with VRD as well. Just be careful about the parameters because the hard coded restrictions are only applied when outputting to the .tivo format.

Should be a new beta in a couple days with these changes.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #3900
quietfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Got H.264 video fully working in VideoReDo. It still copies the header from the original .tivo file so it only works right now if the source is a .tivo file. However I'm looking into a way to create a TiVo header from scratch so that you can output any file any file to a .tivo.

Although the change we made to our TS muxer will effect all files so if pyTiVo supports properly formatted .ts files then you'll be able to create those with VRD as well. Just be careful about the parameters because the hard coded restrictions are only applied when outputting to the .tivo format.

Should be a new beta in a couple days with these changes.

Dan
so does this mean with VideoReDo i can now take my archived media and convert it to H.264 video and push it to my tivo with pyTivo?
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote