TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #3451
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
No processing at all? 720x480 MPEG2 6000kb @ 29.97 fps with MP2 audio 2 channel 192k 48000.
What about using h264? I've got enough CPU on hand (or the time to let it run) to use it. Doesn't that form transfer faster to the Tivo?

Assuming I'll be using pytivo to get it to the Tivo, what file extension to use? mpg, mp4 or what?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #3452
jcthorne

I convert DVD to h264 video and ac3 audio in an mp4 container so that pytivo can push without transcode. Much quicker than MPEG2 and smaller file sizes as well. I use MeGUI for conversion and other uses.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #3453
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
What's the "best" format to use for encoding a DVD video for downloading to a Tivo HD? One that pytivo will be able to transfer without additional processing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
No processing at all? 720x480 MPEG2 6000kb @ 29.97 fps with MP2 audio 2 channel 192k 48000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I convert DVD to h264 video and ac3 audio in an mp4 container so that pytivo can push without transcode. Much quicker than MPEG2 and smaller file sizes as well.
Sorry for the newb question, but I'm just getting into this stuff, and was wondering the same thing. What formats can the TiVo (I've got a new Premiere) play natively without transcoding? The movies I have ripped so far are h264 in MKV. So what is pyTivo doing with a file like that...transcoding it to something else? I played one movie last night, and was a bit disappointed by the video quality, it looked too compressed, although that could totally be due to the settings I used in encoding the movie in the first place, I'm not sure. I'll have to do some tests to figure that out.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #3454
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
Sorry for the newb question, but I'm just getting into this stuff, and was wondering the same thing. What formats can the TiVo (I've got a new Premiere) play natively without transcoding?
pyTivo can push mp4 files with h264 video, ac35.1 or aac 2.0 audio without change if they are IMSA compatible streaming mp4 format.

MPEG2 files with ac35.1 audio also work but are much larger for similar video quality.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #3455
Iluvatar

Also it will quickly convert(remux) any file that contains h264 video into a compatible MP4 file for pushing. Usually only adds 5-10 minutes to the process and you lose no video quality.

and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #3456
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Also it will quickly convert(remux) any file that contains h264 video into a compatible MP4 file for pushing. Usually only adds 5-10 minutes to the process and you lose no video quality.
OK, so does that mean my MKV files (h264) are just being remuxed and not transcoded? That's cool if so.

Then, I think I need to revisit my encode settings. I thought I had set it up for basically a "good as DVD" sort of look, but I was seeing compression artifacts.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #3457
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
OK, so does that mean my MKV files (h264) are just being remuxed and not transcoded? That's cool if so.

Then, I think I need to revisit my encode settings. I thought I had set it up for basically a "good as DVD" sort of look, but I was seeing compression artifacts.
If you are pushing the file, possibly. If you are not running a (very) recent version of pyTivo the file will get rejected by the compatible checking for audio not being AC3 or AAC. At that point your file will be transcoded by pyTivo into a mpeg2/AC3 format.

To avoid this ensure you are running the very latest pyTivo commit. This relaxes the requirements on audio, transcoding only the audio (which takes an insignificant amount of time usually) when it is not compatible.

I can remux a 10GB movie at 900fps (as fast as my drive can read/write the data). If it has DTS audio or audio outside the specs it reduces it to maybe 750fps. Results may vary...

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 04-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #3458
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Good info. Yes, I would assume I've got the very latest version. I only downloaded and installed it about 3 days ago.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #3459
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Slight stuttering on pushes...

I did a quick search and did not find anything on this:

I am using wmcbrine's pytivo install and vidmgr for pushing to my Tivo Premieres. I am consistently getting a slight stuttering during playback while the video is still pushing to the Premiere. This happens with either vidmgr pushes initiated from the Premiere or pushes initiated from the computer. It appears it may be dropping frames during playback. The second the blue transfer light goes off, the video is fine from that point on, it only happens while the transfer is occurring. So far, I have tried with SD mpeg files with AC3 5.1, HD mpeg2 files with AC3 and mp4 files with AC3 and it happens with all of them.

It does not happen with pulls and does not happen if I use streambaby, so I am clueless as to what to do.

Any suggestions?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #3460
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
I did a quick search and did not find anything on this:

I am using wmcbrine's pytivo install and vidmgr for pushing to my Tivo Premieres. I am consistently getting a slight stuttering during playback while the video is still pushing to the Premiere. This happens with either vidmgr pushes initiated from the Premiere or pushes initiated from the computer. It appears it may be dropping frames during playback. The second the blue transfer light goes off, the video is fine from that point on, it only happens while the transfer is occurring. So far, I have tried with SD mpeg files with AC3 5.1, HD mpeg2 files with AC3 and mp4 files with AC3 and it happens with all of them.

It does not happen with pulls and does not happen if I use streambaby, so I am clueless as to what to do.

Any suggestions?
It's a bug with series4 machines. When pushing video the transfers happen at a high rate and apparently taking too many CPU cycles and affecting playback. When you pull or use streambaby those are much lower transfer rates that don't affect playback. Probably only workaround is to throttle the transfer speeds of the pushes through router settings or some other means.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #3461
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I've heard of this but have yet to observe it. Maybe because my Premiere is connected via component? I dunno.

We could add a throttle to pyTivo, I guess. It's just contrary to the spirit of everything we've ever done.

P.S. MPEG2 transfers should be the same speed, push or pull...

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #3462
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I've heard of this but have yet to observe it. Maybe because my Premiere is connected via component? I dunno.

We could add a throttle to pyTivo, I guess. It's just contrary to the spirit of everything we've ever done.

I thought so, but it is definitely there and replicatable. I would hate to see anything throttled, but I can tell you that with an Mpeg 2 HD movie (roughly 10GB), it takes 45 mins or so to transfer and it is there all the way through until it finishes the transfer- both video and audio suffers for that period of time.

I just verified that it does happen on pulls as well. I did not remember that, but it does. I am going to look into it and post back any additional info.

Thanks for looking into it.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 04-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #3463
ncfoster

Quote:

I know from my time on the ReplayTV side of things for years that some degree of throttling was necessary in most cases to keep the machines from crashing. I just experienced a crash when streaming something myself. Might be nice to have the option to throttle if it isn't too time-consuming to add. I'm guessing in little time, the community would have some pretty good guidelines as to what works best in various situations.

Thanks again for all of your work.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #3464
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:

I played around with it this morning and it is definitely happening on the Elite. It seems less noticeable on the Premiere but it is there. Also, I verified that watching any other recorded program on the Tivo exibits the same behavior while the pyTivo push or pull is happening.

I doubt it is relevant, but the router connecting my Tivos is a Netgear with gigabit ports. This might affect the Elite with its gigbit port, but I thought the Premieres only have 10/100 ports. According to the Tivos, my transfers are only 40 +/- anyway.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #3465
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:

This is interesting. I haven't noticed this myself either. I use both my HDMI and component outputs on my Premiere. I don't think I have had many occasions to watch a H.264/MP4 during a push since they upload so quickly though.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #3466
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
This is interesting. I haven't noticed this myself either. I use both my HDMI and component outputs on my Premiere. I don't think I have had many occasions to watch a H.264/MP4 during a push since they upload so quickly though.
I only verified it with mpeg2 video (most of my stuff is still that format for now). I used a couple of tests (first was a movie recorded from HDNet and reencoded via VideoRedo at 10GB file/ 13Mbps avg bit rate). Second was a DVD run through VideoRedo. I will use an MP4 video tonight and also a DVD not run through VideoRedo.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 04-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #3467
cweb

I've noticed any problems on my elite. I use mpeg2 files on a gigabyte network and can even record at the same time. So he problem isn't universal.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #3468
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
I've noticed any problems on my elite. I use mpeg2 files on a gigabyte network and can even record at the same time. So he problem isn't universal.
I'd like more people to verify or disprove this if possible. I have extensively tested it and it is there on all of my Tivo Premieres and the Elite. It runs from annoying to disruptive.

Mpeg2 at higher bitrates causes the most problems and affects even live TV which appears like it is losing frames. However, all mpeg2 videos affect it to some point. I used 1080i recordings from HDNet and other sources as well as DVD video to verify. MP4 does not exhibit the behavior for some reason.

I am using all hard wired connections through a gigabit router/switch.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #3469
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
Mpeg2 at higher bitrates causes the most problems ... MP4 does not exhibit the behavior for some reason.
Interesting. You might want to try transport stream mode -- add this line to the "Server" section of your pyTivo.conf, and see what happens:

Code:
ts = on

Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #3470
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Interesting. You might want to try transport stream mode -- add this line to the "Server" section of your pyTivo.conf, and see what happens:

Code:
ts = on
I did this this morning before work, but did not have time to test before leaving. I'll get back on it later today.

If you don't mind me asking a stupid question, what does this do that may affect this?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #3471
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Uses transport streams instead of program streams for MPEG2. Less work for the TiVo. Normally, to me, that just means faster transfers. But since you say MP4s don't show this effect, and they're in a similar situation as transport streams, I'm wondering if using transport streams will also clear up the noise.

There are some weird bugs with transport streams, so I'm still treating them as experimental. They shouldn't hurt your TiVo or anything though.

Oh, and the transport streams will only work with pulls.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #3472
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:

Code:
ts = on
Good news/ bad news.

First, the good news. This eliminates the playback issue on pulls (and as you stated not on pushes).

Now, the bad news. Every file stops before completing the transfer. And, I might add, at the exact same point in the video on both my Elite and the two Premieres I tested.

I have a an original mpeg2 clip (1GB) that I use to play around with and test with. I started with that. The original 1GB clip is 1080i@ 15.5kbps with DD5.1@ 384k. I have it converted for test puposes at varying bit rates, resolutions and using different containers for mp4 (mp4, mkv, etc.). The original clip stops transfer at roughly 2 minutes into the 8 minute clip. At an avg bit rate of 13k, that clip stops at roughly 5 minutes. At 12K, it stops at 7 mins. The Tivos exhibit the same, consistent behavior- the light on the unit goes out but the blue circle remains on the progress bar at the bottom of the screen with the message "getting more program. please wait..." until you exit the video.

Thinking it might be my file, I tried it on a couple of mpegs (from DVDs) and a 1:35 movie stopped downloading at about 30 minutes in.

Ever see this? Or, is this the strange behavior with transport streams you were talking about?

EDIT: I can also verify this does not happen with transfers using Tivo Desktop (although I never use it any more, but it is still on my system so I launched and tested it), FWIW.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 04-25-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #3473
ncfoster

Just jumping in to say that I am noticing that not only the video being pushed, but even live video, is jumpy at least some of the time while the push is occurring. I don't know if a software change somewhere made this more of a problem, but I don't recall observing this until the last few months. I could be mistaken. It would certainly seem counter-intuitive if enabling the second core created this problem.

I would definitely welcome some settings to attempt to throttle or otherwise manage the problem. Everything in the house is wired for gigabit, so everything that supports it (including the pyTivo server) uses it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get some objective numbers to work with on this?
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #3474
cweb

Have you tried to change you tuner to unused channels (e.g., 0,& 1)? That will free up a lot of TiVo resources.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #3475
Punker1234

HI folks.

I've used pyTivo before, but this is ym second install since 3-4 years ago. For whatever reason, I can't seem to get pytivo to allow me to see my computer so I can push files to it. I have my correct username and password in my config, and I'm able to pull, just can't push. All it says it Push from Video Shares: but nothing after it, no videos section.

Help?
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #3476
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punker1234 View Post
I've used pyTivo before, but this is ym second install since 3-4 years ago. For whatever reason, I can't seem to get pytivo to allow me to see my computer so I can push files to it.
This isn't making sense. "Pushing" has nothing to do with transferring to the PC.

Do you mean push files to the TiVo?

Quote:
I have my correct username and password in my config, and I'm able to pull, just can't push. All it says it Push from Video Shares: but nothing after it, no videos section.
Try posting your config file. Just blank out the password and MAK.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #3477
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
This isn't making sense. "Pushing" has nothing to do with transferring to the PC.

Do you mean push files to the TiVo?

Try posting your config file. Just blank out the password and MAK.
Hi.

Yes, I apologize I mean I'm unable to push videos to my tivo as I can't select the videos on my computer. I've listed my config file below, any help is appreciated!

[Server]
tivo_mak = 17
tivo_password = P
togo_path = C:\Downloads\Tivo
tivo_username = P
ffmpeg = C:\Pytivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
path = C:\Downloads\Tivo

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
tivo_username = P
tivo_mak = 17
tivo_password = P
Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #3478
lrhorer

That's the entire thing? You don't have any shares defined. I'm not sure how pulls are working.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #3479
Punker1234

Yes sir.

Maybe I installed it incorrectly? I never configured the file. I simply loaded pytivo server, went into the web config and added in the fields that was supplied on the Wiki. I'm pretty computer literate, but network stuff always seems to get by me.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #3480
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes sir.

Maybe I installed it incorrectly? I never configured the file. I simply loaded pytivo server, went into the web config and added in the fields that was supplied on the Wiki. I'm pretty computer literate, but network stuff always seems to get by me.
It is not that it is installed incorrectly, but your config file is wrong. "path = C:\Downloads\Tivo" does not belong in the "Server" section and the stuff you repeated under the "Tivo HD" section should only be in the "Server" section. You need to define at least one share. Your config file should look something like this:
Code:
[Server]
tivo_mak = 17
tivo_password = P
togo_path = C:\Downloads\Tivo
tivo_username = P
ffmpeg = C:\Pytivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[Downloads]
type = video
force_alpha = True
path = C:\Downloads\Tivo
The force_alpha = True is optional. BTW, this really has nothing to do with configuring a network.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote