TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #3421
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
20.2 seems to have introduced yet another bug related to closed captions being lost when pulling .TiVo or .mpg files with captions back to a series 4 unit:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...29#post8968329

What's strange is if I force transcoding by pyTivo (I did that by putting "ts = True" in my pyTivo.conf but there's probably a better way) then captions do work OK on the TiVo.
Can anyone else confirm it's happening to you as well?
FYI. The same 2 minute clip I transferred back to Premiere that did not have captions I transferred to my S3 OLED unit with pyTivo and captions worked fine on that unit. So it's confirmed to be a bug for Series 4 units. Not sure when the bug was introduced exactly but I'm pretty sure it used to work with my Premieres a few months ago.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #3422
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
FYI. The same 2 minute clip I transferred back to Premiere that did not have captions I transferred to my S3 OLED unit with pyTivo and captions worked fine on that unit. So it's confirmed to be a bug for Series 4 units. Not sure when the bug was introduced exactly but I'm pretty sure it used to work with my Premieres a few months ago.
Bad news. There will be a lot of clamor about this. Seems like captions are getting hurt badly with this latest software release. I can't really confirm this though since I never bring MPEG2 video with captions back to my Tivo. Hopefully wmcbrine or someone else will be able to confirm for you.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #3423
moyekj

One more related item on this. The 2 minute clip I transferred to my S3 and verified captions were working I then used MRV to transfer to a Premiere and captions did not work when playing back on the Premiere either.

I then just used MRV to transfer a recording made by my S3 unit to a Premiere and verified that captions still worked fine that way.

So it looks like if at any point TTCB (in mpeg2 Program Stream format) is used for a clip the Premiere can no longer display captions properly even though they are present (since S3 OLED works with that same clip).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #3424
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
One more related item on this. The 2 minute clip I transferred to my S3 and verified captions were working I then used MRV to transfer to a Premiere and captions did not work when playing back on the Premiere either.

I then just used MRV to transfer a recording made by my S3 unit to a Premiere and verified that captions still worked fine that way.

So it looks like if at any point TTCB (in mpeg2 Program Stream format) is used for a clip the Premiere can no longer display captions properly even though they are present (since S3 OLED works with that same clip).
Maybe the remux algorithm that is used for 20.2 needs to be updated? It's pretty strange that the captions are still there and still work on older units. I just downloaded a batch of files and pulled the captions out using CCextractor without any issue. But then I hardcode the subs...so I don't have this particular issue.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #3425
moyekj

Haven't tried it yet but I'm guessing if I transfer off Premiere in TS format and then back again in TS format that it will work. I have no love for TS format though since it requires using DirectShowFilter to decrypt it (tivodecode has issues with TS transfers still) and chance of download problems seem to greatly increase using TS downloads.

I haven't yet tried but is wmcbrine pyTivo equipped to handle pulling TS .TiVo files without remuxing to PS container?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #3426
Iluvatar

Quote:
Haven't tried it yet but I'm guessing if I transfer off Premiere in TS format and then back again in TS format that it will work. I have no love for TS format though since it requires using DirectShowFilter to decrypt it (tivodecode has issues with TS transfers still) and chance of download problems seem to greatly increase using TS downloads.

I haven't yet tried but is wmcbrine pyTivo equipped to handle pulling TS .TiVo files without remuxing to PS container?
Just tested and pulling TS Tivo file (not decrypted) and transferring back did not retain captions for the 3 min clip I tested.

I don't believe wmcbrine has implemented the TS pull but the other forks have it (based on lucasnz patch).

and
for OS X

Last edited by Iluvatar : 02-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #3427
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I think the implication there would be that captions are being conveyed by transport streams, but not by program streams.

I'll try to test this later.
I clicked on your "My pyTivo fork" link at the end of your post here and it went to a non-existant page. I tried that because I'm wanting to install pyTivo but can't find the files I need. The pyTivo Wiki points me to your SourceForge page but that just seems to be source code. I did get Python downloaded and hopefully installed. I have kmttg and it looks like it has a way to link to pyTivo (maybe I can add a pyTivo folder in my kmttg folder?). I don't want to run pyTivo as a Windows service, I just want to activate and use as needed. Forgive my ignorance but where are the files I need?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #3428
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I clicked on your "My pyTivo fork" link at the end of your post here and it went to a non-existant page. I tried that because I'm wanting to install pyTivo but can't find the files I need. The pyTivo Wiki points me to your SourceForge page but that just seems to be source code. I did get Python downloaded and hopefully installed. I have kmttg and it looks like it has a way to link to pyTivo (maybe I can add a pyTivo folder in my kmttg folder?). I don't want to run pyTivo as a Windows service, I just want to activate and use as needed. Forgive my ignorance but where are the files I need?
Click on the pytivo windows install help link in my sig.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #3429
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

(Please don't quote me when you're not actually replying to what I wrote.)

Quote:
I clicked on your "My pyTivo fork" link at the end of your post here and it went to a non-existant page.
Works for me, as of just now. Temporary glitch maybe?

Anyway, it's much the same as the other page you found...

Quote:
The pyTivo Wiki points me to your SourceForge page but that just seems to be source code.
Yes, it's distributed as source code. Python is interpreted, so that works out OK.

Quote:
I don't want to run pyTivo as a Windows service, I just want to activate and use as needed. Forgive my ignorance but where are the files I need?
Grab that source code zip, the latest one. Unzip it. Click on pyTivo.py. Voila, pyTivo is running. (You're going to want copies of ffmpeg, tivodecode, and tdcat for most purposes, but you don't need them to start.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #3430
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
(Please don't quote me when you're not actually replying to what I wrote.)

Works for me, as of just now. Temporary glitch maybe?

Anyway, it's much the same as the other page you found...

Yes, it's distributed as source code. Python is interpreted, so that works out OK.

Grab that source code zip, the latest one. Unzip it. Click on pyTivo.py. Voila, pyTivo is running. (You're going to want copies of ffmpeg, tivodecode, and tdcat for most purposes, but you don't need them to start.)
Sorry, I did the quote just so that you would get pinged that you had a new message. I often forget to check my former posts unless I see my name used when I do a search. Anyway, your link did work this time and I guess my old eyes hadn't picked up on the fact that there is a "zip" tab on the SourceForge page. I'm not familiar with Python so I didn't realize that it is an interpreter. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3431
lpwcomp

Quote:
Sorry, I did the quote just so that you would get pinged that you had a new message. I often forget to check my former posts unless I see my name used when I do a search. Anyway, your link did work this time and I guess my old eyes hadn't picked up on the fact that there is a "zip" tab on the SourceForge page. I'm not familiar with Python so I didn't realize that it is an interpreter. Thanks for the help.
I would imagine that he gets notified any time there is a new post in this thread. I know I do. That's because I have my options set to notify me whenever there is a change to a thread to which I am subscribed. Has nothing whatever to do with whether or not I am quoted.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #3432
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Ok, finally got pyTivo installed and the configuration file editted via the webpage. I did not try doing anything else via the web page. Instead, I tied pyTivo into kmttg and tried pushing a .tivo file and a .mpg file. The jobs finished pretty much instantly (not a good sign for 400+ MB files) with no errors in kmttg or in the Python window where pyTivo is running. However, no files actually made it to the Tivo. Help please.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #3433
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The way push works, the actual transfers can start up to several minutes after you initiate it. We can't control that. You should start with a pull from the TiVo's NPL to verify that pyTivo is working. Push is more complicated.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #3434
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
The way push works, the actual transfers can start up to several minutes after you initiate it. We can't control that. You should start with a pull from the TiVo's NPL to verify that pyTivo is working. Push is more complicated.
Ok, I didn't realize that when pyTivo is running that I can see the MyMovies folder in the NPL of my Tivos and get them via a standard transfer. That will actually be more convenient for me because I won't have to change the destination Tivo (I have four) in either kmttg or online and do a push. The current need I have for this capability is that I want to copy some old VHS tapes to a Tivo, change the bogus Tivo assigned name, and then put them back on the Tivo. Looks like this will do it for me. Thanks again.

UPDATE: One thing I should add is that the Tivo is not fooled by the name change to a .tivo file. Apparently it reads the metadata in the .tivo file and goes with that name. To get the name change to stay, I use kmttg to convert the .tivo file to a .mpg file, rename it, and then put it back on the appropriate Tivo.

Last edited by lillevig : 03-04-2012 at 11:08 PM.
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #3435
lpwcomp

Quote:
UPDATE: One thing I should add is that the Tivo is not fooled by the name change to a .tivo file. Apparently it reads the metadata in the .tivo file and goes with that name. To get the name change to stay, I use kmttg to convert the .tivo file to a .mpg file, rename it, and then put it back on the appropriate Tivo.
If you also have kmttg create the metadata file, you can edit it and change it using a text editor.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #3436
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If you also have kmttg create the metadata file, you can edit it and change it using a text editor.
I haven't gotten that deeply into the capabilities of kmttg yet (is there a good tutorial?). Is creating the metadata file possible when transferring a .tivo file without converting it to .mpg?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #3437
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I haven't gotten that deeply into the capabilities of kmttg yet (is there a good tutorial?). Is creating the metadata file possible when transferring a .tivo file without converting it to .mpg?
Not yet... but I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #3438
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes, but I don't think it will do any good. The embedded metadata in the .tivo file will still be used.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #3439
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yes, the .txt file takes precedence over every form of metadata except that which is embedded in a .TiVo file. That's not our choice, it's the TiVo's -- we'd have to decrypt the .TiVo file to get around it. (This is done in the case of a push, or when sending an HD .TiVo file to an SD TiVo.) You may as well just decrypt it up front.

There's no advantage to keeping a .TiVo file, except that the metadata remains attached. Plain MPEG files even transfer faster.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #3440
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
How does one access the "push" feature? I looked around on the Wiki but didn't see any mention of it. Do you "push" the files using Command-line instructions in Terminal or is there a GUI of some sort for that?
The simplest way is to bring up the web page in pyTivo to start the transfer. Since the transfer initiation is web based one can also employ curl or a similar utility to initiate a push. That's what I do here in order to allow myself, friends, and family to select videos to transfer prior to a movie night. There is also a truly excellent HME utility written by Jeff Bernardis named vidmgr. It allows one to initiate push transfers from the TiVo, and employs a UI that is vastly superior to the TiVo NPL.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #3441
emkorial

Just got this up and working, it's sweet!
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #3442
Soapm

I am using wmcbrine fork on a debian headless server. Can someone give me a clue to installing the DVD plugin? I read that this version should work with wmcbrine fork but I have no idea what to do with a .git file.

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine/lucasnz.git

I know with windows I just unzipped the files and copied them into the pytivo directory so this can't be much different??? Can it???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #3443
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I am using wmcbrine fork on a debian headless server. Can someone give me a clue to installing the DVD plugin? I read that this version should work with wmcbrine fork but I have no idea what to do with a .git file.

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine/lucasnz.git

I know with windows I just unzipped the files and copied them into the pytivo directory so this can't be much different??? Can it???
Well, yes, but if you wish you can simply employ his tarball:

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine/...b5d8a65.tar.gz

Git repositories make it fairly easy to update changes to software releases without replacing the entire software suite.

Note that his git does not contain the DVD plugin itself, only a couple of small changes to William's code that reportedly make it work better with the DVD plugin. The plugin itself is here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo_dvdvideo....4615e41.tar.gz
Old 03-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #3444
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post

Quote:
Note that his git does not contain the DVD plugin itself, only a couple of small changes to William's code that reportedly make it work better with the DVD plugin. The plugin itself is here:

This is what I think I was looking for. Does his git make it that much better or will I do ok with just this tar?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #3445
Soapm

Quote:

Not sure what I'm supposed to use in here but I don't want to overwrite my config files so I may pass on this one.

Quote:

This is what I think I was looking for. Does his git make it that much better or will I do ok with just this tar?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #3446
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The DVD-plugin-related changes in lucasnz's fork are just to get it to show up in the Push menu. I eliminated the need for these recently, in a different way. He also has other changes that are unrelated to the DVD plugin and is missing more recent changes from my fork.

I personally have never used the DVD plugin, so I can't really comment on it.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #3447
lrhorer

Quote:
Not sure what I'm supposed to use in here but I don't want to overwrite my config files so I may pass on this one.
I think the plugin works with William's fork. 'Give it a try, if you like. Preventing the config file from being overwritten is trivial, though:

Code:
cd /tmp
tar -xzvf 5391fa1fceae16438abe4752d5fe802a9b5d8a65.tar.gz
cd /usr/share/pyTivo # Or whatever
cp pyTivo.conf pyTivo.conf.sav
mv /tmp/lucasnz/* ./
cp pyTivo.conf pyTivo.conf.new
cp pyTivo.conf.sav pyTivo.conf
That way you have a copy of both the old and new config file with the old one operational.

It's unnecessary in this case, however, since lucasnz doesn't provide a pyTivo.conf file in his tarball. He provides a pyTivoi.conf.dist, which will not overwrite the original config file.

Quote:
The tarball is the whole ball of wax. Git is a developer's tool. I suggest you not worry yourself with its use at this point.

Last edited by lrhorer : 03-26-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #3448
Soapm

Quote:
The tarball is the whole ball of wax. Git is a developer's tool. I suggest you not worry yourself with its use at this point.
Yep, because I don't git it (pun intended)...

Got it working with the tarball so thanks...
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #3449
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

What's the "best" format to use for encoding a DVD video for downloading to a Tivo HD? One that pytivo will be able to transfer without additional processing?

I've got a window program, Any Video Converter Ultimate, that does a pretty decent job of transcoding for other devices. They don't have a profile for Tivo devices but the software has the ability to add them, provided you know all the gnarly details.

I've been using pytivo with the dvd plug-in, and that works a fair percentage of the time. That, combined with AnyDVD to import from discs, handles most discs. But I have a few discs my boy likes that don't seem to want to convert properly (why, is a different question).

I've got the disc space to dedicate to multiple transcodings (ipad, ipod, android, etc) and the CPU to do the work (i7 3ghz) so it's no trouble to do the conversions ahead of time. The question is what specific settings to use? Which video resolution and codec? Which audio format (codec, bitrate, etc) and then which container to hold it all?

Metadata is sure to be an issue, I'd like to make sure it's as complete as necessary for it to show up in the various Tivo screens in a reasonably complete form. I gather pytivo's ability to handle this via an external file might make it easier to get more information to transfer with it. Those questions I'll ask separately.

The goal here being to allow pytivo to transfer the video as painlessly as possible. A lot of this is spread over different threads, over a fair length of time. So I'm not entirely sure what the 'best practice' is with the current setups.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #3450
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

No processing at all? 720x480 MPEG2 6000kb @ 29.97 fps with MP2 audio 2 channel 192k 48000.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote