TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #3391
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yes, pyTivo is for Python 2.x only, now and for the foreseeable future.
Back a number of years ago I wrote some Python code that relied on features in newer versions (2.x at the time), so I used various system calls to check.

A quick glance at the doc pulls up sys.version and sys.version_info. You could (and IMO should) check on startup and error out if you detect Python 3.x.

My problem was a little more complicated because the older 1.52 Python IIRC didn't even support the version info.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #3392
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Back a number of years ago I wrote some Python code that relied on features in newer versions (2.x at the time), so I used various system calls to check.

A quick glance at the doc pulls up sys.version and sys.version_info. You could (and IMO should) check on startup and error out if you detect Python 3.x.

My problem was a little more complicated because the older 1.52 Python IIRC didn't even support the version info.
You mean like this:
Code:
if sys.version_info[0] != 2 or sys.version_info[1] < 4:
    print ('ERROR: pyTivo requires Python >= 2.4, < 3.0.\n')
    sys.exit(1)
The above lines of code were copied from pyTivo.py. They've been there for a while. Why did you assume they weren't in there?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #3393
Raver

Ok now I'm all screwed up and nothing works.....

It seems simple enough to setup but for some reason I'm mucking it all up....

Theodore Roosevelt
Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #3394
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The above lines of code were copied from pyTivo.py. They've been there for a while. Why did you assume they weren't in there?
The response from wmcbrine was one in a series, and I didn't go back and read the full thread. Nor did I read the source.

I assumed that the pyTivo test wasn't there, and perhaps python threw a confusing run time exception. Or perhaps the error message itself was confusing. So that's why I thought that the newbie was confused.

But the message you show above is pretty clear, so, assuming that there's no python run time error from the 2.x source when pyTivo starts, it should have been obvious to the guy with the problem that running on python 3.2.1 wasn't the right way to go.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #3395
Raver

when I click on pytivo file to load up the web configuration the dos prompt wndow comes up but disappears and I can't read what it says.

I've tried both methods and can't get anywhere. Here is the exact steps I''ve used

1. Download & Install Python 2.7 using defaults. http://www.python.org/download/

Then, go to the directory and make a copy of the file pyTivo.conf.dist and name it pytivo.conf. Note the helpful comments throughout this file -- and in particular be sure to put the correct path to ffmpeg.exe (see next 2 steps) in the ffmpeg variable in the Server section.

5. Grab the latest Rdian06 build of FFmpeg for pyTivo: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/download.php?id=323

Which I assume is this file?

6. Extract the ffmpeg.zip and overwrite the old ffmpeg.exe in \<install folder>\bin\ If the directory does not exist, create it. I had to create it.

7. To properly handle .tivo files grab the special version of tivodecode: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/download.php?id=196

8. Drop the tivodecode files into \<install folder>\bin\.

9. If you are using Windows Firewall, add a Windows Firewall exception for UDP 5353 so that Windows won’t block pyTivo’s new zeroconf share announcements. (The most common reason pyTivo shares don’t show up or disappear from the Now Playing list on the Tivo is firewall blockages)

10. Start pyTivo by executing the file \<install folder>\pytivo.py.

11. Now that it's running, point your browser to http://localhost:9032. You should get the pyTivo home page:

my pytivo.conf reads:

C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg
Videos
C:\Users\Xwing\Videos

[Admin]
type=admin
Video shares:
MyMovies

What am I doing wrong now?

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #3396
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
But the message you show above is pretty clear, so, assuming that there's no python run time error from the 2.x source when pyTivo starts, it should have been obvious to the guy with the problem that running on python 3.2.1 wasn't the right way to go.
Problem is in Windows when you launch the .py from explorer if there is an error you get a brief window popup and no chance to see the error. So a "newbie" has to know to open a cmd window and start from there in order to see the error message, which probably most won't know how to do.

Raver, start a "cmd" window and launch pyTivo from there:
cd c:\pyTivo
c:\python\python.exe pyTivo.py

That way you can see the error.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #3397
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Raver, pyTivo is not for everyone. You should really consider TiVo Desktop. But I kind of admire your persistence, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raver View Post
when I click on pytivo file to load up the web configuration the dos prompt wndow comes up but disappears and I can't read what it says.
Open the command window first. Start -> Run "cmd.exe". In that window, type this (change the directories as needed):

cd \pyTivo
\python27\python pyTivo.py

The window will remain open when pyTivo exits, and you'll see any errors.

Quote:
5. Grab the latest Rdian06 build of FFmpeg for pyTivo: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/download.php?id=323

Which I assume is this file?
Um, that's pyTivo, not ffmpeg.

Quote:
my pytivo.conf reads:

C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg
Videos
C:\Users\Xwing\Videos

[Admin]
type=admin
Video shares:
MyMovies

What am I doing wrong now?
Pretty much everything.

Try this one:

Code:
[Server]

[Videos]
type = video
path = C:\Users\Xwing\Videos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #3398
Raver

Thanks for the help and yes it is working, while yes it's more complicated than Tivo Desktop it provides me an avenue that Tivo Desktop doesn't. While I'm not a computer guru I figured if I can build a system I can accomplish this...some hiccups are just part of being in the electronic realm.

So in the future I'll just click on pytio and it should connect.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #3399
Raver

What video formats should I stick to for uploading to Tivo?

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #3400
Iluvatar

Quote:
Anything that FFmpeg can read which is most everything.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #3401
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Let's put it this way, so far, FFmpeg has handled the following for me through pyTiVo:

Matroska (mkv), AVI (xvid, etc), MPG (any), WMV to name a few. It's your choice really -- let your imagination run wild.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #3402
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is there anyone who has gotten "Photos" to work on a Mac and would like to collaborate with me to create an installation guide?

You need to have PIL installed to get it to work, but so far I'm striking out on getting it to even install. I've got two versions of PIL ("Python Imaging Library") the newest one and the one from pyTiVoX. I followed the installation instructions on the new version (double clicked setup) but got nothing but error messages...

If anyone has the know how and is willing to work with me on this, I'd be happy to create an installation guide for future generations. I have contacted PIL support as well. I already understand how to get Video and Music working, but Photos eludes me (primarily because I can't figure out how to install PIL) It would be great to get it ALL working. I know it can't be THAT hard.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #3403
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Here's what I did when I wanted to install it the other day:

1. Googled "python imaging library os x 10.6" (since that's the version on my MacBook Air).

2. Followed this (result #4): http://josh.gourneau.com/blog/2011/0...-snow-leopard/

Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #3404
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Here's what I did when I wanted to install it the other day:

1. Googled "python imaging library os x 10.6" (since that's the version on my MacBook Air).

2. Followed this (result #4): http://josh.gourneau.com/blog/2011/0...-snow-leopard/
Cool. Thank you (again), I'll give it a look. We are going Skiing next week so I might have to tackle that when I return. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #3405
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
For what it's worth, I put up a "pyTivo Setup Tutorial" for beginners over at the pyTivo forum. Hopefully not rife with too many errors.

I'll work on it more when I get back from Tahoe. Thanks again to wmcbrine and Iluvatar for all the help getting me up and running so I could write it.

Here's the link: Installing pyTivo on the Mac for Beginners

Last edited by bareyb : 02-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #3406
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wow... You guys aren't going to believe this... Someone or something over at the pyTivo forum just screwed me royally... Every time I try to edit one of my posts, it deletes it now. Look at the first two posts... all that's left are the attachments... When you go into "Edit" the text is all there, but when you hit "submit" it brings up a blank post with all that text missing... Am I screwed or what????

I hate to say it, but I'm feeling like maybe they don't want me over there...

Would anyone have a problem with me moving the thread over here. This is just such BS... I'm furious....
Old 02-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #3407
windracer
joined the 10k club

Probably just some weird issue with the forums on sourceforge. I doubt this is something personal directed at you.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #3408
Iluvatar

no worries probably just a temporary glitch. The forum software is not the best.

Here is a google cache copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

and
for OS X
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #3409
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
no worries probably just a temporary glitch. The forum software is not the best.

Here is a google cache copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
Yeah. Something's messed up. I'll try to fix it later. In the meantime I was able to move everything to TCF here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...59#post8960459

I like the formatting tools better here anyway. I was able to put the pics inline instead of having to have them all in Attachment Windows at the bottom of the post where they don't relate.

Last edited by bareyb : 02-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #3410
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Alright. pyTivo's website is working again. Not sure what was wrong but I added the posts back a couple of lines at a time and it took. It's fine for now.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #3411
Jebberwocky!

Bareyb, thanks for the inspiration, I installed pvTivo on my PC last night after work, I was up and running in 20 minutes. That was the good news, the bad news was that I deleted my entire directory of my archived TV shows. I should have paid attention when the pop up message said my deletion was too big for the recycle bin! LOL

I was able to pull 5 shows onto my premiere before I screwed the pooch. I was actually surprised that I was able to get it up and running pretty much without incident. that never happens (to me)
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #3412
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
Bareyb, thanks for the inspiration, I installed pvTivo on my PC last night after work, I was up and running in 20 minutes. That was the good news, the bad news was that I deleted my entire directory of my archived TV shows. I should have paid attention when the pop up message said my deletion was too big for the recycle bin! LOL

I was able to pull 5 shows onto my premiere before I screwed the pooch. I was actually surprised that I was able to get it up and running pretty much without incident. that never happens (to me)
Right on. This takes viewing to the next level for sure. Glad to hear it worked out so well! 20 minutes eh? That's awesome and it's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #3413
BankZ

Is there a way to hide folders? For some reason its showing my Recycle.Bin
BankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #3414
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
How does one access the "push" feature? I looked around on the Wiki but didn't see any mention of it. Do you "push" the files using Command-line instructions in Terminal or is there a GUI of some sort for that?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #3415
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post
Is there a way to hide folders? For some reason its showing my Recycle.Bin
It recognizes Unix "hidden" folders whose names start with a ".". Beyond that, I don't think there's anything; that might be something to look into. Meanwhile, my suggestion would be to point the share at a lower-level folder (e.g. "d:\movies" instead of "d:\").

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
How does one access the "push" feature?
Set your tivo_username and tivo_password, and the option will appear on the http://localhost:9032/ main page.

Quote:
I looked around on the Wiki but didn't see any mention of it.
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Push

However, I'm not sure that page is linked from anywhere.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #3416
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Set your tivo_username and tivo_password, and the option will appear on the http://localhost:9032/ main page.

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Push
However, I'm not sure that page is linked from anywhere.
Thanks. Got it. Decided to set up PUSH and PULL so I can add it to the Tutorial...

ETA: Wow. This is REALLY cool... Besides being able to PUSH video TO your Tivo from your computer, you can now you can PULL Movies FROM your TiVo and save them to your Hard Drive. Nice feature! :up

Success! From MAIN pyTivo Web Config page:

Brings up a list of shows on your Hard Drive, ready to push to, or pull from, any of your Tivo boxes. Who knew all this cool stuff was under the Hood!

Last edited by bareyb : 02-25-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #3417
krekeler_eagle

help

I am using pytivo and it works great for uploading from computer to the tivo, but since my computer crashed during a download from the tivo anytime i attempt to use tivo desktop or pytivo on another computer it gives me an error saying that the tivo is busy transfering other recordings. Is there any way to delete those transfers from the computer that crashed?
krekeler_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #3418
krekeler_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by krekeler_eagle View Post
I am using pytivo and it works great for uploading from computer to the tivo, but since my computer crashed during a download from the tivo anytime i attempt to use tivo desktop or pytivo on another computer it gives me an error saying that the tivo is busy transfering other recordings. Is there any way to delete those transfers from the computer that crashed?
reset the tivo and it is all working now
krekeler_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #3419
moyekj

Closed Captions being dropped with 20.2

20.2 seems to have introduced yet another bug related to closed captions being lost when pulling .TiVo or .mpg files with captions back to a series 4 unit:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...29#post8968329

What's strange is if I force transcoding by pyTivo (I did that by putting "ts = True" in my pyTivo.conf but there's probably a better way) then captions do work OK on the TiVo.
Can anyone else confirm it's happening to you as well?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #3420
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I think the implication there would be that captions are being conveyed by transport streams, but not by program streams.

I'll try to test this later.