TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #3211
lpwcomp

If you make the file names of the form series name.SssEee.<whatvever>.<ext>, this will accomplish two things:

1. An Alpha sort will put them in order.

2. You can drag the entire folder to pyTivoMetaThis and it will generate Metadata for every file in the folder.

Even the TiVo does not sort by OAD. The choices are Alpha or record time. I usually put a default.txt file in every folder with time: OAD so that when I pull them to the TiVo, the record time is at least close to what it would have been if I had recorded them on the TiVo when first shown. The only problem is that record time is adjusted to local time so if I leave the OAD as the default yyyy-mm-ddT00:00:00Z, the record time ends up off by a day. If I change originalAirDate to the actual time, that is usually the next day and then OAD ends up off a day. As a compromise, I usually change the OAD so that the time is 23:00:00. That I can do via a mass edit. My only other option would be to edit each metadata file individually and put a time entry with the actual universal time of the original showing.

I realize that the previous paragraph may have confused most people so may be ignored if you wish.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #3212
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If you would like better control and better presentation of your video collection on the tivo, suggest looking at vidmgr. It uses the HMO interface
Actually, it's HME, not HMO. pyTivo employs HMO.

Quote:
to present a much nicer view and then uses pytivo to push the video. For properly encoded video on Premiere units, this happens in better than real time allowing you to essentially watch any video on your server instantly.
He has a TiVoHD. MPEG2 1080i videos will not quite transfer in real time on the THD, and 720p videos definitely will not. SD videos will, and using pyTivo push (with or without vidmgr), h.264 videos in a .mp4 container will transfer much faster than real time. I also would not quite say "instantly". There is a brief pause - up to a minute - before the video starts transferring.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #3213
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If you make the file names of the form series name.SssEee.<whatvever>.<ext>, this will accomplish two things:

1. An Alpha sort will put them in order.
I have four different naming conventions on my server. The first is for ordinary movies. They are simply named:

<MovieName> (Recorded <Day> <Date>, <Channel>).mp[4g]

Example: World According to Garp, The (Recorded Fri Jul 09, 2010, ENCR1H).mpg

The next is for movie franchises. Each franchise is collected into its own directory and all the names start with the same fragment, followed by the number in the series, followed by the remaining name:

<Prefix><Number><Suffix> (Recorded <Day> <Date>, <Channel>).mp[4g]

Example: Star Trek 02 II The Wrath of Khan (Recorded Mon Sep 05, 2011, MAXHD).mp4

Finally, while I don't have many TV series, I do have a few of them. Again, each is collected into its own directory. If it was a series that was not chronologically ordered series, like the original Star Trek, then I just have the series name followed by the episode name:

Example: Star Trek - Ultimate Computer (Recorded Sun Feb 10, 2008 KMYSDT).mp4

If it is a chronological series, though, like ER or Wings, then I add the Season and Episode numbers to the name:

Example: Frasier - S01 E12 - Miracle on Third or Fourth Street (Recorded Fri Dec 25, 2009, KABBDT).mp4

Quote:
2. You can drag the entire folder to pyTivoMetaThis and it will generate Metadata for every file in the folder.
I simply use the metafile created by kmttg when the video is transferred from the TiVo. I run a script against the metafile that adds a metafield whose value is based upon the record date, fixes the duplicates and incorrect names sometimes found in the metadata, and limits the number and type of genres found in the metafile.

Quote:
I realize that the previous paragraph may have confused most people so may be ignored if you wish.
It was a bit breathless, yeah.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #3214
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
When you say date sorted, what date? Original air date maybe? Anyway to sort be original air date?
Yes, if you include the original air date in the name. Alternatively, if you use vidmgr 2.0, you can create a virtual share that sorts based upon any partitular field in the metafiles. If the original air date is in the metafile, vidmgr can sort the share by that value. For example, I have a script create a metafield with a metavalue that is derived from the recording date. The metavalue is created in such a way that the lower the number, the more recently the video was recorded. (This is no longer necessary in V2.0 of vidmgr, since he has included a way to invert the sort, but I don't feel like going back and re-doing all the metafiles.) Here is an example:

Code:
title : Frasier
seriesTitle : Frasier
episodeTitle : Goodnight, Seattle
originalAirDate : 2004-05-13T00:00:00Z
description : During an especially bumpy flight, Frasier tells a fellow passenger about his eventful past few weeks, which are recounted in a long flashback. Niles worries that his child will turn out like Daphne's brothers. Frasier finally gets everyone out of the apartment, and he and Charlotte bid each other a sad farewell. Daphne delivers her son.
callsign : KABBDT
seriesId : SH080939
vSeriesGenre : Comedy
vDirector : David Lee
vWriter : Joe Keenan
vWriter : Christopher Lloyd
recordDate : 11921336
I then created a virtual share that is sorted on the record date, like so:

Code:
[Browse by Date]
values = all
sort = recordDate
The result? I have a share that displays all my videos with the most recently recorded ones at the top. When my family comes over, we often want to see, "What's new?" I also have shares that sort by series, by name, by actor, by director, by channel, etc. Using the example metafile above as a template, with vidmgr all one needs to do to create a virtual share for series sorted by series name and then original air date is the following:

Code:
[Browse by Series]
values = isEpisodic:true,True,TRUE
groupby = seriesTitle
sort = originalAirDate
For more discussions relating to vidmgr, why don't we take it to the vidmgr thread?

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-22-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #3215
lpwcomp

In what way does Star Trek: TOS have no chronological order? Yes, there was some instance of them being show out of production order but so are other series. The standard naming convention of SnnEnn is still relevant.

If what you are saying is that there was no episode to episode continuity, while mostly true, it is not entirely accurate. A particular example is that "Mudd's Women" should be viewed before "I, Mudd".

For the most part, I prefer "pulls" to "pushes" because more of the Metadata is transferred to the TiVo. Whether anyone thinks this is the "wrong way" is entirely irrelevant to me. It's my preference.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #3216
Soapm

Quote:
Even the TiVo does not sort by OAD.
Actually, Da Goon hooked that up a while back so my folders have been sorted by original air date http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...50#post6936250

Quote:
He has a TiVoHD. MPEG2 1080i videos will not quite transfer in real time on the THD, and 720p videos definitely will not. SD videos will, and using pyTivo push (with or without vidmgr), h.264 videos in a .mp4 container will transfer much faster than real time. I also would not quite say "instantly". There is a brief pause - up to a minute - before the video starts transferring.
All the shows I took off my S2DT are still in the Tivo wrapper and they transfer better than anything I've seen to date. I can transfer a 30 minute show in about 10 to 15 minutes which means not only can I transfer real time, I can skip the commercials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer
[Browse by Series]
values = isEpisodic:true,True,TRUE
groupby = seriesTitle
sort = originalAirDate
Why can't this coding be inserted in the pytivo code except sort only with "sort = originalAirDate". I used MetaGenerator.exe to make meta files for all the shows and they all have an original air date.

I tried loading vidmgr a while back and abandoned that exercise as just too complicated for me.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #3217
lrhorer

Quote:
In what way does Star Trek: TOS have no chronological order? Yes, there was some instance of them being show out of production order but so are other series. The standard naming convention of SnnEnn is still relevant.
Not so much. Not only were they aired out of order, but their plot lines were not serialized.

Quote:
If what you are saying is that there was no episode to episode continuity, while mostly true, it is not entirely accurate. A particular example is that "Mudd's Women" should be viewed before "I, Mudd".
Well, since I and everyone I know well enough to invite over to my house have seen every episode of the original series several times, it really doesn't matter in what order they are viewed. With the exception of the solitary two part episode ( "The Menagerie" ), "I, Mudd" is the only episode that has anything more than a momentary referent to any previous episode, and even that is only invested in the character H.F. Mudd himself. What he did in "Mudd's Women" isn't really even relevant to the plot of "I, Mudd", and that episode stands perfectly well all by itself. The singular inter-relationship of that pair of episodes and the somewhat less tenuous link between the pilot episode ( "The Cage" ) and the aforementioned two part "The Menagerie" episode notwithstanding, I saw no reason to bother with episode sorting for that series, nor its first offspring, "Star Trek: The Next Generation". By contrast, series like ER have long strings of well serialized plot sequences involving specific characters in specific, chronological progression.

Quote:
For the most part, I prefer "pulls" to "pushes" because more of the Metadata is transferred to the TiVo. Whether anyone thinks this is the "wrong way" is entirely irrelevant to me. It's my preference.
The features of vidmgr so far outweigh the few advantages of pulls (the more complete metadata being greatest among them) that I cannot recommend the use of pulls in favor of vidmgr. Add to that the fact on the S3 and THD, h.264 videos transfer as much or more than 4x faster than the same video coded in MPEG2 (not to mention the fact the h.264 files take up about 1/3 less space on the server), and I simply don't use the NPL at all, any more.

It's not a matter of "right" or "wrong". It is a matter of which feature set provides the greatest bang for the buck. The only major advantage the pull has over vidmgr is the more complete metadata set. That's a very small advantage compared to the advantages of vidmgr over a pyTivo pull. I never even look at the metadata on a file I have transferred from the server, nor do I expect most people do.

I do frequently make use of the push feature in the pyTivo web utility.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-22-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #3218
lrhorer

Quote:
All the shows I took off my S2DT are still in the Tivo wrapper and they transfer better than anything I've seen to date. I can transfer a 30 minute show in about 10 to 15 minutes which means not only can I transfer real time, I can skip the commercials...
The container doesn't really make any difference to the transfer speed. Any .TiVo file will transfer at just about precisely the same speed if it is converted to .mpg. The .TiVo file is just a .mpg file with some simple encryption and some metadata added to it. SD video will indeed transfer just fine at better than real-time on the THD.

HD content, OTOH, will not. Even moderately low bandwidth 1080i MPEG2 material will usually take a bit longer to transfer to the TiVo HD than it does to watch, resulting in pauses if one starts to watch immediately. High bandwidth 1080i and especially 720p material hasn't a chance of transferring at real time on a THD. By comparison, if that 720p material is re-coded to h.264, then not only will it use up about 1/3 less space on the server, but a 30 minute 720p video will transfer to the TiVo using the pyTivo push utility in about 10 minutes. A 30 minute SD video coded as h.264 will transfer in less than 5 minutes.

The down side is transferring h.264 files via pyTivo pull takes a long time, so any h.264 files are probably limited to pushes only.

Quote:
Why can't this coding be inserted in the pytivo code except sort only with "sort = originalAirDate". I used MetaGenerator.exe to make meta files for all the shows and they all have an original air date.
pyTivo works very differently from the way vidmgr does. It would no doubt be possible for pyTivo to inspect the metafile for keys to sort the data, but it does not. You could certainly request such a feature.

Quote:
I tried loading vidmgr a while back and abandoned that exercise as just too complicated for me.
Since you just accomplished hacking a TiVo, I assure you it is not. Especially if you move forward with that Linux server, adding HME for Python and vidmgr are quite easy, although vidmgr has a *TON* of configurable features, so figuring out which ones you want to implement can take a while.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:46 AM   #3219
lpwcomp

You are correct in that it isn't right or wrong. It is also not a matter of "bang for the buck". It is a matter of personal preference. I could not care less what you recommend. The way you do it is the best way - for you. The way I do it is better - for me. For one thing, most of what I have on my computer is neither MP4 nor MPG. For another, I sometimes like to start watching something immediately. Can't do that with a push.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #3220
lpwcomp

Quote:
Actually, Da Goon hooked that up a while back so my folders have been sorted by original air date http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...50#post6936250
Ok. I guess I should have said an "Unmodded TiVo".

Quote:
Well, for starters, it isn't code. It is entries that you place in the hmeforpython ini file. I suspect that the "code" tag was simply used to distinguish it from the text of the post.

Could this feature be implemented in pyTivo? Probably. Is it a simple matter of copying the actual code from vidmgr and inserting it into pyTivo? Um, no.

Quote:
I installed it a couple of hours ago. Just doesn't do it for me. If I were going to use it, I would definitely need a different skin for it. I switched to the blue because the original skin kept making want to say "Isn't that a lovely window treatment."

Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #3221
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Actually, it's HME, not HMO. pyTivo employs HMO.

You are of course correct, I get my HMs crossed.....

Funny on the delay. I have never seen that. By the time I navigate from the vidmgr menu to my shows, its already transferring and ready to watch from the begining. Watching pytivo in the console window, the delay while it communicates with mind.tivo.com is only a few seconds at worst, usually instant. The transfer to the tivo starts as soon as the mind.tivo.com exchange is complete....unless mind.tivo.com is down or I am having a network issue.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #3222
jcthorne

Quote:
You are correct in that it isn't right or wrong. It is also not a matter of "bang for the buck". It is a matter of personal preference. I could not care less what you recommend. The way you do it is the best way - for you. The way I do it is better - for me. For one thing, most of what I have on my computer is neither MP4 nor MPG. For another, I sometimes like to start watching something immediately. Can't do that with a push.
Actually, yes, a push can. That is why vidmgr works. It presents all the metadata for display, more data than pytivo can display in the NPL, along with cover art and allows choosing a show to watch. For large collections, it provides vell structured menus and folders. Once selected, you got to My Shows, your selected show is there to watch. Now. Again, this only works for properly encoded files but it works very well. Well enough to make it worth having the shows in the correct format.

Oh, and yes, the default skin is not for me either but it was very easy to change to one of my own creation. THey are just static graphics files. You can even use ones very similar to tivo's own if you wanted.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #3223
lpwcomp

Quote:
Actually, yes, a push can. That is why vidmgr works. It presents all the metadata for display, more data than pytivo can display in the NPL, along with cover art and allows choosing a show to watch. For large collections, it provides vell structured menus and folders. Once selected, you got to My Shows, your selected show is there to watch. Now. Again, this only works for properly encoded files but it works very well. Well enough to make it worth having the shows in the correct format.
Aye, there's the rub. Most of the files on my PC aren't "properly encoded". One of the advantages of pyTivo over the way I was doing it before (convert to mpg using Videora TiVo converter, then using Tivo's s/w to d/l) is that I don't have to re-encode them. What I would really like is a faster processor but I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

I have been pushing at least one show to the THD but vidmgr doesn't really buy me anything. The TiVo I would initiate the push from is @10' from my computer. I just have to turn around to access it. Unless there is a way to push from one TiVo directly to another, vidmgr doesn't help me.

Can't we just leave it as a point of personal preference? Must I hire some woman to run in and throw a sledge hammer at the screen?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #3224
lrhorer

Quote:
Funny on the delay. I have never seen that. By the time I navigate from the vidmgr menu to my shows, its already transferring and ready to watch from the begining.
Definitely not here. I just queued a transfer of a .mp4 video from the server to one of my S3 TiVos. It was 41 seconds before the video started transferring to the TiVo.

Quote:
Watching pytivo in the console window, the delay while it communicates with mind.tivo.com is only a few seconds at worst, usually instant.
Agreed. The delay is almost always after mind.tivo.com responds back to pyTivo. I don't think I have ever seen it take less than 10 sxeconds, but OTOH, if the server is up at all, I've never seen it take much more than 60 seconds.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #3225
lrhorer

Quote:
Aye, there's the rub. Most of the files on my PC aren't "properly encoded".
If by "properly encoded", you mean h.264 in a .mp4 container, then neither are most of mine, at least not yet. If you mean in a format the TiVo can understand without transcoding, then the vast majority of mine are. Mostly, the only exceptions are my DVDs, but then SD material transcodes very quickly, so it is not an issue. For the rest there is a very simple solution. 'Simply fire up VideoRedo V4's batch manager, select a few dozen (or hundred) videos to recode to h.264, and let 'er rip.

Quote:
One of the advantages of pyTivo over the way I was doing it before (convert to mpg using Videora TiVo converter, then using Tivo's s/w to d/l) is that I don't have to re-encode them.
True, and until one gets around to re-coding the material, it can be nice that pyTivo can transcode on the fly. This is true whether one pulls or pushes, however.

Quote:
I have been pushing at least one show to the THD but vidmgr doesn't really buy me anything.
This is simply not true. You may not require the features offered by vidmgr, but suggesting they do not exist is disingenuous.

1. Vidmgr sports 14 lines of video title compared with 8 in the NPL, and they are 54 characters wide, compared with 31 in the NPL.

2. It includes the description text on the very same page with the title. 'No need to drill into the title.

3. Vidmgr offers a far greater amount of information concerning the video, and it can be formatted and filtered to the user's taste.

4. It requires far fewer keystrokes to get where one wishes. Not only is far less drilling into additional menus required, but the ability to jump 10%, 20%, 30%, etc of the way down the list can save dozens or even hundreds of keystrokes, not to mention a vast amount of time.

5. The addition of virtual shares allows one to sort, format, and filter the contents of the real shares in a vast array of different ways. Group by the year the movie was made? 'Piece of cake. Show all the movies with a particular actor, director, or producer? 'A mere bag of shells. Sort by original air date? 'A trifle.

6. Custom backgrounds and other skin features.

7. Cover art.

8. Vastly faster transfers and significantly smaller videos when encoded as h.264.

Quote:
Can't we just leave it as a point of personal preference?
It is a matter of personal preference whether you take advantage of the advanced features offered by vidmgr. It is not a matter of personal anything that those features exist.

Let's take this over to the vidmgr thread, shall we?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #3226
lrhorer

Quote:
Now. Again, this only works for properly encoded files but it works very well. Well enough to make it worth having the shows in the correct format.
Um, no, pyTivo will happily push a video in any format, transcoding it on the fly, just as it will any pull. The increased speed, especially on a TiVo HD is well worth the trouble of recoding the videos, and saving 30% on disk space on the server is nothing at which to sneeze, either.

Quote:
Oh, and yes, the default skin is not for me either but it was very easy to change to one of my own creation. THey are just static graphics files. You can even use ones very similar to tivo's own if you wanted.
Again, we should take discussions specific to vidmgr over to that thread. I've posted some screenshots using some simple custom skins there.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #3227
lpwcomp

By all means, take your "discussion" to the vidmgr thread. I won't be joining you. Your opinion that vidmgr is superior in all ways is just that, your opinion. It is not an objective evaluation.

I was hardly being "disingenuous";vidmgr doesn't get me anything that I need. I like the additional metadata you get on the TiVo with a pull. I like not having to convert everything but still be able to start watching it before the transfer is complete.

Do I like some of the features of vidmgr? Absolutely. But for me, those features are outweighed by the differences between a pull and a push.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #3228
lrhorer

Quote:
By all means, take your "discussion" to the vidmgr thread. I won't be joining you. Your opinion that vidmgr is superior in all ways is just that, your opinion. It is not an objective evaluation.
It most certainly is. Vidmgr offers no fewer than 8 important features not found in the NPL or pyTiVo's web utility. By comarison, the NPL only allows for more in-depth metadata after transfer, but severely limited metadata prior to transfer. Unless I have forgotten how to count, 8 is a lot more than 1. Not only that, but I argue the features themselves are much more important to most people than the one partial advantage of the pull. You seem to have a real woody for pulling up the metadata on a video you just transferred yourself to the TiVo. Are you not able to remember what it is you just transferred? (BTW, this is just as easily done by pulling up the metadata in vidmgr, rather than on the TiVo, and having done so you would have access to much more information than that transferred by the pull.)

Quote:
I was hardly being "disingenuous";vidmgr doesn't get me anything that I need. I like the additional metadata you get on the TiVo with a pull.
You said that. I acknowledged it.

Quote:
I like not having to convert everything but still be able to start watching it before the transfer is complete.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? This is not an advantage of pulls. We've told you that, more than once.

Quote:
Do I like some of the features of vidmgr? Absolutely. But for me, those features are outweighed by the differences between a pull and a push.
It is not "differences". It is a single difference on the side of pushes not available with pulls. One. Not two. Not several. One. Somewhat more extensive metadata. That's it. It isn't even a whole difference, since some metadata is transferred with the push, and since the pull does not transfer all the metadata, either.

Pulls, OTOH, offer several advantages over pushes, even without the advantages of vidmgr:

1. Native h.264 support with vastly faster transfers.

2. The ability to create folders on the TiVo.

3. The ability to queue transfers from locations other than the receiving TiVo.

Meanwhile, please explain to me how this:

is superior to this:

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-24-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #3229
lpwcomp

Quote:
It most certainly is. Vidmgr offers no fewer than 8 important features not found in the NPL or pyTiVo's web utility. By comarison, the NPL only allows for more in-depth metadata after transfer, but severely limited metadata prior to transfer. Unless I have forgotten how to count, 8 is a lot more than 1. Not only that, but I argue the features themselves are much more important to most people than the one partial advantage of the pull. You seem to have a real woody for pulling up the metadata on a video you just transferred yourself to the TiVo. Are you not able to remember what it is you just transferred? (BTW, this is just as easily done by pulling up the metadata in vidmgr, rather than on the TiVo, and having done so you would have access to much more information than that transferred by the pull.)
Features important to you. NOT TO ME. Do you not understand that? Why do you have this overwhelming need to have everyone agree with you?

Quote:
Are you being deliberately obtuse? This is not an advantage of pulls. We've told you that, more than once.
You cannot start watching a pushed program until it completes transfer unless it is in a compatible format. You have been told that repeatedly. It just doesn't get impinged on your memory since it doesn't affect you and thus isn't a valid consideration.

Quote:
It is not "differences". It is a single difference on the side of pushes not available with pulls. One. Not two. Not several. One. Somewhat more extensive metadata. That's it. It isn't even a whole difference, since some metadata is transferred with the push, and since the pull does not transfer all the metadata, either.
As noted above, that is at least two differences. Want another one? OK. Pulled shows are grouped with shows in the same series that were recorded by the TiVo. Pushed ones are not. Also, even if there is no recorded episode, if the series is currently being shown, the "Explore this show/program" option is available.

Quote:
Pulls, OTOH, offer several advantages over pushes, even without the advantages of vidmgr:
1. Native h.264 support with vastly faster transfers.
Very little of what I have is in h.264 or any other natively supported format.

Quote:
2. The ability to create folders on the TiVo.
Works for pulls also, on a Premiere. Well, at least on my Premiere. Just to be clear, I am talking about pulling different files which have the same made up seriesID in the metadata and having them grouped together(i.e., in the same "folder") in the Premiere VPL.

Quote:
3. The ability to queue transfers from locations other than the receiving TiVo.
As I said, this isn't an advantage for me since the TiVo from which I would be initiating the push is co-located with my computer. Since you can't push directly from one TiVo to another, it is far easier for me to do it via kmttg.

Quote:

is superior to this:
When did I make any such claim? You are the one touting the absolute superiority of vidmgr for everyone in all circumstances. And guess what? Since I have installed vidmgr (or did you not notice that?), both are an option for me. And, at least on the THD, the former is easier to get at. On the Premiere, I am using the HD menus so there is very little of the metadata available unless I switch to the SD menus or I transferred a .tivo file.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #3230
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:

... TiVo image ...
is superior to this:
... vidmgr image ...
I can easily read TiVo text from the couch across the room. The vidmgr text looks more like a bad eye test.

Hopefully it's configurable for a larger font.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #3231
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I can easily read TiVo text from the couch across the room. The vidmgr text looks more like a bad eye test.

Taste great... Errr... Mines is bigger... I forget which discussion this is...???
Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #3232
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Hoping that this will the last post I make about vidmgr in this thread.

As far as I can tell, the only text whose size can be changed is the description text that appears in the upper right when the cursor is on a file It is changed via a "descsize=nn" entry in the ini file. The default size is 20.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #3233
bgc

How do you get pushed .tivo files to show the date the program was recorded on instead of the date the file was pushed in the NPL of the Tivo?

I've got some .tivo files that won't go into proper groups unless they are pushed, but they all show the same date instead of the date each was recorded on.

Thanks
bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #3234
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't think it's possible to control the date on a push, sorry. (Or rather... it's probably possible, but we don't know how.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #3235
bgc

Ok. Is it possible to force .tivo files into groups when the file transfer from pc to Tivo is requested from the NPL on the Tivo itself?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #3236
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Grouping of .tivo files is done based on their internal seriesIds. If they're not grouping, it's because the seriesId record has expired, or was never present.

Recently some people have claimed that even a pull will group on an arbitrary, invalid seriesId, at least with some recent version of the TiVo software. I haven't tried to reproduce that yet. If you want to try that, you'll have to decrypt the .tivo files to plain .mpg first, then make appropriate metadata files for them -- the metadata within a .tivo file will override what the HMO server reports, so you can't use external pyTivo-style metadata files to override the seriesId within the .tivo files. Alternatively, you could decrypt the .tivo files, then rebuild them with new metadata. (I don't recommend this and I'm not going to explain how to do it.)

However, if the group-on-pull-of-invalid-seriesId were true for your system, I have to assume you'd be seeing it already anyway, since a seriesId that wasn't in the cache should be treated the same as an invalid one. Shouldn't it? I'd think so, but like I say, I haven't explored this.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #3237
Soapm

I have some ISO files stored on my computer. Anyway to stream them directly to the Tivo or do I have to convert them to another format first.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #3238
bgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Recently some people have claimed that even a pull will group on an arbitrary, invalid seriesId, at least with some recent version of the TiVo software. I haven't tried to reproduce that yet. If you want to try that, you'll have to decrypt the .tivo files to plain .mpg first, then make appropriate metadata files for them

Is it possible to use tivodecode to decrypt .tivo files already on the pc or does it only work when pulling files from the Tivo?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #3239
innocentfreak

I have noticed that my shows have stopped grouping when pushing. After researching it a bit, I found that theTVDB is now changing all the zap2it ID #'s from the SH# to the EP# that zap2it has on their webpage.

Would this be the reason?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #3240
Iluvatar

Quote:
I have some ISO files stored on my computer. Anyway to stream them directly to the Tivo or do I have to convert them to another format first.
I suppose you could mount the image first. If it contains individual video files you can point a pyTivo share at the drive/folder where it is mounted. If it is a DVD image you could use the lucasnz pyTivo fork coupled with his dvdvideo plugin to view the DVD on your TiVo without conversion.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote