TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #3181
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonman View Post
Thanks. I just grabbed the pyTivo from the link in your signature and installed that over my current installation. It seems to work now. I must have done the previous installation incorrectly and been running an older version than I thought I was running, but since it was working with my Tivo HD, I had no reason to investigate.

Is there any way to see the version number or build date of the running instance of pyTivo? I don't see anything in the output on the console or in the Web configuration page that gives any clue. It would be nice to see a version number or build date somewhere.

Now I really feel dumb, I never thought to look at the links in his signature.

"An implementation of TiVo's HME (Home Media Extensions) protocol"
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #3182
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
I'm not sure I understand this. I start pyTivo through the start menu, not the command line.
Try it from the command line. In the mean time, there must be a command line option in the shortcut you are using. What is it?

Quote:
What is stdout?
It is the default output stream for all messages from a foreground session. Stderr is the default output stream for all error messages (if separate from stdout) from a foreground session.

Quote:
Is a separate log file supposed to be generated and put in the pytivo folder?
Not unless you are re-directing stdout and perhaps stderr to such a file, although it doesn't particularly have to be in the pytivo folder. I re-direct mine to /var/log/pytivo.log. Without knowing the command line, we can't really tell one way or the other whether your stdout and stderr are being redirected. One would not ordinarily expect so, but then one would definitely expect that in the absence of such redirection, one should see output in the CLI window.

Quote:
I've been under the impression that the console window would generate output?
It should unless it has been redirected. Starting the session from the command line with a simple

python pytivo.py

(assuming `python` is the proper command to run Python and assuming the pyTivo script is named `pytivo.py`) from the directory containing pyTivo should guarantee it is not redirected.

Quote:
The same as happens if I make a change in the web configuration. Maybe I've been misunderstanding?
'Sounds like you may have a few minor misconceptions, yes, or at least that you don't have a thorough understanding of how your PC works. That's OK. Many people do not.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #3183
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Now I really feel dumb, I never thought to look at the links in his signature.

"An implementation of TiVo's HME (Home Media Extensions) protocol"
Huh?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #3184
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Ps.. I posted in this thread because the vidmgr thread id in developers corner and I didn't think I should be posting there.
No, post there, it's fine... that thread should probably be here, really.

The correct name for the package that jbernardis refers to as "pyhme" is "HME for Python".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #3185
dylanemcgregor

I probably need this in the 3rd grade version for most of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Try it from the command line. In the mean time, there must be a command line option in the shortcut you are using. What is it?
I followed the Wiki instructions pretty much exactly, the only place I varied from them is in where I put the pytivo folder. It wasn't working in the location specified in the wiki (I use W7 64bit) and another poster said that I had to put the folder somewhere else due to permission issues. So I created the folder in

C:\Users\Dylan\AppData\Roaming\pytivo

I don't think I did anything special to put a shortcut in the Start menu. Given that, how do I find the command line option? Right clicking gives options, but no command line option that I can see. The Open With option suggests I open with python.exe.

Quote:
It is the default output stream for all messages from a foreground session. Stderr is the default output stream for all error messages (if separate from stdout) from a foreground session.

Not unless you are re-directing stdout and perhaps stderr to such a file, although it doesn't particularly have to be in the pytivo folder. I re-direct mine to /var/log/pytivo.log. Without knowing the command line, we can't really tell one way or the other whether your stdout and stderr are being redirected. One would not ordinarily expect so, but then one would definitely expect that in the absence of such redirection, one should see output in the CLI window.
I haven't done anything I'm aware of that would have done this.

Quote:
It should unless it has been redirected. Starting the session from the command line with a simple

python pytivo.py

(assuming `python` is the proper command to run Python and assuming the pyTivo script is named `pytivo.py`) from the directory containing pyTivo should guarantee it is not redirected.
I want to be sure exactly what is meant by the command line in this context.

1) Go to run and type in 'cmd' to open the command line (commonly referred to as the "DOS Window"

If I type in python pytivo.py here I get "python is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

2) If I type in to the "Run" window I get a console window to open up briefly and then close.

3) I can open python as a command line interface but I get a "Syntax error:invalid syntax" typing that line.

The pytivo script is named pytivo.py And python seems to be the right command to run the command line interface for python (typing Python into Run opens up Python)

So what else am I missing/misunderstanding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #3186
Iluvatar

Quote:
I probably need this in the 3rd grade version for most of this post.

I followed the Wiki instructions pretty much exactly, the only place I varied from them is in where I put the pytivo folder. It wasn't working in the location specified in the wiki (I use W7 64bit) and another poster said that I had to put the folder somewhere else due to permission issues. So I created the folder in

C:\Users\Dylan\AppData\Roaming\pytivo

I don't think I did anything special to put a shortcut in the Start menu. Given that, how do I find the command line option? Right clicking gives options, but no command line option that I can see. The Open With option suggests I open with python.exe.

I haven't done anything I'm aware of that would have done this.

I want to be sure exactly what is meant by the command line in this context.

1) Go to run and type in 'cmd' to open the command line (commonly referred to as the "DOS Window"

If I type in python pytivo.py here I get "python is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

2) If I type in to the "Run" window I get a console window to open up briefly and then close.

3) I can open python as a command line interface but I get a "Syntax error:invalid syntax" typing that line.

The pytivo script is named pytivo.py And python seems to be the right command to run the command line interface for python (typing Python into Run opens up Python)

So what else am I missing/misunderstanding?
If you are running pyTivo from the command prompt in Windows this is where your debug log information is going to be displayed (although I know you had issues with this earlier). Unless you are running a very old version of pyTivo that had log file options or know how to edit the Python code this is the way it is out of the box. Operating systems such as Linux can set this up differently.

1. Open your command prompt.
2. Type
Code:
C:\Users\Dylan\AppData\Roaming\pytivo\pyTivo.py
and press enter.

This will start pyTivo and accomplish what lhorer was trying to describe. It may be that the shortcut you have been using to start pyTivo is not correct in some way.

Last edited by Iluvatar : 10-10-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #3187
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
If you are running pyTivo from the command prompt in Windows this is where your debug log information is going to be displayed (although I know you had issues with this earlier). Unless you are running a very old version of pyTivo that had log file options or know how to edit the Python code this is the way it is out of the box. Operating systems such as Linux can set this up differently.

1. Open your command prompt.
2. Type
Code:
C:\Users\Dylan\AppData\Roaming\pytivo\pyTivo.py
and press enter.

This will start pyTivo and accomplish what lhorer was trying to describe. It may be that the shortcut you have been using to start pyTivo is not correct in some way.
Thanks. I did this and pytivo seems to launch fine in the same window. Same behavior as before though. Going to MyMovies on the TiVo doesn't generate any additional messages.

Is there a place I can find which version I'm using? It looks like I set this up on August 20th, and I would have downloaded the most recent version around the same time.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #3188
Iluvatar

Quote:
Thanks. I did this and pytivo seems to launch fine in the same window. Same behavior as before though. Going to MyMovies on the TiVo doesn't generate any additional messages.

Is there a place I can find which version I'm using? It looks like I set this up on August 20th, and I would have downloaded the most recent version around the same time.
Not that I am aware of. Best bet if you are not sure is to re-download from the source.

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git

Perhaps you could try scrapping your existing install. Save your pyTivo.conf file and FFmpeg binary. Extract the latest pyTivo snapshot into C:\pyTivo put your pyTivo.conf and FFmpeg in there. Fire up your command prompt and type
Code:
C:\pyTivo\pyTivo.py
Double check that your firewall has these exceptions enabled (thanks to user lucasnz):
1. Allow TCP 9032
2. Allow UDP 5353 and 9032
Old 10-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #3189
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Not that I am aware of. Best bet if you are not sure is to re-download from the source.

Perhaps you could try scrapping your existing install. Save your pyTivo.conf file and FFmpeg binary. Extract the latest pyTivo snapshot into C:\pyTivo put your pyTivo.conf and FFmpeg in there. Fire up your command prompt and type
Code:
Double check that your firewall has these exceptions enabled (thanks to user lucasnz):
1. Allow TCP 9032
Thanks. Will try when I get home tonight.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #3190
dylanemcgregor

Quote:

Code:
1. Allow TCP 9032
Was able to play with this for a few minutes this morning. I did what you suggested and downloaded the latest zip, extracted to c:\pytivo and copied the ffmpeg.exe and pytivo.conf into the new folder. I turned off the firewall and launched pytvio.py via the command line...and no change.

I then went in and thought I'd turn the firewall on and check the specific ports. They are indeed open. I also noticed that in the program access list pytivo was given access, but python wasn't. Didn't know if that mattered, but thought I'd try to turn it on anyway. After that I ran pytivo again, and got the below output when I tried to access MyMovies on TiVo.

Code:
C:\Users\Dylan>c:\pytivo\wmcbrine\pytivo.py
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Announcing shares...
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: MyMovies
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Scanning for TiVos...
INFO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.144 [12/Oct/2011 08:05:08] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Formats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.144 [12/Oct/2011 08:05:09] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=MyMovies&SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=8&Filter=x-tivo-container
%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1"
 200 -

Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #3191
Iluvatar

Quote:
Was able to play with this for a few minutes this morning. I did what you suggested and downloaded the latest zip, extracted to c:\pytivo and copied the ffmpeg.exe and pytivo.conf into the new folder. I turned off the firewall and launched pytvio.py via the command line...and no change.

I then went in and thought I'd turn the firewall on and check the specific ports. They are indeed open. I also noticed that in the program access list pytivo was given access, but python wasn't. Didn't know if that mattered, but thought I'd try to turn it on anyway. After that I ran pytivo again, and got the below output when I tried to access MyMovies on TiVo.

Code:
C:\Users\Dylan>c:\pytivo\wmcbrine\pytivo.py
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: MyMovies
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.144 [12/Oct/2011 08:05:08] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Formats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.144 [12/Oct/2011 08:05:09] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=MyMovies&SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=8&Filter=x-tivo-container
%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1"
 200 -
That seems more like what you should see on startup. When you opened the folder was it still empty?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #3192
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
That seems more like what you should see on startup. When you opened the folder was it still empty?
Yes.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #3193
lpwcomp

When pyTivo is running, what do you see if you open http://localhost:9032/ and click on "Web Configuration"?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #3194
caddyroger

Does Pytivo work with the Premiere Elite?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #3195
lpwcomp

I don't know for sure, but I don't see why it wouldn't. The only potential problem I can see is that it might not recognize the Elite is an HD.

Edit: Took a look at the code. Since an Elite TSN should begin with a "7" and any TiVo with a TSN that begins with "6" or greater (unless it begins with "649") is treated as HD, that shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 10-12-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #3196
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Does Pytivo work with the Premiere Elite?
I have been able to get pushes to work with my Elite, but I don't see the pyTiVo shares on the Elite whereas they do appear on my Series 3.

I can also go to the web interface and see the Now Playing List (My Shows) of the Elite and transfer a show from the Elite to the computer that way.

I am using a pyTiVo version from 2010, so tomorrow or Friday I'll see if I can update it. I need to update my Python from 2.6 to 2.7, so I'm sure it will be an adventure.

So, right now it is partially working. I don't have Windows firewall enabled on the Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) where pyTiVo is running as a service.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #3197
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Checked again this morning and my test videos suddenly appeared in MyMovies. Don't think I changed anything on my end. Transferring one now, and will check to see if everything went OK tonight. Thanks very much for all your help.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #3198
Iluvatar

Quote:
Checked again this morning and my test videos suddenly appeared in MyMovies. Don't think I changed anything on my end. Transferring one now, and will check to see if everything went OK tonight. Thanks very much for all your help.
Glad to see something finally work for you. I wasn't sure what to do next
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #3199
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
I have been able to get pushes to work with my Elite, but I don't see the pyTiVo shares on the Elite whereas they do appear on my Series 3.
I am still seeing the same problem with seeing shares on the Premiere Elite.

I removed Python 2.6 and installed 2.7.2 (x64) on my Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.

I also got the latest pyTiVo (2011-08-18) from http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git and updated that.

I enabled Debug in the pytivo.conf file and started it from the command line. I see this output:

Code:
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: PC-1 Audio Podcasts
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: PC-1 Music
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: PC-1 Video Podcasts
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: PC-1 Videos
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.0.119 [17/Oct/2011 19:07:59] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.0.100 [17/Oct/2011 19:07:59] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
The shares appear immediately on my Series 3, but do not appear on the Elite.

In the pyTiVo web page at http://pc-1:9032/, both TiVos are listed in the "Pull from TiVos" section.

Both TiVos are also in the drop-down list on the Push page and pushing works on the Elite.

I have restarted the Elite and pyTiVo numerous times with no change in behavior.

I installed TiVo Desktop on my laptop and its shares do appear on the Elite.

How can I troubleshoot the shares not appearing on the Elite?

Thank you.

EDIT: Included is my pytivo.conf file in case it will help.

Code:
[Server]
port=9032
debug=True
ffmpeg_pram=-threads 2
tivo_mak=<<redacted>>
ffmpeg=C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
temp=C:\Users\Public\Documents\pyTivo
tivodecode=C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\tivodecode.exe
tdcat=C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\tdcat.exe
beacon=192.168.0.255 listen
togo_path=C:\Users\Public\Videos\TiVo
tivo_username=<<redacted>>
tivo_password=<<redacted>>

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[PC-1 Videos]
type=video
path=C:\Users\pyTiVo\Videos

[PC-1 Video Podcasts]
type=video
path=C:\Users\pyTiVo\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Podcasts

[PC-1 Music]
type=music
path=C:\Users\pyTiVo\Music

[PC-1 Audio Podcasts]
type=music
path=C:\Users\pyTiVo\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Podcasts

Last edited by djwilso : 10-17-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #3200
lrhorer

Well, I'm never a fan of covering up issues, rather than fixing them, but running vidmgr should side-step the issue. Vidmgr is so much better than the NPL that I recommend running it in any case, and in this case it will also allow you to queue pyTivo pushes from the TiVo itself. Indeed, one of the features of vidmgr is you can queue a pyTivo push to a TiVo other than the one on which you select the video to push.

If that's not clear, using vidmgr, you can select any video to push from any TiVo in the house and have it sent to any TiVo in the house.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #3201
jcthorne

Yes, use vidmgr. I have disabled display of pytivo files in the NPL entirely for the reasons lrhoror has stated. The presentation by vidmgr on the tivo is much more useful and user friendly.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #3202
djwilso

Can you provide a link to where I can look at vidmgr? I have not heard of it before.

Also, I use pyTivo mostly to play music on the TiVo. I really don't transfer that many videos from my computer to the TiVo.

If the music shares will not appear under "Music & photos", what can I do then?

Thank you.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #3203
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Any particular reason for that "beacon" line? If not, I'd take it out.

Beyond that, I don't know. I think others have reported pyTivo working with their Elites.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #3204
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Can you provide a link to where I can look at vidmgr? I have not heard of it before.

Thank you.
Try this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ghlight=vidmgr

Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #3205
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Thanks. Will check it out.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #3206
Soapm

Is there a setting in wmcbrine fork to change the sorting of the NPL? My pytivo view doesn't seem to have a logical order and I would perhaps like to sort them alpha or at least have the folders before the lose files.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #3207
lpwcomp

Quote:
Is there a setting in wmcbrine fork to change the sorting of the NPL? My pytivo view doesn't seem to have a logical order and I would perhaps like to sort them alpha or at least have the folders before the lose files.
Yes.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #3208
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
My pytivo view doesn't seem to have a logical order
It's date-sorted. Just like it says on the screen. If you want it name-sorted, press "1". Unfortunately that only works at the top level, and leaves folders date-sorted on lower levels; to get alpha sorting everywhere, you have to use the "force_alpha" kluge.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #3209
jcthorne

If you would like better control and better presentation of your video collection on the tivo, suggest looking at vidmgr. It uses the HMO interface to present a much nicer view and then uses pytivo to push the video. For properly encoded video on Premiere units, this happens in better than real time allowing you to essentially watch any video on your server instantly.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #3210
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It's date-sorted. Just like it says on the screen. If you want it name-sorted, press "1". Unfortunately that only works at the top level, and leaves folders date-sorted on lower levels; to get alpha sorting everywhere, you have to use the "force_alpha" kluge.
That makes more sense and since I consolidated movies from 4 or 5 different locations to one external drive what I see is a mess...

When you say date sorted, what date? Original air date maybe? Anyway to sort be original air date?