TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
fflewddur
R&D

Archivo: a new app for archiving TiVo recordings

Hi all,

I've been working on a new app (Archivo) to easily archive recordings from a TiVo to a personal computer, and I think its ready for its first test release.

The only configuration it needs is for you to enter your MAK; everything else should just work. It'll automatically search for TiVos on your local network and list all of the recordings it finds. Select a recording and click Archive to start the archive process. You can save the file using a few different device presets, or as a standard H.264 video. Commercials will be automatically removed, though you can disable this feature in the preferences.

I've only been able to test Archivo with my own TiVo (an older Premiere), so I've no idea how well it works with different models. This is a test release to gather feedback and gauge interest; don't expect everything to work perfectly yet

Archivo requires Java 8 and a Series 4 or newer TiVo. It also requires FFmpeg, Comskip, and HandBrake, but I've put together installers for Mac OS X and Windows that include these tools.

If you find a problem, I'd appreciate it if you could report it at https://github.com/fflewddur/archivo/issues. I've already started a list there of some future features I'd like to incorporate, but I want to make sure the basics (downloading recordings, removing commercials, and converting to standard formats) are working well before adding new features.

Archivo is Free Software; if you'd like to get involved in its development, you can find the source code on GitHub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Cross-platform app for archiving TiVo recordings to your computer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Java app and library for decrypting TiVo files
fflewddur is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
Fofer
Say what?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sweet! This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it out! Kudos and thanks!

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

What do you recommend to return the archive for viewing?

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

Thank you for doing this!

I am interested in understanding where Archivo fits into the TiVo landscape. Can you give some more explanation of why you created it and whats different about it than other TiVo tools that are out there.

waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
What do you recommend to return the archive for viewing?
I've never tried to do this with a TiVo; I keep all of my media in iTunes and stream it to an AppleTV. A built-in preset that will work well for one of the TiVo streaming applications sounds like a good feature to add.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I am interested in understanding where Archivo fits into the TiVo landscape. Can you give some more explanation of why you created it and whats different about it than other TiVo tools that are out there.
Sure, I wanted a tool for transferring recordings from my TiVo to either my Macbook (for watching while traveling) or my PC desktop (for long-term archiving). That meant a cross-platform app. I also wanted to be able to share the tool with family and friends, most of whom don't have a CS background: that meant developing something that will "just work" out of the box, no configuration required. And most importantly, I wanted to build it

Archivo, as the name suggests, is aimed at archiving recordings. It's not a control center or remote control for TiVos. There are excellent TiVo programs out there that have far more features than Archivo ever will, but those features come at a cost: complexity. By focusing on one primary use case, Archivo can (hopefully) do it very well while remaining very easy to use.

Now, whether it does work well is the question I'm trying to answer by making a public test release

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Fofer
Say what?

TC CLUB MEMBER
I tested it out this morning on my MacBook Pro, and it worked very well! Easy and elegant. I suspect it'll end up replacing the tools I used previously for this sort of thing.

Thanks for the great work on this, fflewddur! It's really appreciated. Looking forward to following its development.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I tested it out this morning on my MacBook Pro, and it worked very well! Easy and elegant. I suspect it'll end up replacing the tools I used previously for this sort of thing.
Awesome, glad to hear it worked! Mind if I ask what type of TiVo you used it with?

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Fofer
Say what?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflewddur View Post
Awesome, glad to hear it worked! Mind if I ask what type of TiVo you used it with?
Roamio Plus, upgraded with an internal 4 TB drive.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Roamio Plus, upgraded with an internal 4 TB drive.
Thanks, that's the first confirmation I've had that Archivo works with Roamio devices!

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
Necromancer2006

Is there a way to put the recordings back onto a TiVo or play the recordings using Plex or AppleTV or Chromecast?

Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
Is there a way to put the recordings back onto a TiVo or play the recordings using Plex or AppleTV or Chromecast?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10663271

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Fofer
Say what?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Plex should work fine with any installed Plex Media Server, too. Archivo creates video files like any other.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
Yeah, I add the archived videos to iTunes and stream them to my Apple TV all the time.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #15
unitron

You really should call it "ArchiVo".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
billpiper

Looks great. Is the default audio AAC 2.0? Any way to set to AC3?

billpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #17
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpiper View Post
Looks great. Is the default audio AAC 2.0? Any way to set to AC3?
Yes, the default audio is AAC 2.0, but the Apple TV and H.264 High Profile presets also pass through the AC3 track. A preset editor is one of the features I'd like to add, but at the moment the presets are hard-coded.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
ncbill

Minimum system requirements for OS X?

Wouldn't even launch under 10.6.8.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Minimum system requirements for OS X?

Wouldn't even launch under 10.6.8.
Archivo requires Java 8, which I believe is only supported on Mac OS X 10.7+. Can you confirm that you're running Java 8? It should display a warning if it can't find a recent-enough Java installation; are any error messages displayed?

Update: Yeah, https://www.java.com/en/download/faq....xml#otherjava confirms that Java 8 is only supported on Mac OS X 10.7.3 and newer.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #20
jrtroo
User

Things like this are what makes this community great. Thanks.

If you want more testers- may be worth posting a link to the Bolt or Roamio forums. Lots of folks there upgrading and needing to archive from older boxes...

Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #21
Fofer
Say what?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Good idea.

But when upgrading from one TiVo to another, wouldn't they want to transfer recordings to the new box, and not to their computer?

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #22
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Things like this are what makes this community great. Thanks.

If you want more testers- may be worth posting a link to the Bolt or Roamio forums. Lots of folks there upgrading and needing to archive from older boxes...
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll do that for the next test release

Old 10-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #23
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Good idea.

But when upgrading from one TiVo to another, wouldn't they want to transfer recordings to the new box, and not to their computer?
While some may prefer that, having this available would make many folks happy as a one-step backup for their old box. There are several ways to move it back like pytivo, or to view it, like Plex.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #24
ncbill

yep, thanks, will try it again after I upgrade to 10.9 (once I figure out how to virtualize my rock solid 10.6.8 install)

Quote:
Archivo requires Java 8, which I believe is only supported on Mac OS X 10.7+. Can you confirm that you're running Java 8? It should display a warning if it can't find a recent-enough Java installation; are any error messages displayed?

Update: Yeah, https://www.java.com/en/download/faq....xml#otherjava confirms that Java 8 is only supported on Mac OS X 10.7.3 and newer.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #25
Gary-B

Doesn't seem to like Win 7 64 bit. looks like it starts then disappears.

1 Tivo Mini
65" Samsung LED
75" Samsung
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #26
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to get a Win 7 64-bit virtual machine setup for testing.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #27
jtdon99

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to get a Win 7 64-bit virtual machine setup for testing.
Running Win 7 Ultimate here with no problems on Archivo.

jtdon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #28
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
If it fails during startup, it's likely a problem with Java. Can you confirm you have Java 8 Update 40 or newer installed? Specifically, if you click Start->Run and type in "cmd" to start a command prompt, then type "java -version" at the command prompt, it should report that you're running Java 1.8.0_40 or higher.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #29
Gary-B

Quote:
If it fails during startup, it's likely a problem with Java. Can you confirm you have Java 8 Update 40 or newer installed? Specifically, if you click Start->Run and type in "cmd" to start a command prompt, then type "java -version" at the command prompt, it should report that you're running Java 1.8.0_40 or higher.

That was it. Was running Java 8 build 31. Updated to build 60 and all is well.
Thanks

1 Tivo Mini
65" Samsung LED
75" Samsung
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #30
ninjaFred

Works great on El Capitan with a TiVo Bolt. Straightforward and elegant. Love it.

ninjaFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: