TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
cbpowers

Problems with M4V, MP4 files and TiVos

OK, let me start this out with me saying I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what....

I've got a handful of videos, MP4 and M4V format (DVDs converted with Handbrake).

I want to play these on my TiVos (Roamio, Premiere).

Nothing too complex, as I've got a few other MP4s on them already...or so I thought....

For some unknown to me reason, none of them are showing up in TiVo Desktop Plus, therefore, can't get them to TiVos though guessing they wouldn't work anyhow since they don't show up on Desktop Plus.

Is there something I've missed in Desktop Plus that I did before and missed this time or maybe something in the conversion process?

I've gone thru the process a couple times, the videos play fine, so it's not corrupted, just not showing up.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris

cbpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
pmiranda

I use PyTiVo for this. Search most threads in this forum and you'll find links.

pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpowers View Post
OK, let me start this out with me saying I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what....

I've got a handful of videos, MP4 and M4V format (DVDs converted with Handbrake).

I want to play these on my TiVos (Roamio, Premiere).

Nothing too complex, as I've got a few other MP4s on them already...or so I thought....

For some unknown to me reason, none of them are showing up in TiVo Desktop Plus, therefore, can't get them to TiVos though guessing they wouldn't work anyhow since they don't show up on Desktop Plus.

Is there something I've missed in Desktop Plus that I did before and missed this time or maybe something in the conversion process?

I've gone thru the process a couple times, the videos play fine, so it's not corrupted, just not showing up.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris
I believe even the newest TiVos can only play MPG files. I use TTG, and if I put a file with an extension other than MPG in the computer's TiVo folder, my Roamio won't see it, and neither will TTG.

As pmiranda suggested, pytivo will do automagical transcoding of various video formats to a format the TiVo can read.

Personally, I found pytivo to be a gigantic pain in the ass to set up and configure for a good looking transcode that retained resolution, image size, and proper audio, but that was a few years ago, and your mileage may vary.

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
cbpowers

Yeah, thanks for the replies.

I had played with PyTivo years ago as well and it was a pain.

One day when things were slow, I loaded it up again and tried it. I'd say I had mixed results. I could see one of my three TiVos and could push could get the transfer from PyTiVo to that TiVo, so that's good enough for now.

I'll try MPG too, see how that goes.

Thanks again,
Chris

cbpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
osu1991

I transfer mp4's and mkv's to my Roamio with pytivo all the time. They play perfect. Roamio is my first tivo so can't speak for prior models.

osu1991 is offline   Reply With Quote