TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
jrw77

TivoToGo and Video_TS File

Can a Video_TS file from a DVD be played on a Tivo Premiere using TivoToGo (the free basic version not pro)? Will it be played just like the original DVD with a menu & subtitles?
If not, can the extracted .vob files be played? How can the related subtitles be included?
When the above are played on the Tivo are they being copied and retained on the Tivo's hard drive or are they simply being streamed to the Tivo?
--thanks--
jrw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I use DVD Decrypter (in IFO mode) to rip the video to my PC and it becomes a single video file. The Video_TS on the DVD are broken down to several files and DVD decrypter puts them back together. It would not include any extra material unless you specify. you can simply change the filename to anything like movie name.mpg, you don't really need the .VOB name, but they are the same.

I also use VideoReDo (windows only) to fix timestamp issues, which many I had extracted had the incorrect length.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The DVD plugin for pyTivo (available in lucas_nz's fork, an add-on for mine) will handle VIDEO_TS folders. Note that you'll also have to turn on grouping (press "2") each time, due to a bug in recent versions of the TiVo software. It does not handle menus or subtitles.

Streambaby will do subtitles, if you rip them to a separate file. But it doesn't support VIDEO_TS, AFAIK.

pyTivo copies the recording to the TiVo (but you can start playing it right away, before the copy finished); and as the name suggests, Streambaby streams.

TiVo Desktop (not "TiVoToGo", which is the name of the service, not the program) has no special support for DVDs, but will transfer rips, either as individual VOB files or whole titles (if you rip them that way). Note that a VOB file is really just an MPEG-2 program stream, and it's already in a TiVo-compatible format. You might just need to change the extension from ".vob" to ".mpg".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-24-2015 at 10:57 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote