TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
missiontortilla

Looks like no November update for S3

Well it looks like they have 1 more day to squeeze in a November S3 update. Anyone think it will come out tomorrow? I don't
missiontortilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Austin_Martin

When I phoned customer service about the analog channels missing, I was told that the update would be in 2-3 weeks, and that it's in beta testing right now.
Austin_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Maeglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Martin
When I phoned customer service about the analog channels missing, I was told that the update would be in 2-3 weeks, and that it's in beta testing right now.
And how long ago was that?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Martin
Hey, when I called in early November I was told the update was going to be released in 2-3 weeks! So it's simple. Rep: What do I say when they ask when the update will be ready? Supervisor: Tell them two to three weeks.

Ever feel like a mushroom? Kept in the dark, fed bullcr*p. That's us S3 owners.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Ever feel like a mushroom? Kept in the dark, fed bullcr*p. That's us S3 owners.

I'm a little concerned about the relative lack of attention the S3 seems to be getting from TiVo. It released with an old code base; it didn't get a major update in Nov along with the rest of the line; reps like TiVoPony aren't posting in the S3 board like they used to (once on 9/25, then on 10/26, then on 11/28, you get the pattern...)

I thought the S3 was TiVo's flagship, the premier model, the very best? Why the lack of attention? I worry that CableLabs is partly to blame...do they have to approve each software update for the S3? If so this could undermine TiVo's ability to innovate, and we could be in for this kind of lethargy permanently...
Saxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

The lack of attention is a numbers game, as I see it. Many more S2 owners than S3, and that will likely be the case for quite a while. So it stands to reason they will get more attention. And I wouldn't call it "old" code. It's more stable than the previous S2 version. I'd rather have it, than the previous iteration of the S2 code. I'll patiently wait for the S3 update.

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
missiontortilla

I agree with Hookbill. I have been calling TiVo since mid October about the next release. On November 21st I was told that the release was coming out this very week! Today I talked to TiVo and they said it is still 2-3 weeks away. Rather then tell the CSRs to say that they do not have the release information, they are instructed to lie! Its hard to be patient for this next release because my TiVo is not usable without the update. At least I have finally gotten TiVo to compensate me for the trouble, they are not charging the monthly fee for November and they are throwing in a spare remote.
missiontortilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
Jerry_K
Don't know much

I had a view of all my DirecTiVos until tonight. Now I am back at iii and no other TiVos. Boo Hoo I really would like MRV, especially with the miniscule hard drives on the stock S3s.

15 TiVos of some type or the other over time

Tivoless now
Jerry_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontortilla
Rather then tell the CSRs to say that they do not have the release information, they are instructed to lie!
Do you have this on good authority, or is this just theory and speculation? While I will agree that a good customer service best practice is to just say "we don't have access to that information", I think you know by now that customer service is often the weakest link in a company's support tree. It's a thankless job with typically poor pay and poor training. CSRs get abused and I'm not surprised if they just say whatever is convenient to get someone off the phone so they can end their shift and go home.

Again, I'm not saying it's right... but we should all know better than to trust a CSR... it's just a sign of the times.

As far as releases, software updates will happen when the company is ready to release. Sure there are important outstanding bug fixes, but you really have 2 choices:

1. Get a quick fix, only to unearth bugs in a few days and be annoyed. This typically leads to people wondering who writes this software and who tests it because it's "crap", followed by 20 pages of forum posts and bad press.

2. Wait. Let TiVo put out a good release, and have them take a few extra weeks to make sure it's solid and make sure more people are happy

If you value your S3 not becoming a complete doorstop, and if you value TiVo as a company that you want to see around for the next 10 years, I would strongly advise patience. These upgrades are a big deal. It's not just some software where if the install process goes bad, you get extra phone calls and you have to tell people to reinstall from CD again.

For all intents and purposes, your TiVo is an appliance and the average consumer has different expectations, and as far as TiVo is concerned, if the upgrade fails, you suddenly have hundreds, if not thousands of units that end up getting shipped back to TiVo HQ.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:09 AM   #10
bkdtv

Tivo has been telling people to expect a November update since release. I suspect more issues came up (that needed fixing) than they had expected.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:15 AM   #11
Timber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Tivo has been telling people to expect a November update since release. I suspect more issues came up (that needed fixing) than they had expected.
#1 mistake in release management is telling anyone ANYTHING either date or feature-wise! People bitch and moan about mushroom management but the reality is writing new software is a complex process. Giving a date or listing new features is asking for trouble. The other problem is that you might rush stuff out to meet the dates and make the update a backdate. Not giving information makes folks unhappy in the short term but at least you won't pay a price later when the dates slip.

The TiVo folks are smart, I'm surprised they are still making this mistake.

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 AM   #12
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
Do you have this on good authority, or is this just theory and speculation? While I will agree that a good customer service best practice is to just say "we don't have access to that information", I think you know by now that customer service is often the weakest link in a company's support tree. It's a thankless job with typically poor pay and poor training. CSRs get abused and I'm not surprised if they just say whatever is convenient to get someone off the phone so they can end their shift and go home.
I don't think CSR's are trying to get you off the phone, although they may be monitored and rated on their call count. I think that it occurres like I said previously. We present an issue or problem to them. They say hold on. I believe they consult either with each other or a supervisor, probably each other. Then they give their educated guess. Which is always 2-3 weeks, no matter when you call.

If you call today you probably would be told two to three weeks and it may very well come today. I don't think TiVo's techs/engineers have an open communication with what they are doing with customer service. I do believe however, they know about our issues.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:37 AM   #13
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
The lack of attention is a numbers game, as I see it. Many more S2 owners than S3, and that will likely be the case for quite a while. So it stands to reason they will get more attention. And I wouldn't call it "old" code. It's more stable than the previous S2 version. I'd rather have it, than the previous iteration of the S2 code. I'll patiently wait for the S3 update.
I agree with most owners being S2 but when it comes to numbers excuse me, my 800.00 bucks is a heck of a bigger number then the S2 user paid. I think I deserve a bit more attention.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #14
Flop

Quote:
I agree with most owners being S2 but when it comes to numbers excuse me, my 800.00 bucks is a heck of a bigger number then the S2 user paid. I think I deserve a bit more attention.
As an fellow S3 owner, I appreciate your sentiment, but I assume the huge number of S2 owner's monthly fees far outstrips the revenue generated from us S3 owners.

If you transfered your lifetime to the S3 as well, then you are not even paying a monthly fee. TiVo got all they are going to get from you for that S3, but those S2 guys are still paying them every month.

I can easily see why TiVo focused on getting the S2 update done and out quicker. Plus (not knowing how TiVo's code management system works) it may be taking longer to integrate some of the S2 code into the S3 fork than expected. Stuff like adding in one-button delete, undelete, etc that the S2 got a while back, but the S3 fork currently lacks. Not to mention fixing S3 only bugs that do not affect the S2 that were only discovered after the S3 launched and subjected to a broad spectrum of cable systems and setups.

I bet once they get the S2 and S3 code bases more or less synchronized, the S3 updates will be around the same time as the S2 updates. The S3 just had farther to go this update cycle than the S2.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #15
Austin_Martin

Quote:
And how long ago was that?
That was on Tuesday.
Austin_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 AM   #16
hookbill
Feathered Member

Well, we do know that it is in beta testing as somebody let some picks slip through showing his set up and we saw they had a delete folder. It should be sometime soon.

I'd say, probably in the next two or three weeks.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #17
Flop

Quote:
I'd say, probably in the next two or three weeks.

Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #18
ashu
User title defunct

Flop, excellent (conject-)analysis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
They don't care about that...what they DO care about is the number of subs....there's a heckuva lot more S2 subs than S3. Rolling out a software update for S2 owners impacts WAY more folks than a software update for the S3.

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

If # of subs were as big a factor as presented here, DirecTV with Tivo would have been the most advanced platform back when it was being promoted.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
Jeff_W

Is this next update supposed to turn on MRV?
Jeff_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_W
Is this next update supposed to turn on MRV?
Pure conjecture on my part . . . no.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #23
msu2k

I want my eSATA drive enabled. Until it is I'm basically using the S3 for OTA recordings and hanging onto my upgraded S1 DTivo to record SD shows. I'd like to switch to cable one of these months.
msu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #24
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Guys, the S3 is already leaps and bounds better than the archaic HR10-250. At least Tivo is in direct control of software updates.

If they said a release is coming, I'm inclined to believe them. They've openly stated they are on a 4x a year release cycle, and I'm guessing they are trying to homogonize the S2 and S3 code base? Just a guess though.

MRV and TTG are in the hands of CableLabs though, so I wouldn't expect them until next year, maybe by Summer? Who knows.

In any case, I'm way happier with my S3 than I am with my 3.1.5f HR10-250 (or 6.x HR10-250).

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #25
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
The trick is they already got your $800. Once that's said and done, you and a S2 owner are each worth $12.95/mon
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #26
slimoli

"Guys, the S3 is already leaps and bounds better than the archaic HR10-250. At least Tivo is in direct control of software updates"

I disagree. I had the 250 for 2 years and never had a partial recording or any other serious bug. With the S3 I have almost all bugs reported here like:

-Loss of analog channels (random)
-No audio on 7 channels (DIY,IFC,LMN,HISTI,BIO,FUEL,FUSE)-all digital
-reboot during playback

Those are probably software glitches because they have been reported several times already. I just hope that this new software comes soon and fixes the bugs.

Sergio
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #27
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
The trick is they already got your $800. Once that's said and done, you and a S2 owner are each worth $12.95/mon
Except that I'll bet a large portion of the early S3 adopters are worth far less that $12.95/month, since many transfered lifetime. The $199 fee (to essentially provide a year of service on the transfer box) helps some, but Tivo recognized lifetime subs at $6.23 a month (IIRC) for 48 months and then zip.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #28
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Except that I'll bet a large portion of the early S3 adopters are worth far less that $12.95/month, since many transfered lifetime. The $199 fee (to essentially provide a year of service on the transfer box) helps some, but Tivo recognized lifetime subs at $6.23 a month (IIRC) for 48 months and then zip.
Doesn't sound like that's gonna help us S3 owner getting a better treatment then does it?
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #29
johnd7

Well, they will be smart to do the next update (if it is a good one, which in the past, they typically do more harm than good) prior to the Dec. 31 purchase date for the Lifetime Transfer option. I suspect I am not the only one waiting as close to Dec. 31 as possible to see how the S3 and any updates are performing before purchasing.
johnd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #30
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
With the S3 Tivo also attracted a bunch of previously non-Tivo users such as myself which probably more than counters the number of lifetime transfers. Such new users are probably in general less tolerant of bugs compared to a long time Tivo user so it would be in Tivo's interests to fix bugs in a more timely manner early in S3 lifetime to keep new subscribers around (and have those new subscribers recommend the S3 to others). Also, with the new pricing scheme Tivo is essentially locking in new subscribers for longer terms, which makes them especially valuable.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote