TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
bockm2

using dual tuner on tivo HD XL

I just upgraded to a tivo HD XL from my series 2 single tuner Tivo (which broke). I don't have an HDTV yet but I expect to get one in the next 12 months. I don't have digital cable yet either. I have analog cable and no antenna.

Therefore, I have no need for a cable card. I hooked up my tivo today and everything is working great. I have the cable hooked into the cable in but nothing hooked up to the antenna in. The cable comes up through the floor and is split with a 3dB splitter. Half of the signal goes to my vcr and half of the signal goes to Tivo. This set up worked well for my series 2 setup but it seems like it is unnecessary since the Tivo HD XL has dual tuner capability.

Here is my question: Can I hook up the rf cable that brings the second half of the split cable channels that is hooked up to my vcr to the antenna input on the Tivo HD XL? I know that the antenna input is typically for an HD antenna and one can therefore record HD channels over the air that way. However, I also saw that it can record an NTSC signal as well (pre digital switch over antennas).

I read that to use an antenna for example I would have to repeat the guided setup and then the Tivo service would look up the over the air channels in my area. In my case, I would repeat the guided set up and would want Tivo to look up the exact same cable channels that I already have for the antenna.

Thanks in advance.
bockm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Capmeister

The signal coming in from that cable isn't going to be the same as NTSC or ATSC tuner, so it won't do anything for you unless somehow the cable is carrying those signals. More likely, it has a QAM signal which I don't believe the OTA turner can handle. See what you get hooking it up--no harm--but probably nothing.

And you should be able to dual record off the normal cable input, just not anything you can't receive without a cable card (make sure you don't do cable card setup).
Capmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
bockm2

figured it out

O.k. I figured this out. I read this on these forums.

"How many coax cables are needed to support dual tuners?

The TivoHD has one coax input for OTA and one coax input for CABLE. Only one coax input is needed to support dual tuners on the TivoHD, because the connections are split internally."

So I'm good.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
bockm2

cable cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capmeister View Post
The signal coming in from that cable isn't going to be the same as NTSC or ATSC tuner, so it won't do anything for you unless somehow the cable is carrying those signals. More likely, it has a QAM signal which I don't believe the OTA turner can handle. See what you get hooking it up--no harm--but probably nothing.

And you should be able to dual record off the normal cable input, just not anything you can't receive without a cable card (make sure you don't do cable card setup).
Why should I not do a cable card set up later when I get digital cable? They are going to drop analog cable in my area soon. At that point I'll need a cable card. I thought there was a way to do dual tuner with a cable card or multiple cable cards?

"Do I need one CableCard or two?

On the TivoHD, one M-CARD supports both digital cable tuners. If your cable provider only has the discontinued S-CARDs, then you will need two.

Note the discontinued $799 TiVo Series3 (silver front with orange OLED screen) always requires two CableCards -- regardless of type -- to support both tuners. The TivoHD uses newer components, and one of the advantages of that is full support for M-CARDs."
Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

See the TiVo HD Overview, FAQ.... sticky thread at the top of this forum for lots of useful up to date info about the HD.

With the HD you can use either 2 S-Cards or 1 M-Card, preferred because it saves monthly rental charge for one card. You will have dual tuner on the HD no matter what input type you use. Good chance you will need a Tuning Adapter too, see the SDV sticky thread at top of this forum. These are normally furnished free. You don't need any of this stuff for analog cable channels or for OTA via the antenna input.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You do not need to split the cable input to get dual tuner functions, its already there. To view what is on the other tuner, just press LIVE TV button and it will switch between the 2 tuners each time its pressed.

Sooner or later, when your cable company switches to digital entirely, you would need 1 Multi- or 2 single stream cable cards to view digital channels.

You can also add a UHF/VHF antenna to receive Over The Air digital signals, and that is what goes to the ANTENNA INPUT.

I only use OTA no cable and get 40 digital channels, where before the transition, I only got 10 analog channels.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Capmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockm2 View Post
Why should I not do a cable card set up later when I get digital cable? They are going to drop analog cable in my area soon. At that point I'll need a cable card. I thought there was a way to do dual tuner with a cable card or multiple cable cards?
When you get digital you should. I only meant no need to do that if you just have analog as yet.

Dual tuner will work with one cable in analog, but as soon as you need a decoder, you'll either need to S-series or one M-series cable card.
Capmeister is offline   Reply With Quote