TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
gonzoron

S3 wireless - must I have the official Tivo adapter?

Just ordered my 1st S3 to replace my aging 40-hour S2. My TV placement is such that it's tough to run a phone or ethernet cable to it, so I've been using a non-Tivo brand Wireless adapter from the recommended list. (I think it's the Belkin or D-link, can't check right now.) The Tivo website says only the Tivo-brand adapter works with the S3. Is that for real?

Has anyone successfully used another brand? Any word if the other brands will be supported soon?
gonzoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

I believe the Tivo adapter is the only one that works with WPA, but that any mainstream adapter should work.

But I don't know for sure.
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
JimParks

I'm using the Linksys USB wireless adapter on my S3 that I did on my S2. Works just fine but it is a /b adapter and it will not work with WAP even on a S2. I live in the country so my wireless is not encrypted.
JimParks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
A J Ricaud

If you want the equivalent of a wired Ethernet connection you may want to consider powerline adapters. They are not as fast as a wired connection but can be as fast as 811g. I'm using these and get about 50Mbps:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/490...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
SugarBowl

DLINK G120 can be found for about $10 after rebate, and it works with the S3.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

I'm pretty sure only the Tivo wireless adapter supports WPA with the S3. If you want WPA, you can't get that with any other adapter (I think).

Can anyone confirm if they have WPA working with another wireless adapter (other than a wireless bridge)?

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
gonzoron

just for the record, I don't need WPA. It would be nice, but I've gotten by with WEP thus far, and am happy keeping it that way if I can avoid buying a new adapter.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
Gregor

Don't forget that the Tivo wireless connector will offload some of the processing from the box, so transfers will go faster. For now, that's only Unbox content.

You can also use the wired ethernet connector and attach that to a wireless bridge, regardless of make.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
gonzoron

For the record, I got my S3 yesterday and it did in fact work flawlessly with my Netgear wireless adapter (I was totally wrong on my brand guess). (just WEP, but that's fine with me for now).
Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Don't forget that the Tivo wireless connector will offload some of the processing from the box, so transfers will go faster. For now, that's only Unbox content.
I don't think the TiVo adapter helps with that kind of download at all ... only true TTG and MRV transfers (which aren't applicable to the S3 yet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
MediaLivingRoom

Why does TiVo Series 3 NOT have WiFi built-in?

Wii, PS3, Apple TV, Skype Phones, PSP, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite all have some type of WiFi......
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
classicsat
Astute User

It would have added that much extra cost to the box, and they have their own adapter, and software support for some other adapters anyway.

Perhaps in the future they will include wi-fi, as they just have gotten around to including ethernet.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaLivingRoom
Why does TiVo Series 3 NOT have WiFi built-in?

Wii, PS3, Apple TV, Skype Phones, PSP, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite all have some type of WiFi......
Nintendo DS does not support WPA security, which means that you have to use the somewhat flakey proprietary Nintendo WiFi adapter on your PC for your DS to talk to if you don't want to cripple the security on your home network. I think the WEP cracking tools now advertise at most 5 minutes to crack WEP security, whereas WPA security is pretty much only crackable if a poor passcode is chosen.

Besides, a lot of people hard-wire their TiVo, and built-in WiFi would be wasted cost for them, particularly since you just have to plug a WiFi adapter into the USB if you want WiFi. WiFi makes sense for hand-held devices, but is only one choice for a "fixed" device like a TiVo.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron
just for the record, I don't need WPA. It would be nice, but I've gotten by with WEP thus far, and am happy keeping it that way if I can avoid buying a new adapter.
Just for the record, you may as well secure your house with a screen door. You're "getting by" with WEP but it doesn't do anything for you. It's like saying your car runs great with one of those worthless magnetic fuel flow optimizers. It'll run fine without it.

Using WEP is like putting a sign on your front door that says, "Please don't steal anything." The fact that nothing's been stolen has nothing to do with the sign. Nothing's been stolen because nobody's interested in stealing your stuff. Anyone who's interested in stealing your stuff will ignore the sign and kick open the door. Anyone who's interested in using your WEP-"protected" wireless network will laugh and be using your network in 5 minutes.

Or think of it like a roped off area in a museum. The rope says, "This area is off limits. Please do not enter." But it doesn't make the area secure. Anyone could step over the rope if they decided to ignore the request.

WPA is like a solid steel door on a concrete bunker. For now. A few years from now, it'll probably be cracked and we'll be using something else for security.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #15
gonzoron

Understood, but I'm more concerned about bandwidth stealing neighbors than legitimate hackers looking to steal credit card info and such. I know the limitations of WEP, so I don't keep anything shared on my network worth stealing. If someone wants to waste their time breaking in to get baby pictures and mp3's, good luck to them.

It's not a screen door, it's The Club. Useless to stop a real car thief determined to steal your particular car, but if the rest of your block doesn't use one, and has equally nice cars, yours will get passed over in favor of the easy target. Considering there at least 3 completely unsecured networks within range, WEP is discouraging enough to make the weaker links more inviting.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
tommytahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl
DLINK G120 can be found for about $10 after rebate, and it works with the S3.
This is for SugarBowl:

WHERE can I find this sweet deal? I have narrowed it down to the D-Link DWL-G120 and the TiVo brand wireless adapters that will work with my Mac, are 802.11g, and will work with my TiVo.

So, I was going to go with the TiVo brand adapter finally, unless there's a sweet deal on the D-Link, of course. I don't need my wireless connection to stretch out 500 feet or anything, and don't really need WPA when it comes down to it.

Your $10 deal sounds sweet. Do tell...

Tom
Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
Resist

Believe it or not I just hooked up an old orginal Xbox wireless game adapter to my new Tivo S3 and it worked. Tivo didn't ask for any information, it just accepted it. I could have swore I have WEP enabled, so I am not sure how it even found my network without asking for the password. Had I known this adapter would work I wouldn't have ordered a new Tivo wireless network adapter. Granted the Xbox adapter has to be plugged in an outlet for power.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #18
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist
I could have swore I have WEP enabled, so I am not sure how it even found my network without asking for the password.
You might want to confirm it hasn't latched on to a neighbor's unprotected wireless network instead of your own.

Interesting that it worked like that, though.

|
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
You might want to confirm it hasn't latched on to a neighbor's unprotected wireless network instead of your own.

Interesting that it worked like that, though.
A gaming adapter is, almost always, a bridge, so no surprise there that it would work with the TiVo.

Generally, bridges store their configuration in non-volatile memory, so if it ever worked on the WEP-secured network, there's no surprise it would work now, either.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:53 PM   #20
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ah, ok. I don't have an XBox so I was thinking of a true wireless adapter. What you're describing makes more sense.

|
Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #21
Resist

Now that I think about it, years ago when I hooked that gaming adapter up to my Xbox I remember having to put in my WEP password. I thought the Xbox stored the information but I guess it actually was the network adapter itself that stores it.

This is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-R86-.../dp/B0000C5FMJ

Last edited by Resist : 10-26-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #22
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
If you want the equivalent of a wired Ethernet connection you may want to consider powerline adapters. They are not as fast as a wired connection but can be as fast as 811g. I'm using these and get about 50Mbps:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/490...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Powerline adapters are an excellent option. People don't give them enough credit.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #23
bob61

My Linksys adapter that works fine on my S2 fails to work with my THD. I bit the bullet and just purchased Tivo adapter. FYI you can find it on Amazon for $37 and change (free shipping). Compared to $60 at BestBuy and CircuitCity, it seemed like a steal
bob61 is offline   Reply With Quote