TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

The Bridge Season 2 (spoilers to current episodes)

No discussion yet? ok then I'll start it.

With the new direction the series has taken in going to a more character driven and less procedural bent, I'm not 100% sure they have found their way.

With 2 episodes in so far I'm ok with some of the changes, at times it feels like I can invest more into the show, but there are some things that I really miss.

Having lost Marco's family I'm having a lot harder of a time connecting with him, and Sonya sleeping with her sisters attackers brother just came out of nowhere, and they have softened her up a lot, she seems to have lost a lot of that quirkiness I found endearing.

What seems trivial and bothers me the most so far is Demian Bichir's inconsistent accent, in S1 his english was very consistently accented, but in S2 it's all over the map, sometimes there's almost no trace of accent in his english. I've seen the actor in other roles being very fluent in english so I'm not sure where the inconsistency is creeping in from.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

I binge watched about eight episodes over three days to get caught up. I don't know who else is watching but I like it. As a matter of fact, I prefer this season to last season. The storyline is more coherent.

Maybe next life I'll be reincarnated as a hitman. If so, I hope I'm a lot more competent than Chopper was. What a dope.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
they have softened her up a lot, she seems to have lost a lot of that quirkiness I found endearing.
Hollywood always does that to female characters. They did the same to Brennan on Bones.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
they have softened her up a lot, she seems to have lost a lot of that quirkiness I found endearing.
Agree. She was so {whatever she is} last season it was off-putting at times. But it was incredibly well acted, and by the end of S1, she had me sold.

Now she's become closer to normal, and it's not as engaging to watch. She is still superb in the role though.

[Aside: No offense to anyone with these comments on someone portraying a character with a significant mental illness. I'm simply commenting on the way they have written her character and its effect on the show.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Maybe next life I'll be reincarnated as a hitman. If so, I hope I'm a lot more competent than Chopper was. What a dope.
Why why why do they always have to do at least one stupid thing? In this case, dig a grave for her. Just chopper her and be done with it.

Notice when the cartel hitmen came at the house, they just fired their AK-47s right thru the door and started killing people. No warning, no stupid acts to give people a chance to escape. Just start shooting.

Now THAT'S how you play a hitman!

I love this show, it's so different than most TV dramas. Ratings have not been good however.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
philw1776

Surprised this season to see Charlotte's role minimized and finally eliminated.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Surprised this season to see Charlotte's role minimized and finally eliminated.
Yeah, I kept waiting to see why her character was even in the show. And waiting. And...BLAM!

It's like they figured they'd figure it out later, and then never did.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

I was surprised that Cezar didn't shoot Eleanor and Jaime right after the ambush. Not only is she nuts, she's incompetent and nuts.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

It's not near as good to me this season. Part of it might be that we binge-watched most of last season late in the season so it was all coherent and flowing. This season just seems disjointed and distracted.

The whole Chopper thing has to be one of the dumbest storylines ever. Don't worry, I'm going to kill you quickly. However, I'm going to let you run away in the vast desert while I spend hours digging a grave for you. I mean, I could totally just put a bullet in your head right now and save myself a lot of trouble and danger, but what the heck? Oh, and my buddy that is willing to take a beating to not tell the cops where I am? Yeah, he is totally not doing to honk the horn or anything to let me know a cop is coming to kill me. It's not like I'm protected in this hole while the cop has NO COVER WHATSOEVER so with the tiniest bit of warning I could pop up and shoot him while he has no cover.

Awful, awful, awful writing for a show that was so brilliant last year.

I have a feeling season 2 of True Detective is going to be the same way.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
It's not near as good to me this season. Part of it might be that we binge-watched most of last season late in the season so it was all coherent and flowing. This season just seems disjointed and distracted.
I thought last season was disjointed. There were too many plot lines. This year it's basically just one - the Fausto Galvan universe.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Last season was more about character. This season was more about plot.

If they can combine the two in Season 3, it will be Pure Awesome!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
sharkster

I'm not sure if it's just some kind of burn-out, because I watch way too many shows, or just me, but I feel like I have no clue as to what is going on this season.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I'm not sure if it's just some kind of burn-out, because I watch way too many shows, or just me, but I feel like I have no clue as to what is going on this season.
I'm the same way. I have to struggle to keep watching this one. I just watched somewhere around episode 4 or 5, and it had been long enough that I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Perhaps it's just that I don't find fausto galvan compelling enough to hold my interest. I also haven't picked up on any mystery yet that i want to see solved. It seemed to me that s1 had a lot more mystery and s2 is more about just bad guys being bad.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

I gave up around episode 5 or 6. I was finding the show rather dull and - not sure why - was having a hard time understanding what was going sometimes.

Also didn't how they dialed back Sonya's Asperger's. I found that a very interesting character trait last season. Liked how it affected her job sometimes, such as failing to be empathetic when breaking the bad news to victim family members and whatnot.

This season, she was pretty much the same as any other female character on the many Law & Order CSI shows. And I found myself hitting the FF button when anything was going on with her and the brother of her sister's attacker. Just. did. not. care.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #14
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
That's me.
I loved last year, but this season I think I've seen two so far and have absolutely no idea what is going on.
I think I have a generalized TV burn-out as I am feeling this way about several shows.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

Maybe it's because I binge watched six or seven episodes in a row but I don't understand how people can have no idea what's going on this season. There's basically only one plot.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Maybe it's because I binge watched six or seven episodes in a row but I don't understand how people can have no idea what's going on this season. There's basically only one plot.
This...not rocket science.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post

Also didn't how they dialed back Sonya's Asperger's. I found that a very interesting character trait last season. Liked how it affected her job sometimes, such as failing to be empathetic when breaking the bad news to victim family members and whatnot.

This season, she was pretty much the same as any other female character on the many Law & Order CSI shows. And I found myself hitting the FF button when anything was going on with her and the brother of her sister's attacker. Just. did. not. care.
Agreed. Her character is now cardboard.

And agree also with the boring story thread with the killer's brother although the reveal that he "knew" about the killing was interesting.

Last season Charlotte's character was sharply drawn and complex while this season they starved it and eliminated her. Maybe it was because she did not wish to continue being in the show. I don't know.

Needs more Hank & the marbles in his mouth cowboy.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I don't think it's so much that they "dialed back" her autistic qualities. It's more that she's pushed everybody away this season. Last year, it was her interaction with the other characters that brought out the interesting side of her character. She still does all the same things, but much less often since she's mostly on her own.

But I agree that it hurts the show. She was a much more interesting character when she was constantly butting heads with everybody else. Now she won't have anything to do with Marco and Hank, and she doesn't have any contact with anybody else in the department, or anywhere else, really. She's just not as interesting in isolation.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

I still enjoy the show and its depiction of a world I hope to have zero interaction with on a regular basis.

One thing I've noticed is the last two episodes seemed to have a more artistic imagery in how the scenes were framed. Sonya running away in the scrub instantly evoked the famous painting ... Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World. (Wish I knew how to insert a snippet here.)

I'm confused about Chip and his role .... I need to rewatch the episode of him at the police station. Clearly more killing is going to happen in that house.

tta
Old 09-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #20
cheesesteak
Meh.

And what was up with the scene of her peeing in the desert? How did that add to the story?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I don't think it's so much that they "dialed back" her autistic qualities. It's more that she's pushed everybody away this season. Last year, it was her interaction with the other characters that brought out the interesting side of her character. She still does all the same things, but much less often since she's mostly on her own.

But I agree that it hurts the show. She was a much more interesting character when she was constantly butting heads with everybody else. Now she won't have anything to do with Marco and Hank, and she doesn't have any contact with anybody else in the department, or anywhere else, really. She's just not as interesting in isolation.
There's one aspect of her character that's a bit confusing this season. She made a huge point with Hank and Marco of not being able to stand a liar, especially when it relates to police work. However, she lied herself big time in regard to the shootout in Mexico. I understand hypocrisy in people but the writers' version of Asperger's should make her more conflicted about her own lies.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #22
VegasVic
Craps Player

I'm enjoying this season more than season 1.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
There's one aspect of her character that's a bit confusing this season. She made a huge point with Hank and Marco of not being able to stand a liar, especially when it relates to police work. However, she lied herself big time in regard to the shootout in Mexico. I understand hypocrisy in people but the writers' version of Asperger's should make her more conflicted about her own lies.
Has she lied about the shootout yet or has she just kept quiet about it?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Has she lied about the shootout yet or has she just kept quiet about it?
She kept quiet. And she was very unhappy about it...that's one reason she doesn't want to have anything to do with Marco any more.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
She kept quiet. And she was very unhappy about it...that's one reason she doesn't want to have anything to do with Marco any more.
Well, that attitude better do an about face after Marco saved her from certain death at the hands of the world's most inept hit man.

On another note, I've never listened to more than five seconds of this show's opening theme song. The singer sound so terrible I immediately ffwd.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #26
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm with Jeeters, they've not only dialed back Sonya, they've smoothed out the rough edges of her delivery.

So far I've barely seen S01 Sonya, I think there were a few glimpses in when she started with Dobb's brother, but rarely after that, and I miss her, she added a lot to the storyline.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #27
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

They made a brief mention of Sonia's condition in the latest episode, with the CIA agent asking her if she was still taking her medication. She said "no" and that was that.

I wish all Spanish speakers spoke as slowly and enunciated as well as those on the show. I almost don't need the subtitles when watching the scenes in Spanish. I did think it was funny that the subtitles, meant to convert the Spanish to English for the viewer, translated "Buen Provecho" into the French "Bon Apetit" on screen.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
andyw715

Quote:

On another note, I've never listened to more than five seconds of this show's opening theme song. The singer sound so terrible I immediately ffwd.
Until I read this I never listened either.... I actually thought it was sung in Spanish.....just hearing the first word.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #29
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
I wish all Spanish speakers spoke as slowly and enunciated as well as those on the show. I almost don't need the subtitles when watching the scenes in Spanish. I did think it was funny that the subtitles, meant to convert the Spanish to English for the viewer, translated "Buen Provecho" into the French "Bon Apetit" on screen.
What's odd is the closed captions actually put the English up also, even though the subtitles do it. Usually for captions, when the audio is in a foreign language, they'll either stop captioning and let the subtitles do the work, or in a few cases, they'll actually caption the foreign language.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:25 AM   #30
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
What's odd is the closed captions actually put the English up also, even though the subtitles do it. Usually for captions, when the audio is in a foreign language, they'll either stop captioning and let the subtitles do the work, or in a few cases, they'll actually caption the foreign language.
Yeah, and I have a hard time committing to one or the other....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote