TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

The Leftovers 7/27/2014 "Gladys"

OK, people. I am not a TV show thread starter. I'm a wait for someone else to start the thread and then comment kind of person.

I'm surprised there's apparently so little interest in this show. It's really drawing me in.

Spoiler based on previews for next week:

Spoiler:
Next week's episode seems to be focused on Nora, who I think is a very interesting character. I'm looking forward to it!

tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Half of my wants to really like this show. Half of me wants to cancel the season pass.

All of me wishes it would go one way or the other!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Half of my wants to really like this show. Half of me wants to cancel the season pass.

well stated, i feel exactly the same towards the show so far.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I am enjoying the show, if you could call it that. My wife said it best... I've never seen a show where it's just relentlessly depressing. I do want to see where it goes, and I hope that it goes somewhere interesting.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
Cainebj

I think it is getting better and better.

Justin Theroux is great. I love him.
I loved Amy Brenneman in Judging Amy and disliked her character in Private Practice. She's awesome - her acting with no words is impressive.
Ann Dowd is also great - I had to go look up her name. I love it when a character actress gets a good role - reminds me of Margo Martindale in The Americans.
I did not miss the son in last night's episode at all.

Basically last night they made US go to that woman's funeral. Well done.

Last edited by Cainebj : 07-28-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Jim_TV

This isn't a pleasant thought, but I was cheering when they stoned that cult member to death and she was begging for her life. I don't have much sympathy for cults, thieves or cigarette smokers.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
I don't have much sympathy for cults, thieves or cigarette smokers.
one persons "cult" is another persons "sincere and deeply held beliefs".

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

tomayto, tomahto

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
one persons "cult" is another persons "sincere and deeply held beliefs".
You have a point. I don't believe that sincere and deeply held beliefs are worthy of respect.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Test

That was a brutal opening. The bald guy is real, go figure.

I agree with Rob, but I'm leaning more towards dislike the show. All the characters are so unlikable, with the exception of the priest and his sister.

Also, it doesn't help that I believe people would act completely differently if this were to really happen. 2% of the population literally just vanish, disappear and NOW people question their faith? I would figure something like that would push more people towards religion, but here on the show it's the opposite.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
...All the characters are so unlikable, with the exception of the priest...
The priest who goes around digging up dirt on the private lives of the people who vanished, and then torments their families by plastering the town with flyers listing all that dirt? That priest?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
The priest who goes around digging up dirt on the private lives of the people who vanished, and then torments their families by plastering the town with flyers listing all that dirt? That priest?
haha exactly; he's the best of the bunch...the whole rotten bunch
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I was on the fence until the last couple of episodes, which I think have been really good. It's definitely a downer, but it's intriguing and well-done. We're starting to see more depth in the characters, and that has helped a lot.

I didn't miss the Chief's son, either. He may be the Theon of this show. The less, the better. Nothing against the guy as an actor. They've spent a lot of time on that storyline (up until this week) and it hasn't interested me. I think there's the bigger question of what happened to the Garvey family and why is the family so fragmented when it made it through "the event" intact and why did mom and son run off to join two different cults and what's *really* going on with the Chief, and so on, but the whole cult of Wayne thing hasn't grabbed me.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My biggest fear, which is growing, is that all the weirdness doesn't have a purpose; that's it's just weirdness for weirdness's sake. (E.g., last week, when Doctor Who either got magical visions or was the beneficiary of the most extraordinary coincidences in human history.)

For me, weirdness either has to amount to something, or be a whole lot weirder than this is.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #15
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
My biggest fear, which is growing, is that all the weirdness doesn't have a purpose; that's it's just weirdness for weirdness's sake.
That's our main man Lindelof. Can tell a hell of a story? You better believe it. Can he tie up the loose ends? No, he can't.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
Jim_TV

I think the police chief is the most sympathetic character on the show. Seems like a good guy. He's trying to do his job- even protecting the cult members. He's trying to do the right thing by his family, take care of his daughter, trying to stay in contact with his step-son, he obviously still cares about his wife that abandoned him and her own children. The wife is especially despicable- what kind of woman turns her back on her children?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
I think the police chief is the most sympathetic character on the show. Seems like a good guy. He's trying to do his job- even protecting the cult members. He's trying to do the right thing by his family, take care of his daughter, trying to stay in contact with his step-son, he obviously still cares about his wife that abandoned him and her own children. The wife is especially despicable- what kind of woman turns her back on her children?
But - The Chief has a dark side. He gets drunk and blacks out, apparently pretty much every night. He cheated on his wife. He yells at dry cleaners. And so on.

Maybe they'll devote an episode to explaining how he got all those tats. Guest starring Bai Ling.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #18
Ment

So is the government covering up for the KKK of the post rapture era? Seems to be alot of GR going up in smoke.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
So is the government covering up for the KKK of the post rapture era? Seems to be alot of GR going up in smoke.
It was a lot of different cults...
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #20
RegBarc

I am enjoying this show. But the first five minutes of last weeks episode was disturbing. I had a difficult time watching it, and I've seen stuff on the WatchPeopleDie subreddit without flinching.

My favorite storyline is probably the chief's, since he's lost more than families with people taken. I could deal without his nihilist daughter though. That's getting old.
RegBarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #21
hairyblue
A good Man

The show keeps playing with my emotions. I was angry when the 2 GR ladies walked passed an old man who needed their help. Then I cared about the GR lady who got snatched and tied to a tree. She speaks, to beg for her life, and the mob barbarically and biblically stone her to death.

The cops that show up seem to treat the crime scene like joke. The town folks all hate this group.

The priest cares about the murdered women and shows some sympathy to the GR group. I think that one of the GR will respond with appreciation and I start to feel for her. Then she is insulting, and I dislike her again.

I don't understand the GR group at all. The GR groups only purpose seems to push their religious views on us whether we like it or not.

And the Government said they'd come in and solve the chief's problem with the GR. I may not believe what the GR believe, but the government killing citizens? And the Chief seemed to consider the "offer", but was glad when he said no.

I'm enjoying the show, even tho it's dark. It makes me think and the emotional roller coaster is enjoyable.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #22
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
but the government killing citizens?
unless i missed something all he said was he would make them disappear and they would no longer be a problem to the town.

i did not necessarily think this meant they would be killed.

i suppose a cult thrives on peer pressure - to eliminate a cult really all you have to do is separate them and that is a start.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
tem

judging by the raid on the cult where the stepson is, I doubt they are going to simply relocate them.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
unless i missed something all he said was he would make them disappear and they would no longer be a problem to the town.

i did not necessarily think this meant they would be killed.
But I think the dead body warehouse makes it pretty clear what happens to them when they "disappear"...
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #25
jon777

So who is the chief going to sleep with first: Nora or the friend of the daughter?

Nora seems to be the one sympathetic character with no (as yet revealed) major character flaws...

Lets Go METS!
jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #26
pmyers

Quote:

Awesome post! +1

Is Lendelof the same guy who did Lost? Cause this is really feeling very similiar.

That opening scene was one of the hardest things I've watched (or looked through my fingers) on TV.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
jon777

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Awesome post! +1

Is Lendelof the same guy who did Lost? Cause this is really feeling very similiar.
Yes -- one of the 2 primary showrunners for Lost (Carlton Cuse, who I believe is involved in The Strain being the other).

Big difference here is they've said up front, that the show will not deal with the mystery of "what happened" (why the 2% disappeared), but instead will deal with the impact (what is happening in the 3 years hence).

Lets Go METS!
jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #28
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
So who is the chief going to sleep with first: Nora or the friend of the daughter?
That's a good question. I'd say it's Nora but I'll bet he's thought more about the daughter's friend.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #29
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
She speaks, to beg for her life, and the mob barbarically and biblically stone her to death.

I don't understand the GR group at all. The GR groups only purpose seems to push their religious views on us whether we like it or not.
The question is, what are their religious views? The priest quotes scripture which at least tells people what he's trying to push on them. Do we have any idea what they want people to do? Just be sad and slowly kill yourself?

When she spoke to beg for her life, I thought they would spare her, since she had surrendered. No way.

What was the deal with his shirts? Did the cult steal them or did the drycleaner really have them? Did he give him 5 other people's shirts in assorted sizes?

It's one thing if they just stand around and get in the way. But when they break into houses and steal family photos, it's hard to have sympathy for them. I wonder if they push farther in this town than usual because they know the police chief will try to protect them and not call the exterminators?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #30
teknikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
That's a good question. I'd say it's Nora but I'll bet he's thought more about the daughter's friend.

We already Garvey dreams about "Ella Dunham" (Aimee) in a sexual way. But I'm bringing Nora's parimutuel odds down by betting on her.

I am curious who he was sleeping with during the incident. He knows he is somewhat responsible for Lori/Laurie leaving him. But leaving her daughter and maybe her son also, to do this? Much of that is on her. Even though, I really don't care too much about the siblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post

What was the deal with his shirts? Did the cult steal them or did the drycleaner really have them? Did he give him 5 other people's shirts in assorted sizes?

I have to believe the shirt and alarm subplot are related and that we will see more about them later. But I am stumped (not hard to do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I wonder if they push farther in this town than usual because they know the police chief will try to protect them and not call the exterminators?
I hadn't thought about it that way, but they seemed to be doing the same things in Amarillo, TX. But we really haven't been shown that.

I like the show. Dark themes or depressing characters doesn't mean it is bad for me. I'm a sucker for mysterious plot lines. I'm looking forward to seeing how this family broke apart, too.

I believe the storyline has potential, but, so far, they've touched on the Wayne nutcase too little for me to care. It seems to have a supernatural angle and I don't want it to. But the premise has a supernatural angle so, I guess it would make sense. I'm going to need a lot more back story.

The government/cult elimination thing is weird. I haven't seen evidence of where this cult, at least, warrants this type of action but I'm sure there is a good explanation. Another reason for me to keep watching. But it will difficult not to want answers about the disappearance of those people.

teknikel is offline   Reply With Quote