TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Suits - S5 Thread *spoilers*

Doesn't seem to be enough interest obviously in an episode by episode thread, so I'll do a season thread.

I've always liked this series and the dynamics among the characters, but this season has really started out to be a soap opera. Between the Harvey / Donna angst and the marriage of Mike and Rachel, there's little time for any legal stuff. I still enjoy Louis and Harvey getting at one another, but even that's a bit stupid at times. In E2, Louis exposes Harvey's salary based on contingency which is totally rediculous. The Louis/Harvey love hate relationship, which used to change episode to episode now changes scene to scene. So to me, the series is no longer all that interesting. But of course there's Donna (and to a lesser extent Rachel) which might be enough to keep me around for awhile.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

I think I'm done. I just don't like most of these people

Pure applesauce flavored jiggery-pokery
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
john4200

All the drama of Donna going to work for Louis without any good explanation seems an obvious ploy by the writers to try to shake things up, but it has failed miserably. The only reason I can think of for Donna to do such a thing is that she wants to see if she and Harvey might have a chance at a relationship outside of work. But neither she nor Harvey have even hinted at that for being a possible reason why Donna made the move. The whole situation just makes no sense.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

I find it weird that Donna can just quit Harvey and go to work for Louis. Doesn't she have a boss, an office manager? And even if she's the boss of all secretaries, she still has to report to somebody other than Harvey.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I find it weird that Donna can just quit Harvey and go to work for Louis. Doesn't she have a boss, an office manager? And even if she's the boss of all secretaries, she still has to report to somebody other than Harvey.
From how I understand it, it's an unusual situation. Harvey brought her with him when he joined the firm, so maybe that gave her autonomy outside of the normal secretarial pool (is that still PC?). She is also being paid partially by Harvey as well (another reason why she might be 50% his employee). So I suppose it's possible that she answers only to the managing partner.

That said, yeah, it's a bit weird, but it's TV. I just thought she's working for Louis for spite, or to get Harvey to commit to her, either as his assistant or (probably) romantically. They spend at least one episode last season explaining the whole Harvey / Donna dynamic.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
smbaker

This season is annoying me. It's just too much Donna-drama.

Now we've introduced a power struggle with a partner we've never heard of before, with of course Louis doing something stupid and getting blackmailed into remaining in the middle of it.

Zane and Mike working together is an interesting dynamic. If there's a shake-up this season that I like, this is it.

We do seem to have abandoned all plot lines around Mike not being a real lawyer though. It seemed like the trend in previous seasons was more and more people finding out, progressing toward eventual doom. Nobody seems to be worried about it anymore.

smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
efilippi

Nothing left but pretty people to look at. But done in such a way that it caused my wife to comment on the tight dresses during one long shot that seemed to focus on Rachel's behind for a loong time. I didn't mind but I sure get her point.

Love Mike showing off his great memory (pick a page, any page) and therefore winning the legal argument. Really? And why does every TV law firm get to face a devious and deadly insurance company, killers of millions? Haven't we gotten rid of all them by now?

Is the '...partner we've never heard of before...' played by the same guy as the one on the Last Ship? Looks like him but where did his hair go?

Harvey and his basketball friends, his new secretary helping to solve his panic attacks... Bah, it's all just too much.

But the two ladies on their way to the charity event sure did look pretty.

efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

[QUOTE=smbaker;10561524]
Quote:
This season is annoying me. It's just too much Donna-drama.
Yep, it's like I said, soap opera like. I don't mind some of that, but when it's the primary focus, I tend to lose interest.

Quote:
Now we've introduced a power struggle with a partner we've never heard of before, with of course Louis doing something stupid and getting blackmailed into remaining in the middle of it.
How convenient. Definitely invented to cause more tension between Louis and Harvey. It would have been better if this partner had come from outside the firm and introduced rather than some random senior partner we've never seen before. This is one of the things I think The Good Wife does well.

Quote:
Zane and Mike working together is an interesting dynamic. If there's a shake-up this season that I like, this is it.
Yep, best part of the season so far. I've always liked the Zane character and I think the dynamic with him and Mike works well.

Quote:
We do seem to have abandoned all plot lines around Mike not being a real lawyer though. It seemed like the trend in previous seasons was more and more people finding out, progressing toward eventual doom. Nobody seems to be worried about it anymore.
One of my pet peeves with the series in general. The plotline of Mike not being legit ONLY seems to rear it's head when it's convenient to the plotline, instead of what it should be, the MAJOR plotline. I think we've come to the point where it's time to out him for good and let the chips fall where they may. Otherwise the series just spins it's wheels.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
Nothing left but pretty people to look at. But done in such a way that it caused my wife to comment on the tight dresses during one long shot that seemed to focus on Rachel's behind for a loong time. I didn't mind but I sure get her point.
[misogynistic comment]Well, to me, that's the only asset Rachel has left. At the beginning of the series I thought she rivaled Donna in hotness, but I'm not sure what happened, but she's just not that anymore.[/misogynistic comment]

Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #10
teknikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
[misogynistic comment]Well, to me, that's the only asset Rachel has left. At the beginning of the series I thought she rivaled Donna in hotness, but I'm not sure what happened, but she's just not that anymore.[/misogynistic comment]
I blame the makeup dept. She looks like a clown this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
teknikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I hope we've abandoned it but I have a feeling Soloff or Zane will revive that played out drama.

Louis is an idiot. I would like to have seen some growth in his character but he's still a cartoon.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

All the stuff with Donna this season is ridiculous. From what we know of her from the first four seasons of this show, she'd never leave Harvey's desk and go work for Louis. So none of this stuff rings true at all. And they're clearly setting it up for there to be some big reconciliation where she goes back to Harvey, but then that's just going to make her look even worse after all the assurances she's given Louis that she won't do that.

The whole bit with the partners redoing the compensation formula to get rid of contingency pay makes no sense. If the firm is billing the client on an hourly basis, then the attorney should be paid hourly. But if the client is paying a percentage of a deal or a percentage of a verdict/settlement, then what happens if it only took 10-20 hours to generate a $1 million fee for the firm? Does that mean Harvey would only get his hourly amount and the remainder goes to the firm's general fund?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #13
Cainebj

I agree.

Donna would have never left Harvey. Period.

Suits had a formula that worked in season 1 and now they can't seem to come up with anything other than that formula including...

Quote:
Now we've introduced a power struggle with a partner we've never heard of before
That is their big bad - there is always someone internally that the 3 of them have conflict with. Yawn.

Well - at least they aren't still rehashing Mike didn't go to Harvard...

Cainebj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #14
Dawghows

[QUOTE=Steveknj;10561601]
Quote:
One of my pet peeves with the series in general. The plotline of Mike not being legit ONLY seems to rear it's head when it's convenient to the plotline, instead of what it should be, the MAJOR plotline.
Could not possibly disagree more. IMO, the "character with a terrible secret" thing is completely played out and stupendously boring, not just on this show, but on TV in general.

What's interesting about Mike is that he has a photographic memory, not that he didn't go to Harvard. Yet there have been entire seasons about his secret, and they only mention his memory once in a rare while.

Dawghows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #15
ADG
Allan

Personally, I'm enjoying this season at least as much as previous seasons.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'm enjoying the fact that most of the conflict this season is new and not the continued rehashing of whether someone is going to find out Mike's secret. However, the Jack Soloff stuff is just cartoonishly stupid, and Jessica should have fired him long ago.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm enjoying the fact that most of the conflict this season is new and not the continued rehashing of whether someone is going to find out Mike's secret. However, the Jack Soloff stuff is just cartoonishly stupid, and Jessica should have fired him long ago.
Can Jessica just fire a partner, or does there need to be a partner vote?

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Can Jessica just fire a partner, or does there need to be a partner vote?
Senior partners are voted in and have to put up $x - the same amount the other senior partners contributed. In order to get rid of a senior partner the other sr partners would have to vote to return the contribution (unless the partner is fired "for cause" - as defined in the partnership agreement). Bottom line no - Jessica could not unilaterally fire a senior partner - though her recommendation to do so would go a long way.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
ElJay

I binged on seasons 1-4 (thanks Prime) recently and now have caught up to the current episode...

I think the show has a bad habit of letting some conflict story arcs linger on too long. The Soloff thing is the current offender. It's like they're afraid to pump out a few "mystery of the week" episodes that aren't interwoven into some bloated story arc.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #20
wprager

Did a man with a beard once kick the producer's dog?

Last edited by wprager; 08-01-2015 at 06:32 PM.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #21
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Did a man with a beard once kick the producer's dog?
I think Canadians have a different sense of humor from Chicagoans. At least this one.

What?

efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 AM   #22
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
I think Canadians have a different sense of humor from Chicagoans. At least this one.

What?
I think he meant that there are an awful lot of villains in this series with facial hair.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #23
cheesesteak
Meh.

Forget Soloff, Louis should have been fired about 17 times already.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #24
Cainebj

I'm really beginning to wonder why I am still watching as I watched the last 2 episodes.

While the idea of Harvey having panic attacks is interesting - it is also very out of character. The ploy of him going to a therapist seems like a pretty predictable dramatic device when writers don't know what else to do.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Cainebj

Question: Do you guys think all the office interiors with the NYC backgrounds is real or do you think they are on a set someplace?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Question: Do you guys think all the office interiors with the NYC backgrounds is real or do you think they are on a set someplace?
They shoot the show in Toronto. I'd be very surprised if they actually rented out a floor of a high-rise rather than building that set on a soundstage. I'm not sure how they get the NYC exteriors out the windows. Probably CGI.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #27
Cainebj

Well they have to do SOME exteriors in Manhattan because I've recognized some of the locations. Although maybe that was in the earlier seasons and they've stopped?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Well they have to do SOME exteriors in Manhattan because I've recognized some of the locations. Although maybe that was in the earlier seasons and they've stopped?
I think I read that they schedule a couple days of shooting per season in Manhattan for exteriors. But I also know that they could shoot a lot of that stuff on the streets of Toronto and just digitally insert a few NYC landmarks into the skyline.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #29
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I think he meant that there are an awful lot of villains in this series with facial hair.
You're both right. Canadians *are* different.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM   #30
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The biggest problem I have with Soloff is that he has completely come out of nowhere and not he's a power player? It's like they created the character just for this purpose. I guess they had to do it that way because unlike a show like The Good Wife, we've never seen any other senior partners besides Jessica, Hartman, Louis and Harvey. Well, maybe we did when Jessica and Hartman were fighting for control of the firm? Was Soloff there then?

Also from last week's. The whole thing with Donna trying to book The Plaza for Mike's wedding was pretty dumb and I doubt it would ever work in real life. If the point of that was for her to prove to the new secretary that she had stones, they could have done it much better.