TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
laria
Librocubicularist

The Biggest Loser: Glory Days - Season Thread *SPOILERS*

I think it should be interesting to see all these former athletes get fit again!

I am a big fan of that new Blue trainer.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Glad to have the show back and glad that theyre taking a page out of Australia's book with Bob's "secret" team. It should be an interesting seasonin regards to how people that SHOULD have had exposure to training like this hold up.
KungFuCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist

This article on EW.com, http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/11/th...er-premiere-2/, mentions:

Quote:
After Rachel Frederickson’s controversial victory last season, the producers are giving themselves a second chance with The Biggest Loser: Glory Days. All 20 contestants this year are former athletes, which theoretically should mean their minds and bodies are better suited for the intense regime expected of this competition. These former champions already know what it takes to be a winner but also understand the concept of limits and discipline, something Frederickson was criticized for lacking.
Of course, Rachel was a former national level swimmer and should have had the same discipline as any of these former athletes. Or maybe even more in some cases, a couple of them are "high school cheerleader" and "state champion basketball player", which obviously they were former athletes, but not on the same level as Rachel or some of the other people this season.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I told my wife that I would gain 200 pounds to be trained by Jennifer. lol I will not miss Jillian at all.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Jennifer reminds me a lot of Erin, the receptionist on The Office.

I'm interested in seeing how long they keep the Comeback Canyon a secret. It'll be fun seeing each person's reaction as they get out of the limo and see Bob.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
BrandonRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Yes, she does. It took me a few minutes until it clicked, but I agree 100%
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:

I'm interested in seeing how long they keep the Comeback Canyon a secret. It'll be fun seeing each person's reaction as they get out of the limo and see Bob.
In the Australian version, they usually keep it secret down to top 5 or 6 and people lose their minds when the person comes back.

The AU version (And I know I say this all the time, Im sorry) USED to be SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the US version. The last couple of seasons havent been as good and their Jillian, Michelle Bridges isnt coming back for the next season. I think she has gotten too big for their show and is actually trying to make a name for herself here in the US. She is pretty much the equivalent of Jillian celebrity wise in Australia.

Im loving the new version of the show, tho.. the new trainers seem pretty good. I really wish they would take a page out of the Australia playbook and do some of the things they did in the first 3 or 4 seasons. They really screwed with the contestants but I bet they got a lot of flack for a bunch of the stuff they did. Their temptations were off the chain.
KungFuCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

I was amused the new super hot trainer ended up with 5 of his 6 team members be women. Might have just been coincidence, but I would have picked him, too!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
laria
Librocubicularist

I feel like this season must have finished filming really close to the air date... the first 2 people to go home, their updates don't seem like they have really lost that much weight yet. I mean, 45 lbs is obviously good, but Vanessa is a big/tall lady.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I found it odd that I got Episode 2 which was 2 hours and then it looks like they re-edited the same content and aired it as Episode 3 but was only 1 hour. Are they doing that all season? I seem to recall NBC doing something like this for The Apprentice at one point.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I found it odd that I got Episode 2 which was 2 hours and then it looks like they re-edited the same content and aired it as Episode 3 but was only 1 hour. Are they doing that all season? I seem to recall NBC doing something like this for The Apprentice at one point.
I dunno but in my guide it was just labeled as an episode 2 recap, not episode 3.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I think it would be better to let the people that are eliminated stay longer with Bob, maybe the person that loses the most weight rejoins the others later in the show. It would give everyone a better chance of learning what they need to do.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I found myself almost constantly distracted by Jen's shorts during this episode!

I do enjoy the red line going for as long as it is - I think that cuts way back on all the drama that isn't really necessary for this show.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #14
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I agree on both counts!!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
laria
Librocubicularist

This season has really been kinda ho-hum.

I do not miss all the overly dramatic eliminations where they sit around the table with the domed plates, though. That was kind of weird that we had at least one of those and then they went back to the red line.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I'm glad they do the red line, it makes it a different game and eliminates the backstabbing. I do wish they kept the people with Bob a little longer though.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I have never watched this show (hits a little too close to home ) but decided to give it a try and caught up on all the episodes on NBC's app. I thought the season was over and I'm kind of mad it's not and that I can't just finish out the season real quick.

Mostly, I hate it. The editing is just so terrible, but that's a reality competition show thing. I fast forwarded through most of the weigh-ins because they are the same bleh week after week. The challenges are kind of boring, there is no real sense of actually helping the people make real lifestyle changes, the trainers go from mean and screaming to pretending to be trained psychiatric professionals. And if they berate someone for losing 3-4 lbs again, I may lose my mind.

Of course, I can't stop watching now and have to see the end! I don't think I will be back though.

I do like looking at Jesse, he is easy on the eyes, and I love Jen's personality. It's so hilarious, though, the ridiculous things the trainers say somethings. It's like word soup, it doesn't even mean anything. I feel like that's a Twitter account waiting to happen - totally meaningless word soup platitudes from Biggest Loser trainers.

Oh, and Comeback Canyon seems like a big failure. I guess it is nice for the contestants to get another week or two, but it really seems disjointed from the rest of the show and as a newcomer I don't know why anyone would like Bob, he's got no screen presence in the role they've put him in.

Last thought - the voting out is terrible. Just do the red line and be done with it. Going from voting to red line to voting was not successful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard

Last edited by Zevida : 01-08-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #18
laria
Librocubicularist

The quality of the show has gone downhill in recent years. It used to be better nearer to the beginning.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #19
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Well, the makeovers are always fun!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist

Yeah... Sonya looked really good. Lori looked good but wow she really should have worn more sunscreen during her softball career. Toma looked like 20 years younger... I never paid attention to how old he was, I really thought he was like in his late 40's/early 50's. I was shocked when he started talking about "starting a family" and I noticed it said he was 33. Rob looked good, too, although he's still got a ways to go.

I knew they were going to drag out the reveal of who actually went back to the ranch.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #21
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I still enjoy the show. I really like how people change their lives. Zevida over the years I would say a lot of the people have changed their lives and have helped other people change their lives. Some have put the weight back on too. This season you don't really get enough of Bob to see why he's a lot of peoples favorite trainer. If you think these trainers are bad you should have seen Jillian, she was the worst of the bunch as far as yelling. I agree I wish it was red line only, this year they've had less of the voting off. In previous seasons it was almost all voting and it can eliminate a good player on a bad week and brought too much manufactured drama.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #22
laria
Librocubicularist

Yeah I have liked the more frequent use of the red line this year. In the past it was only occasional and the stupid manufactured voting drama was lame. They even used to film the hour that they had before the voting where people had time to discuss things... it used to be much more clique-y. I am guessing that it still is, but with the reduction of the show from 2 to 1 hour, we don't see as much of that.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #23
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Well, the makeovers are always fun!
Very effective television - I just watched it and cried pretty much the whole time. Definitely the best of the season.

Everyone did look so much younger, but that seems pretty typical for a makeover for anyone. I was also surprised by Toma's age - and he looked adorable in the bow tie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Old 01-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #24
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I hope Scott comes back. The other guy just seems angry and irritating.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #25
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
I hope Scott comes back. The other guy just seems angry and irritating.
Yea he almost looked disappointed that he wasn't done when Bob opened the door. I really like Scott.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 AM   #26
Zevida
witless and unarmed

So what should I expect from this week's episode, since last week they kept saying it was the last week at the ranch. What do the top 3 do now to get to a winner?

- billypritchard
Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 AM   #27
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
So what should I expect from this week's episode, since last week they kept saying it was the last week at the ranch. What do the top 3 do now to get to a winner?
It's the live finale. Everyone on the show is back at the auditorium where they have it, they all weigh in and do the at-home prize, then the 3 finalists weigh in and you find out who won.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #28
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Interesting, thanks! How much real life time passes between the last weigh-in we saw at the ranch and the finale?

It seems kind of weird that the candidates don't compete or work-out between the previous weigh-in and the finale.

- billypritchard
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #29
laria
Librocubicularist

They used to show video diaries and stuff of the people when they were at home between leaving the ranch and the finale. I want to say it's like a month? They don't do that anymore really, though.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #30
Zevida
witless and unarmed

How often does someone gain weight in the finale? Seems like that would be a real risk, although I could also see that the people who make it to the final three are so motivated by the prize they can keep it going for another month.

- billypritchard