TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
JETarpon

House of Cards - "Chapter 52"

This isn't really so much as an episode thread, as an "end of season 4" thread, and I wanted to follow up on my previous episode post.

I now think the reason Stamper made the big donation was to get the attention of the widow. Rachel's gone, and he has a new infatuation.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
GoPackGo

Holy cow. I thought this was the best season of the whole series so far.

GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
Cainebj

I really enjoyed it although I have come to despise Claire - I was happy that mid-season took a turn away from them being estranged.

Ellen Burstyn was awesome.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
sushikitten
125 down! 16 to go!

TV shows rarely give me chills. The last scene got me. #fu2016 #terror

Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
sushikitten
125 down! 16 to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
I now think the reason Stamper made the big donation was to get the attention of the widow. Rachel's gone, and he has a new infatuation.
I agree. It started off as guilt but where can it honestly go? He basically killed her husband.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
GoPackGo

Is Claire going to do monologues to the camera next season?

GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Is Claire going to do monologues to the camera next season?
I was expecting one at the end.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

YESSS! She was amazing the whole season!

The powerful, passive-aggressive apple doesn't fall far from the crazy tree!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
aindik

If this was a DVD, I'd want to see an outtake where Frank is in the middle of a monologue to the camera, and Claire interrupts him, like, "who the hell are you talking to?"

When Frank basically threatened to kill Kathy Durant, that whole scene was, wow.

I'm surprised Hammerschmidt didn't believe Frank murdered Russo and Barnes.

How did Tom (the other Tom, the author/speechwriter) get clearance to be in the situation room?

I didn't quite get what Doug was asking the President for, at the end. Was he basically saying he didn't want to watch the beheading?

aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
rifleman69

Quote:
I really enjoyed it although I have come to despise Claire - I was happy that mid-season took a turn away from them being estranged.

Claire enjoys the power and the two of them work well as a team. Their love life is pretty much a non-issue right now.

rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #11
VegasVic
Craps Player

Solid season, I enjoy this show. Sucks to have to wait a year for more. I've always been a Spacey fan. I've never really liked Robin Wright but she's good in this role.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #12
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

Quote:
And maybe it's just me, but the widow has a lot in common visually with the late Rachel Posner.

I particularly like the development of the Stamper character over the series. Sure, at times, he's shallow, but at other times, he's very deep.

On a more general note: Does it seem like they start spoon feeding us more as the series has gone on? The fourth wall breaches used to be occasional and insightful, but not a direct cue. Now, it seems like they're going out of their way to make us see stuff. Perhaps the most overt example was when the Underwoods and Yates were having breakfast. With the length of the scene, they could have just as well put a big text overlay that said "LOOK! THEY'RE IN AN OPEN MARRIAGE! LOOK!".

Personally, I rate the seasons from best to worst as follows:

1. Season 2
2. Season 1
3. Season 4
4. Season 3

Frank was at his best when he was on the way up. He's not nearly as interesting when he's actually on top. IMO

Brad

bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
HobokenSkier

Quote:
This isn't really so much as an episode thread, as an "end of season 4" thread, and I wanted to follow up on my previous episode post.

Don't you just want to yell at the widow run, run away and hide.

HobokenSkier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
HobokenSkier

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
When Frank basically threatened to kill Kathy Durant, that whole scene was, wow.

We'll that's all going to come back and bite him in the ass

Quote:
I didn't quite get what Doug was asking the President for, at the end. Was he basically saying he didn't want to watch the beheading?
He's resigning to go full on terminator?

HobokenSkier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #15
Robin
#DistractinglySexy

Quote:

Ew. I didn't think that, just that he paid up out of guilt. I figured the donation was going to hurt them politically. I'm still not sure it won't.

Quote:

I was expecting one at the end.
Yeah, the last several episodes I was waiting for one.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
Personally, I rate the seasons from best to worst as follows:

1. Season 2
2. Season 1
3. Season 4
4. Season 3
Funny, that is my ranking as well.

I thought this was a bit of a slow burn, but the payoff...well...paid off.

I'm assuming Conway will be back. But something about casting Joel Kinnaman was off for me.

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #17
BrettStah

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had to google the name, but now that I have, I'm not surprised to find out he's not American. There was something "off" with some of his delivery that made me think that was the case.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #18
JohnB1000

I think Joel Kinnaman was too young for the position he was being presented as and somehow "too cool" for a real politician. There was nothing off in his accent as far as I can tell. I've been him in quite a few things and was quite surprised to read that he grew up in Sweden (with an American father).

Old 03-27-2016, 04:13 AM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Well, everyone things Lucas was crazy. Even Hammerschmidt said that Lucas had the story right, just had the facts wrong. So without proof of the murders (and who would be able to provide that besides Frank?), it's much easier to believe it was the delusions of a deranged lunatic rather than that POTUS is a murderer.

Quote:
I think he was simply asking that Frank not require him to be there to watch the beheading. As a recovering alcoholic, he didn't want to view that and then have to live with those images but not be able to drink to drown them out. At least that was the implication. We know he was just using that as an excuse to go see his new girlfriend. I was surprised that she didn't think it was odd that the Chief of Staff was sitting in a car in front of her house during a very critical moment for POTUS.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:04 AM   #20
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I think Joel Kinnaman was too young for the position he was being presented as and somehow "too cool" for a real politician. There was nothing off in his accent as far as I can tell. I've been him in quite a few things and was quite surprised to read that he grew up in Sweden (with an American father).
His accent didn't sound very presidential* to me. It's basically the same American accent he used as a cop on The Killing. He was believable as an American just not what I expect from a politician.

*Of course, I may have to revisit what I consider presidential after this election cycle.

realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #21
Mikeyis4dcats

Wholeheartedly agree about Kinnamen. He's bugged me all season because of it. They could have done so much better.

Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
His accent didn't sound very presidential* to me. It's basically the same American accent he used as a cop on The Killing. He was believable as an American just not what I expect from a politician.

*Of course, I may have to revisit what I consider presidential after this election cycle.
I had no idea that was the same guy from the killing. His accent in that was more urban though.
Quote:

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #23
TheDewAddict
tciddAweDehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
Wholeheartedly agree about Kinnamen. He's bugged me all season because of it. They could have done so much better.
I liked him in 'The Killing', but his delivery style fit his character well there. Here, I don't really believe him as a politician.

TheDewAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #24
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think he was simply asking that Frank not require him to be there to watch the beheading. As a recovering alcoholic, he didn't want to view that and then have to live with those images but not be able to drink to drown them out. At least that was the implication. We know he was just using that as an excuse to go see his new girlfriend. I was surprised that she didn't think it was odd that the Chief of Staff was sitting in a car in front of her house during a very critical moment for POTUS.
I think you're reading too much into it. I think it was simply: "My first allegiance is to you and if you need me here now I'll stay, but there's something personal that's very important to me and I'd very much like to attend to it right now."

ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #25
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDewAddict View Post
I liked him in 'The Killing', but his delivery style fit his character well there. Here, I don't really believe him as a politician.
Yeah. His haircut was terrible too. He looked like a defendant dressed up for court.

Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #26
cheesesteak
Meh.

This was the best season yet.

Fo' Fo' Fo' - Moses Malone
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

For some reason, I didn't even realize this season had already been released and just watched them all over the last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Solid season, I enjoy this show. Sucks to have to wait a year for more. I've always been a Spacey fan. I've never really liked Robin Wright but she's good in this role.
I agree about the season and the show, but I'm just the opposite regarding Spacey and Wright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDewAddict View Post
I thought the same thing throughout the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
This was the best season yet.
While I enjoyed it, I don't think it was the best.

I do enjoy it more when they're (Pres/First Lady) working as a team, so there was a large part of the season (beginning) when I didn't really care for it. Also wasn't crazy about the getting shot story line (didn't want Meechum to die, didn't see the need for the Prez to get shot, thought it was an easy way out for the shooter character), but overall a good season.