TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
JYoung
Series 3

Person of Interest - S4E10 - "The Cold War” - 12/16/2014

CBS has been doing some interesting scheduling of late.
I’m not sure why this episode was run this week instead of last, but….

When we left our dream team, they were dealing with the ramifications of Shaw’s cover being blown and how it’s affecting our team.

Shaw is not happy but (eventually) agrees with the necessity and ably proves that they can’t hold her.

Meanwhile, Samaritan is flexing it’s powers because it wants the Machine’s attention.

First, it tries to help our team but it’s solution to the current number’s abusive husband is to kill the husband, which our team doesn’t approve of.

Then, it helps out the police by giving by tipping them off to criminals.
In short, it turns NYC almost into a crime free utopia.

But when the Machine refuses to do a sit down with Samaritan, it goes the other way and shows how bad it can make things by tipping off criminals and leaking sensitive information, requiring our team to run themselves ragged protecting innocents (and without Shaw in the field).

In this, we again see how little regard Samaritan has for human life.

When the Machine agrees to the sit-down, we get to see one of the better written scenes of the series so far.

I had thought that Claire, the hacker that Samaritan recruited, would be it’s analog interface.
But using a child makes sense because Samaritan really is a child.
It didn’t like how the Machine was refusing to speak to it, so it kicked over the board.
It bragged about how it was better than the Machine and how it would win in the end.

And while both “Gods” acknowledged how they needed humans, I suspect Samaritan would rather we serve it like Vaal.

Then, in what appears to be a tantrum, Samaritan decides to hit us where it hurts by crashing the Stock Market.

We also saw some backstory on Greer (who has essentially spoiled Samaritan instead of enforcing a moral code) as an MI 6 agent who was betrayed by his double agent boss.

So it’s somewhat understandable as to why he thinks that Samaritan running every thing is a great idea.

But with all the chaos going on, Shaw can’t sit back idly anymore and goes out to help our Team, putting herself in Martine’s crosshairs eventually.

A fascinating kickoff for this episode trilogy.

Also, Root in the bear suit.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Also, Root in the bear suit.
That seismic activity that was detected was a million Furries' heads exploding.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
robojerk

I think eventually Samaritan will go too far even for Greer, and then the "admin" role will be redundant.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
jamesl

Quote:
When the Machine agrees to the sit-down, we get to see one of the better written scenes of the series so far.

I had thought that Claire, the hacker that Samaritan recruited, would be it’s analog interface.
But using a child makes sense because Samaritan really is a child....
I thought that scene was kind of weird and creepy

Root knows who and what the machine is
Does the boy understand what that voice in his head is ?

Root speaks to the machine and it speaks to her, but she maintains her own consciousness
Does the boy maintain his consciousness ? Or is he "possessed"?
Does he understand the conversation he's having with Root ?
What does the boy remember after the conversation is over ?
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post

Root speaks to the machine and it speaks to her, but she maintains her own consciousness
The kid is just like Root, only younger. At the beginning of the conversation, Samaritan said, through the boy, that "This boy has already hacked into the Pentagon and DARPA", or something like that.

Some of the vocabulary Samaritan was using, though, did seem a little out of his range.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post

Count me in as someone not impressed with the choice of a young boy as Samaritan's analog interface. Raises the questions you posit and more. Seemed to me to be done for cheap shock value, something this writing team does not do too often like many less talented teams do.

So we see that once again somehow Root is special. She can be seen by Samaritan's human operatives and still walk around yet Shaw having been seen by analog intelligences, cannot. Root has a plethora of bogus human IDs masked from Samaritan whereas seemingly Shaw and the rest have only one, and once blown...
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
eddyj

Shaw in the PedoBear, I mean Berenstein Bear costume would have been funnier.

And I got the impression that Samaritan took over the kid, not like what the Machine does with Root. Which would make sense, given Samaritan just sees humans as tools, not as people.

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
That seismic activity that was detected was a million Furries' heads exploding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I think eventually Samaritan will go too far even for Greer, and then the "admin" role will be redundant.
I'm still waiting for Samaritan to declare Greer "as deviant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

So we see that once again somehow Root is special. She can be seen by Samaritan's human operatives and still walk around yet Shaw having been seen by analog intelligences, cannot. Root has a plethora of bogus human IDs masked from Samaritan whereas seemingly Shaw and the rest have only one, and once blown...
The issue is that Samaritan can see Shaw now because she acted incongruously with a standard cosmetics counter person with her reaction to Martine while it still doesn't see Root, Reese, Finch, or the three tech guys (I'm assuming) as themselves.

And we know that Samaritan can be a big help in tracking down people.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
eddyj

I still love how the make ZERO effort to disguise themselves.

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
DouglasPHill

I figured Shaw would start wearing the bear costume
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
And I got the impression that Samaritan took over the kid, not like what the Machine does with Root. Which would make sense, given Samaritan just sees humans as tools, not as people.
With what kind of tech?

When Root enters the room, we see her take note of the earwig in the kids ear. I'm pretty sure that's just comms, not a neural interface.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I still love how the make ZERO effort to disguise themselves.
To be fair, there were a couple of times that Reese and Shaw wore ski masks while running assignments for the Machine.

But I think they are falling into the standard TV and Movies trope that when one of our main characters goes undercover, they make little effort to disguise themselves and they use their real first name.

One consideration is that they don't want the actor spending too much time in makeup but mostly it's because they want the audience to be able to recognize our character with barely any effort.

Which is why David Banner was usually something like "David Beckworth" or "David Boomer" and Sonny Crockett's undercover ID was "Sonny Burnett".
They wouldn't want the audience to get confused by this "Mike Burnett" guy who's really Sonny Crockett.

There's also that directors like to be able to see an actor's face in order to help convey their emotions.
That's the main reason Peter Parker had to take off his mask to save the train in Spider-Man 2.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #13
pgogborn

Quote:
I'm still waiting for Samaritan to declare Greer "as deviant".
Samitiran is the child who selected a child as an avatar - perhaps the declaration will be "too old".

(although it should be remembered that the actor who plays Greer is the show runners uncle)
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
One consideration is that they don't want the actor spending too much time in makeup but mostly it's because they want the audience to be able to recognize our character with barely any effort.
True but I wouldn't have much trouble recognizing them if they wore a hat.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote