TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Gerryex

I Love Lucy Superstar Special

Hi ALL,

Did anyone watch this. I was always a fan of I Love Lucy but haven't seen any in a long time so I recorded this. When I finally got around to watching I was pleasantly surprised on how nice the image was. Yes, it was colorized and I know a lot of people hate that but I don't mind it and I thought it must have used a new process as the colors were very nice and saturated. Other colorized things I've seen in the past always seemed washed out and not looking very good. Here there was a nice sharpness to the image with quite good contrast. When some of the woman wore dark pants they were really dark.

Does anyone know if they re-mastered the episodes. If so that would explain why it looked so good.

As far as the episodes I always liked the one with William Holden and although I must have seen it a hundred times I still laughed through the whole episode. In fact I laughed more than when I watch some modern comedies!! The Superman episode was one of my least favorites but it still was fun to watch. Why didn't they pick another episode for the second half. One of my other favorites is the one with John Wayne!

Anyway it was a lot of fun to watch!

Gerry

Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

I happened to catch this. It was on the TV in the kitchen when we were getting ready to eat dinner and we just left it on. Yes, there were some LOL moments. I only vaguely remembered the Holden episode and had no recollection of the Superman one. Nothing about that seemed familiar. However, just as well as yes it is pretty weak compared to many others available.

I have no problem with the colorization of I Love Lucy for the purposes used. However, I would prefer to watch it in black and white.

With colorization I wonder if they go back and research the what actual color of their outfits. I know in some movies they do that, but for ILL my guess is probably not.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
TonyD79

I thought they did research on the first hour they did like this so they probably did. There are lots of color photos of the sets and home movies.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I watched both of those shows when they first aired. I had been watching Superman and some of the other kids shows that were on at the time, and almost by accident, saw the Lucy and Superman ep.

You pretty much watched anything that was on back then. Lots of westerns and medical shows. We only got 2 1/2 channels back then, 3 1/2 on a good day. We didn't even get a local station until 1962. And it had limited broadcast hours.

It was nice to revisit those Lucy episodes and see them in color.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Superman's black and white costume was really brown.

You can see what colors they had on Lucy set here:
I Love Lucy - On Stage Color Footage (1951)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxsiItd1iN8

It looks to me like they didn't use any strange colors to make it look good on B&W.

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
With colorization I wonder if they go back and research the what actual color of their outfits. I know in some movies they do that, but for ILL my guess is probably not.
There's a colorized version of the episode with Lucy in Scotland in the DVD collection; in that case, I think they based the colors on color film they took of some of the scenes, as well as some color photographs they took at the time for publicity purposes.

Remember that a lot of costumes in the black-and-white days had their colors chosen because of how they would appear in black and white, so going by the "actual color" is not always a good thing.

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Superman's black and white costume was really brown.
I had forgotten about that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Remember that a lot of costumes in the black-and-white days had their colors chosen because of how they would appear in black and white, so going by the "actual color" is not always a good thing.
As Mike Andrews above points out above! That makes sense.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Hi ALL,
As far as the episodes I always liked the one with William Holden and although I must have seen it a hundred times I still laughed through the whole episode. In fact I laughed more than when I watch some modern comedies!!

Anyway it was a lot of fun to watch!

Gerry
We caught part of this special when TiVo switched back to live TV and it happened to be on. We came in on the William Holden episode after he shows up at their place. Definitely fun to watch again after so long (and yes we laughed also).

Growing up in the 60's and 70's we probably watched every episode at least twice in reruns (along with the Flintstones and Star Trek) as that's what was on in the afternoons after we got out of school.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
mattack

I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. I will presumably watch it, unless I fill up my Tivo soon after the new season begins. (yeah, I'm in no hurry to watch it).

I'm being somewhat hypocritical, because (1) I hate colorization, (2) this is essentially a 'rerun' so thus LIKELY cut for time (not seeing the entire episodes)... Also, I see "I Love Lucy" more as a historical touchstone, as its making basically invented the modern sitcom... and even though I saw a TON of the episodes as a kid, I've never thought it was all that *funny*. (There are other shows from roughly that era, including "sitcoms", like "Leave it to Beaver", that I really liked, though LitB wasn't hilarious either.. except maybe Eddie Haskel.)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote