TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
CraigK
(unspecified)

Angry Deutschland 83 on Sundance TV Subtitles

I was looking forward to this show but am having trouble following it because of the subtitles.

I normally have no trouble with subtitles, but the small white lettering they've chosen to use in the English subtitles makes it nearly impossible read a good portion of the time.

Although I was getting the gist of what was going on I stopped about 15 minutes into the first episode because I was sure I was missing part of the storyline. It doesn't help that Sundance in not available on Comcast here in HD, so I'm going to check online/on-demand and see if it's more readable on my computer rather than watching it on my TV using my TiVo.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
OhFiddle

Exact same experience. Just a few minutes in and I realized the subtitles were going to be an issue, and stopped watching to look for an alternative. As I understand it the entire show is in German with subtitles too. No HD channel here either. The OnDemand one shows it is in HD, but I just tried it on the computer and they look pretty bad there too. Very small, very poor font choice, and often completely obscured by overlaying something white in the background. May have to wait and see if they fix it and catch-up on it at a later date. I'm sure it will not be good for ratings though.

Don't they have real people screen these things outside of a screening room with huge screens? Similar issue with the poor audio on many shows. The jarring atmospheric sound on shows like Hannibal is horrible for many home viewers. Dialog is low and muffled, so you turn sound up to hear it....then just about blow out the speakers and wake up the whole neighborhood when they switch to sound effects/music. Have to watch a lot of shows with the captions on already. Bad captions/subtitles are even worse.

OhFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I didn't have too much trouble reading the subs on my 55" LCD, and finished the whole episode. While I like the show so far, I'm not sure if I'm going to be patient enough for a lot of episodes watching with subs. I'll give it at least one more episode before I decide if I want to put the effort in with other stuff to watch.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
ElJay

The subtitles are definitely some of the smallest I have seen. I could read them, but it took more concentration. I prefer them to be yellow.

I thought the show was OK, but I feel like I have watched this plot before.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
CraigK
(unspecified)

I ended up watching it on an iPad online on Xfinity. The subtitles were clearer than watching it on my computer (which was better than on the TiVo with SD Sundance channel).

I'm assuming the other episodes will be available as they are broadcast. The downside is that they expire rather quickly so I can't save up episodes to watch. Also I get to watch the commercials.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #6
evx

Agreed. Tried to watch, and think I would have really liked it, but gave up after 15 minutes of struggling with unreadable subtitles.

Yes, the size is an issue, but the fact that they are white, with no contrasting outline, makes them TOTALLY unreadable when anything white or even light comes into the picture.

I watch subtitled movies all the time, but I've never seen anything this bad. Typically, subtitles are outllined in a contrasting color to make them readable no matter the background. This is unbelievably incompetent!

evx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Barmat

Reminds me of The Americans. I like it but also feel it's been done.

Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #8
MyM3

Completely agree with all of the above. If they had at least used a dark contrasting shadow to the text I could live with the size. Or maybe used yellow for the subs. If I change the screen mode of my 46" Samsung LED/LCD display from Full to Zoom I can read them but whenever the background is either white or light grey (i.e. overcast or cloudy sky) the subs are virtually invisible.

G. Gordon Liddy
MyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #9
CraigK
(unspecified)

It looks like for the second episode they changed the subtitles to white with a black outline instead of just white. A little improvement, but I still had trouble with them and watched on an iPad again. I might try the Zoom option and see if that helps for the third episode.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #10
MyM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
It looks like for the second episode they changed the subtitles to white with a black outline instead of just white.
Thanks - I haven't seen Episode 2 ("Brave Guy") yet. Hopefully the black outline will be an improvement.

G. Gordon Liddy
MyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote