TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
ElJay

Suits - Season 6 (2016-17) *spoilers*

So the predicable show, the last dying breath of USA's "Characters Matter" lineup carries on.

I wish they had jumped ahead in time a bit. The same terrible writing is still around, where the characters yell for each other for thirty seconds as if every conversation is the most important thing ever to happen. The problem in any yelling match is then resolved by a subsequent yelling match a few minutes later.

Mike made a mistake in prison that could have been seen coming from a thousand miles away. For a really smart guy like Mike, a conman himself, to act so dumb in prison is rather absurd.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
Mikeyis4dcats

yeah, watching just because I've watched since the beginning at this point. I kind of hope they call it a day after this season

Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
mr.unnatural

Season 6 is gearing up to be a version of Shawshank Redemption. The movie was already mentioned in the season premiere so I think it's more than just a passing mention. Mike will probably get his ass kicked for a while and then start helping the inmates with their appeals. What better place for him to be a lawyer illegally than in prison?

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

I would have made the same mistake Mike made in prison. Who would have thought his new roommate would cozy up to him to get blackmail info on Harvey? Not me.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
yeah, watching just because I've watched since the beginning at this point. I kind of hope they call it a day after this season
this +1

the scenes in the first episode with them arguing in the office were way stupid.

i am hoping Mike gets raped in prison - that would make it worth watching

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
i am hoping Mike gets raped in prison - that would make it worth watching
Oooookaaaayyyyy.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Cainebj

aw c'mon Mike needs some good Oz-like scenes.
Where's Chris Meloni and JK Simmons when you need them?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I would have made the same mistake Mike made in prison. Who would have thought his new roommate would cozy up to him to get blackmail info on Harvey? Not me.
I didn't see the Harvey angle, but I was definitely suspect of the "cellmate" when he was so open on the first night, and then I knew there was some kind of scam going on when he offered the use of the phone and kept pushing it. I figured it was just a trick by the guards to see if they could get him to break the rules (by using the phone) right off the bat and then they could punish him.

All the stuff in the office so far the first two episodes has been beyond ludicrous. Get served with a lawsuit at midnight and settle it the next morning? Please.

Jessica knew she couldn't personally give money to Soloff because it would open up the firm to a piercing the corporate veil charge. But then she personally "loans" money to Zane to give to Soloff right in front of Soloff and openly says that she's fine if she never gets paid back? Please.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm pretty sure that Mike's cellmate is a dead man walking.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
pendragn

I guess I'm in the minority, I've liked both episodes so far this season. It's got to be tough keeping a show going this long and try to find the right balance of shaking things up so it doesn't get boring, but not shaking things up too much to annoy people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, I've liked both episodes so far this season. It's got to be tough keeping a show going this long and try to find the right balance of shaking things up so it doesn't get boring, but not shaking things up too much to annoy people.
I didn't say I disliked the episodes. I've always found the legal stuff in this show to be fairly ridiculous, and these last two episodes were even more ridiculous than usual.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
john4200

The legal issues are not the only thing that is ridiculous.

Mike has been a complete moron, over and over. Most recently, when the guard walked in just in time to keep him from getting stabbed, how stupid do you have to be to not tell the guard that Gallo has a knife on him and was about to stab Mike? That would definitely get Gallo out of there, and the no snitch rule hardly applies when the guy you are "snitching" on was about to have two other guys hold you while he stabbed you.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
The legal issues are not the only thing that is ridiculous.

Mike has been a complete moron, over and over. Most recently, when the guard walked in just in time to keep him from getting stabbed, how stupid do you have to be to not tell the guard that Gallo has a knife on him and was about to stab Mike? That would definitely get Gallo out of there, and the no snitch rule hardly applies when the guy you are "snitching" on was about to have two other guys hold you while he stabbed you.
Gallo might (probably) would have been disciplined for having the shiv, but 1. he's already shown that he has some of the guards in his back pocket, 2. even if he gets sent to solitary for a few weeks, he'll be back at some point and will be a danger to Mike, and 3. the accomplices would spread the word that Mike is a snitch, and then Mike's life in prison will be even more of a living hell than it already was.

Bottom line: you don't snitch unless you can be 100% certain that nobody will find out who snitched and/or you can be certain that the person you snitched on will never have any way to retaliate against you. Mike didn't have either of those assurances, so he was smart to keep his mouth shut.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Bottom line: you don't snitch unless you can be 100% certain that nobody will find out who snitched and/or you can be certain that the person you snitched on will never have any way to retaliate against you. Mike didn't have either of those assurances, so he was smart to keep his mouth shut.
Nope. That's absurd. It was incredibly stupid to not tell the guard that Gallo had a knife. Mike was seconds away from being stabbed. You don't let someone who is about to stab you get away because of some vague rule about not snitching.

Besides, Gallo would have been out of there and back at a maximum security prison as soon as he was found with a knife, let alone being caught about to stab someone. He might be able to bribe some of the guards, but obviously he does not have all of them in his pocket, and getting caught with a knife in the middle of an assault on an inmate is not something that he can cover up. And even if Gallo could cover it up (which is ridiculous to believe), just letting an honest guard know (and also Mike should tell his counselor) would be enough to protect Mike, since while some guards might be willing to take a bribe, they would not be foolish enough to let a prisoner -- who had already reported an assault with a knife -- get seriously injured while they were supposed to be watching. That would lead to an investigation and then their cozy bribe situation would go away, and possibly get them fired and/or prosecuted.

Last edited by john4200; 07-22-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

Mike will be running the prison in about three episodes.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Nope. That's absurd. It was incredibly stupid to not tell the guard that Gallo had a knife. Mike was seconds away from being stabbed. You don't let someone who is about to stab you get away because of some vague rule about not snitching.

Besides, Gallo would have been out of there and back at a maximum security prison as soon as he was found with a knife, let alone being caught about to stab someone. He might be able to bribe some of the guards, but obviously he does not have all of them in his pocket, and getting caught with a knife in the middle of an assault on an inmate is not something that he can cover up. And even if Gallo could cover it up (which is ridiculous to believe), just letting an honest guard know (and also Mike should tell his counselor) would be enough to protect Mike, since while some guards might be willing to take a bribe, they would not be foolish enough to let a prisoner -- who had already reported an assault with a knife -- get seriously injured while they were supposed to be watching. That would lead to an investigation and then their cozy bribe situation would go away, and possibly get them fired and/or prosecuted.
I'm not going to argue with you about this. Let's just say I strongly disagree and leave it at that.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
john4200

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you about this.
Naturally, since what Mike did is completely ridiculous and there is no reasonable argument to the contrary.

I'm Mike and I just want to be stabbed! I'll let it happen as soon as Gallo wants to try again! Wheeee!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #18
pendragn

Quote:
I know two guys that have been to prison. Not jail, prison. Both of them were very clear that snitching was a very, very bad thing to do in prison. I believe them.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #19
john4200

Quote:
I know two guys that have been to prison. Not jail, prison. Both of them were very clear that snitching was a very, very bad thing to do in prison. I believe them.
Do you know any guys who have been stabbed repeatedly with a knife or shiv? How many very's do they put before bad when they describe the experience?

Or if they died, how many very's is that worth?

The thing you need to understand is that snitching usually means telling that someone has contraband in their cell, or maybe telling that someone punched you or whatever.

Telling the guards about being held by two guys while a third is about to stab you with a knife is not snitching. It is self defense.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #20
wprager

I think the writing is getting ********* bad.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
Cainebj

It makes me think when the people who created this show came up with the idea to have a guy with a photographic memory be an imposter lawyer they had no clue as to what to do if he got caught.

The whole thing is ridiculous including Harvey being able to get in to see Mike not once but twice in a couple of days. Can any inmate in any prison see their lawyer that much that easily?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #22
pendragn

Quote:
Telling the guards about being held by two guys while a third is about to stab you with a knife is not snitching. It is self defense.
That is an important distinction, I agree. And certainly when we were talking about it it wasn't about situations as dire as that. Prison is such a weird, specific environment I'm not sure how well our outside world views hold up. If I'm ever hanging out with either of those guys again (they've both moved away) I'll ask. It's very fascinating to me.
Quote:
It makes me think when the people who created this show came up with the idea to have a guy with a photographic memory be an imposter lawyer they had no clue as to what to do if he got caught.
They're on season 6 now. I think it's all gravy at this point. I wonder how many shows, especially cable shows, make it this far. In the writers' minds, this is a great problem to have.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #23
Cainebj

Quote:
They're on season 6 now. I think it's all gravy at this point. I wonder how many shows, especially cable shows, make it this far. In the writers' minds, this is a great problem to have.
ehhhh hmmmmm no.

In my mind - good TV shows go into it having a beginning, middle and END.

My point is the creators didn't have a plan, which for me = fail.

The result is the craptastic writing we are getting now.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
ehhhh hmmmmm no.

In my mind - good TV shows go into it having a beginning, middle and END.

My point is the creators didn't have a plan, which for me = fail.

The result is the craptastic writing we are getting now.
Do you realize that's almost unheard of for a TV show writer to have a plan for the entire series before it starts?

The LOST writers always claimed they knew how the series would end, but as we found out, all they really knew was the final scene. They had no idea how they would actually get there.

Even Vince Gilligan, who created Breaking Bad and had a general idea of where he wanted the show to end up, has said that it's a mistake to go into the writing process thinking you know how the the story will play out because it could prevent you from being open to better story ideas that might come later.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
john4200

Another thing that did not make sense about that knife scene is that there are certain to be surveillance cameras all around that common area. It is unlikely there is any portion of the common area that does not have a camera on it, and the middle of the room probably has multiple cameras.

And you have to figure that the guards do not have the ability to turn off the cameras or stop them recording. Because the Warden is going to want to have video whenever something goes down, so that if a guard can be blamed, then he has video of it, since if there is no scapegoat, then the Warden takes the heat when something goes wrong.

Even in the unlikely event that the guards are able to cut the video for a while, you have to figure that they did not know Gallo was going to stab Mike. They must have thought he was going to rough him up a bit, but nothing too serious. Because they would have never agreed to cut the video if they thought Gallo was going to send Mike to intensive care or kill him. Since if that happened, and the investigation found that the guards were away from their post and the video had been cut, those guards would be toast. Getting fired would be the least of their problems.

So, the only way I can see that whole situation coming about is if:

1) The Warden is a fool and has a surveillance setup where the guards are able to cut the video

2) The guards Gallo bribed were duped into thinking Gallo was just going to gut punch Mike a few times, no serious or visible damage. The guards were also rather foolish to actually leave -- that does not really protect them from repercussions. If they were going to cut the video anyway, it would have been smarter to stay and make sure things did not go too far.

3) Gallo is an idiot. This is the most plausible of the conditions, since he does seem to let his emotions rule his reason when it comes to Harvey. Gallo should have jumped Mike somewhere that has a camera blindspot, quickly knifed Mike, and then slipped away. Or better yet, get another prisoner to do it. It's not like there would be any doubt in Harvey's mind who is responsible, and hurting Harvey seems to be Gallo's main goal.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
wprager

Didn't they mention earlier on about some cameras being out? Or am I remembering from another show? Also, Gallo had no intention of killing Mike because he wanted to stretch things out. It's easy enough to stab someone in the arm without risking killing them. Or maybe he's a GoT fan and figured a couple gut shots would just slow Mike down a bit.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #27
wprager

So Gallo has been in for 13 years of a 15 year term. Clearly he has not gotten out for good behavior, yet somehow he can transfer to a minimum security prison? And if he only has 2 years left, would he really risk being caught now? Wouldn't he be able to do much more to get back at Harvey after getting out?

Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #28
wprager

And do we really need another corrupt prison guards trope.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #29
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Didn't they mention earlier on about some cameras being out? Or am I remembering from another show? A
I did not notice any mention of cameras at all. It is like the writers completely forgot that a prison has lots of surveillance cameras.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #30
betts4
I am Spartacus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Mike will be running the prison in about three episodes.
I could see that...lol Heck, maybe he could get his law degree from prison taking online courses.

I just watched the second episode and the bit about saving the company and such was boring. I did enjoy Louis hiring actors to look like interns. And weird guy touching Harvey's balls....lol.

Rachel needs to just chill out some. Mike was only in for 24 hours, and things work differently timewise in prision. Ugh. She is one character I will be happy not to see again when the show finally ends.

I will keep on watching till the end and it will be interested to see where it goes.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote