TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Balzer

Fear The Walking Dead "Ouroboros" 4/24/16 + TD Spoilers

Stupid

I can't decide what is more stupid. Things that happened on this episode, or the fact that I will keep watching the show.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Mini Aug '15 - ?
Mini Nov '14 - ?
Roamio Plus Sep '14 - ?
Roamio Sep '13 - ?
Premiere Jul '12 - ?
Premiere Aug '11 - Nov '14
TiVo HD Jul '07 - Jul '12
TiVo S1 Aug '01 - Jul '07
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
brianric

Thank you. I haven't seen this episode. Got to decide whether to waste 44 minutes of my time for delete my One Pass.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
BradJW

It's no walking dead - that's for sure.

BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Totally. I keep trying to remind myself that they're new to this.

But what did they expect to find at the shore? Just suitcases?!!

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post

To be fair, though, there were no zombies in sight and they had a good plan.

Shame Chris doesn't understand the importance of sticking to a good plan...

Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

They were mainly looking for antibiotics for Ofelia, but as long as they were going, they figured they'd try and find anything else they could use as well.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I understand why they went, just dumb to think if suitcase landed there, then why not bodies.

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I understand why they went, just dumb to think if suitcase landed there, then why not bodies.
But they didn't think that. They knew that there were no zombies at that site, but that there could be nearby. They took precautions.

Which Chris promptly ignored.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Chris is a dimwit. Well, they mostly all are, really. But Chris, especially.

Funny, the druggie is the only one with a clue. Though I'm not sure he realizes he has a clue. Soooo...

Maybe the boat owner to some extent isn't completely stupid. Except that he's doing his best to piss everyone else off without ever discussing anything about his reasons for anything he wants done.

No, they're all stupid.

If I was there in that situation, I'd feel obligated to kill them all before they got me killed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'm still totally confused about Strand's secrecy regarding Mexico and why Madison and Travis and Daniel seem so betrayed by it.

So Strand has apparently had the plan all along to go to this compound in Baja. He lied and told the characters they were going to San Diego, likely knowing that when they got to San Diego they'd find the city had been destroyed just like LA.

So when the lighthouse guy in the last episode confirmed that San Diego had been destroyed, why do Madison and Travis act all butt-hurt in this episode when Strand reveals this new destination? Shouldn't they have already realized San Diego was no longer an option and shouldn't they be thrilled that Strand has a viable backup plan?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
Cainebj

I thought it was a great episode -
Although - who didn't get what Travis was going to run into under the boat?

LOVE having the woman from the airplane in the episode.
I loved her in the web series.

Everything on the beach was pretty awesome.
The whole section when Nick is over the guy and the crabs to the woman from the airplane yelling Run They are Coming had me on the edge of my seat.

I would love to see Chris bite the dust.
I also wouldn't mind someone just taking a bullet to Stand's head.

Interesting Chris choosing to basically euthanize the airplane passenger and Nick realizing how to zombie camouflage himself.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm still totally confused about Strand's secrecy regarding Mexico and why Madison and Travis and Daniel seem so betrayed by it.

So Strand has apparently had the plan all along to go to this compound in Baja. He lied and told the characters they were going to San Diego, likely knowing that when they got to San Diego they'd find the city had been destroyed just like LA.

So when the lighthouse guy in the last episode confirmed that San Diego had been destroyed, why do Madison and Travis act all butt-hurt in this episode when Strand reveals this new destination? Shouldn't they have already realized San Diego was no longer an option and shouldn't they be thrilled that Strand has a viable backup plan?
Madison knows San Diego was never his plan...he was always going to Mexico (because of her conversation with Daniel).

I wouldn't be surprised if Strand expected (expects?) that by the time he got to Mexico, he'd be alone.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Madison knows San Diego was never his plan...he was always going to Mexico (because of her conversation with Daniel).

I wouldn't be surprised if Strand expected (expects?) that by the time he got to Mexico, he'd be alone.
So why did he bring these people along if it was never his intention for them to reach the final destination? He's the one that brought them to his beach house when they were planning to go to the desert. He's the one that brought them on board his ship when they likely would have been fine staying on land. He could have killed Daniel and left them when they stopped at the lighthouse island.

Basically, the characters' reactions to Strand have made no sense. And if Strand is not planning to kill them or leave them stranded somewhere, then why the secrecy about the destination? It should already be clear to the rest of the gang that he was abnormally-well prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. He had his gated compound stocked with supplies. He had a yacht parked off shore stocked with supplies. So why would any of the characters be surprised when he tells them he has another house in Mexico that's also stocked with supplies?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I don't know what Strand's thinking is, on anything. I suspect that he just got caught up in things...first with Junkie Boy, then with the others; he never found an excuse to get rid of them, or he thought they might be useful. I kinda get the impression that he intends (or intended) to be alone by the time he got where he's going.

It isn't out of character for even a brilliant, manipulative mastermind to do stupid things if it gets the story where it's supposed to go. (Out of character for the writers, that is, not for the characters. )

Old 04-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #15
Balzer

Note

Well, when I describe this episode as stupid, it wasn't that I thought their plan to go to shore to look for medicine and supplies was stupid. What was stupid was the execution of the plan.. They seem to wander around checking a few bags here and there, then waste time by trying on pilot's outfits and such. And Chris wanders off out of view of the others. I realize that I have more knowlege of the dangers of that new world, having watched TWD, but still. They have experienced enough of what is happening to know that they need to go get what they came for, get it done as fast as possible as a team, then get the hell out of there.

And then the dummy Nick who slips on the edge of a ledge and falls in next to the crabcake zombie. I rolled my eyes. Dumb. Although the crabcake zombie was pretty disgusting. I admit I actually had to look away. I don't think I ever had to do that on any Walking Dead show before.

The most interesting character in the story was the plane crash survivor. Probably the most interesting character on the entire series so far. I hope to see her again.

Which brings me to another "stupid". So Strand says they can't bring her and the boy on the boat. So they get rope and tow their life raft? Stupid. Just leave them where they are, shoot them, or take them on the boat to drop off somewhere else. But attaching their raft to the boat and dragging it made no sense other than to set up the "dramatic" moment where Strand stomps back to the stern and chops the rope to abandon them.

These are just the major stupid moments.. There were a few other minor ones..

That said.. I will continue to watch.. but it's getting harder. I still don't give a crap about any one of these characters.

Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #16
Hcour

When they decided to go ashore I thought "Gee, I wonder if they'll run into any zombies?" When Travis dived under the boat I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?" When Dwight the Troubled Teen went wandering off on his own I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?" When Daniel went off looking for Dwight the Troubled Teen I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?" When drugboy went looking for antibiotics I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?"

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #17
danterner
Not it!

Why Ouroboros? The only thing that comes to mind, maybe, would be the zombie eating the crabs eating the zombie. But an Ouroboros is supposed to consume itself, not two things each consuming the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
TeddS
Obfuscator

Seems a bit "on the nose" to name a character Strand when we now know he kinda wants to strand everyone else around him.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
Well, when I describe this episode as stupid, it wasn't that I thought their plan to go to shore to look for medicine and supplies was stupid. What was stupid was the execution of the plan.. They seem to wander around checking a few bags here and there, then waste time by trying on pilot's outfits and such. And Chris wanders off out of view of the others. I realize that I have more knowlege of the dangers of that new world, having watched TWD, but still.
I think it is true that WE know more than they do, but as far as I recall, this is the first time they encountered a horde and really had to fight their way out - the hospital they escaped from was as much military as it was walkers (and neither Chris or Alicia were with them) - I am sure there are other instances - but I totally accepted they thought there were no zombies by the wreckage and suddenly they were overrun.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #20
getreal
postcrastinator

Curious that the plane crash shredded the fuselage and caused the deaths of most of the passengers without evidence of shredded body parts anywhere ...

... And that spine injury where the backbone snapped and burst through the backfat and skin and shirt and jacket of the seated passenger who managed to remain alive until he could be brutally euthanized ...

... And that the youths scouring the baggage were such efficient warriors against the zombie horde that they all managed to get away from them ...

... Curiouser and curiouser ...

Last edited by getreal; 04-25-2016 at 07:16 PM.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, we already know TWD is set in an alternate universe where zombie movies never happened.

Maybe there are other differences as well!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

I'm out. Too much stupid for me. I can't take characters doing things that the average person (even under these circumstances) would say "wait, that's stupid, don't do that". Over and over and over again.

I think they've wasted a good premise with this show. It had the potential to be really interesting, and fun to watch, and it's turned into a struggle to stay tuned. I found myself watching this episode at FF1X (using captions to keep up), and then I realized... WTF am I doing?

There are many posts where we (as viewers) are struggling to stay interested in this. Far more than the typical shows we TCF'ers watch. I understand that dilemma. I want to like it, but it keeps pushing me away.

SP deleted.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #23
robojerk

Why do all teens on TV need to break the rules to put everyone in jeopardy? I sure hope someone smacked the **** out of him once they got to the boat.

What was up with long hug one they escaped the walkers but before they got in the zodiac boat?

robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 AM   #24
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Why do all teens on TV need to break the rules to put everyone in jeopardy? I sure hope someone smacked the **** out of him once they got to the boat.

What was up with long hug one they escaped the walkers but before they got in the zodiac boat?
Tension-building. First they tell what not to do, then when they do it you will immediately feel apprehensive. Likewise for the hug; only a complete idiot would do anything but pull the Zodiac towards the water when zombies are approaching, so watching them hug increases your anxiety while you watch.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #25
2004raptor
time to emancipate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
Stupid

I can't decide what is more stupid. Things that happened on this episode, or the fact that I will keep watching the show.
This is exactly my thoughts.

2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #26
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Likewise for the hug; only a complete idiot would do anything but pull the Zodiac towards the water when zombies are approaching, so watching them hug increases your anxiety while you watch.
Perfect example of why I deleted the SP. It feels artificial. The average person would react with action. Explode with action. On this show, they hem and haw and stall and hug, and them some teen does something really stupid... all the while, we are yelling "Get the ef out of there".

I can't handle shows that insult my intelligence. I also have a really difficult time handling almost any young people on shows. For some reason, they write them all as if they have no functioning brain.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #27
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Perfect example of why I deleted the SP. It feels artificial. The average person would react with action. Explode with action. On this show, they hem and haw and stall and hug, and them some teen does something really stupid... all the while, we are yelling "Get the ef out of there".

I can't handle shows that insult my intelligence. I also have a really difficult time handling almost any young people on shows. For some reason, they write them all as if they have no functioning brain.
Is it our perception that has changed over time regarding the way youths are portrayed, or the writing that has changed? I completely agree with you, btw.

How is it that we can accept TWD yet have such a struggle with FTWD?

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #28
Tsiehta

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Is it our perception that has changed over time regarding the way youths are portrayed, or the writing that has changed? I completely agree with you, btw.

How is it that we can accept TWD yet have such a struggle with FTWD?
Because back in TWD days, it was fun to groan in unison "Stupid Carl!!"

But here in FTWD, they are ALL Carl, and it's pretty much impossible to take.

Tsiehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #29
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think a series based on following one walker around each episode would probably provide more interesting possibilities than what they've been doing with this show so far.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #30
wprager

There was a new episode? I hadn't noticed, what with GoT and Outlander.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote