TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Game of Thrones: Season FIVE & (all) Book Discussion ** spoilers **

I've created a new thread to discuss the events of Season 5 and how they compare to the storyline from the books. As book-readers know, the many various plotlines of books 4 and 5 take place simultaneously, so the events in the show this season will be drawn from both books. As such, spoilers from *all* books are in play here.

As per the general agreement reached previously, the individual TV episode threads are off-limits to book discussion.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
Shaunnick

/subscribe

Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
pjenkins
God bless Texas :)

Part of my issue with GoT book threads are I need to go re-read the books as it's been so long since the initial read! My one hope is that do the Arya storyline well, I really like her character growth in the book.

pjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjenkins View Post
Part of my issue with GoT book threads are I need to go re-read the books as it's been so long since the initial read! My one hope is that do the Arya storyline well, I really like her character growth in the book.
That's part of what I *like* about these book threads. It's been so long since I've read them, I often don't remember much of a specific storyline, and how it differs from the TV series, until it gets brought up here.

In this week's Entertainment Weekly GoT double issue, they ("TPTB") talked about how they are diverging more and more from the books. In an effort to tell a better TV story, they are taking more liberties as time passes. If you are a GoT fan (and would you be reading this thread if you weren't), you should pick up this magazine. LOTS of great info and behind the scenes.

Spoilers, but not really spoilers, but some people get picky...
Spoiler:

The entire "Iron Islands" story is being dropped. Not in the TV show at all. And there are some deaths coming that haven't happened in the books. They are being specifically vague as to whether they don't die at all in the books, or die in books 6/7. Plus of course everyone knows by now, that Dani & the Imp meet up this season, and that hasn't happened yet in the books.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I think Arya will get alot of storytime this season. Her faceless training in the books was one of my most favorite parts.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
As such, spoilers from *all* books are in play here.
Just so I know whether to avoid the thread, are you allowing spoilers from book 6 which already has some released material?

DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJL View Post
Just so I know whether to avoid the thread, are you allowing spoilers from book 6 which already has some released material?
If I had a vote, I would vote No. Officially released books only.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I would say officially released books only.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #9
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

There is released material from book 6?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Yeah, Martin (or his publisher?) released some chapters online that were originally written for Book 5 but were held back for 6.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
I remember reading the pre-released chapter, and then thinking "I know less now than before I read this". His chapters can be an exercise in futility. Taken as a whole (ie, a book), yeah they're something unique. But a chapter on its lonesome can be... less than fulfilling. Like looking at a single puzzle piece and having no idea what the puzzle is supposed to be.

But hey, what do we know?

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That's part of what I *like* about these book threads. It's been so long since I've read them, I often don't remember much of a specific storyline, and how it differs from the TV series, until it gets brought up here.

In this week's Entertainment Weekly GoT double issue, they ("TPTB") talked about how they are diverging more and more from the books. In an effort to tell a better TV story, they are taking more liberties as time passes. If you are a GoT fan (and would you be reading this thread if you weren't), you should pick up this magazine. LOTS of great info and behind the scenes.

Spoilers, but not really spoilers, but some people get picky...
Spoiler:

The entire "Iron Islands" story is being dropped. Not in the TV show at all. And there are some deaths coming that haven't happened in the books. They are being specifically vague as to whether they don't die at all in the books, or die in books 6/7. Plus of course everyone knows by now, that Dani & the Imp meet up this season, and that hasn't happened yet in the books.

Similar spoiler

Spoiler:
I was searching for casting news yesterday and was surprised to find that they didn't cast Arianne. I guess this has been known since last Summer, but I hadn't looked into it until now.

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #13
pjenkins
God bless Texas :)

Martin has just released a new chapter from Sansa's POV - website is swamped so taking a while to load

pjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

It was worthless. Silly filler.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjenkins View Post
Martin has just released a new chapter from Sansa's POV - website is swamped so taking a while to load
I think maybe it would be better to leave out similar items from this thread, with Sansa it's no big deal as we'd expect to see POV from her, but other characters, just knowing they have a POV in book six could give something away.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
I think maybe it would be better to leave out similar items from this thread, with Sansa it's no big deal as we'd expect to see POV from her, but other characters, just knowing they have a POV in book six could give something away.
oh give me a break. Just delete your subscription to this thread now.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #17
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
oh give me a break. Just delete your subscription to this thread now.
I nicely suggested that future posts similar to what he posted would be better left out of the thread.

You should try to read the posts earlier in the thread that discussed whether info from book 6 belongs here. If you have trouble with that try calling 1-800-abc-defg.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
I nicely suggested that future posts similar to what he posted would be better left out of the thread.

You should try to read the posts earlier in the thread that discussed whether info from book 6 belongs here. If you have trouble with that try calling 1-800-abc-defg.
I can't stand when people whine about things that are not even close to spoilers. Just because a particular character has a POV in the next book does not mean it's a spoiler. It's not like GRRM is releasing POV chapters from Ned Stark.

If you want NO information whatsoever from anything in the GoT universe, then you seriously need to reconsider whether you want to be in this thread.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #19
Shaunnick

Quote:
I can't stand when people whine about things that are not even close to spoilers. Just because a particular character has a POV in the next book does not mean it's a spoiler. It's not like GRRM is releasing POV chapters from Ned Stark.

If you want NO information whatsoever from anything in the GoT universe, then you seriously need to reconsider whether you want to be in this thread.
Hey, while normally I would agree with you, if you have not read the books you would be unaware that one person ends book five on a very sour note, so sour that knowing if that person has POV chapter means that the person in question survived the situation.

For the book readers that don't want to be spoiled about that, it would be a very big deal.

Book 6 info should be spoilered.

Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #20
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Hey, while normally I would agree with you, if you have not read the books you would be unaware that one person ends book five on a very sour note, so sour that knowing if that person has POV chapter means that the person in question survived the situation.

For the book readers that don't want to be spoiled about that, it would be a very big deal.

Why would you be in this thread if you hadn't read the books? I said nothing about the content of the chapter. I'm not spoilering any chapter titles or POVs. I think it's dumb to think that that could spoil anything.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #21
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Oh, and there's no way that they are going to release a chapter from Jon Snow's perspective before the book is released for that very reason. They are only going to release chapters that have no impact on the over all story.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #22
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
That makes perfect sense to me.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #23
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Here you go:

Spoiler:
Book 6 info

Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #24
DavidJL

Quote:
If you were capable of scrolling up to the first few posts of the thread you'd see we discussed this in advance. We want to discuss the GoT universe, but not book 6. Here, I'll save you the trouble of scrolling.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
If I had a vote, I would vote No. Officially released books only.
Quote:

Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #25
DavidJL

Quote:
Quote:
Try reading my post again, maybe try it slowly. That is about the most politely placed concern for potential future spoilers you're ever gonna see. No demands, complaints or even requests to spoilerize that post. Just a gentle suggestion that a similar post about a different chapter might give something away in the future. If anyone is whining it's you.

Shaun nick pointed out one concern, there are at least 2 other characters that we'd like to find out their "similar" future when we read book 6. If you need to express your thoughts on book 6 like your brilliant editorial on the Sansa chapter why not start a thread on book 6. It's not too tough, I'm sure we could help you with it if needed.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:09 AM   #26
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Try reading my post again, maybe try it slowly. That is about the most politely placed concern for potential future spoilers you're ever gonna see. No demands, complaints or even requests to spoilerize that post. Just a gentle suggestion that a similar post about a different chapter might give something away in the future. If anyone is whining it's you. Shaun nick pointed out one concern, there are at least 2 other characters that we'd like to find out their "similar" future when we read book 6. If you need to express your thoughts on book 6 like your brilliant editorial on the Sansa chapter why not start a thread on book 6. It's not too tough, I'm sure we could help you with it if needed.
I have read it and I still think the idea that a chapter title is a spoiler is stupid. You can complain all you want, but it's not. Regardless, the publishers would never be so stupid as to release a chapter early that told us that Jon snow lives or gave away any other thing. That's why the chapters that have been released have been boring. Oops, did I spoil that too?

Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #27
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Since you are the OP, why not just PM the mods and have them change the thread title to be Books 1-5 discussion only?

hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #28
stellie93

No matter how polite it was, I was not happy to see that we set up this thread for those of us up to date on both, and on the first page we are still discussing spoilers. I thought that was the whole point of this thread--to avoid the need for the S word.

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
No matter how polite it was, I was not happy to see that we set up this thread for those of us up to date on both, and on the first page we are still discussing spoilers. I thought that was the whole point of this thread--to avoid the need for the S word.
You must be new here...

Old 04-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #30
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I think if you look at post 1 and post 8 the OP made it clear that by all books he intended books 1-5. Some people are now saying that book 6 is likely to be officially released in late 2016.